004

The Heart's Best Mistake

August 2012

 

 

Mark glanced up as he heard the front door of his three-floor apartment open.

“T?” He called out and left the bed.

Marti had dropped her backpack on the couch and was getting herself a glass of water.

“Halmae called earlier, she sends her regards and wishes you success at Oxford.”

Mark nodded and leaned against the counter, the white gold band on his finger suddenly felt heavy.

And, I’ve decided, Mark.” She faced him.

About? Yale?

“Brown, actually.”

“That sounds great, T.” Mark grinned at her.

“I know, I’m leaving before the term ends.” She said as she pulled out some bread and ham.

Sandwich?” She looked up; Mark nodded and proceeded to get some cheese and tomatoes.

“Oh, and congratulations, Mark.”

“Well, I was waiting for that.” He pointed out with open arms.

“I’m actually congratulating you on graduating, not getting married.” She stated flatly as she hugged him back.

“I know. Still, thanks.”

 

 

“No, you can’t leave.” BamBam frowned, Youngjae made a show of childishly pushing his plate away.

“Uhm, I can..I got accepted at Brown.” Martina mused as she chewed on her steak.

The group was having dinner at Mark’s place, they were having a small gathering for Marti. She was leaving the country in a week.

Mark chuckled as Jackson made a face at his wife.

“Still, who’s going to help us with Financial Management? Mister Turner is an~”

“You have Jinyoung, Bam, you’ll live.”

“In case you’ve forgotten, Jinyoung hyung graduated together with Mark hyung. Jackson and Jaebum hyung too. It’s just going to be the three of us.” Yugyeom pointed out.

Mona paused and blinked.

“Don’t worry, I’ll pray for you guys.” She nodded quickly, Jackson laughed.

 

 

Marti was standing at the veranda; she was on the phone with Harin.

“Are you sure?” Harin asked for the third time.

“I’m sure, I’ll be fine there, you don’t have to worry. At some point I will have to move out of London, right?” She grinned as she leaned against the railings.

“I don’t think your decision to suddenly go to Brown is all about just moving to a new place, or you falling in love with the school.”

Before Martina could reply, Harin spoke again.

“You once told me you were happy Westminster. Even though the amount of Asian elite made you feel weirded out.”

“It’s more of like, I just got sick of the weather here, H.”

“Is this because you got married? M, I know, I mean, I was there when it all happened. I know how you wanted to fight back against the elders, but somehow you didn’t.”

“H~”

“Look, you’ve been married for two months now, and poof, you suddenly have plans moving to the US, M. You told me you guys decided to try this whole married thing. But you’re leaving the country.”

“It’s…just..difficult, okay? I mean, Mark’s a friend, I just..He’s still hung up on this girl and I just want to give him space. And I need the space too, I’m not used to this. Too many eyes are on us now.”

She heard Harin sigh from the other line.

“Just give me a call when things get difficult, or if you’re bored. I love you, M.”

She smiled before ending the call and slid her phone in her back pocket. She heard the glass doors open, Martina glanced behind her.

“Hey, wife.” Mark smiled as he approached her, then he pressed his lips against hers quickly and pulled away.

Are they drunk yet?” She asked as she peeked by his shoulder, she saw the two butlers hoisting Jackson up his seat.

Mark chuckled and plopped down on the chair across her.

You look bothered.” Mark said as he patted on his lap, she sighed and planted herself on his lap and wrapped her arms around his neck.

Harin told me horror stories about living alone in the US. Not very comforting.” She whispered, she felt Mark smile and he just rubbed her back.

 

Still wont change my mind though.

 

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++