021

The Heart's Best Mistake

2014, Taiwan

 

 

“Is it okay to greet the elders dressed like this?” Mona asked again, she was referring to her slitted knee skinny jeans and yellow peplum top.

“It’s just lunch here at home, T.” Mark mused from the bed, he was reading the day’s paper.

“Still, I feel..frumpy.” She muttered as she put on her pearl earrings, her engagement and wedding rings and her Audemars Piguet watch.

“I’m even wearing jeans, like you.” Mark put the paper down and looked at her. The couple was at the Tuan ancestral home located at an exclusive village.

“Oh, you’re wearing it. Nice.” She chuckled as she sat beside him on the bed, she grabbed his wrist and looked at the watch.

“I was really hoping you’d like it.” She nodded as she examined the Cartier piece.

“I do. Thanks, T.” Mark smiled before pressing his lips against the back of her hand briefly. She grinned.

“Ya, after lunch, don’t go anywhere. I have something show you.”

You? You have something show me? We’re in Taiwan T, what can you possibly show me?” He chuckled before following her to the door.

Prepare to be surprised, husband.

 

 

 

The family was done with lunch, Mark’s aunts and uncles were enjoying coffee and tea at the gardens, while the youngsters were left with the elders at the air conditioned living room.

Joey must find a good wife.” The elder Tuan spoke, Mona looked at the lady with amusement.

But he’s still in school, nai nai.” Mark nodded, Joey sent a nervous look towards his sister-in-law, Martina grinned at him. Mark who was seated next to her had one arm behind her shoulders, placed on top of the couch’s back.

You got married before your graduated. Besides, isn’t it better to marry young?” Grandma Tuan looked at her husband.

Look at your brother, he’s happy.” Grandma Tuan pointed towards Mark and Mona, the girl had to bite down her lip to keep herself from laughing. Joey looked nervous and cornered.

Nai, I have a lot things I want to do.

What are you saying? Look at your brother. He’s taking his master’s while being married.

Mark could feel Mona shaking beside him, he smiled before slightly pulling her back to lean on him.

Still, nai~

Or do you think having a wife will just bother you? What kind of thinking is that Joey?” She nagged.

Martina hid her face on the crook of Mark’s neck.

Are you badgering my youngest to get married, ma?” Their father entered the house.

But he’s still a baby.” Mrs. Tuan chimed in with a warm smile, her eyes went to the couple. Mona was obviously giggling while she hid her face, Mark had one hand resting on her knee, and unthinkingly he was poking on the exposed skin on her knee. The lady smiled, somehow she knew that this was the girl for her son.

 

 

 

Martina stepped out from the bathroom, she had her hair up and changed into a pair of sneakers. Her phone started to ring, she rushed to pick it up.

“Oppa? Wow, I’m getting a call from my cousin.” She mused as she stepped out of the room, in search for Mark.

“I just called to check on you. How are you Mona?” The male asked, Mona could hear the noise behind him.

“I’m in Taiwan, family stuff. I’m doing fine, oppa. You? I heard you were injured last month.”

“I was…but I’m better now. I’ll be in New York next week, come by at our concert. I’ll give you tickets.” He mused, T grinned.

“I’ll try, oppa. Thanks for inviting me.”

“Anything for the princess Jeon. See ya.” He ended the call, Mona exhaled and climbed down the steps.

 

 

“Can I borrow you for a bit?”

Mark looked up, Mona was standing by the sliding doors, he nodded. He excused himself from his uncles and stood up.

Something up?” He asked as he reached her.

No, oppa called me earlier. I realized it’s been almost a year since I last saw him.” She said, Mark smiled.

You miss him?

A little.” She nodded before taking Mark’s hand.

I have to show you something. Come.” She pulled Mark to the front door and they were at the garden.

You know, T, Hyemin called.” Mark said quietly, Mona glanced at him and nodded.

It’s kind of..difficult having her around. I mean, we have to be together always, but~

Mona bit her lip and shook her head.

We can talk about that later, but,” Martina faced him, Mark paused.

Advance happy birthday, Mark Yi En Tuan!” She exclaimed just as they reached a clearing.

Aston-Martin-Vulcan-Goodwood-1080x720.jp

Mark stopped, he was staring at the Aston Martin Vulcan parked before him.

“It was supposed to be delivered in England, but you planned this impromptu trip so~” She yelped when Mark pulled her to him.

Thank you, T.” He chuckled, Mona grinned.

No problem.” She nodded, Mark kissed her cheek before walking to the car. Mona crossed her arms as she watched him.

Yes, I know. It’s hard not being able to go to Hyemin. I’m sorry. But I think it’s time to let go now, Mark. I won’t let this marriage stop you from going to her.

 

 

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++