Four is a freaking crowd

Let's play pretend

It had been about two months since Jihoon got himself tangled in this web of lies, but so far, their plan has been going smoothly. The entirety of South Korea seem to have believed that resident playboy Kwon Soonyoung, has decided to settle down with Lee Jihoon, and the said playboy has indeed been heading to the clubs less and less. Their relationship has definitely progressed, it has moved from being enemies, to acquaintances and now it resides in a huge grey area between friendship, and possibly something more. Jihoon doesn’t want to think about it. He is fine with the way things are and he has to constantly remind himself that the act will eventually end, where they would ‘break up’ and be strangers again. Jihoon doesn’t want to think about that even more, and so he just settles for living like this for now.

~

That morning, both Jihoon and Soonyoung were summoned into the President’s office.

“What did you do Soonyoung?”

“I swear I did nothing this time.”

Both men stepped into the office, head bowing meekly, not knowing what to expect. The President raised his hand and motioned for the both of them to come closer. He handed them both a file each. “The Kim Corporation wants to advertise their latest fragrance line. And they only want the best. Their Publicity Director would be coming over later in the day to meet the both of you. Take a look at the files and maybe brainstorm some ideas.”

“The both of us?” Soonyoung questioned.

“Both of you. It’s another collaboration. I’m sure the two of you should be able to work well together now.”

~

“Ergh, just when hell week ended.” Jihoon groaned out, sitting together with Soonyoung in the meeting room.

“Oh come on Jihoon, this could be fun!”

“Ever the optimist.”

“Ever the pessimist.”

Kim Corporation owned a huge chain of shopping malls in South Korea. They had their own clothing lines, fragrances and other businesses as well. They seldom outsourced their advertising to Kwon Advertising, but after the famed La’ Zelle advertisement that won awards came out, Kim Corporation wanted the same results. Thus they chose Kwon Soonyoung and Lee Jihoon. The pressure was definitely burdensome, but they had no choice but to meet expectations.

Jihoon heard the meeting door open, signalling the entrance of the Director of Kim Corporations that they were supposed to meet. He turned his head, freezing when his eyes fell on the person who entered the room. Beside him, he hears Soonyounng greeting, “Hello, I am Kwon Soonyoung, this is Lee Jihoon. It is nice to meet you Mr…?”

“Mr Kim. Kim Mingyu.” The Director replies, beaming his ever-charming smile, eyes directed towards Jihoon.

Soonyoung who seemed to have noticed Jihoon’s silence, nudged him in the ribs, as he directed Kim Mingyu to the seat opposite them. As if snapped out of a trance, Jihoon cried out, “Kim Mingyu! What the hell?”

Breaking out into laughter, Director Kim clapped his hands together like a small boy. Heading towards Jihoon, he pulled the said male into a bone-crushing hug. Soonyoung’s eyebrows shot up to heaven when Jihoon hugged back. He felt something bitter on his tongue.

“About time your recognised me hyung! I was really hurt for a moment.”

“Oh shut up. What are you doing here? You didn’t even contact me at all you asswipe.”

Releasing Jihoon from his hold, Mingyu peered down with the most endearing look, “I lost all contact when I moved. You have no idea how happy I was when I recognised your name when the Corporation wanted to collaborate with you.”

Soonyoung cleared his throat uncomfortably, “Gentlemen, how about we get back to business? Your tear-filled reunion can wait.”

~

The meeting was as per normal. Director Kim informed the two males what his company wanted from the advertisement. The new fragrance would target both males and females, it was kind of like a set. Their tag line for the product was complex simplicity. The two men were given quite some time to work with, evident that the Kim Corporation only wanted perfect results. And perfection needed time. They would be working closely together with their Publicity Director, the one and only Kim Mingyu. The Kim Mingyu who was also Jihoon’s University junior. Soonyoung closes his laptop and starts to organise the files laid out on the meeting table. Once again, he can only watch on as Jihoon and Mingyu exchange their phone numbers. He rolls his eyes and calls out to Jihoon, informing him that he was returning back to his office. Jihoon barely spared him a glance, replying with a wave of the hand, eliciting a scoff from Soonyoung.

Soonyounng clasped and unclasped his fists as he made his way back to his office. Seokmin caught sight of his friend and bounded towards him only to be stopped by a hand in his face. “Not now Seokmin. Not today.”

~

Seokmin and Seungkwan were seated in the lounge, both sipping on their hot chocolate.

“Soonyoung was ing upset today?”

“Really? Jihoon was absolutely jolly! Apparently he met up with his University dongsaeng after years of losing contact.”

“They must have been very close then.”

“Yeah I think they were! I saw them hugging in the hallways before the guy left.”

“Hugging?!”

Seungkwan jutted out his lips, nodding in response to Seokmin.

“Now that explains Soonyoung’s behaviour. He gets jealous super easily.”

“Really? Now that is a surprise. Considering him a being a playboy, I thought he would be fine when others flirt around.”

Seokmin belts out Taeyang’s ‘Only look at me’, causing Seungkwan to chuckle. But suddenly serious, Seungkwan sets down his cup on the table. “Their act is progressing, don’t you think? You don’t suppose they could be actually falling for each other?”

“I can’t speak for Jihoon, but Soonyoung, definitely. He will deny it and reject the idea. I’m afraid he may screw this up.”

“He screwed them both over. This whole act would never be Jihoon’s idea.”

Seokmin sighed. Soonyoung may be stupid at times, but if anything, that man will always right his wrongs. Seokmin just wishes that things won’t be too late by then.

~

Jihoon was seated opposite Mingyu in one of the BBQ restaurants near their workplace. MIngyu had promised to meet with him for dinner and thus, here they were, laughing over old times.

“Oh my god. And do you remember Mrs Park?”

“She was the most boring lecturer. I heard she finally retired.”

“About time… The students need salvation you know.”

Jihoon chuckled, “And what happened to you Mingyu. Never heard from you after I graduated, and I had to find out from someone else that you moved to America. I thought I was your favourite hyung.”

“You still are my favourite hyung. Dad made me study business in California. I couldn’t say anything against him.”

“The least you could do was to tell me or something. I thought you forgot about me.”

Resting his chin on his palms, Mingyu leaned forward, petting Jihoon on his head with his free hand. “You must be crazy thinking I would ever forget you hyung. When I saw the list of people we were thinking of collaborating with, my heart stopped the moment I saw your name.”

“So you chose Kwon Advertising for old time’s sakes?” Jihoon frowned. He didn’t like riding on things other than his own hard work.

“No, I chose Kwon Advertising for their abilities. You were the bonus.”

Jihoon finally smiled as Mingyu wiggled his eyebrows. That kid would forever act like a puppy. Tension gone, the two men clinked their glasses of soju, toasting to their past memories and to new ones, ones that would be formed together.

~

Jihoon had arrived home and rewarded himself with a hot bath. He was about to lie in bed when he phone sounded. Plucking it off the dining table, he made his way to his room, opening a message from Soonyoung.

You left work early today.

Yeah. Met with Mingyu for dinner. The director from today?

I remember. How could I forget that face?

I know. He definitely grew up. Looks really good now.

He’s okay.

Are you kidding? I’m a guy and I think he’s hot.

Well, I think I’m hotter.

Well, I think you need to get your eyes checked.

Jihoon, I kind of need to tell you something.

Soonyoung froze. He hit the send button before he could change his mind and now he was regretting it. What would he tell Jihoon? He couldn’t possibly say ‘Hey Jihoon, I think I hate this Kim Mingyu. No no I barely know the guy, but the fact that he is chummy with you irks me and makes me hate him.’ Soonyoung was panicking inside, mind racing to think of an excuse or some kind of rubbish if Jihoon were to reply him. But his fear was unfounded for Jihoon did not reply.

Jihoon?

Just ignore that previous message okay? Good night.

~

Jihoon woke up to a cryptic message left by Soonyoung. He had unknowingly fallen asleep on his bed, unable to reply him. He sighed as he got about his daily routine, leaving for the office. Jihoon cranked up the volume of his radio, something did not sit well with him that morning. He felt as if something bad was going to happen.

~

Soonyoung had burst through his office door the moment made himself comfortable on his own seat.

“Jihoon! This is kind of an emergency!”

“What now.” Jihoon groaned out, 9am was too early to deal with drama.

“There’s a party this Sunday. Business associates and .”

“Good for you Kwon. Have fun.”

“No you idiot. You’re going to have to go as my plus one.”

“Are you kidding me? I’m not a people person Soonyoung.”

“Everyone already knows you are my boyfriend. It would be weird if you’re not there with me.”

“Fine… You were not asking me to the party weren’t you?”

“Nope, I was just informing you. By the way Jihoon, I love you.”

Jihoon paused, hands stopping midair while he was trying to grab a file. What? His heart started racing and it was a good thing Jihoon decided to skip breakfast that morning, for he would have vomited everything out there and then. He squeaked out, “What did you say Soonyoung?”

Soonyoung raised his eyebrows, smirk playing on his lips. “You heard me the first time around but since you seem to want to hear it again so badly. I love you Lee Jihoon.”

Yeap. Jihoon was going to vomit, with or without breakfast. He stared at Soonyoung straight in the eyes, searching for any hint of a joke. Soonyoung stared back with just as much conviction. Jihoon gulped the ball forming in his throat, legs shaking nervously. Was Soonyoung being serious?