Clearing the air

Let's play pretend

“What are you doing here Director Kwon?”

“I could say the exact same thing to you Director Choi.”

“I’m his boyfriend.” Soonyoung deadpanned.

Seungcheol scoffed, heading to the kitchen to place the bags of groceries in his hands. “Right. His boyfriend. I almost forgot.”

“And why are you here?”

“I’m Jihoon’s best friend. Since we were seven mind you. Where is he.”

Soonyoung bit his tongue. He did not know their relationship dated decades back. Pointing to the bedroom with his thumb, he stepped aside, taking a seat on the couch once again. Seungcheol stalked past him and headed right to Jihoon. Moments later, Seungcheol emerged with a sleepy Jihoon in his arms, rubbing his eyes. “Cheol, did you bring food?”

“I did. But I’m going to have to assemble them together into something edible.”

Placing Jihoon to rest on the couch, Seungcheol rolled up his sleeves and entered the kitchen. Soonyoung could only stare on as Seungcheol worked away, chopping vegetables and meat. He felt so small there and then.

“Soonyoung? What are you doing here? Wait. How did you get in?”

“I was here for a while now Jihoon. You opened the door for me, don’t you remember?”

“Oh so that was you? Now it makes sense, I was wondering why Seungcheol needed me to open the door for him. Thanks Soonyoung, I think you saved me from death today.”

“I know right? You totally owe me one now.”

Jihoon weakly punched Soonyoung in his arm, missing the bitter look on his face. “Stay for dinner. The least I could do for you.”

“You’re not even the one cooking.”

“Then leave.”

“I would not be Kwon Soonyoung if I said no to free food.”

~

The three men were seated on the dining table, bowls of piping hot congee placed in front of them. “This smells amazing Cheol. Thanks.” Jihoon remarked, placing the spoon in his mouth.

“You talk like as if I don’t cook for you on a regular basis.”

“Just showing my appreciation you . I’ll take it back then.”

Seungcheol chuckled, and stuck his tongue out at Jihoon. Soonyoung felt terribly out of place, quietly eating his food, watching the scene unfold in front of him. Legs shaking and fingers fidgeting with his dress shirt, only one thought crossed his mind. I want to leave. Now.

~

“You sure you don’t want to stay a little longer?”

“Yeah I’m sure. I was here the whole day, got to catch up with some work.”

“Sorry about that Soonyoung. Thanks for coming over. Really means a lot.”

“No problem, I had to make sure that my ‘boyfriend’ was doing okay, especially after Seungkwan told me that you were sick. Couldn’t act like as if I didn’t care right?” Soonyoung mentioned as his fingers made imaginary quotations in the air. He noticed the exact moment Jihoon’s face fell, expression unreadable.

“Right, had to keep the act going right? Like I said before Soonyoung, you really deserve an Oscar. I’ll see you at work on Monday. Bye.” Jihoon smiled and beckoned Soonyoung out of the house, shutting his front door.

Soonyoung stood dumbfounded. Jihoon was smiling, but that smile was fake. He groaned as he dragged himself to his car. Why did he have to say stupid things to ruin the moment?

~

Seungcheol was lying on the couch, watching the television when Jihoon joined him. “Soonyoung was apparently here the whole day looking after you.”

“He was acting Cheol. Seungkwan told him about me being sick. If he were to walk back into his office like nothing happened, it would be too suspicious.”

Raising his eyebrows, Seungcheol hummed in reply. He saw the look on Soonyoung’s face when he entered earlier. It was definitely not the look of obligation.

~

Jihoon had a serious case of the Monday blues. He was extra grumpy that morning, and the fact that he was still recovering did nothing to help the situation. He grabbed his mug and entered the lounge. He was pouring himself a cup of black coffee when Soonyoung walked in. “Jihoon, about yesterday, “

“What about yesterday? I said thanks for coming over didn’t I?”

“no, you misunderstood me when I said, wait. Is that coffee you’re drinking?”

“It is. Anything wrong with what I’m drinking?”

Soonyoung shook his head apprehensively, “Nothing... Anyway… what I meant to say was that I went over to your place because I was worried. I was genuinely concerned when you did not show up to work.”

“And like I said Soonyoung, I appreciate the effort. But you don’t have to try so hard all the time. No one is watching us now.” Jihoon had exited the lounge, leaving a sighing Soonyoung behind.

~

“Seokmin, I ed up big time.”

“Why? Got into a fight with Jihoon? I mean Director Lee.”

“Yeah I said something really stupid and now he’s pissed.”

“Well then just deliver your real message to him.”

“I have tried talking to him today. It was rough…”

“Don’t just tell him you idiot. Show him.”

Soonyoung’s finger found its way to his mouth, teeth chewing on his nails. Show him. Why didn’t I think of that? He immediately pulled out his phone and keyed in a message.

~

Ding! Jihoon pulled out his phone from his pockets, opening the new message without glancing at the screen.

Will you be free this weekend?

Jihoon read his text and decided to re-read the text again for the next three times. Was Soonyoung ‘asking him out’ asking him out or was it to prepare for another act? He didn’t think his heart would be ready for whatever Soonyoung had planned, real or not.

No.

Oh come on Jihoon!

I’m busy Soonyoung.

With what?

It’s none of your business.

Are you meeting Director Choi?

Director Choi? What? No, I’m not.

Fine. My mom wants you over for lunch again. Should I tell her you said no?

You should have just said so! Which day and what time?

Saturday! I’ll pick you up at 11.

Fine.

~

Soonyoung had stopped by the florist on his way to Jihoon’s, picking up a lovely bouquet of lilies and baby’s-breath. As he knocked on Jihoon’s door, bouquet in hand, he tried to do some last minute touch ups on his hair. Jihoon opened the door, dressed in a simple blue button-up and some shorts that went up to his knees. “Here. These are for you.” Soonyoung smiled as he shyly handed Jihoon the bouquet.

“Soonyoung, did you not hear me the first time? I don’t need flowers.”

“I heard you. But that is against my principles.”

“Wait here," muttered Jihoon as he headed back in to place the flowers on his table. There was no way he would be seen carrying a bouquet out in broad daylight.

~

Jihoon was tapping his fingers against his thigh, softly humming along to the song playing on the radio. Soonyoung kept glancing over to Jihoon as he drove.

“Take a picture Kwon. It’ll last longer that way.”

“Hmm?”

“Forget it. This isn’t the way to your place, are we heading somewhere else for lunch?”

Soonyoung chuckled, “Yeah we are.”

“We are having lunch with your mother today…right…?”

“Hmm… about that. It’s just us.”

“Kwon Soonyoung! You said your mother wanted to have lunch!”

“If I did not use mom do you think you would have said yes to meeting me?”

Jihoon shuts his mouth, speechless. He wordlessly turned back to the front, arms crossed over his chest.

“Yeah. I didn’t think so too. Just go along with me today babe. You’ll have fun.”

~

Jihoon scoffed, staring at the great outdoors before him, occasionally side-eyeing Soonyoung. “And you think this is fun?”

“It’s the park Jihoon. It is fun!”

“You’re an idiot you know that?”

Pulling out a picnic map and a basket from the trunk, Soonyoung skipped over to Jihoon, nudging him in the arm, “Your idiot.”

After picking a nice shady spot under a large tree with a view of the lake, Soonyoung had laid out the picnic mat and motioned Jihoon over to take seat. He opened the large basket, setting down plates and utensils for the both of them before revealing the main attraction. Homemade beef casserole. “Take a bite, don’t be shy. I made it myself.”

“What lies. You can’t cook Soonyoung. You told me that before.”

“I can’t. But I spent the last week learning this one dish, and I finally managed to perfect it! You said you loved casserole didn’t you?”

“Yeah… I did. A few months back? Wow. It’s good Soonyoung!” Jihoon’s eyes sparkled as he took his first mouth. Unable to resist, he continually spooned mouths of casserole, relishing its taste.

Soonyoung raised his hand to pat Jihoon on the head, “Glad you like it babe.”

After finishing their meal, the two men just laid on the mat, relaxing under the cool shade. They were surrounded by sounds of children playing and dogs running around. The birds were singing in the trees and the sounds of the lake created a very peaceful atmosphere. If happiness had a sound, it could have sounded like this. Jihoon’s eyelids started feeling heavy when the slight shuffling beside him pulled him back to his senses. Soonyoung was now sitting up, staring into the far distance. “I’m sorry Jihoon. About what I said, pretending to be concerned. I was lying then. I felt really guilty. The night before, you looked like and yet I just sent you away without a second glance.”

“Don’t be dumb Soonyoung. None of this is your fault. Is that what today was? To apologise? I’m not mad at you. I mean, I was annoyed, but it’s fine. I’m over it.”

Soonyoung shook his head, and grabbed Jihoon’s hand, he held them like they were the most fragile things in the world. “Today is not to apologise. Today is because I wanted to spend time with you. As your boyfriend.”

Jihoon sat up from his previous position, chin resting on his knees. He tightened his hold on Soonyoung’s hands. That was his reply.

~

Jihoon was home from his outing with Soonyoung and was doing some cleaning around his apartment. He picked the bouquet from Soonyoung, chuckling as he took a whiff of the flowers. A small brown envelope peeked out from the bottom of the bouquet, falling to the ground as Jihoon took the flowers to the kitchen, finding a vase to put them in.

In the end, he settled for placing the flowers in his largest cup (as he had no vase, but honestly he wasn’t in his right mind when he thought he had one). As he placed the cup of flowers on his dining table, he felt something rough beneath his feet, bending down; he picked up the brown square and noticed ‘Jihoon’ scrawled on its surface. Unfurling the envelope, he unfolded the piece of paper inside.

Jihoon, the fact that you are reading this now means that you survived the day with me and that you didn’t dump the flowers. I really hope you enjoyed yourself. I know I have said this a million times by now but I’m sorry for that day. This romantic relationship may be pretend, but I feel that our relationship is slowly growing, and hey, who knows, we could be friends. Not everything I do is calculated or unreal. I just wanted you to know that. Oh and one more thing. I’m glad it’s you. I’m glad it is you who is my pretend boyfriend.

Jihoon folded the note and tucked it back into its envelope, a small bitter smile on his face. He wonders when they progressed from enemies to acquaintances. He thinks back to all the small talk over texts and the sneaked glances in the workplace. He thinks back to the time Soonyoung proposed this ridiculous idea, and to the time he stupidly agreed.

He doesn’t know if he is pretending or if he is not anymore. 

Authors note:

Hey everyone! I have no idea how or why but I managed to hit over 100 subscribers! I want to thank every single person who read this story and commented etc. Your support brings me so much joy. I'm not even kidding but every comment gets me super excited  

I've been reading comments and there are some Jicheol VS Soonhoon going on... Hmm I'm scared to disappoint, so I hope everyone will forgive me no matter how the story turns out. 

Tidbit! This chapter was entirely spontaneous. And I was thinking of adding a part where Soonyoung and Jihoon were playing together in the park but, things don't always turn out the way you want them to. 

Hope everyone enjoyed the story!!