Ice Cream

Blowing Hot Air

Francine couldn't find it in her to understand what happened earlier that week as she lied in her bed. She has always been reserved around Jooheon. If they ended up alone, she would find a way out of it, but that attempt was bypassed. He even saw her half dressed and he laid on her while in that outfit. Oh, and how could she forget the kiss.

 

  After they just sat there, Jooheon changed the mood quickly. He started laughing and pointed out the outfits of the characters in the show Francine was watching. She was frozen when he began to laugh, but it eased her tense shoulders as she noticed too. They both started laughing at the year the show was filmed and why those things were even cool. After a couple more episodes of those tacky outfits and weird acting, Jooheon gave her arm a firm squeeze. “I'm leaving, Frannie”, Jooheon sat up. Francine didn't turn her head as he got up to leave and said, “See you, buddy”. She could still feel the facepalm she gave herself earlier.

 

  Francine needed to get this off her mind. She rose from her bed and looked around for a hoodie. As hot as it was, she just couldn't be as exposed as she was that day. She walked out of her room and towards the door and picked up a pair of sandals. She just needed to take a walk or eat, so she stepped out of her home and down the stairs. Once she reached the ground, she looked at the apartment before her.

 

  For two days, she’s been ignoring him. She just wanted to apologize in some sort of a way. She walked over to the door and knocked. Francine stood there with her head down and her hands in her hoodie pockets. After a couple minutes and a few knocks, she assumed he was sleep and went on her way. Hoping he was sleep and not angry at her.

 

  At least it's not the movie date they had in high school. Francine chuckled at that mess of a day. It wasn't supposed to be a date, but since Hyunwoo backed out last minute, that's what it became. Francine and Jooheon were alone together watching Avatar. Since Francine was so nervous, she nearly talked throughout the first thirty minutes. Her rambling stopped when she watched him doze off. She just gazed at his sleeping face and his head bobbing to stay still. She pulled his head toward her shoulder and let it rest there.

 

  Francine wished it stayed that nice. After he missed half of the movie, he started to move and fell on her chest. He started to move again like he was stretching. Francine began to feel something in deep within. Still moving, he grabbed her and Francine let something out that made a sound. He opened his eyes and peered up at Francine. “Did you just burp”, Jooheon chuckled.

 

  She looked to the side of her and wished he didn't smell it. “Excuse me”, she whispered. “It was such a small one, though”, he snickered trying not to be loud. As he put his head back on her shoulder, he laughed along with the movie. That was the day they started sitting more comfortable together, but she avoided eating with him for a week.

 

 Once Francine was down the street from a convenience store, she noticed her phone wasn't on her but she had her wallet. When she made it to the store, she lingered in the doorway. There he was slurping a Big Gulp. Francine stared at him until someone was behind her. She quickly apologized for being in the way and moved to an aisle. Hiding, she searched for her ice cream.

 

  “You walked right past me”, the man said. Francine spun to the person suddenly slurping behind her. “Hey Jooheon, it must have gotten hot in your place too”, Francine turned right back to her trail. “Are you looking for the ice cream, because you passed it when you walked in”, he took a loud sip as if he was making fun.

 

  Francine turned around and tried to give him a glare, but just walked over to the forgotten ice box. He followed her and hovered over her. Once she opened the freezer, Jooheon grabbed two popsicles and started walking towards the register. Francine grabbed another froze treat and walked over to the register as well. Once she sat her stuff down, Jooheon did the same and waited. She went completely blank and glared at the man before her.

 

  The cashier mindlessly scanned the items and told them the price. Jooheon moved his head gesturing Francine to pay. “I think you rang up two extra items”, she said not in the mood. As the cashier sighed and picked up the items, Jooheon stopped them. “How will you repay me for that kiss”, Jooheon whispered to Francine. Eyes wide, she handed the money to the cashier. Once the items were bagged, Francine dug for her item and left the store.

 

  A few moments later, Jooheon came running with his beverage and the bag. “Wait on me, buddy”, Jooheon called out. Francine was ready to speed walk until he ran in front of her. “Talk to me”, Jooheon yelled. “It's been two days and you've avoided me for too long”, He said. “I paid for your snacks, aren't we even?”, Francine asked walking past him.

 

  This girl here, he thought. “You sound real bold now, but you aren't acting like it”, he said walking to her side. “You don't even want to talk about the fact you did this and you're mad at me?”, Jooheon took a large swig from his drink. “This won't get you over Hyunwoo”, he stated. Francine froze in her steps. “Hyunwoo?”, she was lost. “I understand that you think I could fit as the next man to feel for”, Jooheon said almost trying to boost himself. “But you're like a sister to me and this would be weird”.

 

  Francine was just dumbfounded. She didn't know whether to tell him or hit him for assuming. “I don't like Hyunwoo”, Francine said plainly. Jooheon looked at her as though she was lying. “I really don't” she repeated. Still earning the same look, Francine became frustrated. “He’s my brother”, she said. “So now that matters”, Jooheon his teeth. They just bickered like that until they reached their homes.

 

“Okay, so if you like me, would you say that in front of Hyunwoo”, Jooheon asked.

 

“Yes”, Francine said too quick to her liking.

 

Jooheon stared at her and then he laughed. “You bold faced liar”, Jooheon patted the girl's head. As they approached the stairs, he just kept laughing. “You shouldn't play with people's emotions”, They walked up the flight. Once they reached the door, Francine checked her body for keys. “Fran, be honest”, Jooheon reached in the bag. “Why would you like me”, he pulled the popsicle out.

 

  They could only hear the opening of the wrapper. At the nick of time, Francine pulled out her key. As she unlocked the door, she couldn't face him. “What's not to like”, she fake laughed. “What did you say”, Jooheon couldn't hear past her laughing. “Bye”, She said opening her door. As she closed the door, Jooheon shrugged and knew she didn't have a reason. However, inside her apartment, she slid down the door because she had millions.