Fans

Blowing Hot Air

   The door opened to a friendly neighbor checking on a fellow tenant. “Did your conditioner break down too”, Jooheon asked. As a girl peeked from the side of the door, she scanned the man in front of her apartment. He was wearing a tank top and joggers, so he may be just asking for something quick, the girl thought. “Are you going to let me in”, Jooheon pestered. “Why should I”, the girl retorted looking around him, because he can't be serious.

    “Are people looking for you”, the joker asked looking around to see what she was looking for. The girl really couldn't with him right now. “Yes my conditioner broke, what do you need”, the frustrated girl got straight to the point. “Damn Frances, can't I just have a regular conversation with a friend”, Jooheon leaned on the door frame. “You've known me too long to ignore that my name is Francine”, the girl poked her head out a little further and cocked it. “Just open the door, Fran”, Jooheon placed his hand on the door. “Not now”, Francine held her ground. They looked like siblings trying to lock the other out.

    “It's too hot for you to be acting childish”, Francine gave in and moved out of the way. Jooheon stumbled in and tried to play it off by crouching to take off his shoes. “So I'm guessing you aren't dressed properly”, Jooheon shut the door. “Well this is my apartment”, she adjusted her shorts. Francine was wearing a bralet and a pair of track shorts. “You’re all grown up, aren't you”, Jooheon teased walking over to her couch. “At least, I act like it”, Francine bulked.

   Jooheon lied on her couch laughing at this puny girl and wiggled to get comfortable. “Are you burning up like I am”, Jooheon looked over at the somewhat ashamed friend then back at the show she was watching. Francine laughed. She knew he came because she had three fans. He probably found out because he stay lurking in her watched list on snapchat. Of course, he would come to take advantage of an “old buddy”.

    “Jooheon”, Francine stared at the active texter as he pulled out his phone to start texting. “What's up”, Jooheon answered still typing. “Why are you really here”, Francine wanted him to out himself. As Jooheon turned to look at the host of 20 questions, Francine went toward her kitchen. Jooheon ogled at the shape of Francine's back.

   This was the girl who had everyone's eyes on her in High School. However, her eyes were set on some guy named Hyunwoo, who was Jooheon’s roommate. Jooheon could tell she was still sprung from the every other day “drop-ins” and her monthly dinner “parties” that consisted of just him and Hyunwoo. Jooheon had to take it upon himself to stop her unattractive attempts to Hyunwoo’s view.

   Making this visit the confession of Hyunwoo’s only-want-to-be-friends motives, since Hyunwoo is out of the country visiting family. “I'm just bored without Hyunwoo around”, Jooheon shouted over. Francine returned with water and chips. “So I'm entertainment”, Francine asked as she placed the items on the coffee table and sat on the floor in front of her couch. “Nah, I just like chilling with you”, the uncomfortable man said touching the head of the woman in front of him.

   Tired of the position he was in, Jooheon shifted again. “Maybe, you're just too long for my couch”, Francine teased. Jooheon glared at Francine. “Get up”, Francine commanded suddenly standing. Jooheon sat up and watched as Francine sat where his head was. She gestured for him to lay on her thighs and he did so after grabbing a pillow. He replaced the feeling of her thighs with the pillow.

   “So is Hyunwoo going to be gone for the whole week”, Francine asked as she looked at the clock above her television. “Maybe for a month, he's thinking of moving back home”, Jooheon answered quickly waiting for her response. He didn't fully lie, two weeks is half of a month and Hyunwoo was looking at houses. His exaggerations are only meant to help Francine move on. “Are you sure”, Francine wanted to confirm this since Hyunwoo didn't tell her. “Yeah, he might be leaving sooner than I thought”, Jooheon turned to face the big eyed Francine. “Damn I feel out of the loop, when was this set”, Francine ran her fingers through his hair. “Two weeks ago, maybe”, he turned back to the tv and made a brave face.

    “Do you plan on moving out since your roomie is leaving”, Francine scanned the man under her. “Probably, if I can't find a NEW roommate”, Jooheon pressed. The hair touching stopped and Jooheon looked up at her. “Oh”, Francine said in a quieter tone. “We won't leave you, Francine. We can always meet up and you can talk to us anytime”, Jooheon raised himself to her face. “Look at me Francine”, Jooheon turned Francine's wet eyed face to his. “We can't sit around and wait for a chance to occur, you have to grab the opportunity right then”, Jooheon looked away from his sad friend and came right in for the kill.

   “You’ve waited too long and you need to either grab that opportunity now or just forget it”, He exhaled with relief and turned to his confused, but motivated friend.

   Francine pepped herself up in the kitchen earlier, however, this gave her a real boost. It has been a long time since she first saw him, spoke to him, and fell for him. School has been over for years and she did end up right above his place. It was destiny and she needed to get this off her chest.

    She grabbed Jooheon’s face and connected her lips with his. Jooheon guessed it must be from the excitement that she was going to make her decision. Since the kiss was a little longer and Francine slid her hands to his shoulders, this was not friendly. Francine pulled Jooheon away from her and stared in complete wonder if she just crossed a line. “So”, Jooheon watched Francine turn her head to the tv. "Okay”, Jooheon cleared his throat and lied back on the pillow on her lap. Francine resumed his head, as well. They sat in shock staring at the television, as if ignoring what happened.