Why Without Because

Why Without Because

 

I adore these two people. They have been my neighbors for one or two years or more I don't quite remember. This neighborhood has three houses standing next to each other. I live between those two houses, in an uninhabited old rustic house.

 

Every morning, I see these two people who don't even know each other. I suppose, because I have never seen them talking or even meeting each other. And how is it practically possible for two people living in the same neighborhood only separated by one house to have never seen each other for God's sake? Yes, they never go in the same direction. She always turns right, and he always turns left. I sometimes want them to meet or just steal glances. Oh God, am I turning into a fangirl who ships my neighbors now? Is this my life?

 

Kang Seulgi. She lives next to my house. At the right side. I notice she loves to open her windows a lot while playing the piano. A nature girl who turns her room into a baby's breath garden. She is a bright girl, but rarely smiles. She is beyond gorgeous but you might find her unattractive at the first time encounter because she seems cold. She has a lot of charms once you get to know her better. There is something in her eyes that captures your heart.

 

Zhang Yixing. He lives at the left side of my house. I heard that the name Yixing is equivalent to art in Chinese. What an apt name. His parents gave the right name to him. He looks exactly like art. A walking art. I'm not even exaggerating. His ethereally handsome face, that y body with perfect biceps and abs. Not to mention his sharp jaw, perfect shaped nose, lethal lips and those elfin ears! His eyes are everything. I know how eyes work, but I never knew how they sparkled until I met him. Too gorgeous. And the best part when he smiles: mega dimples flashing on his cheeks. Asdfgjk. I want to squeal every time I see him in the morning from my rooftop windows. He's awfully hot, you know? No one can resist! What am I talking about? Why am I spazzing over him now?

 

At this rate, you might think I'm a stalker.

 

Seulgi and Yixing. They would make a perfect couple. They need to meet!

What do I do to make them meet? Okay, here is my plan A. There is no plan B yet but I hope my plan A runs smoothly.

Step 1. I keep meowing in front of Seulgi's house when she is about to leave for work. I tug his flowery skirt and run away to Yixing's house. This way Seulgi would curious and chase me. I curl up my body on the street near Yixing's house. She would stop by and check me out. I hope she's a cat person or at least isn't allergic to animals. If she is allergic, maybe I just need to wait for a fate to make them meet.

Step 2. By the time she is busy with me, Yixing would step out of his house and see me and Seulgi. If everything goes as planned, I'm good to go.

And yes, my step 1 works! I was born to be a genius cat. I think I'm a human in my past life. I feel like I act like a human sometimes.

"Hey, cutie." Seulgi me so gently. Feels the fluffy me. It feels so pleasant, so peaceful to be in contact with this girl.

Now where is Yixing? He needs to go out soon, otherwise Seulgi will leave because it's 8 a.m. sharp. Meaning, she needs to go to work.

"I have never seen you before." Seulgi tries to carry me. I meow.

Yixing! I see Yixing in front of his door! Come on Yixing, don't too focus on your phone!

Gosh, I should have run in front of his door instead earlier. What am I doing here? So I rush myself to Yixing who is about to open his car's door. Seulgi is kind of surprise with my sudden reaction. I'm out of her touch.

Yixing feels there is something storming into his car. Yes, I have to do this. As expected, Seulgi walks approaching Yixing to look for me. Oh my God!!!! Oh my God!!!! They're going to meet!!!!

Yixing sees me in the car's front seat. "Hey, little guy what are you doing here? Let's not sleep here, okay. "Yixing caresses me attempting to make me move but I have no reaction. No, until you and Seulgi have a moment, Yixing. I insist. Plus he thinks I'm a guy? What kind of disrespect! Didn't he see how elegant I walk? How exquisite my white hair is, and how y my meowing voice! Yixing has no taste on girls.

Seulgi is behind Yixing in a flash. Yixing turns his back and meets Seulgi's eyes. His beautiful eyes meet her beautiful eyes. I feel like earth stops rotating for a while.

"Excuse me, did you see…" Seulgi asks Yixing but I think Yixing is still amazed by a girl in front of his bare eyes. Is Yixing smitten by Seulgi aleady? It's too fast! Not that I'm complaining though. "Oh there you are." Seulgi finds me sitting comfortably on Yixing's car's front seat.

Yixing blinks his eyes. His eyes meet Seulgi's again.

"It's your cat?" Yixing's first words to Seulgi coming out of his mouth.

"Um…" Seulgi is unsure. "No. It's not." Seulgi shakes her head and smiles.

They laugh.

And by that they officially talk!

 

It takes some weeks. My two neighbors now know each other. They know each other's name. They know each other's phone number. They still go in the different direction but they will meet somewhere. From park next to our neighborhood to other parks, Seulgi's house, Yixing's house, cafes, libraries, sometimes cinemas. I don't always follow them but I'm excellent at overhearing people's conversation. Oops.

Seulgi is happy when she is with Yixing and so is Yixing. She smiles a lot, so does Yixing. Yixing brings joy to Seulgi's heart. Seulgi is Yixing's wonderwall. They never share their "I like you" nor "I love you" but I can see from their eyes that there is love between them. I feel like a proud mother now. Everything about them seems too perfect. I witness my two favorite people being in love.

 

A moment of love

A dream

A laugh

A kiss

A cry

Their rights

Their wrongs

 

But their happiness moments last too short. It's just a beautiful morning somewhere in autumn when the last time we saw Seulgi. Seulgi just left like that without words, without a goodbye. She never responds to Yixing's text and calls, let alone returns his text and calls. Her house is empty only left with her white piano and a vase of dry baby's breath on it.

Seconds passed to minutes, minutes to hours, hours to days, days to weeks. No news from Seulgi. Yixing realizes that he knows too little about Seulgi. He doesn't know about her friends, her parents. Seulgi never tells and Yixing never asks.

Yixing is too get used to Seulgi's presence. How her eyes disappear when she smiles, her strands of hair falling on her face, the way she sips hot chocolate, the way she opens magazines from last page to first page, yes Seulgi reads like that. The way her delicate fingers play the piano. The way she carries me. I, too, miss Seulgi's warm hands touching my head.

So many whys in Yixing's head right now, but I don't know how to help answering his whys either.

 

Why?

Because I never say I like you?

Why?

Because I never say I love you?

Why?

Because I never say I want you to live with me and grow old together?

That's why you just left me? Left me with only why without because?

Yixing screams with frustration.

Seulgi is his first love, his first kiss, his first wonderwall, and now his first heartbreak.

 

First snow falls in November this year. I remember that day…

It's a freezing cold night, Seulgi and Yixing sits on the sofa in Yixing's house. Seulgi leans her head on Yixing's shoulder sipping on his hot chocolate. They share a cup of hot chocolate. They share a blanket. I curl up on Yixing's lap.

"Yixing, what is your favorite season?" Seulgi asks and looks up at Yixing, ready to hear his answer with full attention.

"I like winter." Is Yixing's answer. "What's yours?"

"I like pink spring, I like warm summer, I like autumn foliage, I like first snow. I like all the seasons." Seulgi beams.

 "Aren't you too greedy?" Yixing teases.

"No, I'm not." Seulgi pouts. "Yixing, let's name our cat."

Yixing nods in agreement.

"How about Snowball?" Seulgi suggests.

"Why Snowball?"

"Because she is pure white like a snowball. She will remind you of your favorite season. Every day is winter when you are with her."

That day I got my name. A day before Seulgi left. And now when Yixing's favorite season comes, his favorite people is not by his side.

 

Weeks passed to months and months to years. A year after Seulgi left. I still see Yixing teary eyes every time he remembers Seulgi.

I go back to my uninhabited old rustic house because Yixing prefers to escape his sorrow in his apartment now. He tried to bring me with him once but I go back here. I don't like living there. I understand, he wants to erase his pain, he might want to stop waiting for Seulgi. I let him be.

 

And one day…

I see a car stopping in front of Seulgi's house. I observe a man entering that house and I crawl my way there. I might find a clue about Seulgi's whereabouts.

A man converses on phone.

"Yes, I'm Oh Sehun. Right, I'm a lawyer." He switches his phone's position to his right ear. "I'm sorry I don't think I can meet you. Today is my sister's birthday. I'm available tomorrow if it's convenient with your time. Alright I'll meet you there. Thank you." He hangs up.

His sister's birthday? Did he mean Seulgi? Is he Seulgi's brother? Does he know where Seulgi is? Will Seulgi come back?

That Sehun guy taps on Seulgi's dusty piano, walks around the house, then opens Seulgi's room. Peeking the room and closes the door without entering the room.

He gets back to his car. I don't know what he is looking for. So, without him knowing, I sneak in his car's back seat, following him. If you can't have the power of being invisible around people, be a cat instead.

20 minutes of driving and Sehun stops. As he opens the door, I storm out of the car. I don't think he realizes that I was in his car the whole time. I follow his steps. Something I'm familiar with suddenly hits me. A smell of flowers. He brings a bouquet of fresh baby's breath. Seulgi's favorite. I'm 100% sure he is going to meet Seulgi. I look around. Isn't this place a public cemetary? I feel the uneasy feeling in my heart. I keep following Sehun until he ceases in front of a gravestone. He places a bouquet of baby's breath on that gravestone covered by snow.

"Happy birthday, Seulgi. I hope you are happy in heaven." Are words I heard from Sehun.

Now, I got why Seulgi left and never came back. But Yixing probably will remain clueless.