Love, That One Word

Love, That One Word

"Taeyeon." She hugged me from behind. I could smell her perfume, and I can feel her body on mine.

"Miyoung." I automatically smiled as I face her.

"Why do we still use our names in calling each other?" She pouted. "Cant we have an endearment atleast?"

"We dont need any of those, Miyoung."

"And why?" She raised her eyebrows and crossed her arms.

"Hearing you say my name is one of my favorite things in the world. Why do we need those cheesy endearments, right honey?" I saw her blushed and I can feel myself smiling.

"Whatever."

"Arent you gonna hug me or whatsoever?"

"Why will I?"

"I just said a sweet line and youre not saying something."

"Yeah." She walked away.

"Hey hey. Are you mad?"

"No." She said without looking at me and walked towards the living room.

"I just dont want to call you stuff. Im sorry, im just.. Calling you Miyoung is more comfortable." I explained myself.

"Yeah yeah yeah. Okay." She said in a cold tone.

"Im sorry okay."

"It's okay."

"Tiffany, dont be like this." I hold her hand. "Hey, say something."

She still doesnt say a single word. I sigh.

"Boo." I called her. She smiled.

"Call me boo, Taeyeon. Please please please." That made her say something. That boo.

---

As we walk on the busy streets with our hands intertwined, I noticed Miyoung's struggle. She kept on chasing her breath and it looks like she's already tired even though we just walked for 15 minutes.

"Boo, are you okay?" I asked. She looked at me and smiled.

"Of course, I am." Tiffany sent me a forced smile. I just sigh. You're not okay.

I frown. She noticed my sudden action and she abruptly held my face. She observed my facial features until she stopped on my eyes.

"Your eyes keep burning me and I wouldn't mind seeing myself burnt to ashes with your gaze, Taeyeon-ah" She hugged me. "I was in a deep kind of universe to fall from your sweet eyes and precious voice, it was something I wouldn't let go even for a forever. Can you just.. Can you still hold on me?" A tear ran down her cheek.

"Boo, what's the problem?" I asked. She immediately wiped her tears away. I'm confused by her actions, I don't want to ask what's wrong. I don't want to pressure her. Because I know, she will tell it soon.

"Nothing. I just want you to know that whatever happens, I will always be with you. I will always be right next to you. Remember that, Taeyeon Kim." I nodded in response, but a tear escaped from my eyes. Im hurt by the words Tiffany said. I suddenly felt anxious of what will happen.

"Don't overthink, Taeyeon. Im okay. I just want to let you know that I love you, okay? I love you." A happy smile plastered on her face that slowly faded with tears coming from her eyes.

"Don't expect me to not overthink when youre giving me reasons to. What's going on, boo?"

"I don't know. I really don't know." She whispers hugging me tightly.

"I wont force you to tell me. I will wait, just please don't cry. I hate seeing you cry." She hugged me tighter and there's nothing I could do but hug her back.

Hours passed by and were still wandering to the busy streets of Seoul when her phone rang.

"Okay. Okay. Yeah. I will come. Yeah. Just wait, oppa. Okay. Yeah." Tiffany ended the call and looked at me.

"I think you should go. Want me to go with you?"

"No, Taeyeon-ah. Im okay. I just need to be home by now. Will you be okay?" I can see concern in her eyes.

"Ofcourse. I will just pass by the craft shop to get some stuff and I will head home after that. Are you sure you don't want me to come with you?" She nodded and smiled.

Tiffany waved me a goodbye and left me standing in front of a gift shop-- where I buy all the things I gave her as gifts. I entered and look for something pink. What do we expect, I will give this to Tiffany Hwang.

Im looking for something and God knows how long I am here looking for that "something" but sadly, I cant find anything to give Tiffany. My focus is into finding a gift for Miyoung and bravo! I found something. It's pink, it's handmade, and it's something made by heart. A handmade bracelet.

*RINNNNNNNNNGGG*

My phone rang so I immediately answered the call. I didn't even look at the caller's name because my focus is onto the gift I picked for Tiffany.

"Hello?" A man from another line said. I suddenly feel nervous and I don't know why.

"Hello?" I answered tensely.

"This is Taeyeon, right?"

"Y-yes. Who's this?"

"Taeyeon" A sudden change in his voice can be defined. "This is Leo." My mouth literally opened after I heard his name. Leo.. Leo... Leo hyung.. Tiffany's older brother.

"Ah.. hyung! Why did you call?" I hid the nervousness in my voice.

"Can you come? Taeyeon, im sorry. Tiffany's in the hospital."

I felt my heart broke after hearing those words. Tiffany's in the hospital.

I ended the call without saying anything and rushed to Tiffany's family hospital. I entered her suite and saw Leo oppa crying on the side. Tiffany's being accompanied by a doctor and three nurses. I don't know what to do, I don't know what's going on.

"What happened?" I walked beside Leo oppa.

"Taeyeon, hold on please." He said trying to calm me.

"HYUNG I DON'T KNOW WHAT'S GOING ON!" I raised my voice and suddenly I felt tears flowing down my cheek.

"Taeyeon, Tiffany... She might leave us. Please, hold on."

It made me stop. It made my jaw drop. It made my world break.

"W-what do you mean?"

"Brain tumor." He said looking so anxious. I can say a word after I hear that.

Leo hyung left the room to buy us dinner.

Tiffany looks so weak lately. There were no other words nor signs. But when I saw her lying on a hospital bed weak and fatal,I knew why. She's sick.

I saw Tiffany moved her hands and slowly opened her eyes. I rushed to her side and held her hands.

"Are you okay?" I asked knowing that she's not okay. She just gave me a pale smile and nodded.

"Are you sure? I can call the doct—"

"Taeyeon." She held my hands and gazed at my eyes.

"Yes?"

"You deserve better, Taeyeon-ah" A tear fell from her eye.

"W-what do you mean? What are you talking about?"

"You dont need to be attached onto someone who'll be dying soon anyway."

"What are you saying. Youre not going to die, Hwang Miyoung. Stop saying things like that. It's hurting me."

"It's true. You should leave me now."

"Why will I? I will stay here with you. No matter what the hell will happen."

"But I cant hold on any longer." She held my hand and pulled me for a hug. "I think I cant last a day anymore. Please, just let me go."

"I cant." Those are the only words I can say. My tears betrayed me and it wont stop. It kept on sliding down my cheeks. I hugged her tighter. Why will I let you go? I will not let you go.. ever.

"You should now sleep and rest. Don't leave me okay? Please hold on." She nodded in response. I kissed her forehead and smiled as she gave me the most beautiful smile in the world.

Tiffany slept for an hour and suddenly woke up. I never left her side, I stayed inside the hospital room while holding her hand.

"Taeyeon," She calls.

"Are you okay? How are you feeling?"

"Taeyeon, please."

"Please what?"

"Please let me go."

I closed my eyelids as tears fell continously. I breathe.

"In this world, the least thing I want to see is you suffering. I don't want seeing you hurt. I don't wanna see you feel pain."My voice began to crack. "If you cant hold on anymore, I will let you go."

"I made my choice... Eunthanasia."

I closed my eyes and breathe. I don't want to do this, but I don't want to see tiffany hurt too.

I hugged her and cried. She hugs me back until I kissed her.

"I love you, I love you, I love you." Words coming from my mouth. I cant say other words other than this.

"Im sorry." She said.

"You know how I hate that word. You don't have to be sorry." She nodded.

"I'll be away for a while, okay? It will hurt a little, Taeyeon-ah. Just a little- I promise."

"You're going to come back, right?" I asked knowing that when someone die, there's no coming back. Tiffany mumbled, "Maybe". Enough to make me say, "Ddon't say maybe if you want to say no." She lowered her head.

"This is the only choice. Im going to die soon anyway. I just made it faster. I guess you are the one who'll see me die. Tell my brother how much I love him. Tell my friends that I am so lucky to have them. Tell everyone that a Tiffany Hwang loves someone like Kim Taeyeon and I promise, it will never change. Taeyeon-ah, I already told you.. find someone that is worth your love. I will be truly happy with that." I am flabbergasted hearing those words. She kept on insisting me to find someone. Someone better. But she's already the best.

Tiffany is willing to lose everything for me but at the end, I ended up feeling empty, alone and broken.

She raised her pinky finger and gave me a smile.. a pale one. She tangled her pinky finger on mine and said, "Together" Maybe sometimes, when people say forever, they actually mean it. "Forever," I added. She left me a sweet smile and she suddenly closed her eyes. Not long after, the machine beeped, signaling that Tiffany's heartbeat stopped.

In my point of view, forever doesnt exist but I made an exception when Tiffany promised me one. She never even said 'Goodbye' to me. My princess is gone, the one I promised forever with is gone.. My boo is gone.

"You are a part of me, but now you're gone, Tiffany. And now i'm dead inside." I sigh.

---

Out of curiosity, I entered her room. I remember her saying, "This room is off limits, Taeyeon Kim. Enter and i'll kill you." I remember her face while shouting at me for almost getting inside her room. I wonder if she still has secrets she cant tell me. Aside from her being sick.

Never in my entire existence did I see nor entered her room. I have no idea what the interior design is, I don't know all the stuff she's hiding - if she has one.

I stepped inside and observed the surroundings. The in terior is pink, her bed is pink, even her closet is pink. Well, what do we expect, we are talking about Tiffany Hwang.

As I roamed around her room, I saw stacks of envelopes on her desk. I read the labels and at that moment, my tears betrayed me. I dont know what to do, I dont know what to say.

"Did Tiffany write all of this ..when she was about to die?" I asked myself while holding my mouth because of shock.

I get the envelopes and read the labels. A certain letter caught my attention because it has a "TAEYEON" on it and its written in bold letters. I immediately opened it and read the letter inside.

taeyeon,

if youre reading this, im already gone. im sorry if i didnt utter a word about my health to you earlier, i just dont want to make you suffer too. i dont want to see you hurt, that's why i hid this. i need to, i have to. im so sorry. having you is the best thing that ever happened to me. Well at least youre mine when i left, right? but dont just embrace that taeyeon-ah, find someone who deserves you more. find someone who can testify that forever exist. im really sorry i am not that person. im sorry taeyeon-ah. some stories just dont have happy endings- our story is an example.. but dont forget about me, dont escape from the past and dont ever throw your memories with me because taeyeon-ah, i will always be beside you. i will always be with you. i promised right? i promised. i will fulfill my promise. i wont break it. i love you taeyeon-ah. i love you and im sorry for leaving you. as long as you remember me, i would still be alive.. in your heart, taeyeon kim.

your boo,

tiffany

And again, my tears betrayed me and my eyes began to wet as I closed my eyelids. She really wrote this beforehand. She wrote this knowing she'll die soon. She wrote this for me.

I read all the envelopes' labels and I wasn't expecting for all of these.

On your Graduation Day ]

Note: Read this on your Grad! Congratulations!

I try to understand the use of labels for a second and realized it is for me. I realized she left this for me. She left this for me to open. And suddenly, my eyes began to get wet.

Happy 21st birthday! ]

Note: Read this on your birthday.

And its only two months left before my 21st birthday.

July 27]

Note: Read this on our 3rd anniversary.

There are many piles of envelopes left until I flip over to a certain envelop and made me stare to it for god knows how long.

To her.. ]

Note: I told you, Taeyeon. You deserve someone better.

I felt a hand on top of my shoulders, I thought that it's Tiffany so I looked around, realizing that im just hallucinating.

Looking up the ceiling, I thought about what happened months ago. What if Tiffany didn't die? Are they happy now? But then I shooked my head and realized, she's gone. And she will never come back.

-----

It's been 3 years now. I kept Tiffany in my heart- she will forever have a place in it. And in that 3 years, I always wake up smiling and rolling to the other side, wanting to hug a certain one finding out that she isnt there.

But on the bright side, I followed everything she wanted..

"Baby." She called. I turned my head to see her.

"Jessica." I smiled.

Tiffany told me to find someone who's worth my love.. and I found Jessica. She's basically the opposite of Tiffany. Well, im not comparing. Im explaining that I didn't liked her because of similarities. Rather, I loved her with all her flaws and differences to Tiffany. Fany gave me so much- so much love, efforts and appreciation and Jessica gave me everything I want, everything I need.

I hugged her and walked to my room to get something.

"I'll be right back. Wait here."

I came back smiling and kissed her on the forehead. Without doubt, I handed her something.

"What's this?" She asked with a face full of hesitation.

THIRD PERSON'S POV

Jessica again observed the thing she was holding. A white envelope with a label

To her.. ]

Note: I told you, Taeyeon. You deserve someone better

She slowly tear it and unfolded the letter.

to the girl taeyeon loves,

hello! i wish i had the chance to meet you. if youre reading this now, then there's no doubt, taeyeon really loves you or he wouldnt have given this to you. I am hoping that you feel the same way too because the least thing i want for taeyeon is to get hurt. I wrote this letter for you to know that im so happy he's found you. im so happy because i know taeyeon is happy. nothing in the world can make me happy than to see him smile. Please give taeyeon the things I failed to give him. Please stay beside him, always guide him and never ever leave him. Taeyeon is so fragile that's why I really want to protect him. I cant do it right now but I will protect him from above. Taeyeon Kim- he always tend to leave his phone inside the refrigerator so if he lost it, you know where to look. He loves spiderman so much so he will go watch and buy all spiderman stuff he could see. Taeyeon wants to do island hopping when he's bored. He wants to eat sweet candies so there should be packs of chocolates and candies inside the fridge every week. Remind him to feed our dog, Prince because he always forgot. Im sorry if im being demanding. Please take good care of him. Please. Now Taeyeon finally found what he was looking for, and obviously, it's not me.

Sincerely,

tiffany

Teary-eyed, Jessica look at Taeyeon who is standing 10 meters away from her holding her phone and focusing on playing games. After a fraction of seconds, Taeyeon glanced at Jessica and gave her a beam. Jessica pouted and run towards him to hug her.

TAEYEON'S POV

Loving? it wasnt fun when Tiffany left. I thought it was. But it was gray. It was beautiful yet terrible. Until I met Jessica.She's no ordinary girl- she sleeps a lot, she sings crazily knowing she has a beautiful singing voice, she snores loudly. But with those flaws and imperfections, she is Jessica who was there for me when I need someone. She will stay awake for me when im having insomnia, she will sing to me when she wanted to, she will sleep with me when im longing for someone. She loved me exactly the way I wanted to be loved.

Love, that one word. It might be hurting sometimes and it might cause you pain, but at the end of the day, love is always beautiful.

Tiffany left me nothing but beautiful memories and I am really thankful for that. All I did was to move on, she's in a better place anyway.