Epilogue (Final)

Flowers in the City
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter
FLOWERS IN THE CITY EPILOGUE
(FINAL)

 

(Disaster Crisis Center, Kumamoto)

————————————

Mirai was preparing to go out of her tent. It should have been her day-off, but one of her coleague had fallen ill that Mirai was asked to take her place in the orthopedhic tent. Ryu Ryusei, her ex boyfriend, was an orthopedic specialist, so she probably would meet him there.

She inhaled a breath as though readying herself to anything possible since lately Ryu Ryusei had been trying to get close to her again but she did not respond.

When she was walking towards the orthopedic tent, she met her friends who was on their way to the White Eagle Workshop. Tanaka Ryosuke had invited them to come and as she threw her sight to the workshop site, she could see many of her colleagues that off duty that day did choose to come.

She shivered slightly as she remembered how her colleagues surrounded her after the dinner banquete with the CEO of Tanaka Corporation last night. She wondered, just how could a person had such strong charm like Tanaka Ryosuke. She had met handsome rich men all these years, yet their presence did not give as strong vibe as him. Was it his face, his privilege, his way of conduct, or the combination of all? She did not know.

"Mirai?" A man's familiar voice pulled her back to reality.

She looked up, then bowed formally, "Good morning, Ryu-sensei."

The man smiled, "It's a nice surprise to see you here."

She could only nod, "I'll prepare for today, please excuse me."

Without waiting for his reply, she then sauntered down towards her colleagues who was preparing the administration desks in front of the tent. 

She was grateful that the patients that came to the tent were enough to make Ryu Ryusei busy enough that he did not have time to see her. However, her luck only lasted until her shift ended right at the same time with his.

"Mirai, wait," Ryu Ryusei called out to her.

She was walking back to her dorm alone that evening.

"Can we talk for a bit?" He asked.

"What is it?" She asked back.

"It's better if we talk somewhere else."

"I'm sorry. Let's just talk here. There is something I want to tell you, too." She refused.

"Oh? Well," he seemed rather hesitant. "You speak first then."

She subtly inhaled a breath, "Please stop being informal to me. Stop calling my first name. We are not that close now. I don't want to cause any misunderstanding."

He looked at her rather disbelieving, "But we were really close back then, so I never think that it's improper. Sorry."

"That is in the past, and it's over. I think we should keep a good distance from now on, please?"

Instead of answering, Ryu Ryusei threw her a question, "Can't we go back to what we were? I still... I still love you, Mirai."

She was not that surprise since he had been hinting about it before, "It didn't work before, and it won't work even for now... because my family will always be my top priority."

"I will try to understand about your circumstance. I mean, I was too selfish back then. Won't you give us a second chance?" Ryu Ryusei plead to her.

She was speechless. What he said was touching, and she could see his sincerity, but...

"Mirai!" A sudden call surprised both of them.

Once she turned to the voice direction, she froze. There, walking leisurely towards her with a charming smile intact, was Tanaka Ryosuke. 

"I am looking for you," Tanaka Ryosuke said when he arrived before her and Ryusei.

"Oh, are you the genious doctor from orthopedic department? Ryu Ryusei, is it?" He asked more, the smile never faded.

Ryusei bowed to the shorter man, "Yes, I am Ryu Ryusei. Nice to meet you, Tanaka-san."

Ryosuke bowed slightly, "Same here."

After both men exchanging pleasantry, Ryosuke asked, "Oh, do you mind if I bring Mirai with me, Ryu-sensei? It's been a long time we haven't met. There are a lot of things to catch up."

"Oh, sure. Then I'll leave first. Excuse me," Ryusei bowed then walking away.

Mirai exhaled a relief breath, but she did not know that Ryosuke noticed it.

"He is your ex, isn't he?" He asked without any reservation.

Mirai only nodded. She did not believe her own voice that time.

"Let's walk. You are returning to your dorm, right?" Ryosuke started walking even without waiting for her, though he was sure she would follow him.

An she indeed walked after him.

For a time, there was no word exchanged between them. Mirai observed Ryosuke subtly. She could only see his back view. He was wearing brown cargo pants, coupled with grey hoodie. His hair was jet black, short and cleanly styled. It's way different from his style five years ago.

"Satisfied?"

His voice sounded amused as he stopped and turned to look at her.

She was flabbergasted. Her cheeks warmed. "I'm sorry," she blurted out the first word came into her mind.

His smile widened slightly, "Do not be sorry. Instead, I am the one who must say sorry to you."

"Eh?" Mirai could not understand his meaning.

"I'm sorry for trespassing boundary twice by calling your first name while we are not that close. First, in the dinner last night, and then just now."

His smile had ceased, substituted with shady gaze.

"It's indeed surprising, since it's not like something you would do," she replied honestly. She believed that he was someone who put great concern about modesty.

"Because it should be done," he said. "When I made you the leader of this project, I told them that you are a close friend. It would be weird if close friends call each other with honorific."

"Oh, I see then."

"I'm also sorry to ignore you and mostly talked with your hospital director in the dinner last night," he continued.

"It should be done, too, I guess?" She tentatively asked.

He let out a short chuckle. "No, it should be the other way around, but... I was too nervous to talk to you."

At that, he turned and resumed walking. She immediately followed after him.

"It's unbelievable, Tanaka-kun. You? Nervous?" She could not help but chuckled.

"Well, is it too hard to believe that whoever it is would be nervous in front of someone they admire?"

She halted her steps. She could feel her face grew warmer. She forgot that he was like that, unpredictable. Just as she started getting relaxed around him, he threw another blowing sentence.

"Moreover," he continued, walking in front of her. "We haven't met for a long time. Though I already saw your pictures, still it's different to see you directly."

Her heart picked up like crazy. She also forgot that he was so direct with his feeling. 

Perhaps sensing that she did not follow, he halted and turned around, seeing her freezing on the spot.

There was an amused glints in his eyes when asking, "Am I too blunt?"

She inhaled a breath to get rid of her surprise. "Should it even be asked?"

He smiled, and she started hating him for that, because every time she saw his smile, there were butterflies roaming inside her gut.

"I don't mean to make you uncomfortable," he spoke while signaling to resume walking.

She stepped closer to him who was still gazing at her. When she reached his place, they started walking side by side.

"This project would end in three days, right?" He changed the topic.

"Yes," she answered, trying hard not to look at him. "Why?"

"I will pay a visit to your family after that."

For the nth time, she almost got heart attack. Halted her steps, she protested. "Could you not throwing bomb one after the others, Tanaka-kun?"

He scratched his nape, looked guilty. "Sorry. I'm used to speak in attacking mode that I forget to speak civilly."

She looked at him perplexedly. She thought how tiring his life to always be in attacking mode.

"You don't mind about it, do you?" His voice pulled her back into reality.

She nodded, "You mean about visiting my family?"

"Yes."

She thought for awhike, "It's alright, but is it allowed?"

"What do you mean?" 

She held a contemplative look while answering, "You're no longer an ordinary man. Will it be alright if you mingle with us?"

He inhaled a breath and exhaled it rather hard, "Substantially, it's not a problem, but realistically... it may cause a problem."

She had not had a chance to respond.

"That's why I ordered Kamiya to stay behind," he continued. "He has to clear my trace here and a few days onward."

She caught understanding when hearing that. That might be the reason why taking pictures and using social media were prohibited in this camp. Hospital director also gave them warning to not share anything about Tanaka Ryosuke in the dinner last night.

"So, you don't need to worry. If you allow me visit your family, it won't bring any trouble for you and them, I promise."

Before giving him an answer, she halted, "It's my dorm."

"Oh." He exclaimed but did not say anything after that.

The dormitory was quiet. Perhaps her friends had not returned yet. Orthopedhic tent was the closest afterall.

"I'll keep your words, then," she said eventually, giving him an answer.

A smile formed on his flawless face, "Thank you. I'll see you in three days then. For now, I won't disturb your job. Good night."

Right when he started walking away, her friends coming back. He bowed slightly to them when they passed, and her friends bowed back. He then immediately left, but her friends kept staring at his leaving form. Only when he had disappeared from the view that her friends turned to her with knowing looks. Mirai had a feeling of what would be coming, so she spun around and dashed inside the dormitory, rushed after by her friends calling her name.

The following two days, she could inhale a breath. Tanaka Ryosuke did not show up, and her friends had stopped bugging her. She busied herself to finish her tasks in the camp.

The third day, they were ready to leave the camp for good. They had said goodbye to all stakeholders and refugees. Not lying to theirselves, the farewell felt rather heavy and sad, but they knew life must go on.  

She was helping the team to bring in some goods into the bus. Yet, when she was searching for a seat, the director spoke.

"Oh, don't bother to get a seat. Shida-san will not ride the bus," the director casually spoke, surprising them.

"What do you mean, Director?" One of her friends asked.

The director threw a look outside before beaming. "There!"

They looked out to see a black SUV droved closer to their bus, then stopped in front of them.

"Come, come, Shida-san! Bring your bag." The director beckoned him to step out of the bus.

She widened her eyes when she saw Kamiya Genzo came out from the front passenger seat of the car. The old man rushed to open the back passenger seat. Stepped out was Tanaka Ryosuke, clad in perfect black suit. She could hear cheering from her friends in the bus and her face grew warmer.

**********

Night was late. An ambulance syrine was heard in the faraway. A breeze flowed pass, bringing some dirt in the process. The sky was dark, a crescent moon could be seen, and Tanaka Ryosuke was sitting to admire them.

He inhaled a mild breath as a smile grew on his face. He was just happy to be there. Shida Family restaurant did not change much after all these years. 

He smiled remembering the occurence happened before he came to that place.

He had deliberately picked Mirai up in front of her colleagues when they prepared to leave Kumamoto camp. That time, he intentionally dressep up in his best style. It was not to impress Mirai, but to show them that Mirai had him to back her up. He did not like hearing what Kamiya reported before, that she was bullied by her seniors in the hospital. Also, he just wanted to warn Mirai's exboyfriend to stay away from her, since clearly she did not like it.

Call him petty, he did not mind.

In the mids of reminiscing, he could hear tentative steps from the stair. He might know whose steps that was.

The steps coming closer and it stopped just behind him. He was not surprised when a voice spoke after that.

"Tanaka-kun," there was hesitation in Mirai's voice.

He turned with a serene smile, "What is it, Shida-san?"

She walked up then sat down beside him on the back porch. 

She took out a black card. She said, "I want to return it."

It was the card he gave her before he left five years ago.

"Why? You don't use it?" He asked, still not taking the card.

"It's too much. I don't deserve it."

He smiled, "Why not use it to fund your charity?" He continued as he saw her confused look," I know that you go to give a free treatment for people out there. This can help you to broaden your move. Also, since the beginning I purposely made this card for you. I never take back what I already gave to others."

"But," she looked hesitant.

He smiled again,"If it helps, this amount of money doesn't mean anything to me. So, just keep it. Think that it is my support to your charity act. "

She exhaled a mild breath. "Well then, thank you. "

For a moment there was only silence between them. He actually enjoyed it, but he also wanted to hear her voice. So he asked, "This place doesn't change much, does it?"

"You are right. It doesn't change much. But you surely change much, don't you?"

A small smile appeared on his face as he replied, "Am I?"

"Are you... alright? "

He turned to look at her, "Do I look not alright?"

She shook her head to convey it was not what she meant, "I mean, I heard about your uncle and your grandfather."

He smiled. It was something he really wanted to share with someone and that someone was Mirai. So, when she asked about it he did not hesitate to talk.

"The first thing I did when I return home back then was preparing myself to inherit the company. When I claimed the position, I told Grandpa that I wanted to give justice to my parents. I confronted my uncle and ask him why, why he did that to his sister? You know what he did? He cried. He felt remorse for what happened. He said he did not plan to murder my parents. He just wanted to make my parents couldn't attend the shareholding meeting. He had wanted to turn himself in to the police but Grandpa did not allow him. Grandpa said that Uncle had to take responsibility by supporting the company so that when the time came for me to inherit it, I wouldn't get any difficulty."

She look at him attentively and he wanted to hold her hand, but he refrained from doing so. He put a hand on his nape, massaged it slowly, then continued, " I didn't know what to do at the time."

"But in the end your uncle turned himself in to the police, right?"

"Yes."

"How do you feel now?"

He exhaled a breath,"Relieved, I guess. I was surprised that I didn't hate my uncle as much as I thought. After all, he is still the only family I have now."

"I am really sorry for your loss."

He met eyes with her. He didn't expect to see her watery eyes and all of a sudden a strong feeling resurged inside. It was like his strength had disappeared. He felt so tired that he wanted to lean onto someone. He could not refrain himself from bringing  himself onto her, hugging her tightly.

"Tanaka-kun!"

"Please... let me," he whispered, begging her.

She was rigid, mostly surprised and nervous, but he could careless for he felt his chest was about to explode. The feelings that he had bottled up all this time bursted out and he needed her to comfort it.

He pulled away a few minutes later, not able to face her. He looked up to the dark sky while trying to manage his emotion. It was still a chaos inside, and he did not want her to see it.

"Tanaka-kun?"

Just hearing her softly calling his name like that made his heart clenched. Tears started flowing out unbidden.

"Sorry," he said, mustering a smile while wiping the tears on his face. He kept looking up, hoping the tears to stop.

"I don't know why I'm like this," he laughed bitterly.
*********

Mirai wanted to cry as she witnessed how Tanaka Ryosuke broke down in front of her. He had always been composed and calm, and even he tried hard to smile despite tears kept rolling down his face.

She had read the news about his uncle turned himself to the police for causing the death of Ryosuke's parents. Ryosuke's grandfather passed away because of illness a year after that. It was rumored that his aunt hated him because she blamed Ryosuke for making his uncle jailed.

He must be so lonely.

She felt a strong urge to hug him, but she was too coward. The only thing she did was retrieving a tissue box from the kitchen and offered it to him.

He took the tissue without looking at her. He was possibly uncomfortable to have her seeing his current state. Undeniable, her feeling for him was still there, deep inside. It was painful to see him so fragile and the only she could do was sitting beside him.

He inhaled and exhaled, calming himself.

"I'm sorry you have to see me in this state. It's embarrassing," he said when finally managed to calm down. His voice was hoarse and slightly nasal.

"It's not," she replied. "It's not embarrassing at all, instead...," she hanged her words.

He stared at her questioningly.

"Though it might sound inappropriate, I want to tell you that... I am here if you need ears to listen," she honestly wanted to help him.

He chuckled while rubbing the tissue to clean his nose.

"I'm serious. I really mean it," she pouted, thinking that he ddid not take her words seriously.

He turned to look straightly at her eyes, his chuckle receded to a gentle smile.

"I know," he said. "I never doubt you."

"Then what's the laugh for?"

The way he looked at her a that time almost suffocated her. She could see her own reflection in his eyes, looking back at her.

"I was amazed that a simple line from you could set my heart at ease," he told her. "I've never felt this comfortable, not even during the sessions with my pshycologist. Now, I believe her."

"Her?"

"My pshychologist."

She was surprised to know that he had been seeing phsycologist.

"Oh, what did she say?"

His gaze at her turned even gentler, "That you are my remedy."

"Eh?" Her cheeks became so hot. "Why me?"

"Because...," he paused for a second. "I do love you."

She was agaped. She never expected it coming that soon. She opened then closed repeatedly, not knowing what to say.

"She told me that love can heal anything. Loving and being loved, it can be a miracle cure for someone with deep emotional wound like me," he looked at the distant sky.

"But... you rejected me back then, how is it now?" He asked further.

She turned to look away. She could not think clearly because all was too sudden. She might have been wondering how if she met Ryosuke someday, but she had never pictured their meeting to be like that.

Indeed, her feeling had not changed, but she felt that he was far too out

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter