Part 5

Flowers in the City
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter
Flowers in the City Part 5

 

Mirai quietly stepped down the stairs. She had reached half her way when she noticed that there was no light from the backyard which crept inside. Usually, since Yamada Ryosuke left the back door open while he was sitting in the back porch, there were some amount of light that would shine to the kitchen which was the nearest. The past month, though it was not every night that she would go down to take midnight drink, when she did she would always find him there. So, this time was the first she didn’t see him outside.

When she was entering the kitchen, though, her steps halted. Over there, under the dimlight, Yamada Ryosuke was sitting on the stool near the dining table. She could smell coffee aroma in the room, so she assumed that the cup he was holding was the black coffee he used to have. She still couldn’t fathom why he chose the strong caffeine to help him sleep, but since he argued logically and scientifically about his reaction to caffeine, she couldn’t say anything more. At least she had warned him.

She tilted her head slightly. He seemed had not noticed her presence, so she took the chance to observe him. She should admit that he has good looking and manly features despite being not that tall. Sitting still while holding a cup, propping his elbows on the table, and bathing with the night lamp’s light... she felt like looking at an artistic photograph.

She snapped from her daze realizing that her mind had wandered too far, she pinched her own cheek to punish herself. Inhaling a breath, she went to turn on the main lamp. As expected, he perked up in surprise.

“What were you doing in the dark?” her eyes slightly narrowed, maintaining her indifference while walking to the refrigerator to take water.

Straightening his back, he smiled, “Just thinking about something.”

She didn’t probe further, and she thought it was impolite to do so. Pouring some water into her glass, she didn’t expect to hear him asking.

“Do you mind to sit with me for a while?” he said. “There is something I want to talk.”

“What is it?” casually she took a seat across him, separated by the dining table.

He waited until she sat comfortably. Actually, there was something about him that made her nervous that night. That calmness he showed was no longer tinted with carefreeness, instead it was devoid a level of maturity, and she had not been used to that side of his.

“I met a friend this morning,” he started.

She remembered he returned to the house late that day. He rely after dinner time. Her father had explained that Yamada Ryosuke had something to do.

“Then?” she fished.

“I guess I should go home soon,” he chuckled slightly. “I mean, I have to go home soon.”

“Your grandfather must have been worried about you,” she hinted agreement.

“Aa,” he replied shortly.

For a few seconds, there was only silence.

She was lost for a moment until, without her realizing, she blurted out, “So, you have made a decision?”

“About?”

Receiving his questioning gaze, she struggled to speak normally, “I mean, about inheriting your family business.”

He shook his head, “Not yet.”

“Then what will you do once you return there?”

He lifted his cup and gulped a sip of the coffee, “What do you suggest?”

“Eh? Why do you ask me?”

He shrugged, “There’s nothing wrong to listen to other’s opinion.”

“It’s your life, so you should decide it yourself.”

He looked away, “Yeah, you’re right.”

Her brows knotted. Why she heard dejected tone in his voice just now? Was she too rude denying him a request of advice? Was he really expecting an answer from her?

“The business I’m going to inherit... many people depend on it. If there aren’t so many people would be affected, I wouldn’t be hesitated to refuse the position. Really, it would be better if I was born in a normal family like yours.”

She had felt that he was unusual that night, but this time the sadness was evident in his bitter smile... and she wasn’t sure why... why looking at him that sad made her heart ache?

He heaved a sigh, after that he stood up. The stool he had been sat at made a screech as he moved.

“Sorry. I’m blabbering nonsense just now. I think I need to sleep soon,” this time he smiled his usual smile. The pain was already masked.

She stared at his back when he was washing his cup in the sink. There were many thoughts swirling inside her brain. She wanted to answer his previous question properly.

“The fact that you’re born in your family...,” she eventually spoke up, and she saw his move was halted for a second before he continued washing.

“That fact could not be changed,” she carefully voiced out her opinion. “So, you shouldn’t dwell too much about that.”

He finished washing the cup and turned around. Slowly, he walked over, asking, “Then what should I focus on?”

“It’s just my opinion. Shouldn’t you focus on the things you can change?”

He retook his previous seat across her, propping his jaw on his right palm while staring at her, “I am listening.”

“You said... you doesn’t agree on how the business work destroying natures, but complaining won’t solve the problem. I think, if you inherit the business, then you might be able to change it. If you become the leader, won’t you have the authority to make decision? To change the way the business works?”

“It’s not that easy even though I have the highest position, you know.”

“Is there any big change that is easy, Yamada-kun? I thought you’re not afraid of challenge, are you?”

His leisure posture stiffened for a moment, his gaze hardened slightly, but immediately he composed himself. He straightened his back, curving a smile, “Thank you for your advice. I’ll take it into consideration.”

She was relieved that he didn’t take any offense for her daring words.

“Anyway, since you’re going to leave soon, then you don’t need to bother about that loan-shark,” she determinedly said. “I can handle it.”

To her surprise, he chuckled briefly, “Don’t worry about that. I asked for three days right? So, the day after tomorrow is the deadline. Everything will be solved by that time.”

“Wh-what are you going to do?”

“Nah, that’s my secret. Just don’t be too worried, and focus on your study so your parents would be at ease. That’s the reason they didn’t tell you, isn’t it?”

She avoided his eyes, softly complaining, “Don’t meddle with my family too much.”

She caught a look of hurt on his face despite only in a split of second before it disappeared.

“I don’t mean to meddle,” he said, a calm smile was intact. “You know, I don’t really have a family. Seeing you being so protective over your family, I couldn’t help but wondering, how it feels to be you... to be able to fight for someone else. I... just want to know how it feels. So, please just let me help this time. You can consider it as my way of gratitude to you and your family.”

She was feeling sad just by listening to him, she didn’t even know why she could feel this sad... and confused.

“...don’t have a family... fight for someone else...?” she unconsciously muttered t herself before looking up and braved herself to meet his gaze. “I don’t understand why you said that. How about your grandfather? How about you protecting nature? Isn’t it also fighting for someone else?”

“My grandfather has always been away. Once in a month meeting him was already an achievement,” he spoke with that smile of his never ceased. “And... perhaps you’re just too high in regarding me, Shida-san. I have been protecting nature, but that doesn’t mean I do it for other people’s sake.”

“Huh? Then... for what reason?”

He shook his head, “I don’t think you should concern about that. Just let me help your family this one time.”

He stood up right after that, then with his usual composed smile, speaking, “It’s already late. You should go back to sleep. Good night,” he bowed his head slightly and began walking away.

Since she couldn’t do anything, and didn’t think it was proper to probe further about his private life, she too eventually decided to go back upstair.

Just as she reached the first step of the stairs, though, she halted because of his call.

“Shida-san,” he softly called out.

She turned around and hardly made out his figure under the dimlight of hallway.

“Yes?”

“After the matter with the loan-shark over, I will leave.”

“Wh-what?” she couldn’t quite believe what she just heard.

“The day after tomorrow is going to be my last day in your house. So, please bear with me a little longer.”

She was still stunned though he had completely disappeared to the front room. Why she didn’t feel happy when her wish for him to leave was finally granted?

So soon?

**********

 

On the evening the next day, a luxurious white car run in the road, bringing four

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter