The Fortress

The Fortress of the Forsaken
Please log in to read the full chapter

BEEP. BEEP. BEEP. PLEASE AWAKE IMMEDIATELY. BEEP. BEEP. BEEP.
Sunny awoke with a start, the loud voice in her head still ringing in her ears. She looked around, and found an unfamiliar environment. Large steel walls confined her, a door with metal bars placed one one side. She tried to see what was beyond those bars, but they were too high. She looked down and saw that her clothes had been swapped out for a simple gray dress. She sat on the finger-thick bed, and sobbed.
Where am I? Where's mom? Am I in jail? She thought hopelessly. She heard voices outside her door.

"I think she's awake, yes. I can hear her telepathic messages. She'll learn to control those at some point," said a gruff, low voice. The door opened and Sunny blocked her eyes from the artificial light. A large hand pulled her up by her shoulders and attached a futuristic wristband to her arm. She stayed still in fright,and the big man had to yell at her before she left.

"Filthy Hybrid. WALK!" he shouted, and she scurried out of the room. Outside, there was a long hallway with many more doors identical to hers on it. They visited a few more rooms, and from them emerged three girls, and two boys. She didn’t recognize any of them. Both of the boys left the room immediately, but Sunny could tell they were scared. Both of them looked quite similar, the typical rough and tough boy you can find in any town. The girls all were different. One of them, a girl with bleached blonde hair and pink nails, tried to flirt with the man, resulting in her exiting her room looking annoyed. The next girl was timid and shy, and left the room in a fright as soon as the man opened the door. The last girl practically ran out of the room with an excited expression on her face. She told Sunny that her name was Tiffany, and that she had been waiting for an adventure like this her whole life, and that this place was so cool, like the city of Ember, and she wonders how much more of it there is, and if they’re secret spies or something. Sunny decided that she would try to become friends with this girl, because she reminded her of her friend Hara, who, as she realized with a gulp of sadness, she may never see again. They’re both hyper and excitable, a charm that directly contrasts with Sunny’s reserved nature.

They turned a corner, the first corner she'd seen in this long hallway, and she gasped. In front of her was the most magnificently terrifying sight she'd ever seen in her life. Large buildings of metal rose up in a room the size of a city. In fact, she would've thought it just a city, but the dark space above her told her otherwise. There were no stars, no moon, no airplanes. Just darkness. In the center of the buildings was a tall tower, with a likeness to that of a fairy tale. It rose up higher than the rest, with a pointed spire at the top. Dotted around the city were smaller buildings, probably houses. She turned to look at the o

Please log in to read the full chapter