Four

The Story of The Universe
four
 
 

Bo Na was right. Something definitely was happening. For the next few days of school, Chanyoung and her had avoided each other, pretending that everything was fine. Life moved on, and they would as well. Chanyoung had even somewhat forgot the strange visit to her house and instead focused on his studies more and more.

 

But then, they had to remember again.

 

It was two months before school ended, and spring was in full bloom. Flowers had sprung up from the ends of the ground, turning each garden into a paradise. Chanyoung was admiring these flowers and trees, walking silently home before seeing a black car turn speedily out of his house. Chanyoung whirled around, trying to see who had passed by. “Mom?”

 

“Da Hee!”

 

Chanyoung’s father was in the middle of the road, his face full of anxiety and shock. Chanyoung widened his eyes, running towards his father and pulling him away from the road, just in time for the next car to pass by. “Dad?” Chanyoung looks at his beloved parent, wondering what was going on. He didn’t want to suspect anything, but it was too late for that.

 

“Chanyoung…” Is all that his father can muster, his face a mixed dark expression while glancing down at the gravel in front of him. “Chanyoung…I’m sorry…”

 

His father turns away, his shoulders slightly sagging while heading back to the house. Chanyoung follows silently a foot behind, wondering whether to keep the silence. He definitely knew enough about his father not to ask until he was told. And yet, he wondered in this situation if he ever would be told.

--

--

“Bo Na dear, I want you to listen to me.”

 

“No! How could Dad leave you? You must have done something – what did you do? He wouldn’t just leave us?! Why, why! Bring him back!” The mother watches as her daughter trembles and shouts loudly, the high pitched voice echoing around the room. She approaches the girl, sitting down on her bed and placing a hand on her shoulder.

 

“I don’t want your comfort. Just bring dad back.”

 

“Bo Na, listen to me. I will tell you why, so just listen to me.”

 

The girl finally quiets down and gives a small glance at her mother, initiating her mother to talk.

 

“Do you remember a few weeks ago we had a dinner with your classmates’s parents, Chanyoung?”

 

The sentence is like a screeching halt in Bo Na’s brain. It couldn’t be…Yet, she merely nods.

 

“His mother…his mother is a witch, Bo Na. In fact, all of them are disgraceful and disgusting. His mother is the worst though.” The horrible words coming from the elegant demure of her mother scare Bo Na, yet she can’t stop listening.

 

“His mother bewitched your dad, Bo Na. She bewitched him! Because of her, he left us. Do you understand?”

 

“No, Dad wouldn’t just leave us for a woman. He has you! He loves you!”
 

“Right now, we don’t know what will happen. Bo Na, listen to me. Are you listening to me? Bo Na! Yah!” her mother stands up and shouts as the girl suddenly slams the door of the room shut after running away. She makes it to the library of their house, breathing in the smell of old books. He had taught her chess here, her dad. Smiled and ruffled her hair whenever she lost and threw a fit.

Was that why he left? Because she was ungrateful and selfish? She wanted him all to herself, not to a random woman or witch or whatever she was. Bo Na would never forgive her, that woman. Chanyoung’s mom.

--

--

The last thing Chanyoung wanted to do was check his phone, but the buzzing distracted him from his reading too much. Sighing will sitting up and picking up his phone, he furrows his eyebrows when seeing an unknown caller.

“Hello? This is Yoon Chanyoung.”

“I hate you. Don’t ever talk to me again.”

 

There’s a click, and the line goes dead.

 

“What the…”

 

He goes back to his bed, picking up the book he had been reading. It was a story that had always helped Chanyoung through hard times, The Little Prince. Somehow, the nature of the writing calmed him down and helped him to think rationally.

 

Ring! Ring!
 

Not again…Chanyoung still reached over to pick it up, though. It was a different voice this time.

 

“Your family is a disgrace. You’re all a bunch of worthless trash. I hope you’re happy now.”

 

Again, very confusing. Nobody should know about what has happening except Chanyoung and his father. Unless this wasn’t about it. Maybe he was thinking too deep. For all he knew it could-

 

Buzz. Buzz

 

Five text messages unread.

 

All of them were from numbers he didn’t recognize, hurling insult at his family and him. What…was going on? Chanyoung ran to his father’s room, stopping outside the door when hearing a few angry shouts.

 

“No! I’m telling you I never signed those papers! What? No…Agh!” There’s a groan of frustration and Chanyoung bites his lip before stepping away, deciding that his father had worse problems to deal with. But they would be able to get over it. It was just one more obstacle to face. They would get through it.

--

--

Bo Na had not slept at all that night. The cold water she splashed on her face as a routine felt harsh as if it was full of needles. Her father was still gone. She had checked repeatedly throughout the night, hoping to hear the familiar ring of the password being unlocked. In the pain she had felt, unknowingly Bo Na had told many of her friends about the situation, not being one to hide her feelings. They had encouraged her to confront Chanyoung, resulting in his phone number being spread around like a wildfire. Bo Na hoped that was it. She had just sent one text message, but what about her friends? The thought frightened her, and it was quickly pushed away. The more important task was to just make it to school on time. In the mirror, she tries a quick smile, resulting in more of a slight upturn of lips. Good enough.

 

 
 
 
 
 

author's notes
:(