One

The Story of The Universe
one
"who are you?"
 
 

 

“Bo Na dear, this is Chanyoung, okay? Mom and Dad have to go to a dinner so become good friends, hm?”

 

Skeptical eyes stared back before a nod was managed.

 

“Good girl, now give your mother a kiss before she goes!”

 

“No.”

 

The elegant mother smiles, charmed by her daughter’s strong defiance. She had really grown from those elementary days with temper tantrums. And now had come the teenager rebellious stage.  “Alright – it’s okay, mom knows how you really feel,” She laughs before arranging the bow on her daughter’s perfectly curled hair. “Now be good!”

 

“Yah! Yeon-Kyung! Where are you? We have to go!”  A harsh voice booms from the office door as she quickly puts on her jacket and shoes.

 

“I’m coming! Coming!” Waving a quick goodbye, Bo Na watches her mother disappear from sight as the door closes with a click. Another dinner? Pencil scribbles distract her and she approaches the boy whom she was “friends” with now.


“Who are you?”

 

“Weren’t you listening to your mom?” Though his remark was a bit rude in her opinion, the bright smile he wore seemed to be relaxed and light.

 

“I was listening,” Bo Na emphasizes her words, and sits next to the boy. “I’m-“
“Bo Na, right?”

 

She watches him with silence. “I don’t like you.” How could he just interrupt her?

“That’s okay – I like you,” Chanyoung bursts into laughter as Bo Na tilts her head, amazed at how he found it so funny. Besides, how could a boy say that so easily?

 

“What do your parents do?” She switches topics, determined to know their ranking. Was her father higher up or his?

 

“I don’t know  - I don’t care. All I know is that he’s always busy,” Chanyoung says matter-of-factly, writing quickly with his pencil. Bo Na stares at it. He must not be rich if he still used those old yellow ones. The mechanical ones were a lot prettier and nicer.

 

“What are you doing?” Bo Na leans toward him, trying to get a look at the paper. He quickly hides it and looks at her suspiciously. “What?”

 

“No cheating allowed,” Chanyoung defiantly states, crossing his arms.

 

“We don’t even go to the same school!”

 

There’s a pause in the air as Bo Na stares directly at Chanyoung. No way…. he didn’t….

 

The boy breaks into laughter for the second time, his innocent face turning pink from the exertion. “Really? You don’t recognize me at all? I’m in your class too.”
 

“Well…well…” Bo Na s out her lower lip, staring at the floor and trying to remember who was in her class. Mm, well there was Soo Jin and Choi Hwa and Kim Tan of course – Bo Na smiles at herself at the thought of him – and Young Do and Rachel and…well, honestly nobody else really popped into her mind.

 

“It’s okay – I didn’t recognize you at first either,” Chanyoung shrugs his shoulders, continuing on with his work. Oh right – it was Monday tomorrow. Bo Na’s eyes widen as she remembers about the math homework she was supposed to finish.

 

“Hey, hey,” Bo Na changes her strategy, suddenly putting on a smile and scooting closer to Chanyoung. “I remember who you are now,” her eyes take up his whole vision, and he manages to move away slightly from her blunt gaze.

 

“Okay…?”

 

“You’re the really smart one, right? The one Ms. Park always talks to?”

 

 “Uh, I guess?”

 

“You are! I’ve always wanted to talk to you, you know…” Bo Na puts on her most innocent face, capturing his eyes before moving to her backpack that was set on the coffee table in front of the couch they were on. “You’re doing homework right now, right? See, I have no idea how to do this – it’s so complicated,” Bo Na whines and pouts while taking the sheet of math problems out.

“You’ll help me, right?” She smiles, pretending as if there was a halo above her face.

 

Chanyoung stares at her, wondering how somebody could change so quickly. It was cute though, he thought for a moment. “Sure,” He shrugs his shoulders again, indifferent to her wiles. Even if she had asked him rudely, he probably would have helped. It was just how he was.

 

--

--

 

“Why are we going in here? The children are there!” She tries to whisper but her anxiety shows through. He forages in his pants for the office keys and a familiar jingle allows him to take them out quickly and open the door, peeking in.

“They’re sleeping, it’s okay,” He takes her hand, leading her into the dark office before pushing her against the wooden desk, both hands surrounding the petite body. Lights from the city night shone through the blinds, revealing the lustful faces of both involved. Moving quietly, they both contain the screams of desire to the best of their ability.

“Mmphh.”

“Come on, harder, baby!”

“Don’t stop, please!”

“Ah..”

 

Voices slowly interfere into Chanyoung’s dream as he slowly opens his eyes, a hazy visual appearing. Ah, he was sleepy. He tries to move when he realizes that Bo Na was right on top of him. When had that –

Ring! Ring!

 

“Hello? Ah, darling, I’m coming down soon – Bo Na is just taking a bit to wake up…no! You don’t need to come, it’s okay, yes, Chanyoung’s mother is here too, don’t worry we’re just packing them up and cleaning up the office – they’ve had a great time.”

 

Chanyoung widens his eyes, getting a peak of the scene in front of him by moving Bo Na’s head slightly. It was dark, but nothing could make him mistake the face of his mother. He shuts his eyes, blocking it out of his head. Even though he may only be twelve years old, it was impossible not to understand what was going on. What about dad? The thought passed through his mind like a lone airplane on a night empty of stars.

 

“Chanyoung?” He panics when hearing the sleeping voice of Bo Na as she starts to open her eyes with all the buzz going on around her.  

 

“Shh!” Chanyoung manages to cover her eyes before she fully turns around and sees the scene, hoping that she hadn’t realized yet. Her face is full of puzzlement and as she starts to speak Chanyoung interrupts.

 

“Ahh! I’m so tired – where’s mom?” faking a loud yawn, he speaks loud enough for both adults in the room to hear. Scrambles and shuffling is heard as his mother appears next to him.

 

“Chanyoung dear! Let’s go home, now shall we?”

 

Hair disheveled, cardigan inside out. Shoes still not on, sweaty near the forehead. His face was as emotional as a stone. “Yeah,” He says calmly, managing to slide out under Bo Na’s weight. The girl sits herself up, averting her eyes from him. Why? Was she embarrassed after falling asleep on top of him? He had been trying to tutor her on how to use the quadratic formula when the eyes started to droop. Chanyoung cracks a smile, chuckling inwards. At least one good thing had come out of tonight. His mother drags him to the door, putting his shoes on in a hurry while avoiding all eye contact.

 

“Mom?” She glances down at him as they ride down the elevator.

 

“Do you really love us?”

 
 
 
 
 

author's notes
well...hello!