The A For Amusement Park

26 Letters, 26 chances [HIATUS]

The next day Hakyeon woke up even earlier than his alarm. He slipped out off his bed and got ready for the day. After his daily routine, he collected all the stuff he needed and put it in his small dark blue backpack. When he was finished with everything he had to do, he left his apartment and walked to Taekwoon’s front door. He stood in front of the dark green door for a while, pretty nervous even though he had visited Taekwoon before. Taking a deep breath he rang the doorbell and waited for the other to open.

“Good morning.” Hakyeon greeted happily, pushing the nervous feeling away when Taekwoon opened the door and let his neighbor in. “Are you ready for our date?”
“I asked you not to call it like that.”
“Geez, a little bit more enthusiasm wouldn’t hurt.”

Hakyeon took off his shoes and placed them neatly next to Taekwoon’s black sneakers before he followed Taekwoon. He could feel his nervousness coming back due to the fact that no one was saying anything. To distract himself a bit, he looked around the apartment. The walls of the hall were simply white and the floor was wooden. On the walls were some framed pictures neatly next to each other and where mostly from family and friends.

“Oh, you have prepared some coffee.” Hakyeon said surprised when he noticed the coffee cups and some biscuits on the small Oak wooden coffee table, as they both walked into the living room.

Hakyeon noticed that the walls of the living room were white as well. There were some shelves hanging on the wall that were decorated with different kinds of animal figurines made of glass. One of the shelves had all the animals of the Chinese zodiac standing on it and on the other shelf were only figurines of cats. Hakyeon assumed that cats must be Taekwoon’s favorite animal. When Hakyeon lo­­­oked at the wall in front of him, he saw a couch standing against it with a very unique looking lamp standing on the left side. Across the couch was a big sized TV above a wooden TV cabinet. Against the wall on Hakyeon’s right was an oaken closet that was filled with black ring binders together with a box that was messily filled with papers. There was a MacBook with its charger lying in it as well, on the second highest shelf of the closet.

Taekwoon’s apartment was so unlike Hakyeon’s. In Hakyeon’s apartment, most walls were colored in a pastel green or yellow. Hakyeon dislikes the original white because he thinks it’s a boring color. Hakyeon owned many framed pictures that were hanging playfully on the walls with pictures from himself with his family and friends. Just like Taekwoon, he got wooden floors in the hallway and living room. He also had the practical furniture standing in his living room, but then with some more decorations and electronics.

“We haven’t discussed any of the activities just yet, so I thought it would be best to do so with a cup of coffee.” Taekwoon said and he took his cup with both hands, warming them up. “So, what have you planned for today?”
“We’re going to an amusement park.” Hakyeon answered as he took one biscuit and dipped it in his coffee. It had become a habit since he always does that with biscuits when he drinks tea.
“An amusement park?”
“Yeah, why not? It will be fun.”
“And what about the other 25 activities? What have you planned for those?” Taekwoon took a sip of his coffee.

Taekwoon really wanted to know what Hakyeon had planned, just in case that he had to do something embarrassing or something that would put all the attention on him. Something like a workshop Acting.

“I’m not telling you, you’ll have to wait and see.” Hakyeon answered with a smile. He wanted to surprise Taekwoon.

Great’, Taekwoon thought. Exactly what he didn’t need. If he knew what the older planned for them, he could mentally prepare himself for the activity or he could just say he was sick or make some other excuse why he couldn’t participate.

“I think we should go after we finished our coffee.” Hakyeon said as he took another biscuit and checked his watch. “If we go by car we’ll arrive around the time the park opens. We can take my car.”

They finished their drinks and left Taekwoon’s apartment. Both men walked next to each other towards the elevator. Hakyeon pressed the button and waited until the doors opened. Standing next to each other, they felt awkward and were too shy to look at one another. After a soft ping, which meant that the elevator arrived at their floor, the doors opened and the guys went to the ground floor. They walked out of the building towards the parking lot and Hakyeon pressed the button on his car keys to open the locks. The lights of a red Ford Focus flashed a few times to signal that the locks were open.

“What are you waiting for, hop on.” Hakyeon said to the other, who doubted if he could enter the car first, before he took his place behind the wheel. He buckled his seat belt and waited for Taekwoon to take his seat and buckle his seat belt as well.

“If you want to you can choose a CD to listen to. They’re all inside the glove box. We can also turn the radio on if there isn’t anything you want to listen to.” Hakyeon said as he put the car key in ignition and started the engine.

Taekwoon opened the box and took the black CD wallet out when Hakyeon pulled out of the parking lot. He ped it and flipped through the pages with CD’s, most of them of girl groups.

“You sure like SNSD, don’t you?” Taekwoon asked as he noticed how many CD’s Hakyeon owned of that group.
“Is something wrong with that?” Hakyeon snarled back. “They got really good and catchy songs.”
“They must have. I think it was a few days ago that I heard you jamming to Gee.”
“Y-you heard that?” Hakyeon asked surprised as he felt his cheeks heat up.
“It was hard not to notice it.”
“Oh…” Hakyeon got quiet for a few seconds before he changed the subject. “Did you found something you want to listen to?”
“I did.”
“Okay you can put the CD in the player.”

Taekwoon took one of them out of the wallet and placed it into the CD-player. He then pressed play and Sistar’s Shake It started. Dumbfounded, Hakyeon looked at Taekwoon for a second before he looked back at the road. He would’ve never guessed that Taekwoon liked Sistar.

“Is there something wrong?” Taekwoon asked as he noticed Hakyeon’s quick but slightly judgmental glance at him.
“No, nothing. I just never thought you would like Sistar.”
“You aren’t the only one who likes a girl group.”

They didn’t talk much after Taekwoon picked out the music. All that could be heard was the music in the background and Hakyeon singing along softly. Taekwoon didn’t sing along at all, but he enjoyed the music. By the time the last song of the album ended, they had arrived at the amusement park. They both stepped out of the car when Hakyeon had parked it on an empty spot nearby the entrance. Hakyeon locked his car and then they both began to walk towards the entrance.

“Two entree tickets please.” Hakyeon said as they stood before the ticket booth.
“That’ll be 35,000 Won.” The employee didn’t even look up while he printed out two tickets.

Hakyeon took his black-leathered wallet out of his bag and took the right amount of money from it when he heard Taekwoon speak.

“We both pay for our own tickets.” Taekwoon took his own wallet out of his jeans pocket and ignored the surprised look that Hakyeon gave him.
“Then it will be 17,500 Won each.” The employee sighed and finally looked up, tapping impatiently with his index finger on the desk.

The both of them paid their tickets for the park and then walked through the entrance.

“Why didn’t you let me pay for you? I’m taking you out on a date, so I pay.” Hakyeon commented as he crossed his arms over his chest and pouted.
“First of all this isn’t a date, it’s an activity. Secondly I don’t want you to get broke.” Taekwoon answered.
“But I want to pay for you.”
“And I don’t want that. You still need to be able to pay the rent and to be able to buy food for yourself this month. You can’t do that when you pay everything for me. Do you understand?”
“Yes… I understand.” Hakyeon muttered as he looked at the ground. “Can I at least pay for your food and drinks?”
“Fine, but only the drinks.”
“Okay, thank you!” Hakyeon said happily. He was contended about Taekwoon allowing him to pay for at least his drinks. “Let’s go!” with that Hakyeon took Taekwoon’s hand and pulled him towards the attractions.

After a few hours going from attraction to attraction, they began to feel hungry and decided to get something to eat at one of the small snack bars in the amusement park. Both had ordered French fries with a soft drink. Their order was prepared sooner than they thought it would be and they had noticed some free places outside, so within ten minutes they ended up at a table with a parasol in the middle of the terrace.

“So, how far do you like it?” Hakyeon asked before he put one fry into his mouth.
“It’s fun.” Taekwoon answered and took a sip of his late.
“I’m glad you think so.” Hakyeon smiled before he took a sip of his Ice Tea. “How’s your food?”
“It’s good.”

Hakyeon tried his best to start a conversation that would last longer than one minute. He knew Taekwoon was always a man of a few words, but still it was frustrating.

“Any attractions you want to go after we finish our food?”
“There are a few rollercoasters I want to ride.”

Hakyeon looked down at his drink and began to stir with his straw. He avoided the rollercoasters and other high attractions on purpose, while hoping Taekwoon wasn’t the kind of person to enjoy those rides. Hakyeon has a really big fear of heights, so when the word “rollercoaster” left Taekwoon’s lips he could feel his stomach drop. He didn’t want Taekwoon to think he’s a wimp for not going with him, but if he joins him then there might be a chance he will cry of fear if the rollercoaster was too scary.

“W-well… we could do that after we finish lunch.” Hakyeon tried not to let his nervousness influence his tone of voice.
“That’s great.”

They finished their food before heading to one of the roller coasters in the park. Hakyeon was glad that there wasn’t a long row. That way he didn’t had much time to back out and just do it without thinking too much.

Five minutes passed and it was their turn to get in. Hakyeon had hoped that they would be placed somewhere in the middle or back of the train, but unfortunately got placed at the front. The cars of this rollercoaster weren’t placed on the rails, instead it hung at the rails. They sat down on their seat and waited until the amusement park employee fastened everyone's over-the-shoulder restraints. The employee double-checked if everything was correctly fastened before he took his seat behind the controlling panel and started the rollercoaster.

The moment the train began to move, Hakyeon grasped his restraints like his life depended on it. He could feel his anxiety becoming worse as the train slowly got pulled up higher and higher by the chain lift. Hakyeon gulped when they reached the top. He knew what would come next.

Just a second later the train coasted down. Hakyeon let out an unmanly scream as he felt the wind blowing harshly past him due to the speed. Hakyeon held his restraints even tighter when the first corkscrew came, followed by a looping a few seconds later. After that the cars were pulled up by another chain lift. Hakyeon let out a sigh as he finally was given the time to calm down and to look at Taekwoon. He hadn’t heard Taekwoon scream once. When he took a glance at the other he saw the brightest smile he had seen up until then on Taekwoon’s face. He seemed to enjoy himself a lot.

Totally distracted by Taekwoon’s smile, Hakyeon hadn’t realized that the train had reached the top. He did realize once the cars coasted down in a spiral, causing Hakyeon to let out another unmanly scream. What happened the rest of that ride was like a blur to him and although he didn’t remember much about it in detail, it still felt like the rollercoaster lasted for ages. He was so glad the moment he was able to get out.

“Are you okay?” Taekwoon asked as he noticed Hakyeon’s shaking hands.
“I’m fine… It's just the adrenaline. It will take some minutes until it stops. Don’t worry too much about it.” Hakyeon answered, not wanting to let Taekwoon know how frightened he was. “I will just sit down for a while. You can go and enjoy the other rollercoasters you wanted to ride.”
“You’ll be fine?”
“I will, don’t worry.” Hakyeon answered as he sat himself down on the first free bench he could find.

Taekwoon nodded before he left and went to the rollercoasters he still wanted to ride. His to-ride list wasn’t long, so within 40 minutes Taekwoon was back at the place he left Hakyeon. The older was still sitting on the wooden bench, typing an email for his work.

“Are you feeling better?” Taekwoon asked when he took a seat next to Hakyeon.
“I’m feeling better, thanks. The shaking stopped a while ago.”
“Is there still something you want to do here?”
“Not really, it’s actually getting late too. Maybe it's a good thing to call it a day and set up the date for our next date?” Hakyeon told the younger as he looked at him. “Unless there is something you still wanted to do?”
“No, I’m fine. Let’s head home.”