Prologe

26 Letters, 26 chances [HIATUS]

It was early in the morning when Hakyeon woke up by the alarm of his phone that was playing the sound of a rooster. Trying to find the phone, he searched with one hand under his pillow and blanket. He rose into a sitting position when he found the device and turned the alarm off. It was 6AM. Hakyeon quickly slipped out of bed to get dressed and prepare his breakfast.
 
He walked over to his closet and opened the door. He looked through all the pieces of clothing until he found something to his liking. After a few minutes he pulled out a dark green skinny jeans, a plain white shirt and a baseball jacket. He then quickly got changed and went to the kitchen, where he the water boiler before he left the kitchen again. He brushed his hair and teeth while he waited for the water to boil. When he got back into the kitchen, the water was completely boiled and ready to use. Hakyeon took an empty cup and poured some hot water into it. He then took a tea bag from his tea box and put it in the water, letting it untouched for a minute before he removed it and threw it into the trashcan. Hakyeon blew a few times into the cup and checked the temperature before he took a sip of his tea. He looked at the clock that was hanging at the wall above the dining table.
 
“6:30AM, that means Taekwoon will check his mailbox in ten minutes.” Hakyeon mumbled to himself.
 
Hakyeon wasn’t stalking Taekwoon or anything like that. In fact, they were neighbors and since Hakyeon’s apartment was closer to the hall with the staircase and elevator, Taekwoon always had to pass Hakyeon’s apartment. Hakyeon noticed after a while that Taekwoon always checked his mail at a specific time.
 
When Hakyeon finished his tea, he heard the door of his neighbor’s apartment close. He saw Taekwoon walking past his kitchen window a few seconds later. Hakyeon went to his front door and put on his shoes before taking the keys and left the house to check his mail.
 
“Good morning!” Hakyeon greeted happily when he arrived at the hall on the ground floor with all the mailboxes of the apartment complex.
“Morning.” Taekwoon greeted back softly.
“I was wondering if you are free today… so do you want to go out with me?”
“I’m busy.” Taekwoon answered as he closed his mailbox.
 
Taekwoon never was really much of a talker. Whenever he spoke, it was clear and short. Hakyeon had heard that answer everyday for the past years and yet Taekwoon never gave him a reason why he declined. That’s the reason why Hakyeon never gave up on him. He always had hope that Taekwoon would say that he wants to go out with him the next time he asked. However, Hakyeon slowly was getting sick of hearing the same answer every single day since he developed a crush on his neighbor.
 
It was around two years ago when he met Taekwoon. Taekwoon had just moved in, but already got in trouble due to the fact that the building instructions of his brand new closet, cabinet and kitchen table where completely written in Japanese and Chinese. Taekwoon did not know where the Korean version was. He must have lost it or that language was not included somehow.
 
Taekwoon's Japanese and Chinese skills weren’t that good, so he decided to ring the doorbell next door. He would meet his new neighbor sooner or later anyway. Fortunately for Taekwoon, Hakyeon was skilled enough to read the instructions in Japanese. He only needed to look up some words in a dictionary to know what the instructions wanted him to do or just to make sure he didn’t mistranslated something. Taekwoon was really grateful for Hakyeon’s help and had asked Hakyeon to stay for a cup of coffee. Hakyeon accepted the offer and they both talked with each other. Or well, Hakyeon did most of the talking. After their first meeting, Hakyeon kept trying to stay in contact with his neighbor. Hakyeon was a social butterfly after all and Taekwoon seemed very nice.
 
Taekwoon was fine in the beginning when Hakyeon came over for some coffee, but after a little while it became clear that Hakyeon developed a crush for him. That was the moment when Taekwoon began to avoid him and would always say that he’s busy whenever Hakyeon asked him out. Taekwoon wasn’t that great when it comes to expressing how he feels, so rather than telling his neighbor that he doesn’t like him like that, he just simply replied that he was busy.
 
“What is it you’re so busy with all the time? Can’t you just take a day off?” Hakyeon asked.
“It’s none of your business and I can’t take a day off.” Taekwoon said as he looked through his mail before he began to walk back to the elevator.
“Why can’t you take a day off?” Hakyeon asked. He quickly collected his mail, closed his mailbox and ran after Taekwoon.
“Because, I don’t want to.”
“Come on, there is so much more than whatever you're busy with. Can you please go out with me, just for one time?”
“No.”
“Please.”
“No.”
 
A soft bell could be heard when the elevator arrived at the ground floor. Both men stepped into it and waited for the doors to close.
 
“I like you.” Hakyeon said when the doors of the elevator were closed. “I like you for quite a long time.”
“I know.” Taekwoon said as he kept staring at the closed doors. “It’s pretty obvious to see.”
“Oh... so that’s why you don't want to hang out?”
“That's not what I’m saying.”
“Then, what is it what you mean?”
“I'm just busy, okay? Just let me be.”
 
The doors of the elevator opened, both of them walked out and went towards their own apartment.
 
“I’ve got an idea.” Hakyeon started. He paused a bit to see if he got Taekwoon’s attention. “I challenge you to go out with me on 26 different kinds of dates. Each date has an activity starting with the letters of the alphabet and if you haven’t fallen in love with me by the end of the 26th date, then I will move on and never ask you out ever again.”
 
Taekwoon stopped typing in the code of his apartment, looked at Hakyeon. Hakyeon knew if he wanted to chance Taekwoon's mind he had to come up with something like this. Eventhough it was risky that Taekwoon wouldn't fall for him. Hakyeon was willing to take the risk and try to steal Taekwoon's heart. Taekwoon was still looking at Hakyeon as he was thinking to accept the deal or not. All he has to do is spending 26 dates with Hakyeon, after that he won't be bothered by Hakyeon ever again. Knowing that those days will fly by really fast, Taekwoon decided his decision.
 
“Okay, deal.”
“Reall? That's great!" 
Hakyeon said happily and smiled. "I will see you tomorrow for our first date!” 
“Please don’t call it like that.” Taekwoon said before he continued typing in his apartment code and went inside.
 
Hakyeon let out a happy cheer before he went inside his own apartment. He then took a pen and paper, sat on his diner table and began to write down all kind of activities that he could think of for each letter of the alphabet.