Chapter 4

What Is Happiness?

 

 

                              "Okay class,I want you to run 5 laps around the school field for warm-ups before we start class.So.."coach keeps on speaking as we're on the school field right now."What did I miss?"I turn around & find Seunghwan standing beside me.She wrinkles her nose at me playfully & I smile."Not much.Just that we have to run 5 laps before class starts,"I say."Like they're even gonna let us play anything on the first day.All they're gonna do is make us exercise,"Naeun says from my other side."But running is an exercise!"Seunghwan groans."Go tell that to coaches face & it's  20 push-ups for Ms.Seo,"Naeun says as we start running.

"I never had P.E with Vermin,you know?"Seunghwan says suddenly.

"Really?Like never?"I ask,turning to her while we are running.

"No wonder I love this class so much,"Seunghwan grins & I laugh.

"I seriously don't get how the 2 of you are bestfriends.You two literally try to choke eachother to death.Fight over lame things like who'll get in class first,who'll pay for something,even who'll get the first hit,"Naeun says & I burst out laughing.

"Kim Jongin!"coach shouts & I shut up immediately.

"No we don't.He's stupid so he doesn't even notice that he always ends up paying,"Seunghwan says & I snort."Seo Seunghwan!Let's see who finishes first,"Sungjae pops up,running beside us now.

"Aww,buddy.Why do you keep torturing yourself?Humiliation to a girl is too much,no?"she says & I bite the inside of my cheek.

"We'll see who gets humiliated this time.1,2,3...go!"Sungjae says & runs off."Poor kid,"Seunghwan grins & follows suit.

                                         ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"So,what do you think about our dear Seo Seunghwan?"Taemin asks as we're on our way to the changing room to get ready for Dance class.

"I really like her.And I think I'm getting along great with her & stop giving me that look,"I frown as he has a eating grin on his face.

"The way you say it~"he says in a sing-song voice.

"I did it on purpose as I'm indicating in a friendly way.She's bubbly & talkative.During P.E it was fun chatting with her.Also,now I know where you keep your secret stash,"I grin & he goes blank."Ugh!SEO SEUNGHWAN!!"he groans.

"Relax..she told me a lot more than that,"I say & he glares."Taemin hyung?What are you doing here?"Sehun appears right after the bell rings."Changing,"he says,waving his uniform shirt in the air.

"No,I meant I'm pretty thure I shot like a bullet outta class as soon as the bell lang.But you're thupposed to be in P.E & Baekhyun hyung says he was 18 minutes late for his class after P.E,"he says in one breath.

"I bunked saying my ankle hults.Thee?"Taemin says showing his right ankle,which is covered with bandages.

"You got hult?!"Sehun gasps."It's a plank.I mean prank.He does it to bunk P.E,"I turn around to hide my grin.

                                       ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Teacher!!May..I..come in!"we turn to the door to see Seunghwan crouching by the door while catching her breath,holding her knees.

"Come in,Miss Seo.I told you not to run to class or you'll get tired before the teachers even start teaching.Well,atleast you're warmed up.Okay class,so most of you have been in this class since Freshmen year & some of you are even idols,"Mrs.Choi--our Dance instructor--nods at us & continues.Seunghwan comes over & leans on Seulgi who is on Taemin hyungs left & I'm on his right.

"In dancing,if you can master the fluidity of dancing  to ballad songs you can master any form of dance,"Mrs.Choi says.

"Right now I need to get fluidity in my system,"Seunghwan mutters chugging down a bottle of water."Mr.Lee & Miss Seo,if you may,"Mrs.Choi says & she chokes on her water while Taemin pats her back hard."Mr.Lee,be a little more gentle!"she scolds."I'm sorry,"Taemin grins & Seunghwan glares at him.

"How about the the two new students show us how they dance,"Krystal says.

"Yes,of course.Though I'm sure all of you have already seen them dance,"Mrs.Choi says.

"Seunghwan hasn't!"Taemin hyungs says holding Seunghwans' hand up."What?!"she glares at him."Okay.Well,who wants to be first?"Mrs.Choi claps her hands smiling at us,ignoring DM2 like she's used to them fighting--most likely.

Sehun & I go blank,so Sungjong suggests to play rock,papers,scissors.Sehun loses & starts dancing to 'MAMA'."Omo!Sehunnie~That was so awesome!"Seunghwan grins at Sehun once he finishes.Sehun goes red & mumbles a soft 'Thank you' ducking his head.

"And now,the moment we've all been waiting for.EXOs' dancing machine..KAI!"Taemin announces & everyone claps.

"Dude,gonna turn deaf here,"I grimace at him,walking to the front.I choose 'Growl' & stand straight taking a deep breath.The song starts & I put my all in it.You'd think after performing on many huge stages would make me made of steel.But performing infront of a class full of people my age & with friends watching you so intently,you'd feel nervous as hell.After I finish,I look down as everyone claps & some squeal.I bow & walk back to stand between Sehun & Taemin hyung.

"Woah Kai!You just broke our geniuses brain,"Taemin says & I turn to see Seunghwan slinging an arm around his shoulder.

"You know,I think we should keep it DM2.You in,him out,"she says,pointing at me before Taemin.I laugh while he fake gasps."No,I'm serious Kai.That was awesome!"

"Thanks,"I mutter scratching the back of my neck & ducking my head a little.

"Kai?Since when do you call him Kai?I thought you called him Jongin,"Taemin says turning to her.

"Yeah,but the person who danced was definately Kai & not Jongin,"she replies & we look at her confused."You have a different aura when you dance.Like..not Jongin-like,I guess?Jongin is shy & awkward & Kai is,well.."she purses her lips in thought.

"Maxstep MV?"Taemin supplies & Seunghwan nods once,narrowing her eyes at him.

"What I'm trying to say is,Kai has a more charis--""Kai!You were so amazing!"someone jumps on my back & turn my head to see Krystal smiling at me.

"Uh,thanks,"I smile politely & dip my head a little.

"I wish I could dance like you!Oh,hi Taemin oppa..& his girlfriend,"Krystal says getting off my back,now holding my arm.

"Seulgi isn't his girlfriend,"Seunghwan says."I meant you,"Krystal says."Oh,your highly mistaken.I'm straight.How can I be Vermins' girlfriend?"Seunghwan winces & clutches her stomach immediately as Taemin elbowed her.

"Aish,hyung,"I wince myself & he grins at me.

"Hah,I disagree,"Krystal says."What?That I'm his girlfriend?Or that I'm straight?"Seunghwan says & I cover my mouth to not laugh out loud.
"Whatever.But I think you're just using him for fame for when you debut,"Krystal says."Krystal!"I jerk my arm out of her grasp.

"Soojung,it's not my fault that you're back dated to believe the fact that opposite genders can be just friends without any ulterior motive.And I'm sorry if that offends you as fame might be the way you make friends.I'm not as low as you think of me,"Seunghwan says with her jaw clenched & bows before walking over to the corner of the room where Seulgi is.Everyone is scattered around the room in pairs,so I walk over to Sehun as Taemin hyung talks to Krystal with a scowl on his face.

                                ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Bye-bye Jongin!"Seunghwan smiles brightly at me,waving.I smile & wave back."You have a club meeting,right?"I ask."Hmm..wait,what?"she says looking up from the floor & Taemin snorts.

"Student Body Council meeting,"Taemin says & I nod."I won't come to school tomorrow for a CF shoot,"I say.

"No bigs.It feels more peaceful & less crowded without you,"Taemin grins,but winces right after as Seunghwan steps on his foot."Oops,Didn't see you there.I'm so used to ignoring him that I feel no difference when he isn't around.You learn to block him out eventually,"she says & I laugh,giving her a high-five while Taemin gives us a disapproving look.

"Better go.Later guys,"I  turn around & start walking to the car which is waiting for me.

"So,you're trying to kick me outta my group,huh?It'll be DM3 & there will be no DM without me!"Taemin says & I hear a yelp.I turn to see him grabbing Seunghwan in a head-lock."LEE TAEMIN!!"I shout & he lets go.

"This is nothing.Man,if you can't handle this,you're in for it when you see us actually fight,"he says."You'll be late.Get lost already,"Seunghwan says.

"I'm being kicked out on my second day at school,"I fake cry & leave waving.I hop in the car & sit in the passenger seat.As I look out the window,I see Taemin hyung dropping his fist on Seunghwans' head & she kicks his --literally.Then he chases after her back into the school building.I rest my head on the head-rest & laugh.

"He has officially lost it,"Chen hyung says from the back & through the rear view mirror I see Chanyeol & Baekhyun hyung nod their heads."No,not yet.But,I will soon,"I snort.

"Exactly.You are friends with Taemin & now Seunghwan.Those two combined is a disaster,"D.O hyung says.

"They are extlemely lucky.They nevel get caught,"Sehun says.

"Aigoo,why are you so cute,"Chanyeol hyung says putting him in a head-lock & shuffling his hair.

"Hyung!Don't do that,please!"Sehun whines & we laugh.

                                               ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Ugh!This !Why did we have to get 6 lockers in 6 different places?"I groan opening my locker.Thankfully there aren't many peaple to witness my outburst since we come early.Suddenly there's a tap on my right shoulder & I turn that way.

"Hey,Kim Jongin Kai!"I turn my head to the other side & see Seunghwan smiling at me brightly & I smile back."Hey,Seo Seunghwan!"I greet back.

"Wendy."

"What?"

"Back when I was in Canada--yeah,I lived in Canada & the US alternately since I was two--my parents changed my name to Wendy Shon because people wouldn't be able to pronounce my Korean name."

"This is your locker?"I ask as she opens the locker on my left.

"Wait,did I accidentally open Taemin hyungs locker again?"she mumbles starring inside the locker,eyebrows furrowed."What?"I laugh.

"Aish!This is my locker..?Yeah!See,it has my snack stash,"Seunghwan says holding up a Twix bar.I peek from behind her into the locker.

"Woah!"I gape at the huge amount of chocolates,chips,cookies,juice boxes neatly stacked beside her books.

"Here,"she half turns to me holding out a cookie.I stare at her as our faces are just inches apart & my eyes fleet over her features."Hello?"she waves her hand in front of my face & I blink.I mutter a thanks as I take the cookie from her.

"Good morning Romeo & Juliet!Hope I'm not interrupting,"we both jump at the sudden voice & turn around to see Taemin leaning on the locker beside Seunghwans.

"Even if you were,you wouldn't feel one bit guilty about it,"she says blankly.

"Aish,so much romance isn't good for health this early in the morning.You guys seem really close now,"he says & Seunghwan turns to me mimicking his expression & I snort to stiffle the laugh.

"Aww,you tw--""Ow,right.Jongin,you free this weekend?"Seunghwan cuts Taemin off."Yeah,I think,"I say.

"We can hangout then"Taemin pipes up.

"I was thinking of hanging out this Sunday?"she says more like a question."Okay.When?"I ask.

"I can't go if it's in the morning,"he says."Hmm..how about around 10am?"She says completely ignoring Taemin.

"Aish,you little brat!"Taemin groans,landing his fist on her head & she winces.

"Yah,hyung!You're gonna dent her head someday,"I place my left hand where he hit after shoving his hand away & Seunghwan turns to him."You're still here?Sorry,I didn't even feel your insignificant presense--which is his bad odor,"she whispers the last part to me & I laugh.

"Aish,you 2 little s,"Taemin says walking over to his locker which is on the opposite side of Seunghwans.

"Notice he has a mirror in there,"she whispers & I try to peek."Yah,don't look,"he stands straight to block the inside of his locker.

"I already saw light reflecting on it,"I say munching on my cookie & Seunghwan grins."I have it here so I can see what the little demon is doing behind my back,"Taemin says."Wonder who his talking about,"she says with a fake frown & I laugh.

"Hurry up hyung,"she says as we start walking down the hall."So,at what time?"I ask as I walk on her right."Afternoon.Around 4 or 5?"

"That sounds fine!"Taemin suddenly jumps on Seunghwans back & she crouches down a little under the weight,legs crossed--though wobbling--still somehow holding him up."Yah,Taemin!Have you lost it?She'll get hurt carrying your big fat ,"I smack his back.

"My back!"he shouts."My back,"Seunghwan mutters & he quickly gets down.
"What happened?"I ask."Nothing.I just reminded hi of my injury"she replies."What injury?"I ask confused.

"All in due time,"Taemin says & Seunghwan shoves a cookie in his mouth saying,"I'll explain later.We'll be late for class.Let's go."

                                               ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Psst,Seseung!"Taemin whispers from his table while we're in Math class.He exchanged seats with Kyungsoo hyung,so now his sitting beside me."Yah,Seo Seunghwan!"He hisses as Seunghwan ignores him playing with a rubiks cube staring at the board in front.I turn to him & see him furiously writing.He then rolls a piece of paper & throws it at our direction.Right then,she leans back in her seat casually & the ball flies out the window.I cover my mouth with the back of my hand to not laugh loudly.I peek at Taemin to see him viciously glarring at Seunghwan.

"Seunghwan,I think Taemin's trying to call you,"I whisper leaning back as well."Really?Oh,I didn't notice,"she smirks & writes down notes on her copy.I furrow my eyebrows at her,grinning at her ignorance.Suddenly I feel my phone buzzing in my pocket & take it carefully to see a message from Taemin hyung.I turn to him & he points at my phone,glarring.I peek at my phone under the table.

'Tell that friend of yours beside you to freaking turn to me or kindly ask her why this evening is a problem'--Taemin.

"Seunghwan,"I whisper nudging her knee lightly & she hums in response."Read this,"I say & she peeks at my phone."Jaehwan oppa is coming over today,so us cousins will be having a sleepover.He'll leave on Sunday morning,"she says going back to her rubiks cube."Your cousin?"I ask to make sure & she nods.

'Her cousins are gonna sleep over as another one is coming over'--Me

'Jaehwan hyung'--Taemin

'That's what she said'--Me

'Her other cousins live with her.What's wrong with tomorrow?'--Taemin

'He'll leave on Sunday'--Me

Suddenly my phone is replaced by a rubiks cube & after about a second someone clears their throat.I look up confused & flinch when I see Mr.Kim beside our table."Mr.Kim,I would appreciate it very much if you hand over your phone,please,"he says.I just stare at him eyes wide like a deer caught in the headlights.

"I thought you were playing with a rubiks cube or something,"Seunghwan says leaning on her left hand.'Yeah.."I say dumbly as I hold it up.

"Very well.Put it in your bag until class--"Mr.Kim gets cut off by the bell signalling the end of class."Ends,"he shakes his head & goes to take his things before leaving class.

"Oh!Seo Seunghwan!You're a life saver,"I turn to her,letting out the breath I was holding in.She shakes her head standing up & I stand up as well."I was so shocked when my phone suddenly disappeared for a second & was replaced by this,"I hand her the cube.

"Here's your phone,"She hands me back my phone.

"Where did you keep it?"I ask.She opens her uniforms' coats buttons & I lean closer to gape at the number of small pockets inside of it."I also like carrying snacks around,"she says & I grin up at her.

"Woah!Rated-PG scene alert!Take it somewhere private guys.There are kids here,"Chen hyung says covering Chanyeol hyungs eyes & he smacks it away.I stand up straight while she plays with the rubiks cube carelessly.

"oh,is it me or is it really getting hot in here?"Taemin grins.

"Is that so?We can always stuff that over-sized head of yours in the teachers' lounge deep freezer,"Seunghwan says & we laugh.

                                               ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Ugh!I hate English class.Why did it have to be compulsory?"Taemin hyung groans while the two of us walk through the halls to our next class.

"Hey,is it me or do the halls seem too quiet?"I ask looking around.

"You're right & that's never a good sign,"he says.Suddenly we hear voices in the distance as we walk forward.When we turn the next hall,we see a crowd.We push through the crowd to the front.".That's not gonna end well,"Taemin says.

"--You think you're so brave,huh?!"a guy--the one that gave Seunghwan the letter & the roses--grips the collar of a very scared & very bloody nosed kid.

"Yah,Ho Woohyun!Leave him be,his just a freshman,"Taemin shouts.

"Best if you keep that idol of yours outta this.These kids need to be taught how to respect their seniors,"Woohyun says.Suddenly,all the whispers amongst the crowd stops & the other two guys behind him slowly back away.He seems pretty oblivious to the change of atmosphere.Seunghwan suddenly emerges from the crowd opposite us with a stoic expression.She quietly goes to stand behind him & then pulls on his collar from behind,cutting him off mid-curse & resulting him in crashing against the lockers."Who the fu..?"he trails off rubbing his head & stares at Seunghwan.

Seunghwan gives him a blank face,yet a cold stare."Ho Woohyun,"she says in a quiet yet icy voice which makes a shiver run down my spine & Taemin flinch beside me."The Principal has called you to his office.Be 5 minutes late & you'll be expelled.Same goes for you two,"she points at his friends & turns to the kid.The two of them hurry to help Woohyun stand up."I'm gonna count from 5.If I see a single goddamn soul near this hall or anywhere near,all of you will get detention.Since all of you just love to stand & stare at a kid getting beat up instead of helping.Pretty sure everyone knows I can do that."

With that,everyone starts scrambling around to get to their classes.By 3 everyone has left except me,Seunghwan,Taemin & the kid."You okay?"Seunghwan asks & the kid nods though his far from okay with a broken nose & bleeding lips."2,"she says as she holds a clothe around her nose & turns to glare at us.We look behind us,but noone's there.

"You mean--""I told everyone to get lost.Did you hear me say 'everyone except Taemin & Jongin'?Best if you guys get lost before I regret it,"Seunghwan cuts me off."Seunghwan.."Taemin says softly."Leave,please,"she says looking down & her voice breaks at the end.

I frown & am about to walk forward,but Taemin stops me shaking his head."I'll explain later,"he says noticing my confused expression & turns around walking forward.I turn to Seunghwan one more time before following him.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Aaaaand that's a wrap!I can't believe I took 5 months to update.I know it's lame,but I'm trying to build a base of the story first.Spoiler:A kinda important character of the story was mentioned in this chapter.Well,technically I started working on this chapter last month since my exams ended.But this year I'm supposed to give my entrance exams so it's kinda hectic so pray for me.THANK YOU & BYE GUYS!!

PS:A HUGE thanks to the 6 subscribers who are still subscribed to this story!! <3