Chapter 3

What Is Happiness?

A/N:All sentence/words in english are in italic&bold.Btw,the whole story is from Kai's point of view.

 

         "Either they'll kill me or they'll kill me,"I mumble as I'm sitting in class fiddling with a pencil,analyzing what will happen when Sehun & the hyungs finally come.Just a few minutes ago,when we arrived at school we were surrounded--which is quite shocking cause we came pretty early today.But I managed to slip out saying I need to tie my shoes.I put on a hoodie & some shades & slipped passed everyone.Shocked it worked,seeing that the hyungs & sehun didn't even notice me.

Someone taps on my right shoulder & I turn that way."Here,"I turn to my left & find my seatmate Seo SeungHwan--bestfriend to my bestfriend Lee TaeMin of SHINee--placing 3 bouquets of orange & red roses & 2 boxes of chocolate in front of me."Uh..what are these for?"I ask holding up one of the bouquets in order to hide my slightly burning cheeks.Seunghwan just shrugs in response,resting her chin on her left palm while facing me,but eyes on the objects on our table."T-thanks,"I smile placing it back."Don't thank me.This isn't even half of what I was supposed to bring,"she says closing her eyes."No,it's fine.You didn't even have to bring these,"I smile."Actually,if I didn't they would've killed me.I think I dropped the letters they told me to give you.They shoved the rest--""Wait,wait.Who are they?"I cut her off after snapping out of admiring her side profile.She now shifts her gaze on me while stretching her arms."Girls,fans,sasaeng.Whatever you call them.I almost had a when I saw a crowd in my locker area.It was like  deja vu,the same thing happened,but with Taemin when we became lab partners in sophomore year.That time it was more shocking as I just got back from Canada & had almost zero idea about Kpop.Atleast I knew you're a idol,so I wasn't really shocked & walked casually to my locker,"she says & I nod looking at the things."Are you mad that I didn't bring the rest?"Seunghwan asks peeking at my face."No.Why'll I be mad?What did you do when this happened to Taemin?"I ask turning back to her."Um,we weren't really close at that time.He used to apologize,I used to apologize--because they were bothering me & I was bothering him.Then after some weeks of this,he brought his 1st box of chocolates to me at lunch & we laughed over the story of how he got it.I laughed so hard because he told them that he only accepts milk chocolates & toffees.So instead of flowers they started giving notes & chocolates."As much as I remember,he was always evil,"I laugh.

"Yeah.With his 1st prank on the following days we became trouble buddies.And with that started--""DM2!"Taemin finishes sitting between us a bit back so that his facing us."Not Despicable Me 2,"she says & I snort,smiling."Well,it's supposed to be Dancing Machines,"Taemin says."Some call us 'Demon & Monster',"Seunghwan says percing her lips while looking at the ceiling."She's demon & I'm monster,"he says."And now you think we're weird,"she smiles at me."No!Why would I thi--""No worries.In a few days he'll join & we'll upgrade to 'DM3'.Come to think of it,that sounds better,"Taemin grins & Seunghwan chuckles,placing her legs over his thighs."You dance too?"She asks & I nod,grinning."EXO's dancing machine.Remember the Maxstep MV?The guy sitting in front of the stereo's,"Taemin grins at Seunghwan,placing his legs on my thighs.

"That was him?That's not even funny anymore,"she says."What isn't funny anymore?"I ask."Not even the updo?You were asking who he was,"Taemin says."Correction,I asked who he was,"she says."Yeah,but you did.Dude,why are you still sitting so formally?"Taemin furrows his eyebrows at me."Formal?I'm not even sitting straight.How is th--""He meant,why you aren't placing your legs on me,like the two of us,"Seunghwan cuts me off & I just stare.

"Oh-ho-ho!Little Jongin's blushing,"Taemin grins."Why won't he?He might be your best friend & vise versa,but I'm just his best friends friend.And if you haven't noticed,we just met yesterday,"she says."Well,if you're my best friend,you'll end up as his too,"he says."Which can not happen literally over night.Don't push him,"Seunghwan says threading her fingers through her hair."Aww,are we concerned?"Taemin grins."You have my wallet,"she says suddenly."What?"we ask."You have my wallet.You'll give it back in 10,9,8,7--""Fine,fine!Don't have to count,"Taemin glares at her & shoves a blue wallet in her hands."Thank you,"she smiles,wrinkling her nose cutely.

"Don't worry,brat.Jongin's a nice guy.He won't turn you down like me,"he says.She scoffs & says,"There is one behaviour in boys I hate.And that is being full of themselves.And you happen to be over flowing with that.And the way you are scared of me,is a reason itself you'd never have the guts even if you liked me.""You proposed to her?"I turn to Taemin."No.She proposed to me,"Taemin says,but groans right after as Seunghwan raises her leg & plummets it right back down right on his thighs."Nothing like that ever happened,"he squeaks."Just because you're a monster doesn't make him one too.His very sweet --"she stops mid sentence,percing her lips & Taemin laughs."Okay,he is very..nice.Way better than you at least,"she finishes."Dude,if Seseung hadn't seen the Maxstep MV,she would've been calling you sweet & innocent right now,"Taemin says."But I am sweet & innocent,"I say turning to Seunghwan."Well,we'll find out shortly once I get to know you better.I shouldn't judge anyone without knowing anything about them,"she says."Yes,because Kai looked to y in that MV to be innocent,right Seseung?"Taemin grins & she places her feet back on the floor.

"Vermin,don't make me regret my next move.If you don't shut up,I'm gonna kick you so hard that your nuts will smash into your brain,"Seunghwan says in a deadly calm voice & Taemin gulps pulling back his legs to sit straight."Sorry,"he says & I just stare at the two.It might've been an empty threat,but the intensity with which she said it was scary itself."Remind me never to get on your bad side,"I say & Seunghwan fights a smile to compose her blank face."Will do,"she says.

The door to our class opens & we turn to see Jingoo poking his head in."Noona,"he says nodding at us with a smile."Coming,"Seunghwan stands up & walks around Taemin & gives him a back hug."No hard feelings,buddy.Sometimes you just get on my nerves.Later Jongin,"she waves at me after shuffling Taemins' hair,much to his annoyance.I smile at her waving & she leaves with her cousin.

"Hey..what does Vermin mean?"I ask after a few seconds."Like the nickname I gave her,she also gave me one.She kept it because of the 'Min' & Vermin is an English word which means..'Creatures that are difficult to get rid of',"Taemin mumbles the last sentence & I burst out laughing."Man,she got that right,"I laugh,but it immediately falters as he glares."Wow,my glare actually works.I'm so used to Seseung not being affected by it,"he laughs & I roll my eyes.The teacher comes & we go to our seats.

Suddenly there's a clicking sound like yesterday & I turn my attention to the speaker eagerly."Annyeonghaseyo everyone!Another bright & sunny day.No more notices this week after today.Once more,do not violate the rules.We.Are.Watching.You,"she chuckles & I smile."All memebers of all the clubs are requested to go to the notice board & check the time of their respected meetings.Those who wish to join a club are requested to contact the club presidents.As for the Student Body Counsil,all members are to gather at the meeting room right after school.That'll be all.Kamsanmida~!"The speakers beeps again marking the end of the announcement & I stare at the speaker,chin on my left palm."JONGIN!!"I snap my head around to search for whoever called."What?"I ask frantically,looking around."Mr.Kim it would be highly appreciated if you at least pay attention when your name is being called,"Mr Kim--our Math teacher--says with a blank face."Ne.Sorry sossenim,"I say & bow my head.

    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~                                                  

   "How about Jong-Jong?"Taemin asks enthusiastically."Gayoung & the others call Sungjong that,"Seunghwan says scribbling on her notebook."How about In-In?"he suggests & Seunghwan slams her pencil on the table turning to him with a look that says,Seriously?"It doesn't necessarily have to be from my name,"I say."In-In sounds so gay when you say it.Though the girls of our school like to call you Jong-Jong & Tae-Tae behind your backs,"she says."How do you know?"he asks."Well,I hate the girls washroom,but dire situation calls for dire measures.Doing your business while sitting in a cubicle bearing to hear girls fangirling over your friends does the opposite of speeding the process,"she grimaces & we laugh.

At the moment we're in Physics class.I'm sitting beside Sehun infront of Taemin & Seunghwans' table.Surprisingly,the 3 of us--DM2 & me--have most classes together.Class hasn't started yet so I'm facing Seunghwan & Sehun's facing Taemin."We sometimes call him Jonginnie,"Sehun suggests."Well,it's already taken.We need a new one,"Taemin says."Honestly,picking your name was easy cause you remind me of a vermin.As for Jongin,we need to analyze his behaviour to know,"Seunghwan says staring at me,lips pursed & head cocked to the side.I blink at her dumbly & she smiles."Here's one.If you keep saying 'Jongin' very fast.It turns into.."Taemin starts saying my name fast."Aha!It turns into Jagi.So Seseung will be calling him that,"Taemin grins at her."No,hyung.His names Jongin not Jangin.If it was the latter,then it would be Jagi,"Sehun says & Taemin shoots him a glare & mouths Shut up!

"Wait,Kai.What do you call Seseung?"he asks."Seunghwan..?"I say scratching the back of my neck."Not even just Seung?"Sehun asks & I shake my head."Hyung,seriously.Cut the kid some sla--""I thought I was older than you,"I cut her off."Yeah.But half a year younger than Vermin here.It's like you're pushing him to be bestfriends with me,"Seunghwan says.

"Well,I am,"he says matter-of-factly & she raises an eyebrow at him,while I give him a confused look."Well,you two are my bestfriends & I want the same thing to happen to you two as well.And DM3 can finally start,"he says."I thought it was DM2,"Sehun says."His planning on Jongin debuting under our label,"Seubghwan says."Hah!Good one,"I say & she gives me a high-five."See,that's a start,"Taemin says."Yah,hyung!You're saying like I hated him before or something.Let me rephrase,I met him YESTERDAY!And I think I'm doing fine at being friendly.Am I not?"Seunghwan turns to me with an intense stare.I blink a few times before replying,"Y-yeah.I'm just a bit,er--""Shy,"Sehun adds,but I ignore him."Other than that Seunghwan's doing a great job at being a friend.She started joking from the start at class break.""That & I would've spoke to him yesterday during math when he was starring at me.I was just too upset to speak that time,"she says & my eyes go wide alongside Taemin & Sehuns' grins.Just when Taemin's about to say something,the teacher walks in & we shuffle to fix our seats.

After ten minutes into the class,Seunghwan & Taemin start a rapid conversation while the teacher's facing the board."S,if we hit at 50° ang--""45°!50° will ruin the stability.1cm difference will ruin the whole plan,"Seunghwan cuts Taemin off."Why can't we just break into one of the teachers' cars & stuff trash into it?It's easier,"he whines."Yes,for you.And last time I was breaking the lock you were munching on snacks while 'Keeping guard',"she interjects."Well,we need to do something easier for Kai's debut prank/mission,"he says & I snort.

"You are seriously a vermin.You're like opposing things on him,"she says.

"Why do you go all mother-mode when it comes to him?Or should I say lover-mode."

"If you want him to 'debut',it'll have to be his own idea."

"It's like you're trying to teach him how to handle his life."

"What will I teach him?His older than me."

"Yeah well,when in love girls get protective over boys.

"Would you knock it off,"Seunghwan hisses & an audible smack! follows."Guys,"I warn focusing on the teacher.

"If you two fall in love with eachother it'll be better for our group,"Taemin says.

"Aish!I thought you were trying to make us into friends,"Seunghwan says.

"I am,but don't you think you two are perfect for eachother?"

"No!I prefer not to have romantic thoughts about a guy who is supposed to be my friend."

"I think you two should go on a date--""Mr.Lee & Miss Seo,"the teacher says quietly & the two stand up."Mind sharing the sunject of the interesting debate you two have been having for so long,"he adds.

"We're sorry,sir,"the two bow.

"Last time I rememember clearly I said that I will change your seats permanently.It doesn't matter if you are good in my subject.I will not tolerate disturbance in my class!Sit down,"the teacher barks out & DM2 sit down heads bowed.The teacher starts teaching again.

After about twenty minutes or so Seunghwan pipes up after whispering with Taemin."Sir?"

"Yes,Miss Seo?"he asks turning to her.

"I wanted to ask..according to the motion of projectile*,is it a parabola if the angle is 5 or 45º?"she asks standing up alongside Taemin.

"It's supposed to be 45º,"the teacher says.

Seunghwan turns to Taemin & says,"Hah!Told you it was 45º,or the object won't fall in the same distance & height.""I was just suggesting,"he protests.

The teacher clears his throat & says,"Were you two discussing about this before?"The two nod with their best innocent looks which makes me snort."Ow,then excellent!I haven't even started that chapter,"he says.

"We're making a catapolt for the science fair,so we were reading the chapter on Projectile,"Taemin says & the teachers strict face cracks into a proud smile & he tels them to sit down after complimenting them.Sehun & I share a confused look before shaking our heads & turning back to the teacher.

        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"What the heck was that?"Chanyeol hyung says the moment Taemin hyung & Seunghwan sit down for lunch.Seunghwan beside me & Taemin hyung beside her.

"What was what?"Seulgi asks,who is sitting beside Taemin.

"Nothing.Just an excuse to not get caught & be labelled as angels infront of the teacher,"he says.

"You two are evil,"I laugh."This is nothing.Get ready for more,"Seulgi says & DM2 flash me an evil grin.

After a few minutes,everyone starts talking in pairs or small groups."What's your next class?"I ask Seunghwan.She pops a grape in & says,"Probably a lab.Hey,Seulgi.What's my next class?"She leans forward to look at her.

"Chemistry,then P.E,"she says checking her phone.

"What she said,"Seunghwan says turning to me now biting a strawberry.

"I have P.E with you then,Cause I have Biology after lunch,I think,"I say munching on a sandwich.

"Hyung?"she turns to Taemin."Geography,free period,P.E & Dance."

"That means the three of us only have Dance class together.Sehun?"Seunghwan says turning our way--Sehun on my right--while popping a blue berry in .I stare at her,then at her lunch.A box full of different colorful fruits.I snort smiling & look at her."Seunghwan!"I laugh,making the ones closest to us--D.O hyung,Sehun,Taemin & Seulgi--turn to us.

"What?"Seunghwan asks,now a kiwi in hand."Everytime you turn there's a new fruit in your hand,"I laugh.

"Ow,so you've finally noticed Seseungs crazy fruit habbit,"Taemin says.

"I didn't even eat lunch here yesterday.How does the word 'Finally' work here?"she say."Aish,I was just saying,"he groans.

"On a diet?"D.O hyung asks."No,she just likes fruits a lot,"Seulgi says."It looks like a rainbow,"Sehun comments.

"The brighter,the fresher,"Seunghwan says now holding up a rasberry & I bite my inner cheek & struggle to keep my laugh in check.Which I fail in as I accidentally let out a small snort.

"Would you stop laughing,"Seunghwan laughs turning away & I grin.

"Ooh,is someone blushing~"Taemin grins & she sighs turning to me.

"Jongin,I want you to look me straight in the eyes--also at my cheeks.Do I look like nervous or do you see blood in my cheeks?"she asks still looking at me with her piercing gaze.She lost me at 'Jongin'.

"Y-yeah,"I say."What?!she shrieks & I flinch while Taemin laughs with the others around the table."Wait,wait.What did you ask me?"I ask confused & Seunghwan pouts,looking at me with narrowed eyes.

"She asked if she was blushing?"Hani noona says.

"Why will youy blush?No,you weren't,"I flush which makes me stutter.

"Poor Jongin hyung.Noona already gave him the glare,so his lying for now,"Sungjae says.

"That wasn't a glare,"Seunghwan turns to me frowning while there's a cute pout on her lips."You didn't!She just--""Give it a rest,Kai.We all know how Seseung feels,"Taemin cuts me off.

"Ugh,shut up already,you !"Seunghwan groans."Learn from the mouth herself,"he grins & the two starts cussing at eachother,not so lightly.I just stare at the two open mouthed.

"Just ignore them.They tend to swear a lot,"Seulgi says.

"Their name DM2 has many forms,"Gayoung says.

"Dancing Machines 2,"Suzy says."Demon & Monster 2,"Naeun adds.

"Another one is Dirt Mouths 2,"Sungjong says."Or Damned Mouths 2,"Sungjae says.

"Kai swears too.He'll fit in fine,"Taemin says & Seunghwan & I roll our eyes.

 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

*So,I was doing my Physics homework right before writing that small part about the catapolt it just came randomly.Woops.So,FINALLY updated.I'm soo sorry it took so long,but my entrance exams are this year & life has been killing me with a landslide of tests all year.Hope the next update won't take thiiis long.THANK YOU & BYE GUYS!FIGHTING!!~~~