reverie

reverie

He watched as she sat alone on the park bench.  Her wavy hair swaying to the rhythm of the light breeze. 

The rays of the afternoon sun bounced off her features perfectly, as if giving effect to her already stunning beauty. 

To him, she was the epitome of divinity.  He gazed endlessly as she tilted her head back savoring the soft caress of the wind. 

Her flowing dress gracefully danced up and down revealing her flawless fair skin that contrasted to its shade of burgundy.

 

Taking in one last breath, he finally managed to regain his senses and started his tracks, never taking his eyes off of the beauty that awaited him, not even for a mere second. 

As if the crowd of people surrounding them had disappeared, he could see no one but her. 

As if the loud cries of children playing had been muted, he could hear nothing but her melodious humming. 

With every step he took, with every inch between them that dwindled, the beating of his heart grew louder, faster and stronger. 

Counting four more strides to finally be by her side, he breathed in her intoxicating scent of roses on a summer day.

 

As if on cue, she turned to face him. 

Like a young boy caught stealing glances at his first love, he froze.  Her eyes sparkled, hypnotizing him. 

They slowly formed perfect crescents as her luscious pink lips curved into the sweetest smile he had ever seen. 

Her cheeks flushed a beautiful crimson color that made his heart flutter a million miles an hour. 

If this angel was to be the death of him, he swore he would be contented. 

He closed his eyes to savor the view, only to open them again to an unimaginable reverse. 

There she was, the angel of his dreams, beaming in the arms of another man. 

It struck him like lightning on a bright sunny day. 

The man she had been waiting for wasn’t him. 

The reason for her sweet smile wasn’t him. 

The one who made her cheeks blush wasn’t him. 

She was in love, but it wasn’t with him. 

He felt a tightening in his throat, a knot in his stomach.  His vision started to blur. 

Then everything turned black.

 

* * * * * * * *

 

            “oppa.. oppa..” a familiar voice woke him from his reverie. 

Jiyong opened his eyes and sat up.  Still a bit dazed, he looked around trying to figure out where he was. 

The sun was setting, its orange beams reflected on the calm river in front of them. 

Couples were walking hand in hand as they started to leave the park. 

 

            “its amazing, isn’t it oppa..” the girl beside him uttered letting out a sigh of amazement. 

He turned to her, capturing every detail of her beauty. 

 

            “perfect.  Absolutely perfect.” 

He smiled and took her delicate hand in his, entwining their fingers as he gazed back at the horizon. 

 

            “promise me you’ll never leave me.”

 

            “aigoo.. what are you talking about oppa?” the girl turned to him, rather taken aback by his words.

 

            “just promise me.” He said, now staring deeply into her eyes. 

Seeing his sincerity, her expression softened and her lips formed into a gentle smile. 

She caressed his face with her free hand and nodded.

 

            “I promise..”

 

The sun had fully disappeared by then, leaving the air undesirably chilly. 

But all he could feel was the warmth and sweetness of the lips of his love as he sealed their promise with a tender kiss.