Chapter the Third

Talk Nerdy to Me
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

A/N: I decided to use my own high school, Emma Willard School, as inspiration for Seoul Star Academy campus. I know you probably aren’t going to find too many places like this in SK, but just roll with it lol. I’ll get around to make a Pinterest mood board at some point.

Hayoung was unpacking the final box of her belongings when there was a knock at her door. She hustled to the door, opening it to an unfamiliar face.

“Oh, um, hello,” she greeted, bowing slightly. “May I help you?”

Stood in front of her was a guy who looked around her age. He had fluffy brown hair, a sweet smile, and big eyes. She vaguely remembered bumping into him earlier but couldn’t remember his name.

“Junghwa sent me to get you,” he said quietly, rubbing the back of his neck sheepishly. “She got caught up with some work for the admissions office but didn’t want you to go to dinner by yourself.”

Well that was awfully nice of her new friend.

Hayoung gave him a smile and allowed him to step inside the small entrance way.

“Okay, I’ll just grab my ID card if you don’t mind waiting a moment.” She didn’t wait for a reply and instead darted over to her desk and grabbed the plastic card along with a small wristlet with her phone and a teeny notepad and pen inside.

“I’m sorry if this is rude, but I forgot your name,” she confessed as they left the room. “I’m Hayoung.”

“Do Kyungsoo,” he introduced. “I’m friends with Junghwa and her cousin Kai.”

Right. She remembered now, running into Kai and subsequently his group of boisterous friends shortly after. They all seemed really nice, and Hayoung was grateful for how smoothly the ‘making friends’ part of moving to a new school was going.

“Will we be eating with the others?” she asked, suddenly realizing it would be a little awkward to eat alone with him since they had only just met.

Kyungsoo nodded. “They should already be down there and Junghwa should be there soon once she wraps up her work.”

They lapsed into a comfortable silence and Hayoung used the time to observe the route they took to the dining hall. Now was as good a time as any to start familiarizing herself with the layout. She had left her map back in her room, but if she relied on that too much she would never learn.

She admired the beauty of the campus before arriving, but up close it really was something else. Perfectly manicured lawns and gleaning windows and grandiose stone statues made Hayoung feel as if she’d stepped into a novel, impressed as she was with her surroundings. It helped that the foliage was starting to turn, the beautiful reds, yellows, and oranges of the leaves perfectly accenting the regal feeling of the campus buildings.

“We’re here.”

Her admiration of her settings was interrupted by Kyungsoo, who held the door to the dining hall open to her. She tapped her ID card on the scanner as she followed him inside, thanking him in turn. She followed him through the foyer, the sounds of clinking dishware and laughter and lively conversation growing louder as they approached the main room.

Kyungsoo lead her to the table where they would eat, first. Just as he said, there were the five other guys she’d met that day, already engaged in what seemed to be a heated conversation about a video game.

“Hayoung!” Chanyeol, as he hastily reintroduced himself, patted the empty chair next to him. “We saved you a seat.”

Hayoung felt the tips of her ears grow warm. How remarkably familiar these guys were, for only having met her once.

“Thank you, but food first,” she said, turning towards the line she could see forming in front of a buffet style line of dishes. She hustled away before they could say anything further.

Kai looked after her with interest. She seemed so shy at first glance, but he could tell she put in effort to speak up. He figured that was the effect of being the little sister of such a famous actress.

“Jesus Kai, stare any harder and she’s gonna get a hole in her back,” Sehun teased, nudging his friend in the ribs.

Kai rolled his eyes and stabbed into a tomato on his plate. “I wasn’t staring,” he protested. “I was thinking.”

“Yeah, I find that hard to believe,” Junghwa said as she approached the table. She plopped into a chair between Suho and Sehun and picked at the sandwich she grabbed on her way in. “I hate filing paperwork

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter