Chapter the First

Talk Nerdy to Me
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Moon Hayoung tucked an errant strand of hair behind her ear and sighed. Her knuckles were white from gripping her suitcase, and there was a slight hiccup to her breathing. She blinked slowly at the building in front of her, willing her heart to stop beating so fast. She had nothing to worry about, or at least that's what she told herself.

"You got this," she mumbled to herself. "No worries, you're good. Just one year and you can go to whatever university you want. Just one year." She took a deep breath and took a tenative step forward. Slowly she made her way into the building, keeping her eyes trained straight ahead until she found the door marked as the admissions office.

When she opened the door, she was greeted by a puff of peach scented air, and the sight of a young secretary happily clicking away at a computer. Hayoung approached the desk quietly, as it seemed the woman hadn't noticed her yet, and she didn't want to startle her.

"E-excuse me," Hayoung said, her voice cracking. She cleared it softly and tried again. "Excuse me? I was told to come here when I arrived on campus." The young woman turned to her with a smile.

"Moon Hayoung, correct? Please, take a seat on the chairs to your right and the dean will be out with you momentarily." She turned back to the computer wordlessly, the smile still plastered on her face.

"Weird," Hayoung thought and took a seat, her focus instantly going to play with the keychain attached to her suitcase handle. In one way, she was glad for not having to awkwardly converse with the robot-like secertary; she was already nervous enough.

"Moon Hayoung? You may come in now."

Hayoung jumped at the sudden call of her name and stood quickly, almost knocking over her suitcase in the process. The woman who had called her name chuckled quietly and held the door open for Hayoung as she passed through. She gave off an aura of complete calm and collectedness, and there was no way to mistake her for anything other than the Dean of Seoul Star Academy.

"First and foremost," the Dean began from her seat behind the large maplewood desk. "I would like to extend a gracious welcome to you on behalf of Seoul Star Academy. The staff has been eagerly anticipating your arrival, and we would like to make your academic career with us the best possible experience."

"Thank you, ma'am," Hayoung said politely, bowing in respect. "I am looking forward to creating many friends and good experiences here." The words she rehearsed had come out with some difficulty, but when the woman gave her a smile, Hayoung knew she had done good enough.

"Please, call me Dean Kim. No need to be so formal." The dean picked up a file on her desk and flipped it open, scanning the page quickly before looking up at Hayoung. "You look nervous, dear. I promise you; I'm not as scary as I look." At this, Hayoung managed a small smile.

"This is a lot to get used to," Hayoung said honestly. "My sister is more suited to this kind of environment."

"Ah, yes, Dayoung," the dean responded. "Your sister did very well here. How is she doing these days? Her latest movie was quite the hit." Hayoung nodded.

"She's overseas with my parents right now. That's why I'm here," Hayoung told her. "They're moving there permanently in a few months." The dean watched the girl carefully as she spoke, noting how Hayoung seemed to grow distant at the mention of her family.

"I see," Dean Kim mused. "Well, I can assure you that you will be accommodated quite nicely here, and we will make every effort to ensure that comfort. I see in your file that you enrolled in our performance arts department; is that correct?"

"Yes, with a music specialty," Hayoung replied, brightening a little. "I like to compose music."

"Yes, of course my dear," the dean agreed. "Your portfolio was very impressive for someone your age. I was curious about the fact that you have never performed any of your compositions. Is there a reason for that?" Hayoung smiled sheepishly.

"I prefer to remain behind the scenes, ma'- I mean, Dean Kim," Hayoung explained.

"Very well; I'm sure you'll discover and expand upon your talents during your time here." The older woman smiled and handed Hayoung a small book and a folder with a packet of paper inside. "That is our student handbook. Inside you'll find our motto, policies and code of conduct. You would do well to review it and familiarize yourself with its contents. The folder contains your schedule, your room and locker assignment, a map of campus and the nearby nei

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter