Ch.7

INDEPENDENT

Today I came early to school like usual and sat at my assigned seat as usual. Nothing out of the ordinary happened, This is how it always was before Seuncheol joined our class. Seeing as how we got another 15 minutes before class starts I pull out my reading book to entertain myself with the 21st chapter of The book of horrors. It was going very well until I heard a familiar voice that sounded like Seuncheol and I thought that he had finally come back after the last time that I visited him in the hospital but when I raise my head from my book and peek around the classroom it was just some other guy with a similar voice. ' Even if it was Seungcheol why the hell would I care if he came to school or not?' I say in my head so that I could go and read what happens next to the main character in the book. ' Because you are the reason he got hurt.' My voice comes back this time to argue against me. " It's not my fault he got hurt.. He could have left me there..." I mumble to myself unable to focus on my book. ' But you could have died! Why can't you be more grateful? He is your hero! Worship him!' My mind continues to argue against me and I did not want to phase the truth. " That's enough." I mumble again to myself trying to get these unnecessary thoughts out of my head. 

" Who are you talking to?" A voice right besides me startles me and forces me to flinch in terror. I then look at the person sitting besides me. " Seungcheol.." I mumble his name looking at his smiling figure looking like sunshine, and I start to wonder if i've gone delusional. 

" The one and only!" He smiles and did the unexpected. He patted my head softly and gently. I never let people touch me like this at all! But it kinda felt good to be touched so gently and cared for, that I just let him pet my hair. Little did I know that I unconsciously moved my head closer to him allowing him to continue to touch me, like a cat that wants to be petted. It was only when Seungcheol started to rub at my head that I noticed what I have allowed him to do and I abruptly moved my head back. 

" Stop." I said now upset that he dared to do that to me. 

" Aww why are you so cute huh?" He smiles again and pinches my cheeks. 

" Stop I said!" I smack his hand away and glare angrily at him but I can feel my cheeks getting hot. ' What is this weird feeling?' I thought as I reached up my hand to cover both of my cheeks. Seungcheol laughs and it felt so different from the rest of the people that I encountered. It was so pleasant and cozy and it made me feel warm all over! I enjoy this feeling of warmth. I felt like a warm blanket was placed around my shoulders so that I don't have to suffer in the cold rain anymore. His laughter and presence was also different because he was not mocking me like everyone does. Or at least that's how it feels. 

" I wonder what you look like with whiskers and cat ears." He said in between his laughter and I continued to stare at his mere existence. How can this person be so simple minded yet be able to make me feel warmth? ' Why are you different?' I wanted to ask him but the words simply just dared not to leave my mouth. " Don't stare at me like that~" He coos pinching my cheek again but softly. " Can you smile at least once? For me?" He asks his laughter fading with a smile still present. His eyes gleam at me and I remain speechless with my usual poker face. 

" No." I bluntly replied and he goes to another phase of laughter. 

" Okay Jihoonnie~" He caresses my head again forcing me to move his hand way from me again. 

" Don't act so close with me okay?" I say not knowing how else to speak with him. And I wasn't wrong, He was calling me Jihoonnie and everything like if we'd known each other for a long time. I see him pout a little and it made me feel a bit upset as well. 

" I-it's not l-like we declared being friends y-yet." I stutter feeling my cheeks warm again and from the corner of my eyes I can see Seungcheol secretly smiling again. Why does this guy smile so much! The teacher finally comes to the classroom and orders everyone to sit at their assigned seat. When Seungcheol stand up and leave my side I felt like he took his warm Blanket with him and I was left astray like a cat to freeze in the dark. I wanted that warm feeling back now. I was confused...Why is this happening and why do I feel this way now? I never felt like this before and i don't know i can get used to it. My usual seat partner came and I felt even worse because I know that we don't like each other. He hated me and I hated him, No other way to describe it. with Seungcheol gone I felt like if I was never used to being lonely. The music teacher taught a lesson about creating musical notes, now that we have already learned all the notes. He even showed us a video. Class was about to end and lunch was the next period but before we could leave our teacher said he will announce some news. 

" Today you guys are leave early, right after lunch because we have parents from other schools that will see this building and declare if they want their child to attend this school or not." The teacher spoke and I can already hear the soft whispers of excitement. " Also I will be adding a project for you all." The teacher began and my peers are already whining. " You students will be having the roles of instructing a musical piece with the partner of your own choosing. Be warned that if you do not complete this project within a week or if you choose a partner that will distract you from your work, you will lose 50% of your grade. Am I clear?" The teacher said and everyone replied with a 'yes'. 

" Choose your partner now and when you are done you can leave to lunch." The teacher ordered and everyone stood up to look for their friends. I always hated group or partnered works because I like to do my work alone without having to have someone besides me. I can work in piece and i don't have to talk to anybody. I sat in my seat not moving an inch and waited. I wasn't waiting for someone to pick me, That never happens. I was waiting for everyone to be taken and that way I can work by myself, hopefully. A hand was offered in front of me and I look up to see Seungcheol. Surprisingly I did not get disturbed by the presence of another human being and I didn't know how to feel about that. 

" Want to be partners?" Seungcheol smiles at me and I remain with my poker face debating in my head. I want to work alone but at least Seungcheol isn't like every one that I dislike. " Come on, No debating now. Please self destruct that wall that you have and let me in." Seungcheol suddenly said. I didn't know what he meant by that but I nodded my head anyway, gulping when he smiled in return. " Great now we are partners!" He almost cheered and grabbed me by the hand making me stand up. His hand felt so snugly against my own as he held tightly. 

" Let's go to lunch." He says but before I can decline he pulls me with him and we pass everyone in the hallways. We get in line to grab our trays and we pick a seat at the end of the cafeteria where it kinda looks secluded. 

" Let's work on it tomorrow. Where do you want meet?" He asked me and I was confused at first. " For our project." He reassured and I nodded my head. 

" Should we go to your house?" He asked and I shake my head 'no'.

" I prefer your house if you don't mind." I respond almost finishing up my food. 

" No I don't mind at all! You can come at 1 pm. can you make it?" 

I nod my head.

" Great it's settled. Give me your phone number?" 

" W-why?" I hesitate. 

" To call you and give you the address silly." He says smiling and I blush in embarrassment before giving him my phone number. 

" Okay. We are good to go for tomorrow....Oh! I forgot to ask. Do you like sweets?" He asked all of a sudden and I didn't know what to answer or rather I prefer to know the reason for why he's asking this before actually answering the question. But nonetheless I nod my head again and he smiles at me. Again. 

" Seungcheol!" I hear a voice behind me and the same guy with long hair from the hospital back hugs Seungcheol as they say hi to each other. I felt de pleased for some odd reason. Again they cooed at each other and I was questioning the reason for why I was still sitting here. The long haired guy gives Seungcheol a peck on the cheek and now I definitely felt disturbed so I picked up my tray and throw it away leaving again unnoticed

<><><><>xX Jeonghan /version\ 

I come to the cafeteria, excited to see Seungcheol before school ends early. I wanted to visit his house today to hang out again. I spot him sitting at the back table and I run after him to surprise him. When I back hug him I noticed that he wasn't alone. ' It's that kid again!' I thought to myself as I coo Seungcheol with my embrace. Ever since he helped that kid at lunch one time I keep seeing him with him and it bothers me a lot! I worry that their relationship might build itself to be strong. So in order to make him jealous like last time in the hospital I give an unexpected peck to Seungcheol. Like I predicted, the kid stood up to leave. I smirked at my victory. 

" Oh my god what was that for?" Seungcheol chuckles and let's me sit next to him.

" Sorry about that....it's kinda like a habit to do that." I lied, combing my hair with my fingers. " Anyway I was thinking maybe we can grab a cup of ice cream today after school?" I asked hopeful that he would say yes. 

" Sure we can bring Jihoonnie along, right Jih-" Seungcheol stops his sentence realizing that the small guy just left. " where did he go?" 

" Who?" 

" J-Jihoon...he was just here." 

" I didn't see nobody." I lied. Seungcheol stayed quiet before laughing. " Aigoo~ He's such a sneaky cat. Anyway let's go on and grab a bite." He says and we stand up to leave.