Part VII

Into Gold (HIATUS)

"It really was unnecessary for you to come all the way out here."

There was a smile on Chen’s face, but Lay had been around people disgusted by him enough to know that it was false. 

“I just wanted to make sure everything arrived safely. These weren't hard to make, but they were time consuming. I would have hated for something to happen and a lot if not all of them to be destroyed.”

“I can assure you,” Chen said, his face tightening, “We sent professionals to transport the potions.”

“I don't doubt that. However, there are a lot of people still scared of anything related to magic. People Can sometimes be less apt to take care of things they're transporting if they're scared of it.

“There was a time, once, when people were transporting a cart of potions meant to help make the ground more fertile for farming. The people transporting the potions were, of course, scared of magic and so when the cart hit a bump in the road and tipped, they were too scared to try and save the cargo. Fifty bottles of fertilizing potions, wasted, and all because the people were too scared to stop the cart from tipping.”

Chen didn't respond to this immediately. Instead he frowned at Lay before turning his attention to the workers who were  unloading the potions from the carts and carrying them into the castle. Lay took the chance to check on Baekhyun, who had been sulking since he found out they would be accompanying the potions while they were being transported. He complained endlessly about how the whole ruse was unnecessary and just a waste of time. Lay hadn't bothered to argue back, knowing Baekhyun understood that it actually was important, he was just very bitter about going on the journey when the potions were technically already in the Zhang province to begin with.

Lay’s castle was a bit atypically in it’s location, because it didn't have just one location. Lay’s father, who had also been a wizard, explained it as existing outside of the human real, at least that's what he guessed, anyways. The castle only had two exists; one that exited from a castle to the area by the village, the one Lay typically uses, the other exiting out from another castle in the Zhang province.

As far as Lay knew, he and Baekhyun were the only ones who knew about this, and he intended to keep it that way. 

This was, however, the basis for Bakehyun’s bitterness. The final destination for the potions was the Zhang province, but to keep the door a secret, the potions had to be transported from the village, to the Capitol, then to the Zhang province. A journey of about two and a half weeks.

Lay found Baekhyun by the entrance to the castle where the king and his entourage were making their way in. Baekhyun had been born in the country and had rarely visited the city while he was growing up, so displays of grandeur would catch his interest. Lay had seen his fair share, though, and could tell these people were tired from traveling so much and probably wouldn't appreciate being gawked at. He was about to try and distract Baekhyun when something caught his eye, and he hesitated.

Luhan, a good friend he hadn't been able to see for a while, was rushing towards him across the courtyard. He was in much better form than most of the rest of the returning party, thanks to his training, and was able to weave through the crowd quickly.

“Lay!”

“Luhan!”

They hugged for a moment when Luhan reached them before pulling away, the both of them all smiles. 

“Baekhyun, this is my friend, Luhan. We've known each other since we were young. Luhan, this is Baekhyun, my friend and apprentice.”

Baekhyun only smiled and reached out to shake hands, masking how starstruck he was at meeting a member of the royal guard. Luhan shook his hand good-naturedly before turning back to Lay.

“How have you been?”

“Good,” Lay answered. “Business has been good. We’re actually delivering a large shipment for the king.”

Lay noticed a sudden strain in Luhan’s features at that, but it only lasted for a moment. Luhan knew how Lay did business, and though they were friends and Luhan trusted Lay, he was a member of the royal guard first. The idea of the crown owing a favor to anyone probably didn't sit well with him, especially one as powerful as Lay.

“What about you? Your mom still asking for a daughter-in-law?”

“Unfortunately she's transitioned from asking to demanding over the past couple of months.”

“Found anyone you like?”

Luhan glanced over at the front gate where the last few stragglers were making their way inside.

“No, not really.”

Lay looked at the group as well and noticed the group of people Luhan was looking at was a group of maids. Lay wondered if this was because one of the maids was a girl Luhan liked, but for some reason couldn't get serious with. Luhan had never had problems winning over the women he liked, in fact he had a habit of winning over a lot of women he didn't like as well, though he had always claimed it was accidental. Luhan’s family wasn't snobbish, either. In fact, Lay was fairly certain one of his aunts was a maid for some wealthy entrepreneur. Lay could only the girl’s heart belonged to someone else or Luhan had finally met his match.

“Hey,” Baekhyun said, pointing at a girl standing near the group. “Who’s she?”

And that's when he saw her.

~

Tae only managed to stay vertical for a couple of minutes after making it inside the court yard before she had to sit down. She was tired and had no idea what she was supposed to be doing or who she was supposed to ask about it. 

She tried to stay near the maids without getting too close. They still didn't attempt any friendliness with her, but they had come to accept her presence and were occasionally nice, especially since she had almost been kidnapped. It seemed the fact that she hadn't used magic to save herself cemented for them the idea that Tae wasn't really a witch, so they weren't scared of her anymore. Of course, that meant that she was a liar. Instead of treating her like Luhan had, though, they seemed to pity her. Tae could only hope it was because they figured she had a good reason for what she was doing. She was scared to think of what else it could mean.

“Are you Tae Noh?” 

Tae looked up, having been staring quite intently at a frayed strand from her dress she had been playing with. Tae’s back stiffened immediately at the sight of the woman in front of her. The woman looked to be a few years older than Tae, and somehow managed to balance looking both elegant and fierce. There was a regal mess about her dress and the way she held herself, but the focused look she was giving Tae as she examined her made Tae feel like the woman could beat into a pile of mush without breaking a sweat.

Tae stood up and dusted herself off before answering, hoping that if they were the same height than it would take away from the intimidation factor. Unfortunately, they Tae was al last as tall as the woman, and standing up did help, it really didn't help by much.

“Yes, I'm Tae.”

“Good. My name is Chaerin, I am the head ladies’ maid and I've been assigned to take care of you while you're here. The king has instructed that you are to wash and rest before dinner tonight, which will be a private engagement between his majesty and you.” Private engagement, Tae thought, only finally realizing that now that she had arrived at the castle, there really wasn't anything holding them back from making her perform her magic. There was an explosion of nerves in her stomach at this thought, especially since she had not come up with a way out of this that would save both her and her father. “Now, from my understanding and from what I can see, you've had quite the trip, and we’re going to need all the time we can get before dinner tonight. Follow me.”

Chaerin turned and headed off towards the castle with Tae following close behind, knowing there wasn't really another option. As they were heading into the castle, Tae caught sight of Luhan who was standing with a couple of other guys. The look in his eyes clearly showed that he still didn't think very favorably of her anymore, however the look was softened now. A lot of people, not just the other maids she had traveled with, seemed to have developed some sympathy for her after the kidnapping incident. Even though it had been scary, and painful, and she definitely didn't want it happening to her again any time soon, or ever, really, Tae was thankful that it had happened and had spurred on the new way people looked at her.

She gave Luhan a tentative smile, hoping that would maybe help smooth things out between them even more, now acutely aware of how much she's going to be needing a friend, or even an ally in the castle as she was fast approaching an evening that would probably be ending with her being sentenced to death. Instead of returning the smile, though, he just looked away. 

Not surprised, but still dejected from the rejection, Tae turned her face and eyes towards the ground. 

~

The castle was a shock to Tae. All the decorations were intricately and skillfully made, and none of them were flamboyant, obnoxious, or superfluous. It was an elegant, beautiful place. Quite the place to receive a death sentence in. 

Not that she received one, not yet, anyway. As she followed Chaerin through the Great Hall, down the not-as-great halls, and the regular halls before finally being lead into the bathing rooms, she couldn't come up with anything. As she washed herself, a feat accomplished only after she basically threw a tantrum when the other women attendants tried to help, she finally had started seriously considering the idea of escape. 

She had, of course, had the thought to escape, however, after she was nearly kidnapped and saw how fast the Kings guard came for her and actually saw first hand how well trained they were, she filed the thought under “bad ideas that would be a waste of time to actually consider because they'd only make it more likely for you to wind up dead.” At this point, though, she didn't have the luxury of any better ideas. 

Still, she figured escaping from the castle may be easier than running away from the entourage. If she had tried to escape then, she would probably have left a very obvious trail that could have easily been followed, plus, she was a human amid an area where all the other humans were part of the entourage. All this combined with her terrible survivalist skills, meant she would be easy to track and stick out like a sore thumb. If she escaped into the city, she could disappear into it more easily, become a needle in a hay stack. She could survive much better in a society. Besides, a castle would probably be easier to escape from. There were always all those stories about young princes or princesses escaping, and castle are usually designed to keep intruders out, not residents in. It might not be easy, but she assumed she’d have a better chance than she would have before.

That being said, Tae knew that sneaking away without Chaerin or one of the other attendants noticing was going to be difficult, especially since she didn't know the layout of the castle or any of the rooms she was going to be in. Neither did she know how often she would actually be left alone to try. Though she was currently alone in the bathroom, the room was windowless and had only one door. Right outside that door was Chaerin and a couple other attendants waiting on her, and who knows what was going to happen after that.

She stayed in the bathroom longer than she really needed to, hoping that a of inspiration would come over her, but she could come up with nothing. Realizing that Chaerin and the other ladie’s maids would probably be getting suspicious if she stayed there for too much longer, Tae covered herself in the bathing robe left for her and left the bathroom. She came back out to a bedroom that was far more lush and elegant than her bedroom back home.

“You took so long in the bathroom we’re going to have to get straight to it,” Chaerin said as she handed Tae a set of undergarments. “Put these on quickly.”

Tae did as instructed, turning away from embarrassment. She had barely finished when she was being whisked into her nicest dress she had brought with her for the journey, then forced to sit as they began doing Tae’s hair for her. The rapidity of everything left Tae too slow to say anything about it, and by the time her brain caught up, Chaerin was speaking to her again.

“When you enter his quarters the king will be standing, and you are to remain standing as well. The king will sit first and then gesture like this to let you know when it is time for you to sit. When you are eating with the king, you do not eat anything before he does. If he eats an apple slice, it is acceptable to eat an apple slice. If all he eats are apple slices, then all you will eat are apple slices. You will rise when the king rises. You will leave only when you are dismissed. You-”

“What-” Tae began to cut off Chaerin, but was so confused she hadn’t been able to formulate an actual question yet. “What are you…”

“What? What is it?” Chaerin asked not unkindly, but with evident impatience.

“Why are you telling me all of that?”

“I told you earlier; you’re having dinner with the king tonight, just the two of you.”

“But-” her words stumbled before they found their footing again. “But why?”

“If I had access to that kind of information I’d be a council member, not a lady’s maid. Now, listen up and listen well. You can’t make any mistakes tonight.”