Chapter 2

Politics
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“Good afternoon everyone, I’m Bogum. Park Bogum.” Bogum repeated casually, introducing himself to all the new campaign officers and the rest of the RV team; all of whom settled into their seats and quieted down the moment he, along with Joohyun and Joongki, entered the room. Joohyun was seated with the rest of the seniors. “I’ll be your senior general this year. I hope we can all get along and help our future candidates towards their much deserved victory, hmm?” A chorus of freshmen “yes” ‘s echoed around the basement, Joongki chuckling next to General Bogum. Joohyun did too. “Speaking of candidates, Bae Joohyun here, as I’m sure you’ve all heard, is running as our next university president therefore she’ll be my partner in most of our party’s preparations. Joohyun-ssi?”

Joohyun stood up, putting on her best smile just like the candidate that she was and has been training to be for years now. “Hi everyone, I’m Joohyun. Nice to meet all of you.” A loud applause thundered and shocked the whole basement yet again. Several hoots from a group of boys at the back appeared as well. Bogum discreetly pursed his lips, momentarily eyeing them and Joohyun who was shyly sitting down again from afar. The boys seemed to have noticed.

Joongki was patiently next to his brother, leaning on the board behind him. “Ehem.” He coughed attempting to get Bogum’s attention, who was still busy staring at the hooting children. “Bogum.” He whispered, but still got no response. “And everyone, I’m Joongki.” Bogum’s head jerked towards his hyung, startled. Now, the hooting boys were replaced by girls with eyes replaced by twinkling hearts. Shamelessly, including Ms. Presidential-Candidate-Bae herself. “I’ll be your RP. And yes, I am also Bogum’s brother. And yes, he is adopted.” Bogum opened his mouth at the subtle comment of him being the less attractive one, almost cursing his brother in front of his juniors, but was distracted by the laughter erupting around him. Joohyun’s seemed to be the loudest even if she was covering . “And yes, I may be funny now, and Bogum may seem brittle,” Bogum glared so hard it was a surprise Joongki wasn’t cut in half yet. “But I take the university student government as no joke. As a candidate myself a number of years ago, I know the exact process you’re about to go through. Previous members, especially you seniors, should know that the entire elections including the campaigns are no laughing matter.” The whole basement silenced down, all the freshmen listening intently. “So, if you entered this party just to add it on your resume, or so you can wear black and red when campaigns start, then frankly we don’t need you here.”

Everyone sensed the switch of emotions, knowing it was time to get serious now. “So General Bogum here, will go through the whole process with you now before the rest of the agenda. Afterwards, we’ll have a few quick introductions. Please listen intently. And if you have any questions, please don’t hesitate to ask.” He concluded with a sincere smile, stepping off the platform and leaving the rest to his brother.

As Joongki said, Bogum elaborated on the whole complicated pre, during and post campaign processes, his handwriting all over the white board behind him at that point. The freshmen were listening attentively, seemingly very interested in the topics being laid out before them. The juniors were too, excited to once again dive into the thrill of campaign season. “So, that’s basically it. Very long, and it seems intimidating but,” Bogum finished, returning the cap of the marker he was using. “Always remember that you are and never will be any less value than our candidates. So more than anything, especially if we get our desired straight RV student government, I promise it will fully feel like it was your victory as well.” Joohyun smiled at the idea, Bogum returning the expression. Joongki signaled over to Bogum from the back of the room that there were no drinks left anymore. “Alright, well, I’ll just go fill up your refreshments for a moment before we continue on with the rules and procedures—“

Joohyun stood up from her seat. “I’ll be the one.” She offered, pushing back her chair before heading to the table of food by the stairs. “You should stay, the quicker we finish with orientation, the better.” Bogum mouthed a thank you before Joohyun tucked the two pitchers under her arms and went up the staircase back to the kitchen.

She filled up the two pitchers with the remaining juice up to the rim, swiftly closing the door of the refrigerator with her right leg. But just as she was about to go back down the basement, she heard a few quiet knocks from the door outside; the person must have been too shy or blind to not use the doorbell. “Wai—wait, just a second,” She called out, struggling with the two large containers her fingers were tightly gripping. She turned around carefully, placing one of the two under her arm to be able to open the door.

A boy with a very confused look on his face appeared before Joohyun. The look on the boy’s face seemed to be transferring onto her face too. He was in a loose black shirt, faded jeans, his blonde bangs sweeping along his forehead

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter