Suprise with a Twist Ch.08

Merry-go-round Love (MARKxOC)

Okay today is the day I’ll definitely might die. Miyoung is finally coming back home and not only that, she’s bringing her fiancée with her to introduce to the whole fambam BUT WAIT THERE’S MORE. MARK FREAKING TUAN IS GOING TO BE WITH ME.

Why did I even agree to this? I should have just accepted my death from the very beginning when this all started back in our uni days.

I started to stare blankly at my work desk, I feel dead inside and the worst part hasn’t even started. I covered my face and buried myself in my desk.

“So…am I interrupting something that you might be going through?”

That soothing voice is none other than Park Jinyoung my direct boss actually in the Marketing Department. I perked up.

“N-no! you’re not interrupting something AT ALL.” I tried to make that sound as reassuring as possible but Park Jinyoung just stared at me with an unconvinced look on his gentle features.

“Gabby, you know you’re not fooling anyone with that very flustered face? I came by to personally hand this new project to you BUT I’m more concerned what’s bothering my favourite person in the team.”

Did he just refer me as “HIS” favourite person in the team. Did I hear right? Am I not only nearing death. I’m also starting to be deaf.

“It’s really nothing, really. It’s just some personal trivial matter.” I smiled weakly.

“Well whatever personal trivial matter that is, it’s making you all flustered for something “trivial”. I don’t want to pry anymore on this “trivial personal matter” but if you need someone to talk to my office is free for you anytime.” Jinyoung gave me a warm smile as he said those words as he handed me the papers for the new project.

“Um…yeah sure I will if you’re not too busy sir.” I reached for the papers and our fingers slightly touched.

“Stop with the “sir” please, just Jinyoung would be better and no buts.” He said with a playful stern look.

“Alright…Jinyoung.” I said softly chuckling.

“That’s better.” Jinyoung exited our office.

I gave out a sigh, if only I was from a good family too. I wouldn’t mind being an arrange marriage meeting with the Park Jinyoung. So gentle and kind and all that unlike someone I know.

Time passes fast and so are my last hours on earth. I checked the clock on the wall one last time. 5 minutes I’m off. In 5-10 minutes my phone will ring with a caller ID of death, that is Markiepooh. Such a cute name for death’s caller ID.

5 minutes passed. I’m off. I gathered my things and I’m just about to pick my bag up. I felt my phone vibrate in my hand.

“Can’t you at least give me 5 more minutes? Geez.” I watched my phone vibrate facing the screen the caller ID “Markiepooh”

I exhaled and finally answered the call.

“Well that took you awhile, were you planning on ditching me last minute??” Death sounds so annoying.

“I just got off you do know that right? Anyway will meet you at the entrance. See you.” I hanged up. I’m going to end my life today anyway. Why not?

As I exit out building there he is. In his car with his window’s down. He looks pissed. Oh joy. This is going to be one heck of a ride.

“Get in.” he opened the passenger side.

I got in silently and I guess he noticed. He started his engine and we were off. There was a 5 minute silence. I finally decided to break this, I can’t with silent awkward car rides.

“So…how are you feeliiiing?” I am so not ready for what’s going to happen this evening.

“I’m…I’m not sure actually.” Mark touched his right pocket in his coat.

No…don’t tell me he brought the damn promise ring.

“Why do you say so…” I can’t with this new development.

“Just…I just thought at least I should just hand this to her. I mean it’s hers anyway.” He patted his pocket again.

“I’m not really suuure if that’s a good idea---“

“Gabby, please. I’m just going to hand this over. I’m not expecting things to go the way I would want them to be.”

I feel really bad now, he couldn’t even get the courage to return or dispose of the ring all these years. FML.

“Alright…” I said almost like a whisper.

“Did something happen earlier in your office? Did those JJ did anything weird to you or---“ Mark is having overprotective brother voice on.

“Noooo…my gosh. Chill. I was just having thoughts…” you know thoughts on how you’ll feel later that I betrayed for the nth time and having your heartbroken for the nth time after all these years. All these courtesy of me. Gabriel Chang. (Seriously though why did my parents think Gabriel was a good name for a girl.)

“Well I hope you can share those thoughts with me like how you used to back in uni.” Mark smiled.

That smile that I haven’t seen for quite some time. Years actually. This feels like old times well for now.

“Maybe, when we’re back to being how we used to be back then. This Mark Tuan is a stranger for me for now. Who would have thought you were serious being a son of a big shot CEO in the states.”

I gestured over him.

“I told you countless times you know.” He tilted his head to my direction.

“No one would actually buy such information that easily you know.” I tilted my head back to his direction. Both of us laughed on how we seemed childish with those comments.

The car started slowing down.

“I guess we’re here. It’s this place right?” Mark peeked to the small café.

“Yeah.” Suddenly my phone vibrated and a message on the lockscreen appeared.

Message:

Mrs. Park

Gabby dear, Miyoung arrived earlier in the venue. It’s too bad you weren’t able to be with us surprising her but she’s waiting here for you with her fiancée. He is quite the gentleman I’d say. Anyway where are you dear?

After reading the message all over again, this time I opened it. I can’t even reply:

I’m already here, parking. With Mark…..

I’ll just have to press send but I can’t. So how did this become a surprise party for Mark instead…Fate is cruel.

“Hey, aren’t you getting out yet---“ Mark stopped midway and I followed his gaze.

He was staring at the café’s glass window and saw Miyoung with a man with his arms wrapped around her waist. I mean, no one can stay single for that long and it’s Miyoung. She’s a very beautiful young lady even before.

“Mark…are you okay?”

“Young..jae?”

“Young…who now?” I couldn’t but ask, Mark seemed familiar with the man beside Miyoung.

“Never mind, Gabby come on. It seems we’re late instead.” Mark grabbed me and more likely dragged me towards the entrance to the café.

I heard the entrance bell rang as we entered. Everyone inside turned their attention to us. The latecomers.

Another FYI we rented the whole café and all. So yeah everyone we know is inside from uni to our families. JUST GREAT.

“Mark? Wait Gabby you and Mark came together?? So things went well?” Miyoung brightened up asking.

Wait? What now? What “things went well?” what is this woman implying????

“Wait—I’m lost what?”

“You and Mark.”

“Me and Mark what?”

“You guys are together now? I knew you always liked him too you know.” Miyoung said teasingly. I saw a glimpse of this Youngjae and he looked confused af too.

“Yes actually we are.” I heard Mark said behind me putting his arm around me. I turned faster than a cheetah when he said those words.

I’m sure I didn’t take anything illegal, what the actual is happening right now?

“You two look good together really. No hard feelings?”

This woman in front of me is not the Miyoung I know. And when did I ever said that I liked Mark. I never did I mean he was a nice sunbae and all but that’s all there is to it. She wouldn’t just blurt things out like that… did those years in the states changed her somehow. What happened?

This is too much for me to take in and the evening just started.