Four

The Unwanted Husband ( Temporary on hiatus)

Junmyeon felt his stress fly out the window the moment Yifan ran a hand through his brown hair while humming a soft tune. Currently, they were in the living room; Junmyeon was laying down on the couch, using his husband's lap as a pillow.

He missed times like this where Yifan would watch his favorite dramas or television shows or he would read books to accompany his husband. Yifan’s pregnancy never stopped them from their romance. Yes, it may be a bit difficult since Yifan’s stomach was getting bigger, but Junmyeon still enjoyed it nonetheless because sometimes he was able to hear their daughter’s heartbeat or feel her moving.

Lately, they haven't spent nights like this together. The past few weeks Junmyeon was so busy with cases, the cases wouldn’t stop coming in and he sometimes he had to do overtime. This resulted in him coming home late, around one or two in the morning to be exact.

Junmyeon even apologized to Yifan for not being by his side especially now that the younger had reached his second trimester, but Yifan was a very understanding husband. Instead of complaining about him coming home late, Yifan encouraged him to focus on his work.

“Jun.”

Yifan’s soft, deep voice interrupted his thoughts.

“Yes, honey?”

“Can you buy chocolate for me tomorrow? I finished eating the last bar, but if you’re too busy tomorrow, I can go buy it by myself.”

“Of course I can, honey. I’m willing to do anything for you and our baby.”

Junmyeon took Yifan’s hand and kissed his fingers, He grinned when he spotted the small blush crawling on Yifan’s cheek. They had been together for quite a long time; boyfriends for three years and married for almost two years, yet his effect on Yifan never changed. Yifan would still blush over the small intimate gestures or the cheesy lines Junmyeon would whisper in his ear.

“You know, I kinda hope that our daughter will inherit your cuteness.”

“I’m not cute!” Yifan quickly denied that statement.

Yifan didn’t like it when Junmyeon calls him cute. Just simply because he loved collecting dolls and other cute things like baking, sewing and knitting didn’t meant he was cute!

“Do I need to name the things that you do to prove it?”

“Wh-”

Yifan was cut mid sentence by the sound of the door bell. Both of them looked at each other, wondering who would come to their house at this time. The clock showed 10:30PM.

The doorbell rang for the second time, Junmyeon let out a small groan before he buried his face in Yifan’s stomach.

“What are you doing? You should get up and go see who our it is.”

“Can't I just ignore it? I don’t want to get up.” A small whine escaped from Junmyeons lips before he wrapped his arms around the pregnant man’s waist.

Yifan hits his husband’s shoulder playfully, “Stop saying such ridiculous words. Get up and go greet our guest. My legs are starting to cramp up.”

Junmyeon sighed before rising from the couch, he could never win an argument with his husband. He headed towards the door, Whoever was standing on the other side better have a good excuse for disturbing his precious alone time with his husband. He opened the door and was shocked to see Luhan in a disheveled manner.

“Hyung, what happened? You’re mess.”

“Can we go inside first? I’ll tell you everything once I'm inside.”

“Okay, sure.”

Junmyeon stepped aside to let the young man in his house, Luhan took off his shoes before he walking into the living room. He didn’t wait for Junmyeon to lead the way, This wasn’t his first time coming to Junmyeon’s house.

Yifan’s eyes widened slightly after Luhan steps inside the living room with Junmyeon trailing behind him. Junmyeon quickly runs over to Yifan when he sees him getting up from the couch.

Yifan rolled his eyes at his husband’s action. For god sake, he was pregnant not disabled!

“Yifan, where are you going?”

“I’m going to prepare a drink for our guest, Lu-ge. It’s impolite if we don't serve our guest well.”

“But…”

Junmyeon stopped his talking and gulped when Yifan glared at him. He quickly dropped his arms. Yes, he was just that whipped.

Yifan huffed before he turned to face Luhan.

“Ge, what would you like to drink?”

“Do you have any beer?”

“I’m sorry, hyung. We haven't kept any beers or other alcoholic drinks after Yifan got pregnant.” Junmyeon explained.

Yifan rolled his eyes again, “Jun is being his paranoid self again. He thinks it will harm our baby just looking at the alcohol. That’s why he didn’t want to keep any alcohol in our fridge. Is coffee, tea or juice okay with you?”

“I understand. Then, can you make me a cup of tea?”

“Okay.”

Luhan watched as Yifan left for the kitchen a bit slower than usual because of his protruding stomach.  He didn’t realize that he had been staring for too long until Junmyeon highlighted it.

“Hyung, I know that my husband is a good-looking man, but can you stop staring at him?”

 

Oops…he thought before turning to face his best friend. Junmyeon has always been possessive of Yifan after they became a couple, Luhan could understand why. He would be the same if he had gotten himself a man who is handsome and tall as  a model.

“Sorry about that. It is just Yifan is glowing because of his pregnancy, that’s why I couldn’t stop staring at him.”

“Ahh…you’re right. He indeed is glowing, my husband is beautiful, isn’t he?” Junmyeon said with looks of adoration and love in his eyes.

Luhan smiled sadly upon seeing that, he was happy for the two men after what they had been through during their university days. Him on other hand, had finally found someone that he wanted to spend his lifetime with, but his parents were against his relationship simply because his partner wasn’t able to give him a child.

“You’re very lucky, Suho.”

Junmyeon frowned a little when he detected the disappointment underneath Luhan’s tone.

“Hyung, are you okay?”

Luhan was about to answer when Yifan came back from the kitchen holding a silver tray.

“Jun, you should have asked Lu-ge to sit down first before you started bombing him with questions. It is very…Ah!” Yifan suddenly yelped.

Junmyeon’s eyes widened, he quickly took the tray from his husband’s hands and set it down on the coffee table.

“Is there something wrong? See, I told you to sit down, but you don’t want to listen.” Junmyeon reprimanded his husband while praying that nothing bad was going to happen to their baby.

Yifan rolled his eyes at that. He grabbed Junmyeon’s hand and put it on his belly.

“You worry too much, our baby kicked me for first time. I was shocked because of that.” He quickly explained. Yifan couldn’t stop giggling when he saw the expression of disbelief on his husband’s face. Junmyeon felt the kick on with his hand on Yifan’s stomach.

“Our baby just kicked, honey.”

“Yes, she did.” Yifan said fondly as he caressed his belly.

Luhan, being the most unlikely witness of their lovey-dovey actions, pretended to clear his throat. The couple then turned their heads towards him.

“Is congratulations in order?”

Yifan’s cheek turned slightly pink while Junmyeon acted as it wasn’t such a big deal. They are married and soon-to-be parents after all so why should he feel embarrassed for having an intimate moment with his husband in front of his best friend?

“Please have a seat first, hyung. Then tell us what your reason for coming.”

Luhan sighed before he sat down on the couch while the couple took a seat on a opposite couch to him.

“Please take a sip of your tea, Ge.” Yifan requested. The pregnant man took the cup from the tray and placed it in front Luhan.

“Thanks, Yifan.” Luhan said with a light smile.

“You’re welcome.” Yifan returned the smile.

“Why are you here at this hour and looking like a mess?” Junmyeon asked.

“I was coming back from dinner with my parents.”

“Your parents have come down? Were they forcing you to break up with Minseok-hyung again?”

Junmyeon knew about Luhan’s parents forcing him to break off their relationship since they had become a couple five years ago. Luhan never told Minseok about this matter since he didn’t want Minseok to feel guilty, so he only had him to confide in.

Junmyeon wasn’t able to help much with Luhan’s problems since he was only a third party. The only thing he could do was listen to Luhan whenever his parents called him regarding his relationship.

“Yes, they did.  It’s always the same damn thing! That wasn’t even the worst thing! They dared to arrange my marriage with a male carrier without my knowledge or consent!” Luhan angrily yelled out as he slammed the coffee table with his hand.

“Hyung, I know you’re angry with your parents, but can you calm down? You’re going to break our coffee table. I just bought it, you know.”

Junmyeon yelped when Yifan elbowed his stomach.

“Be nice to our guest.”

“It’s okay, Yifan. Suho is right. I shouldn’t lose my cool like that. I was overwhelmed by my anger towards my parents, I forgot for a moment that I was in your house.” Luhan said as he ran his hand through his tuft of brown hair.

“It is shocking that your parents arranged your marriage with someone else.”

“I was having a hard time believing it too. I thought it was just an ordinary dinner. Turned out it was a dinner to discuss about my marriage with a male carrier.”

“Did you try discussing it with your parents afterwards?”

“I did, but my parents are so stubborn. Why can’t they accept that I’ve already found the love of my life? So what if Minseok is unable to give birth? We can always adopt or find a surrogate to help us have a child. But my father said no and he said that he wouldn’t change his mind no matter what.”

“Then what about the male carrier that they have chosen for you? Did you tell him that you already have a  boyfriend? Maybe he can understand it and reject this marriage.”

“No, I didn’t. I immediately ran out the room after my father announced it. I couldn’t bear to stay in that room any longer. Even if I tell him and he rejected it, there are still chances my parents would seek another one.”

The tall, pale skinned man then popped up into Luhan’s mind, He still recalled the expression on that young man’s face before he left the room. That young man had looked disappointed which he couldn’t understand why.

“I’m sorry, hyung. I don’t know how to help you. I don’t know your parents that well and I don’t think that they will listen to me.”

A small sigh then escaped from Luhan’s lips, “What would you do if you were in the same position, Suho? If your parents didn’t approve of Yifan and forced you to marry someone else?”

Junmyeon then grabbed his husband’s hand.

“I would fight for it. I can’t imagine my life without Yifan which is why I’m glad that my parents didn’t give me a hard time after I announced my relationship with Yifan.”

“Jun…” Yifan was so touched by his husband’s words, it made him speechless.

“Hyung, I think it’s about time you tell Minseok-hyung about your parents’ objection. Both of you should discuss what your next step is together since this will affect both of you after all.”

Luhan sighed again, “I suppose you’re right, I’ll find the right time to discuss this matter with him.”

 


Time flew so fast. Three days had passed, yet Luhan still hadn’t found the courage to tell Minseok about his parents and the arranged marriage. Not only that he didn’t want to make his boyfriend feel guilty, Luhan was also scared of what Minseok would do once he knew about the arranged marriage.

They had been together almost five years, thus he knew his boyfriend too well. There was a high chance that Minseok might break up with him just to satisfy his parents wishes. That’s how his boyfriend was, he was too kind for his own good.

“Han.”

Luhan snapped out from his thoughts, he had forgotten that he was currently in the living room, watching a movie with his lover.

“Yes?”

Minseok sighed. He grabbed the remote control and paused the movie.

“Is there something bothering you, Han? Lately you seem lost deep in your thoughts and keep losing focus.” Minseok stated as he stared at his boyfriend with genuine worry.

“I…” Luhan paused mid sentence as he contemplated whether to take this chance and tell his boyfriend everything.

Minseok saw his boyfriend’s hesitation, he held Luhan’s hand and squeezed it gently.

“You know that you can tell me anything, right?”

A small frustrated sigh escapes from Luhan’s lips. Looks like he can’t hide his arranged marriage from his boyfriend anymore.

“My parents came here three days ago.”

“Eh, why didn’t you tell me that your parents came? Why do you look disappointed by it? Shouldn’t you be happy about it?”

“There is something that I haven’t told you, Min.”

Minseok could feel his heart starting to beat wildly after he saw the serious expression on Luhan’s face.

“What it is?”

“I lied to you, Actually my parents never approved of our relationship.”

“W-What..So...all this time…”

Minseok was shaken by Luhan’s word, he should have guessed it earlier that Luhan’s parents were never fond of him. Everytime Luhan brought him to his house, Luhan’s parents would treated him coldly. He did voice it out to Luhan, but he believed the excuses given by his boyfriend regarding his parents.

“I’m sorry, Minseok. I don’t want you to get heartbroken because of this.”

“But...why? Am I not good enough?”

“You’re perfect to me. But it’s enough for my parents, they want grandchildren and continue to ask me to break up with you. However, I went against their wish which is why I asked to transfer here. I thought they’d have given it up, it never occurred to me that they would arrange my marriage with a male carrier...”

“T-They arranged your marriage??”

“You don’t have to worry about it, Minseok. I’m willing to abandon everything for you! Let's move abroad, I’m okay with any country that you like. We can start our new life there and I’ll cut off all the contact with my parents so they won’t disturb us ever again. What do you say?” Luhan stared at his boyfriend intensely, hoping that Minseok will agree with his plan.

Minseok pulled his hand away. “I’m sorry, Luhan. Let’s break up.”

Luhan stared at Minseok in disbelief, “B-break up? Don’t you love me anymore?”

“I do and I’ll always will.”

“Then why?”

Minseok can feel his heart shatter into hundreds of pieces when he hears how broken Luhan sounded.

“Trust me, Han. It breaks my heart to do this too. But, your parents are getting older and you’re their only son. It’ll break their hearts if we follow through with you’re planning and I won’t be able to live with all that guilt.”

“Min…”

Minseok put his finger on Luhan’s lips to stop him from talking, “I’m begging you. For my sake, please accept your parents arrangement and make them happy. Also, please take care of yourself and be happy, I can’t be there for you anymore.” He said as the tears started to gather inside his eyes.

“Minseok, please don’t do this to me! I can’t accept it! I love you…”

Luhan stopped his words halfway when Minseok pressed his lips against him.

Minseok then pulled away, “Please...make love to me one last time.”

Luhan grabbed the back of Minseok’s head and kissed him  like the world is going to end, pouring every emotion into that one kiss. That night, they forgot everything; Luhan’s parents, Luhan’s pending marriage and their breakup and spent their last day as lovers.