Him (Fallin’)

Serendipity
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

15 minutes had passed since I received Minhyuk’s reply to meet him at the Lobby. Almost habitually, I was once again online catching up on the world’s happenings while sitting at the lobby area couch. 

“Wipe that smile off your face.” I heard Minhyuk say before feeling him sink his weight onto the space beside me.

“I have been watching you stare at your mobile screen for the last 2 minutes, smiling like a Cheshire Cat and I do not recall reading any news on World News today to be that humourous or smile-worthy.

Without any inkling that I had a smile plastered on my face, but in good spirit, I turned towards MInhyuk to flash a more exaggerated “Joker” grin - one that displayed my pearly whites in full and I intentionally reduced my eyes to about the size of his, just to mess with him a little.

He reciprocated with an upturned left lip I-am-so-not-amused smirk before leaning back sufficiently to briefly shift his vision to carry out a pretentiously discreet peripheral confirmation that I was not actually texting some girl on my mobile before resting his back firmly against the seat back and folded his arms wordlessly. 

I took a look at him then put down my mobile to assume the same folded arms position to induce a reaction so that there is an avenue to lighten the mood. Only, that moment did not come. We both must have sat there looking into blank space for at least 2 minutes before I could hold the silence no more.

“Why are we sitting here?” I probed

Maintaining his nonchalance stance, Minhyuk replied dryly, “While we wait for Mr. Park to arrive, why don’t you share the dramatics processing in your mind that brought on the earlier Cheshire Cat face”.  

Completely ignoring the latter question whose answer I was not prepared to share and somewhat puzzled by what I just heard, the self-centred me chose to ask what I want to know, as always.

“And why do we have to wait for Mr. Park?”

Considering for a split second that Minhyuk may have defected and pledged his allegiance to the dark side, colluding with Mom to do God knows what. I pursued for an answer earnestly, “Are we expected somewhere that you are not telling me”? Clearly, that was the guilty side of me over-thinking.

Quick to catch on to my instant erected sceptical wall, he rolled his eyes then turned 45degree towards me and said sarcastically, “If you are so worried then you should not have so many tricks up your sleeves.”

Managing the best innocence look I could feign, I shrug my shoulders, ed my cuff and rolled up my shirt sleeves before waving my arms dramatically to show him the “nothing up my sleeves” show. But I could not help the I-cannot-help-myself, all guilty expression that surfaced after and earned myself another major eye-roll. For someone with such small eyes he surely has acrobatically trained eyeballs capable of giving Cirque Du Soleil a run for their money.

“Much credit to your complimentary three course steak dinner obviously apportioned for two complete with a fine bottle of Lafite Rothschild 1998 that arrived unexpectedly, we now need Mr Park to drive us home.  Yes, you may retract that “Great sceptical Fortress Wall of Yong” now and so that we are on the same page, I reserve my rights to inflict some suffering onto you after the stunt you pulled.”

“What? You ate and drank my peace offering to SeolHyun?” Pretending to be offended so as to camouflage the now exposed sneakiness, I deliberately leaned in close to the side of his neck and sniffed him like a police hound dog sniffing suspicious person for narcotics but in this case, sniffing for remote faint feminine scent, just to muck with him a little more especially knowing that it is one of Minhyuk vulnerable spot.

On reflex, Minhyuk jerked his head away in lighting speed before turning his face to me fully, making sure that his what-the-hell glowering expression in full display was not missed.

Pretending to be intimidated, I play acted and placed my both palm onto my chest, complete with an alarmed victimised look.

“Wine for two must have been sweet though.” I muttered fake envious under my breath, acting like I was innocently expressing my inner thoughts yet intentionally saying it sufficiently audible for my intended party in close range. 

However, the banter relay stopped before it could begin. Minhyuk evidently knowing me too well, disallowed himself to fall for any of my ploy.

The child in me always up for a challenge, refused to stand down and decided against every ounce of good judgement, went ahead with the shove rather than a push.

“A bottle shared between two is just two glasses each. You cannot be such a light weight.” I rubbed it in along with a shoulder bump.

MinHyuk took in an agitation easing deep breath and retorted, “You know what, for tonight, my body has decided that I am tipsy. It is after all a 1998 Lafite. Give it it’s justified weighty credit. Besides, I cannot risk to be slapped with a DUI and lose my driving license or car as one of us has to be able to drive since the other fellow's ill-tolerated promiscuous galivanting activities was discovered and got his car confiscated by his mom. Sound familiar or would you be needing a more detailed refresher?” The underlying annoyance in his reply betrayed his tauntingly composed assumed front. What a comeback hook and jab! Ouch… Burn Bruh burn.

I was busy trying to recollect the pieces in my head for a revival, when Minhyuk widened his eyes at me cheekily and followed up with a leading question to his punishing grand plan, all said wearing that evil grin on his face. “You know what that means with my Porsche 911 right?”

“What… What does it mean with your 911?” I widened my eyes ever so slightly in bewilderment, not exactly sure I was following where he was leading me.

Seemingly pleased that I fell right into his juvenile plan, he then continued, trying to sound innocently matter-of-factly, “It means that you gotta squeeze your nearly 1.8m frame into those back seats you refer endearingly to as puppy seats, Bruh.”

BOOM! The bomb has been released.

“NO” was the first word that came to mind and a much louder “NO” was I going to give MinHyuk the pleasure of seeing me defeated this easily. Never! Not in a million years!

“At least I am getting a ride home.” My lamest retort, backed with the most unruffled front I willed forth then, topped with a smile to convince while my mental gears set in motion for a better return. 

Feeling up to the challenge, I decided to play the reverse role and turned to play the victimised I-do-not-know-why-you-are-being-mean-here and went on to initiate this all investigative Question and Answer session.

“Was it the Lafite? It can’t be, am sure. I made sure to send SeolHyun something I have tasted and of a good year.” Pretending to look wide eyed befuddled, I persevered with what I started with and pretended to recount the possibility of what may have ruffled MinHyuk’s feathers.

“Hm, let’s see… was it because the three-course dinner was too little for two? Then again, it was intended for one. Perhaps a complete degustation course would be a better choice next time? More variety, more small servings, more to share even if you want some or a standard order for 2 would be better for puppy seat avoidance.” I feign posed him questions before answering them myself.

“SeolHyun seems like a big eater… I guess sharing may not work… Now what have I missed out.” I continued the rhetorical conversation only to build in a calculated pause before delivering the small blast, “I know! Is it because I ended your evening prematurely with my “I am ready to go” text?! Did it cause the unwilling end to your otherwise date night?! You could have told me to wait Bruh. I would understand.”

Minhyuk looked me straight in the eye, not the least amused by now.

For the grand finale, I play acted the reaction of a flabbergasted 5 years old who caught his friend doing something that is a “Big No No”, complete with raised roof high eyebrows, widened eyes and exaggeratedly mouthing a soundless “Oh no” before covering my mouth while he returned my over the top performance with the I-am-not-idiotic-enough-to-fall-for-your-bull expression.

“Ah… I totally get the prerequisite for deserving the puppy seat now.” I said it like as if new found epiphany just washed over me while I shifted in my seat and moved to purposely accidentally bump my shoulder with his before uttering a mock heartfelt “Sorry Bruh”. All while putting on a remorseful look complete with puppy eyes on full shameless display.  

“Drop that bad beginner’s act already. Your many badly a

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter