Disappointment, Maybe Not

Real 'Man'
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Amber's POV

"Let's start with you, Cadet Kim. Why do you want to join the military?" The officer asked Ji Young unnie while flipping through her resume.

"It says here that you are married. My point is, you have a family that you need to take care of. You have your son and he is 8. Why did you make a decision to join this academy?"

So, Ji Young unnie has a son. Well, it's obviously not a surprise.

Upon hearing the question, she became tensed and had frozen herself at her seat. We all had our eyes on her. It's clear that she was nervous. However, she managed to compose herself by taking a deep breath. She sat straight on her seat, looking at that particular officer staright in his eyes.

Looks like she's gained her confidence. You rock unnie!

"Actually, the reason why I decided to join the military is because...of my son..." She answered calmly, fiddling with her fingers.

"..Your son?" The officer asked curiously.

Ji Young unnnie heaved a small sigh.

"...My husband was a soldier. On that fateful day, he was gravely injured in one of his missions which result in him being kicked out from the team."

Wow, I'm sure he was a great soldier. I nodded to myself.

"My son, he really wants to be like his father, brave and strong... He said that it's cool to be a soldier." She stopped for a while before she continued.

"He...wants to be a part of the military when he grows up. A-and I dont really like it..I'm scared that he will get hurt by being a soldier. It's a tough job. As a mother, I'm worried if anything happens to my son. Also as a mother, I want to support his dream to be a great soldier just like his father. And that's why I'm here...even if its just for a while..."

The officer eyes never left Ji Young unnie.

 

 

 

"Next is Cadet Liu. The same question as the others, why do you want to join the military?" The princess looked at me in the eyes with those shining orbs of hers. I could see the half smirk she was giving me while waiting for my answer. But really though, there was nothing interesting about me. I didn't know that telling these guys here about my reason will get me anywhere more than this interview. 

...And I really want to pass this interview too...

"Ahem, Liu?" I shook my head upon hearing my name. I didn't realise that I was staring at Ms. Jung for a very long time. Blood rushed to my cheeks.

Argh...That was embarrasssing!

"Y-Yes?!" I shouted a bit. Gosh, I'm so nervous.

"W-Well, I...was forced...?" They were staring at me upon hearing my answer. Even the princess looked surprised with what I just said.

"Excuse me, you were what?" I gulped nervously.

You can do this Amber. Fighting!

I took another deep breath before I continued.

"I was forced by my parents to join this academy. They said that I need to be independent and know how to protect myself."

They were still looking at each other, somewhat still not believing me. At this moment, I didn't even dare to look at Ms. Jung. I didn't want her to be disappointed in me. However, if she wants the truth then this is it.

I saw their faces. Confused? Disappointed? Funny? I hope it's not a lame reason of why I decided to join them. Well, parents decision. Whatever.

"Okay..." said one of the officers.

It was Ha Sun unnie's turn after mine. She told the officers that the reason why she wanted to join the academy was because of her grandfather. He was a soldier at one point of his life.

"When I was a kid, he always told us, me and my siblings about his adventures in his military days. He was bragging about his battle scars and the battles he had with the enemies. I always thought that he was so cool, eventhough he ended up in his wheelchair his whole life...until..." The officers nodded, understood what she meant.

Ha Sun Unnie took a deep breath before continuing.

"...We have his collection of guns and medal of honour. I want to have them too, by serving our country and this academy is the stepping stone for me to achieve my dream."

The instructors looked at Ha Sun unnie in awe and admiration. 

I suppose I should say something like that. Crap.

Suddenly, we all heard sniffles in the room. Ye Won unnie was crying while looking down, trying not make it obvious that she was balling her eyes out after listening to Ha Sun unnie's life story.

I was staring at her because I thought that she was so cute at that time until she met my eyes. I didn't know what to do so, I gave her a crooked smile. That made her giggle quietly and wiped her tears with her sleeves. I'm so proud of myself, being able to make a her smile.

We kept smiling at each other until...

"Ahem!"

We both looked in front. I caught Ms. Jung staring deadly at me and especially Ye Won unnie. I was sweating profusely while Ye Won unnie no longer looking at the officers.

"Cadet Kang. Please, respect your fellow cadets." Ms. Jung sounded very intimidating, her eyes couldn't look elsewhere other that Ye Won unnie. 

Trembling in fear she replied.

"Yes Ma'am. My apologies.", while slightly bowing to the young instructor.

I pitied Ye Won unnie. This was not the best day for all of us, well me excluded...kinda?

"...Ahem. It's okay. Cadet Kang, please tell us why you wanted to be part of us?"

One of the officers tried to brush away the tensed atmosphere inside the meeting room. It was quite obvious that were also scared of Ms. Jung and didn't want to get on her bad side.

She let out a breathy sigh and continued to look at the papers in front of her. I kept on staring at her serious face. She was such a beauty, one in a mill

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter