The Start of a New Life (pt.1)

Through the Eyes of the Beholder

Ten years have past since that faithful day, and a total of nine Jungkook spent alone. But in that one year together, Jungkook and Jimin became inseparable.

School began, just like any other year, and Jungkook found himself giddy at the thought. That would be a start to a lot of firsts in Jungkook's life.

That year, Jungkook started walking to school.

That year, Jimin would be attending the same school.

That year, Jungkook's life would be bright.

...but only for that single year...

Jungkook woke at six that faithful Monday morning, a bright smile plastered on his face. He could practically feel the butterflies as he made his way to get ready for the day ahead. Brushing his teeth, washing his face, getting dressed, then fixing his hair - the day started as normal.

'August 6, 2007 (6:30 A.M)'

'Today marks the second year anniversary of mine and Jimin's friendship! I'm so estatic to be spending another year with him!'

Jungkook had grabbed his journal and decided to get an early start to his writing, since he still had a good ten minutes or so until he had to leave for school.

'I really am; I haven't felt so happy about anything before... it's as if Jimin has trained my boring vision to visualize a whole new world. Had what I been seeing been mearly an illusion?'

He smiled,

'To think... I thought only I, a photographer and young scholar, could see the world for what it truely was, and yet - all it took was for me to make a friend, a true friend, for me to see the world in a whole new light.'

He sighed once, still smiling.

'I'm going to meet Jimin by the bus stop today, as per usual, and we will go on our way from there.'

His watch started to beep, alerting him to the time.

'Ah, well it seems to be that time. I shall let you know about my day's adventures later on. Until then, Journal.'

-Jungkook

'August 6, 2007 (8:35 A.M)

'It is currently first period, and Jimin hasn't shown up... yet. I had been waiting longer than usual for him this morning - so long that I nearly would have been absent my first class, had it not been for a caring bus driver making rounds. I sure am quite lucky.'

Jungkook looked at the clock. Eight-fourty.

I've tried to text him, but to no avail.

This really isn't like him... I wonder if he's okay?

He paused to scoff.

'Ah, what am I saying? I'm sure he's fine; it's only the beginning of the day, way too early to get ahead of myself.'

"Okay, class, prepare your things! Second period is about to begin." Chimed the teacher. Jungkook sighed.

'It seems as if I have to go; free time is up. I'll keep you updated about the situation with Jimin - if not only to keep myself from overthinking and worrying too much. Until then.'

-Jungkook

August 6, 2007 continued

'Currently it is the end of the school day; Jimin nowhere in sight. I haven't encountered him even once today. I don't want to jump to conclusions, but.. something just isn't right.'

He closed his eyes momentarily.

'On the contrary, he might just fill a bit ill today, maybe... maybe not feeling fit enought to come to school. He isn't a big fan of school, after all.'

'Tomorrow is a new beginning; I'll just have to wait patiently to see what it has in store for me, for us. Until then.' 

-Jungkook

The only thing was, was that Jimin never did show up the next day, or the days following - for nine years.

The year was now 2016, and not much had changed.

It seemed as if everything stopped the start of those nine years Jungkook spent alone; His smiles, his laughter, the brightness in his eyes... everything. He was on autopilot - had been for a long time.

People who knew him before noticed, yet did nothing to try to help - they didn't know how. Figuring he would get himself out of the slump he was in, they left him alone. Little did they know how much more harm they did than good. 

'December 15, 2007'

'It's been a whole three months since he up and left... which I still can't believe. I've been distraught throughout these months - I'm really at a loss as to what I should do.'

'I never really realized just how lonely I was, up till now, of course... he was always by my side, making every single detail of my life seem so bright, so much that I was blinded by my excitement for the next second of the day with him. '

He paused in his writing to look up at the ceiling,

'... Have I gone mad? Possibly insane? ... '

'The answer is yes.'

Yet another pause, followed by a shaky breath, 

'I think I found my problem.' 

'June 10, 2016'

'Journal, long time no see! '

He laughed audibly,

'I wish I could say that... to think, after all these years, I'm still writing to you like I would an old friend. '

He frowned. 

'I guess that's why I'm still doing this, huh? It's strange how much one's life can be effected just by memories, alone. Once someone has a certain memory containing even the slightest bit of happiness within it, it stays forever. At least, as long as we want it to. You see, like us humans, memories can be altered by time, just in different ways.'

We may sometimes have dreams of a certain event, dreaming things that never really happened, and the next time we try to relay that certain event to someone else, we, ourselves, may have an unclear -- uncertain -- look on it, just like the person we are telling it to. They don't know what went on, and, just like them, we may not either anymore. 

The same can be said when remembering. Our memories tend to fade, as may our hair, with time. We may not remember a small detail in our story, and therefore, we may fib and tell something of similar happenings. As long as we get the same point across... who really cares if it wasn't the exact way something happened? 

Right?

It sure is fasinating, once you think about it. But one may not want to dwell on the topic too long; for they may, too, begin to question their very sanity at the thought of what has really happened in their life, and what has not. 

He shrugged.

As such is life. 

Pressing his fingers to his temples, he sighed. 

Alas, I digress. 

My main point of topic; Park Jimin. That is what I came here to discuss, as per usual. You musn't be surprised by now, especially after nine years. I wouldn't expect you to be. 

I, too, am most disappointed in myself. 

It's just... like I was mentioning earlier, with the memories, once someone has experienced true happiness in their life, they are unwilling to let that moment go. That is why we often look to the brightest memories we've had with the people most important in our lives, whether they are passed, or simply out of our lives for one reason or another. That is why I cannot let go of my time with him. I am sorry I keep mentioning him, but my life had truely changed. 

'To think, even after nine years of being utterly alone, minus you, I still cannot learn to move on.'

He moved away from his desk. Running his hands down his face, and letting out a deep breath. 

'But that is what I came here to tell you about.'

 'I... believe it is time for me to forget.' 

'One way or another, be it that I have to slowly forget, or forcibly remove him from my mind'

...

'I will start my life anew!'

...

'I will forget Park Jimin.'