iii. taemin

heart-slopes

Taemin feels Naeun's heartbeat. They are slow and steady--pitapat-tapitapat. The party has mellowed down and they're resting on the couch. She is playing with his hair, humming a song from a movie they saw a few days ago. He is getting sleepy because he is drunk, because of the party, because of Naeun.

The front door opens and comes in Jinri laughing with Sehun in tow. He drops his gaze on them as soon as they disappear into the kitchen, leaving Taemin feeling slightly vexed. He releases a deep breath before shifting away from Naeun. He studies her keenly, tucking her stray hair behind her ear. Naeun's furrowed brows make him smile and he can't help but .

"Hal-meo-ni," he says, rubbing the frown off her brows. He knows she hates the nickname but her reactions to it is always cute. "Always so serious."

Naeun hits him slightly. "You're the one who can't be serious."

Taemin grabs her hands, looking at them adoringly. They are rough, callouses--all evidences of hard work. He likes them. "About what?"

"Nothing."

If he has to guess, it is related Jinri probably. Taemin doesn't say anything but he knows she doesn't like it when he is with Jinri. His relationship with Jinri runs deep. She is special, someone he can't cut ties with no matter how hard he tries. This is something he can't explain to Naeun, to anyone but she is no more special than Naeun.

"Naeun," he confesses, bringing her hands to his lips for a kiss. "You are my polar star.*"

She flushes first before bursting into a fit of giggles. She pulls her hand away to hit his leg. "Oppa, that was so cringy! How drunk are you?"

"I'm drunk on you." He captures her hands again and drags them around his shoulder. 

"Stop! You're so weird!" Naeun tries to escape but he snakes his arms around her body ands traps her in. They have a brief staring down contest, to which Taemin loses, before he engulfs her completely with his body. He will assure her, no matter how many times it takes him to do so.

"I'll always choose you. So don't worry, Naeun. It will always be you." 

 

 

 

* In reference to Tagore's poem, My Polar Star.

There might be two more chapter of this. Whatever this is. The whole thing about Taemin/Jinri/Naeun will be revealed in the next chapter... or soon anyway lol