Chapter 1

Saudade
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

In my whole nineteen years of existence, I have yet to figure out that standing alone, under the scorching sun of Gwangju, without the presence of an umbrella or anything I can make use to protect my skin from burning, is only something idiots like myself would do.

 

With my hand just slightly above my eyebrows, shielding my eyes from the destructive light coming from up above, I glared at every shiny vehicle that passes by. I sighed, and put my hand down as I, once again, regretted why I didn't bring my sunblock with me. If I can't find any air conditioned cafes soon, I swear I'm going to pass out and end up sprawled across the concrete floor, as if I were a fly that just got swatted.

 

I exhaled deeply, trying to lessen the frustration building inside me, as I glanced at the small piece of paper held tightly by my hand; too afraid that the strong warm wind might blow away my only hope for free shelter, a comfy mattress, and an air conditioner which I so badly need at the moment.

 

"What the hell is with this heat?" I mumbled lowly as I wipe away the sweat that formed on the tip of my nose and my forehead. Unable to bear the heat much longer, I hastily grabbed my scrunchie from my bag and tied my hair into a messy bun. Yet, my attempt to at least minus the summer heat enveloping around me did no justice, as I still felt the irritating feeling of my clothes getting sticky and wet all thanks to the ing humidity.

 

I groaned, putting all my efforts into fanning myself, which was abiet quite useless because the heat still managed to come through.

 

"Is this karma getting back at me after two years?" I murmured to myself as I ran my fingers through my messy hair, blame the wind for that thank you very much, and plopped myself down one of my travel suitcases which were frozen still right beside me ever since I got out from the train station, where the temperature was quite the opposite compared to where I am now. "It wasn't even my intention to destroy that fat boy's cake."

 

It's been more than twenty minutes already ever since I started standing here, squinting my eyes on the road from time to time, looking like an idiot as usual.

 

Never in my life have I wished for rain to fall down, noting the fact that I've been riding public transportations since the day my mom decided I was all grown up and independent enough to go to school on my own. Well, I never wished for rain until the very moment I took my first step out of Gwangju's train station. Somehow, at the back of my mind, I kind of had an idea regarding what was to come and greet me. It was summer after all and the heat was to be taken heed of. But what I wasn't expecting at all was the exaggeration that goes with it.

 

I started to fan myself again, all the while glancing at the road, simultaneously hoping that a certain black Volvo will magically appear right in front of me. Clicking my tongue, I heave a deep sigh, and was about to go back inside the train station, since I just recently decided it's best to stay there if I'm going to wait for a hundred years before someone fetches me, when suddenly, a voice stopped me from doing so.

 

"Ms. Bae Suzy?"

 

Startled, my body surprisingly did a not-so-lady-like reflex by falling off my travel bag, landing on the burning concrete floor in a not-so-graceful way. I bit my lower lip as I winced in pain, pursing my eyes shut for a second, all the while trying my best not to spit out any vulgar words that might offend the person who gave me the unexpected surprise of a life time.

 

", are you okay?" Goes the worried voice of who I assume is a guy,

 

"What do you think?" I replied with obvious sarcasm, still feeling the impact of my involuntary exhibition just a moment ago.

 

"Geez, I'm sorry." The guy said, before stretching out his hand for me to take, which I gladly did.

 

"You don't have to go surprising people like that, you know." I dusted off the imaginary dirt on my clothes before I straightened up myself to take a good look at the boy before me.

 

Silence almost immediately engulfed us the moment our eyes met. I gulped as I did my hardest to stay cool and calm, as if I wasn't facing a boy who could pass for a modern day Adonis.

 

The guy chuckled charmingly, sending music to my ears, before shaking his head like he just thought of something silly. "Remind me not to do that." He said while sheepishly rubbing the back of his neck, his blonde hair in a beautiful mess as it shimmered under the bright rays of the sun. He was beyond perfection and I needed to get my together or I'll end up looking like a drooling idiot in front of this Greek god.

 

"I'm Brain Kang, by the way." He introduced while sporting a smile which can make every girl in this planet weak-kneed within a second, and extended his strong looking arm for me to shake. I quickly accepted the offer, almost melting right on the spot as my fingers came in contact with his calloused ones.

 

"B-Bae Suzy." I said, before looking

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter