First

사랑하고 미워 - love and hate

장 하나

 


 

The young man opened his eyes, rubbing his dusty eyelashes against his knuckles until they no longer felt the itch of lingering sleep. A pink tongue slipped out to glide over chapped lips, triggering a yawn. As his arms stretched out over his head, they disturbed the white sheets which he had pulled over his face in the night. Finally Jimin sat up, the sheets falling away, and blinked his dark eyes. Only one of his brothers was in the room, still clinging to dreams while the others were probably eating breakfast.

 

“Come on you lazy child,” Jimin said, swinging his legs over the side of his mattress and grabbing a pillow. He thumped the soft object at Taehyung’s head, messing up the boy’s light brown hair. “Jin-hyung already made breakfast.” It took a long time to even get Tae to keep his eyes open, let alone get out of bed, but at last the two entered the kitchen. “It’s about time,” called J-Hope as the boys, jokingly called the twins, made an appearance. “Ah, leave us alone Hyung,” Jimin complained, sitting down and reaching for the food Jin had so lovingly prepared. Though his dinner foods were better, he could still make a mean breakfast.

 

“We have to get ready soon,” warned Yoongi, who had been awake for a long time and yet still looked ready for bed. His eyes were narrow as slits, peering over the edge of his coffee cup at V and Jimin. “We have more practice today.” Jimin nodded, his mouth too full of food to make a proper response.

 

After breakfast the seven boys got dressed in a varying assortment of basketball shorts and baggy t-shirts. Namjoon made his mood clear with a shirt that had “swag” emblazoned on the front in large white letters. Jimin tugged a snap-back hat over his dyed hair and followed the other six out of the dorms. Their manager was waiting, ready to take them to the studio for a briefing.

 

“After your dance practice we have another photoshoot for the new album,” he said as the seven boys gathered around in a circle. Once they had their instructions it was time to practice- seeing as they had the dance perfected, this would be the day they filmed the dance practice to put online for the fans. Jimin was constantly amazed by how loyal their ARMY was; he liked to refresh the YouTube page and watch the “likes” soar.

 

It didn’t take long to get the recording done, but Jimin was still tired and sweating by the time they left the studio. Jungkook walked beside him as they left, his eyes alight and smile eager. “That flip was great, you really got it that time,” Jimin said to the maknae, the youngest of the group. Really, it was no surprise to the dancer that his maknae had done so well. Jungkook was known as the golden child, the one who never did anything wrong. When Kookie messed up, on those rare occasions when he did, all he had to do was lower his head and peek up through those messy bangs of his- instantly he was forgiven. Jimin could not help but be jealous of the teen, with his good looks and boundless talent.

 

Jungkook thanked him for the compliment, but he was already chattering about something else. Jimin almost missed what he was saying, distracted by the boy’s hands, which were waving about and gesturing with each excited word. “Come on Bangtan,” called Namjoon from ahead. The leader wore a dimpled smile beneath dark sunglasses, white-blond hair falling over the tinted lenses protecting his eyes. “We don’t have all day.” Jimin hurried to follow, squeezing into their van beside Hoseok and Jungkook. From the seat behind him he could hear Taehyung pestering Suga, who grumbled about his seating at first. Eventually the older idol succumbed to V’s pestering and played along, causing Jimin to turn around and grin.

 

The photoshoot was all business, but it was also routine for the boys. Jungkook practically fell asleep while staff did his hair and makeup. Jimin stayed awake, eyes darting about to observe his brothers. Rap Monster wore torn jeans with a white t-shirt, a thin golden chain hanging from his neck while his light hair was brushed over to one side. J-Hope’s face was covered with a studded mask, his long frame dressed mostly in leather and denim. Suga’s skin looked even more pale than usual, striking against his black clothes and bright hair. He and Jin both wore serious expressions, though as Jin stepped in front of the cameras his lips quickly tugged into a sweet smile.

 

Soon it was time for the maknae line to pose together. V tugged at the collar of his white shirt with one hand, while the other had a thumb through his belt loop. Jungkook sidled up beside Jimin, turning slightly to the side. His eyes, which were already doe-like, looked even bigger and brighter with the addition of eyeliner. Jimin glanced over, noticing that the younger boy was flushed, the veins in his neck standing out slightly from a pulse that was faster than normal. “Nervous?” Jimin teased, moving his body this way and that in front of the camera. He lifted his shirt almost casually to show off his stomach again; his teeth bit down to tug against his lower lip in an arrogant smirk. Jungkook rolled those big eyes of his playfully. “Quite, Jiminie, I’m never nervous.” Jimin’s smile faltered just slightly- no, the maknae had much more confidence than he did.

 

When at last they were done modeling it was time to eat lunch. They went back to the dorms to eat and rest for a bit before the next part of the day; they were working on new songs, and the next day they would start filming for their new music video. Jimin was grateful to sit and relax while his two oldest hyungs prepared lunch. While Yoongi looked aloof and somber in public most of the time, he was just as fussy and caring as a grandmother when it came to the maknae line.

 

“Jiminie!” a small voice hissed from across the room. Glancing over, he spotted Jungkook leaning out of the hallway. “Come here!” the young boy whispered. Jimin raised an eyebrow curiously, but approached. “What is it?” he asked in a whining tone, wanting to sit by himself for just a moment. Jungkook grinned devilishly, his expression hinting at a coming trick. “Want to mess with Yoongi?” Jimin’s lips twitched into a smile, catching the younger singer’s excitement. “Why not?”

 

Inching into the kitchen with video camera in hand, Jimin stifled a snicker as Jungkook crept up behind Suga. “Hello Hyung!” Kookie crowed, his hands clasping Yoongi’s shoulders. Suga sighed, hardly turning his head to glance backwards. “Go away, I’m making food.” He insisted, trying his best to ignore the maknae.

 

“What are you making?”

 

“Nothing if you don’t stop.”

“Can I help?”

 

“No.”

 

“Will you smile for the ARMYs?”

 

Suga glanced at the camera, gave a little smile, and then pushed Jungkook away. “Bother somebody else, I’m busy.” So the two skittered away, locating J-Hope. “Smile!” Jimin ordered. His friend did even better, making a silly face and stepping close to the lens until Jimin had an unnecessary view of Hoseok’s nose. “You know for such a talented idol you sure are ugly,” Jimin teased. J-Hope’s face twisted into one of pain, his phony expression pitiful as he pretended to turn away in sadness. “Ah, don’t insult Hobi-hyung,” Jungkook gasped, encircling the dancer in loving arms and holding him close.

 

Jimin laughed. “You don’t hug me when I get teased!” He complained enviously, turning the camera towards himself and making a pouty face. J-Hope spoke up gleefully: “Don’t put the camera on yourself, you’ll break it.”