Chapter 1

Cars and Continuums

“Wait, what are you talking about?”

“I’m saying that we can go anywhere in any time period.”

“Seriously, you expect me to buy that?”

If only I believed him then.

Five years have passed since Sehun first pulled his pickup truck into my driveway. The same occurrence would happen every day for weeks: pull up, explain, fail to convince me, and drive away. Back then I swore he was on some type of drug, but thinking back now, I might’ve been the one on drugs for not believing him. After two weeks, I got tired of constantly denying him. All that annoyance locked away in my chest burst out in a stream of frustrated sentences.

The next day he never came.

Time and time again after that fated day I would run over to my first floor window, hoping he would park on my driveway with a new reason for our time travel adventures. No trace of his loud horn or his even louder voice could be spotted. At first, I thought Sehun was giving me the silent treatment, but my conclusion immediately changed the minute his picture appeared on the news broadcast. Sehun had died.

It took me a few days to pull myself out of a spiraling dark mentality. My constant denial kept overtaking my thoughts. Nothing could bring me to accept his death. The gaping void of my life could never be refilled.

I did get over him eventually. I had to move on just like the rest of the crowd. My questions were left floating in the corners of my mind, only haunting me when I let them. My life began to build back up. I could replenish my happiness without the help of another person.

As the fifth year hit, I remembered the old car he used to ramble on about. He would tell me how it could take you to any time, past or present. Laughing, I pushed off the good memory to another day.

That same memory played itself in my head a few days later, the day I’m currently living in. The feeling to visit that car kept growing with every minute passing. Maybe this will be the way I can feel completely at peace. I stepped outside my home in a trip to my past.

It took me twenty minutes to find the location of the car in an old junkyard downtown under a dirty tarp. The man working when I arrived told me to park it in the empty road by the back as he handed me the keys, “Make sure to have enough speed.”

The car door opened to reveal a dusty interior. Sliding into the driver’s seat, I ran my hand over the dashboard, wiping away the thick layer of dust from my fingers. On the dashboard was a strange contraption with numbers and words indicating a month, day, and year. My hand reached out to plug in the date I wished to travel to, but someone already beat me to it. In bright red numbers read the exact date five years ago Sehun died.

He must’ve gone here before he… My thoughts trailed off at the thought of his body bloodied and cold. He didn’t commit suicide, right? I mean the police said it was accidental homicide, but could it be?

“There’s only one way to find out,” I told myself as a put the key in the ignition and revved the engine.

To: March 15th 2011