One

Words

 

 


 

 

- Where are you?

- I’ll be a little bit late. 15 minutes at most.

- Okay, but be fast. You know how I look right now?

- Haha like a total loser? I know. Sorry, I’ll be there real quick.

- Mm, love you.

- Yeah, me too.

 

Today’s our 5th year anniversary. She had asked me to meet her at one of my favorite cafes nearby to celebrate, I assume. I’m known to like really quiet places, and so is she. We knew each other in high school, became friends through other people, and yes, just like most cliché movies, we fell in love. I really don’t know when it started, these feelings I have for her – I guess it just somehow bloomed on a random day. I can’t quite say the same for the latter, though. You know, she practically chased me around after 3 months of our real friendship. Of course, she didn’t bluntly and suddenly say that she likes me, but you’d find her wherever you find me. And I have to admit that I did think she was really cute, like a little puppy wagging its tail whenever she saw me.

But now she’s late. Here I am, in a peaceful café, with no more than 10 people in it, looking very much like a loser on this special day. My coffee’s half way done, and I seriously look lonely. I’m not, by the way. I was never the type to compromise people who lack punctuality, but I find it easy to look past everything if she does it. People said she tamed me. My family claimed that finally someone succeeded in melting the ice and breaking her ridiculously high walls of iron. We’re not married, but I do believe she is the one.

 

“Hey!”

I am disturbed by who else but my girlfriend. I had the thought of hugging her in her long navy blue coat with a formal suit underneath, but I also think she does not deserve my hug.

“Ya!” I say, slapping her forearm. “Why are you so late? I waited for at least 45 minutes.”

“Ow ow ow! I know I know,” she says, trying to block my attacks. “And I’m sorry.”

I stop. “Okay then. Seat.”

See what I mean when I say I let everything go?

“So why are you taking me out tonight? We usually have our anniversary at home, being lazy bums.” I ask, quirking my eyebrow.

“Well, I thought maybe this year we can do it a little bit differently. Y’know, just checking the water. If we find this okay, then maybe we can vary our ways or something.” Playing with her bag, Taeyeon says that without looking at me.

“Taeyeon ah…” Her eyes snapped at me, like she’s nervous. “Is everything okay? Is there something you need to tell me?”

Her eyes fall back onto her lap, she says, “Yeah, um there is something but we’ll talk about it after dinner okay?”

Maybe she got promoted.

 

So we eat. I had my portion of steak and she had her portion of fish. Now we’re drinking the ridiculously expensive wine, which Taeyeon insists on paying for it. I guess, she did get promoted.

 

“Cheers!”

The glass clinked and we drink the not-so-cheap wine. Then, I understand why it’s cost is ridiculous.

“So…babe?”

Again her eyes snapped at me.

I laugh at her respond. “Taeyeon, relax. Why are you so jumpy all of a sudden?”

“No-nothing. Really.”

“C’mon Tae. You are aware that by now, I might just know you better than you do,” I say, reaching out to her hand.

She gladly accepted the attempt, naturally. “Yeah…but let’s pay first. Then we can talk while we walk along the Hangang River. Mm?”

I nod, agreeing to her plans that warm my insides up.

 

Walking hand in hand, step by step, one breath after another, harmonizing in everything we do, I knew she has good news.

She doesn’t notice me staring at her. Her profile, her blond-short hair, her pale skin. And I think, how did I ever become so lucky? She’s everything any guy or girl could ever ask for. She’s funny, dorky, adorably outdated, who also has a serious side of her when she does her work. But she’s mostly a bundle of happiness. My happiness, at least.

“Taengoo~” I coo.

“Hmm~” she hums back.

“What’s on your mind?”

She scoffed a smile and says, “there’s a lot in my mind. You know that.”

“Mm~ true.”

We stay silent once again, enjoying the night breeze. It’s been a long time since we’ve done this. Over 3 years, if I’m not mistaken.

“So, what is it that you wanna tell me?” I ask, breaking the comfortable silence.

“Let’s sit over there first.” Pointing at a bench under a huge tree, facing the calm river.

She escorts me to sit, but she doesn’t do the same. She stands in front of me, blocking the view – though I do so much prefer this view than the view the river offers.

She stares at her feet a little longer before I hear a deep sigh.

Holding both her hands while she hovers over me, I say, “Taeyeon, what’s wrong?”

I see her closing her eyes.

I feel her knees bending.

I sense her hands taking control over mine.

She opens the window to her soul.

 

 


Next chapter will be up tomorrow.

A/N: I couldn't continue my other fanfics yet, because I have not inspirations nowadays. Sorry ><