Gemini

I...

 

Taeyeon had always known she wasn't "normal" when it came to romantic interests; it wasn't like she had never taken an interest in boys, she had, but to her, girls were always more... endearing.

When she was younger she ruled out the possibility of being a lesbian since she never really looked like those manly girls that the TV showed and she didn't feel like an abomination like her parents told her, which left her the question, what was she?
It would be later, when she started using the internet and exploring the world, so to speak, that she found out not all lesbians had to fit into a mold, that people were different, but she also found out a new term: biual, she finally identified with something, she didn't mind labels that much but it did feel good to have this sense of belonging somewhere, to be part of something, not that she would ever dare utter that word anywhere outside of her head, of course.
She was 21 when she discovered that she was wrong. Not only did Taeyeon say the word, she said it about her very own person, to none other than Jessica Jung, and for a while, she believed she couldn't have made a better choice.
It was after their first real kiss, in the dark and silent bedroom by the side of Jessica's bed. When the blonde girl shyly asked if she liked girls, to what she answered "Yeah, just not only girls, I'm bi."
The window's curtain let just the right amount of moonlight to illuminate Jessica's face in a way that Taeyeon could see the small smile playing on the corner of . "Good." She heard the girl whisper before crashing their lips together one more time.
It was a good thing all the other girls had late night schedules that night.
 
 
 
Taeyeon remembers how sweet her time with the blonde girl was, she remembers the nights when all nine girls gathered in the living room to watch some horror movie, despite some protests, and Jessica would squeeze her hand and then hide in the crook of her neck, both hidden in the safety of the dark room where they knew none of the girls would notice. Taeyeon would hug her and whisper in her ear that nothing would happen to her and she would always be there to protect her. Taeyeon now wishes she would've kept those promises.
She remembers their rare time alone, on the way back from some early schedule, when they would sit at the back, with the excuse of being too tired and secretly hold hands — not that it was unusual for friends to do that but none of them wanted to take the risk, besides they didn't just hold hands.
She also remembers their last night together, before the damned conversation with her manager, now that she thinks about it, that was probably when said manager had caught them.
It was a lazy afternoon in the dorm and most of the girls were laying in the living room sofa while watching some Hollywood movie. Taeyeon and Jessica, however, were in the bedroom; Taeyeon had her head on the blonde's lap while the latter read a fashion magazine.
"Sica, I'm bored... Wanna do something fun?" Jessica eyed the girl in her lap suspiciously.
"What do you mean by that?" Taeyeon grinned, knowing very well what the other girl was thinking about and chuckled.
"Get your mind out of the gutter Jessica." She said in playful tone before sitting up and looking at the beauty in front of her.
"I was just thinking we could go out and do something."
"Go out? You know that's crazy right? People will recognize us." Jessica answered with skepticism.
"Not if we were careful, c'mon, I just want to do something normal with you." Taeyeon knew that was reckless, with the group's current popularity they were recognized everywhere, but she couldn't help it. Living in a place where everything she saw and heard told her that it was wrong for her to be who she was and love who she loved just drove her crazy, she needed some sense of normality, some reassurance that it was ok to love someone as much as she loved Jessica, despite her being a girl. Taeyeon just needed to feel that it was ok to love.
"I don't know Tae, we would be screwed if anyone found out."
"Hyoyeon and Yuri can cover for us and we can stay out of the crowded areas... Pleaaase Sica." She knew the blonde girl had close to no defenses when she begged for something, and as much as she would rather avoid using her powers for "evil" she pondered to herself that just this time wouldn't hurt.
"Ok, ok, but let me get dressed first and you too! Go get changed!" Jessica commanded and Taeyeon was more than happy to oblige.
After putting the most inconspicuous clothes they could find and roping Yuri and Hyoyeon into their plan, saying they needed a breather, both girls sneaked past Seohyun to avoid unnecessary speeches and went down to the garage to Taeyeon's car.
"Ok, so what will we do at..." Jessica stopped to look at her wrist watch "9 o'clock on a wednesday?"
"Hmmm... I think I might just know of a place."
"You better, after dragging me out of my comfortable bed." The girl in the passenger seat giggled and  lightly punched Taeyeon in the arm.
"Of course princess, I would never dare to take you away from your precious bed without a good reason." She answered with a smirk while she drove off.
The ride was calm, small talk and a few songs filled the car while the two girls enjoyed the freedom of being just themselves, not the members of the nation's most popular girl group.
Taeyeon parked the car and a comfortable silence formed inside the vehicle, she looked at Jessica while Jessica looked at their surroundings and Taeyeon was once again mesmerized by the girl's beauty and how she seemed to glow in the moonlight.
"Jessica." She called softly while leaning closer and closer, when the girl turned to look at her they were already inches apart, Taeyeon closed the distance and the world melted around them as they kissed, it was at times like this that she felt that nothing could go wrong. If only she had known how big of a mistake that was.
A few minutes later Taeyeon led Jessica outside the car and into a beautiful park, the trees were gently swaying in the wind and the lake reflected the calm scenery.
"Seoul Forest? Really Taeyeon?" The younger girl said mockingly  as she realized where they were.
"What's wrong with Seoul Forest? It's really pretty, plus there is hardly anyone here."
"I thought you'd be more original." Jessica said while chuckling "aaand you said we would do something fun, everything is closed right now, you know?"
"Ooh I see, so you're saying that spending time with me is not fun enough for you." Taeyeon said in a fake hurtful tone, crossed her arms and started walking.
"I'm kidding!  Taengoo, sorry, please forgive me?" The girl pouted and Taeyeon cringed.
"Ugh ok, ok, just stop with the aegyo!" Jessica started laughing and Taeyeon soon followed, the two stood there letting the sound of their voices travel through the empty space of the park for a few minutes before continuing to walk.
The place was indeed very much empty so they could actually have a normal, outdoors, date. It was weird how a simple walk in a park held so much significance to the idols – the freedom, the peace, everything they rarely ever had, together with the perfect company.
Neither one of them actually said the word "date", they weren't actually dating afterall, but to a stranger this was probably the definition of one. They walked and sometimes ran through the park, laughed, enterwined their fingers and exchanged the ocasional kiss when they were sure no one was looking, it would've been perfect had it not been for the fact that they were wrong about being sure no one else was looking.
The day after was one Taeyeon desperately wanted to forget, not just because of everything that had happened afterwards but also because of the look of disgust in the face of someone she admired, a companion who guided and helped her through so much; her manager spoke as if she wasn't even a person anymore, the harshness in his voice and the coldness in his expression were imprinted in her mind. Obviously, even if she couldn't forget she still didn't like to dwell on such memories.
The years that followed were definitely not the best she'd ever had. Despite the success in their careers, she had been told that time was supposed to heal all wounds and for a long time she had believed that, until then, because it didn't matter how much time passed nor how much she tried to drown herself in work, it still hurt just like it did at the beginning. Whatever the case, she was willing to hurt, if it meant keeping Jessica safe, she had no problem with it.
Taeyeon could feel herself even withering away and, apparently, she was not the only one, it came to a point where the fans began to notice, comments popped up on every social media about how Taeyeon looked sad, how she was different, how she looked thinner. Even so, entertainment was her job and she had always done it to the best of her abilities, logically she would continue to do so despite the chaos in her mind and especially in her heart.
 
 
 
And then there were the best months in her life, when she could kiss and shower the most especial girl of her life with all the love she wanted. Obviously, not everything was perfect and secrecy was the key to their relationship but, still, she couldn't care less, especially in those rainy days cuddling with Jessica under a blanket and watching some random program on TV or their escapades whenever they traveled to some place where anonimity was suddenly a possibility, they had small and normal dates and she could picture their entire lives together.
Of course that happiness didn't last long; Taeyeon knew deep down that their relationship wasn't going to be a very long one, as much as she didn't want to admit it, she knew that they would never be accepted, she just didn't expect it to happen so soon.
Taeyeon remembers very clearly the morning when she was called to the company for an urgent matter, as they said. That was never a good sign.
She was led to the big man's office as soon as she got there, upon entering she could already feel that it wasn't going to be a pleasant conversation.
Lee Soo Man was standing by the his desk staring at Seoul through the window. "Sit." His voice was sharper than a knife and she felt her insides freeze but did what she was told nonetheless.
A stack of pictures were thrown on the table and her heart sank. They were all pictures of Jessica and her, kissing, holding hands, being overall happy on various occasions, all taken by a professional camera judging by the quality, which left no room for speculation. This were the members, Jessica and Taeyeon, of Girls' Generation.
"Care to explain this?" There it was again, the disgust, she was starting to get used to it now. However, it didn't make her any less nervous.
"I-it's not… I-I don't."
"Do you have any idea how much company money was spent to keep the press away from these pictures?" He finally turned to look at her. It didn't help her nervousness whatsoever.
"And for what? For some dumb experimentation?"
"No! That's not it! We love each other." Dumb move. She realized that the moment she spoke those words but it was too late, she spent too much time questioning herself the exact same thing in the past and it became an involuntary reaction, awful timing though.
"That's worse then. I wouldn't have pictured you as one of them, I can't – I won't have this." His calm and methodical tone were worse, it showed Taeyeon that he had already made up his mind and it probably wouldn't end well, not for her nor Jessica.
"She is not coming back."
"WHAT?" Something like that was bound to happen and she had tried to prepare herself over the course of her relationship, Taeyeon knew that when it came down to this, it would be either her or Jessica on the chopping block, nevertheless it was still a shock, it was too soon, too cruel "No! You can't, this wouldn't be beneficial in any way, the group would..."
"It's not a discussion. Jessica was ready to go in a hiatus, the plan hasn't changed, she just isn't coming back."
"But, sir, there must be..."
"No, there is nothing else to discuss. She will no longer be a member of Girls' Generation and you, especially you, are not to keep in contact with her."
To a certain extent, Taeyeon knew it was useless to fight against such a decision, she would be happy to take Jessica's place and leave instead, but again she knew it was useless. However no one, no one, would keep her from seeing Jessica.
"With all due respect sir, you have no right to stop me from seeing whoever I want to."
"That maybe so, but I can not imagine what would happen to her career, especially now with Blanc, if word got out that she was removed from the group due to... immoral behavior. I'm sure you wouldn't want that, correct?" The threat was very clear, and the worst part was that he was right. Blanc was still a very much new company and everything could shake it's foundations, especially something like this. Every nerve in her body told her that he was absolutely right, the CEO also knew that, the smug look on his face proved that fact.
She'd heard about how ferocious Lee Soo Man could be when it came down to business but Taeyeon had never seen this side of the man, he'd always been nothing but calm and kind to her. She was frozen, dumbfounded, her movements limited to a few open and closes of .
"You may leave now."
Taken aback and knowing that arguing now wouldn't make any difference she did what she was told, again. Suddenly, all those horror movie nights played back in her head, all the promises she had made throughout those silly films now resonated with a much bigger meaning to her. She had failed, she couldn't keep Jessica safe; but how could she have known that the monsters weren't hiding behind a screen or under the bed? How could she have known that the monsters were, in fact, pulling the strings?
 
 
The fan meeting in Shenzhen was depressing to say the least. The news clearly crushed everybody's spirits and, even though they still tried their best for the fans it was definitely hard. So very ****ing hard, especially for Taeyeon, who was honestly surprised by her acting skills because despite not being able to hide everything she was feeling, she was still able to not completely break down on stage, she even managed to be relatively composed in front of the girls; had the situation been different she would have made a joke about how much her acting had improved and that she should take more roles on dramas.
But things weren't different and when the group landed in Seoul reality hit her like a slap to the face, at least in Shenzhen everything she saw didn't remind her of Jessica; a sofa was just a sofa, not the place where Jessica used to crash when she was too tired to go to a room a few feet away which led to the two of them waking up with sore bodies and a group of unsuspecting girls mocking them, a mocha was just a mocha, not Jessica's favorite drink, that bed was just a bed...
It had been almost a week since Taeyeon had last spoken to the girl, after she heard of Jessica's weibo post she knew there was nothing else she could do, even so, she would not make the girl go through the same thing again, they needed to talk. Last time she cut Jessica out of her life without any kind of explanation, this time she thought that the girl deserved at least a goodbye.
So she called the brunette one last time and drove to her apartment one last time.
Perhaps it was the whole yin yang of life, it was certainly ironic though, how the same person could bring her so much happiness and at the same time the biggest sorrows. Her mind and heart didn't seem to be able to accept all the sudden events in her life, the bitter sweet feelings about seeing the girl again and it being the last time were just too much for her, even more now that she was a few steps away from Jessica's apartment.
The door opened and the world stopped, the girl behind the door had clearly been crying and obviously been drinking, judging by the few droplets of wine on her shirt, still Taeyeon couldn't fathom how in the hell Jessica managed to look so stunning despite everything, maybe her opinion was biased, she didn't give a damn.
It was supposed to be a goodbye but neither one of them managed to hold back upon seeing the other, bodies collided, lips met, fingers intertwined with dark tresses of hair, the door was closed with a kick.
 
 
 
 
 
The two figures in bed laid in each others arms with a serenity contradictory to what was to come next, it would feel like the calm before the storm if the storm hadn't already passed, destroying everything precious in it's wake.
"There's no way out of this, is there?" Taeyeon heard the girl say almost in a whisper in the crook of her neck.
"I don't think there is."
"I know, I just wish..." The brunette's voice failed her and she felt the tears blurring her vision. "I wish we could just be ourselves for once in our lives. Haven't we pretended enough?"
Taeyeon didn't have an answer for that question, maybe they had, maybe this was enough, maybe they could just drop everything and just live, but with a company like S.M she didn't even want to think what could happen if they broke their contracts, and besides, what if it wasn't? What if she couldn't let this go? Singing was her life, had always been, at least until Jessica. And what about her? Jessica had always talked about how much she wanted this. She couldn't get in the way of the girl's success now that she had just begun to pursue her dream.
A kiss broke her out of her thoughts for one last time "You were overthinking things again." A small chuckle, that boarded the line of sadness, came from the brunette.
"So were you." Taeyeon kissed the crown of Jessica's head.
"I was, but I want to spend this time doing more than just thinking. We'll both have plenty of time to do that later."
Taeyeon liked to joke that without each other they would both just drown in their own thoughts, now she feared it might be true.
"Whatever you want princess." The girls spend their next few minutes like that, exchanging little caresses and kisses, playing with each others fingers, praying that time might just freeze at that moment.
"You ever noticed how we always seem to end up lazing in bed every time we're together?"
"Hmmm... Of course, that's the best way to spend time, plus I always do everything in bed, remember?"
"Funny, I clearly remember that time on the couch..." The smirk in Taeyeon's face soon turned into an expression of pain when Jessica slapped her arm.
"Wow! You're such a brat." Jessica said while laughing and Taeyeon soon followed.
After their laughter died down, Taeyeon felt the grip on her waist grow stronger and then she felt droplets on her chest, soon realizing that the girl in her arms was crying.
"I don't want to lose you." Jessica said in a whimper and the sheer hurt in her voice sliced Taeyeon's heart to pieces, she quickly noticed the moisture in her own eyes and, at this point, didn't bother holding back. She didn't want to, but their last moments were filled with silent crying and unvoiced pain.
 
 
 
 
 
Taeyeon hadn't planned on reminiscing like this, she had become better at compartmentalizing over the year that had passed, she liked to focus on her career, her solo debut, members successful projects, that made her happy and, most importantly, that allowed her to forget for a while.
Nonetheless, she couldn't help herself from going through old photos in her cellphone while waiting for her manager in a busy company hall.
Taeyeon had deleted the pictures with her from her Instagram, but she couldn't bring herself to do the same with the ones on her phone. The company had made it pretty clear that she was supposed to cut all ties with Jessica and it hurts as hell to pretend that they didn't happen but she made it through, somehow. They couldn't take this from her tough, she deserved this small piece of happiness at least. She deserved to remember the times when they laughed, the times when they hugged, kissed and even the times when they cried because, right now, it all felt like a dream, Jessica was the girl of her dreams and she didn't want to forget, never.
At first she wondered if it would've been better to never have said those words back when they were young, if it would've been better to walk away and pretend nothing had ever happened, the old "is it better to have loved and lost than never have loved at all?", but just the memory of that girl's laughter brought such an indescribable joy and warmth to her heart and she was sure she wouldn't trade that for anything.
She heard somebody call her name, only to find out that whatever schedule she had left was cancelled for the day because of some reason she didn't bother remembering. So Taeyeon decided to head back alone, it's not like she needed someone with her 24/7, in fact she would rather be alone now, being with people exhausted her, not that she didn't like it, there were moments where she craved human contact but more often than not she would always end up in her room. Even if she needed people around her as much as anyone else, it still drained her, apparently that was what being an introvert was. There was only one exception, not that it mattered much now, now that she didn't have that person she spent a lot of times with her coloring books and, as childsh as coloring sounded, at least it helped ease the void she so often felt these days.
Walking down the corridors to the entrance, Taeyeon spotted a familiar shade of brown standing out in the crowd, looking back she saw the figure that she was once so familiar with. In a second a thousand thoughts ran through her mind, from running to her to running away from her. Taeyeon had heard about the girl's return to Korea but it was too much of a coincidence to find her here of all places, it was too cruel. After a few seconds of standing frozen in the middle of the corridor she started to walk away.
It was for the best, wasn't it? If nothing could be done, why prolong the suffering? One step forward, another, one more, the door was at an arm's length away.
The image of the most dazzling smile flashed through Taeyeon's mind. She was right there, right there for God's sake! Taeyeon looked back, the silhouete of the girl was almost lost in the middle of the crowd and she caught herself thinking how Jessica must've been almost a physiological need for her, because she felt her feet move before her brain had even time to process anything, and she saw herself running towards the girl of her dreams.

-------------------------------------

Hi guys! So I wanted to update this on Jessica´s brithday but life happened and I'm a bit late. I'm not very happy with how this chapter turned out, I feel it ended up being a bit rushed, so I was kinda wondering if I should post this at all but I didn't want to leave you guys hanging, thus I've decided to leave the end to your imagination (>.<)

I know that there are much better writers out there who already told this story but I kinda wanted to give my small version of this. I hope you liked it, thanks so much for the comments and subscriptions, and a special shout out to mzlyodnineothree and jsy1989 for the upvotes!

Until next time!