One

Lifesaver

Baekhyun was tired. It had, to say the least, been a long day. He cracked his neck and leaned against a telephone pole, glancing at his watch. It was almost time. He glanced up and his face was hit by a biting wind that almost made him wish he had brought a hat. He rubbed his hands together, trying to keep the little warmth he had.

Across the street was a small convenience store. Brightly lit, well stocked. He wasn’t sure what the owner had done but his orders were clear and he had learned long ago not to disobey T’s orders. He glanced at his watch once more and then his hands in his pockets before quickly walking across the street.

Inside the store was just one employee, some high schooler who was doing something on his phone. It would be so easy to get him out of the way possibly with his life intact. Baekhyun walked into the store and directly up to the counter.

“Hello, sir how can I help you?” The young employee said with a smile. He was short with blond hair and a big smile. His name card read Woozi. What kind of ing name is that? Whatever. He looked impressionable.

“You are going to go into the back room and lock the door. You will not leave until someone comes and gets you” Baekhyun said, the force flowing easily off his tongue. Woozi’s eyes glazed over momentarily as his mind was overpowered.

“I’m gonna go into the back and lock the door. I’ll come out when someone comes for me” He said in a flat tone. Baekhyun nodded in affirmation. Woozi turned around and left, locking the door. Baekhyun felt the small lump in his throat every time he forced someone innocent to do something. At least this time, Woozi would get out alive and unharmed, probably.

Baekhyun picked a lollipop off the counter and unwrapped it, putting it in his mouth. He quickly locked the front of the store and pulled out his lightsaber, spinning it around in his hand. He liked the feel of it, the tassel at the end wasn’t his idea but it affected the balance in a way that he liked. He secretly hoped he wouldn’t have to use it that night, but he knew whatever T told him to do he would do.

As he was walking a wave of exhaustion hit him. It had been about a week since he had had a proper night’s sleep, well, proper by his standards which was about 5 hours. The past week he averaged about 45 minutes a night. He was utterly beat. He hoped that this would be his last job for a while and he could rest, at least until hit the fan.

His phone started to ring and he answered without saying anything. She knew he would pick up, she knew she would just say the word and he would do whatever she asked. She knew too much.

“You know what you have to do. I’m trusting you on this one sweetie.” She said in the sweet voice that didn’t match her personality. Baekhyun didn’t respond; he didn’t need to. He lowered the phone from his ear and threw it as hard as he could into the nearest display, shattering it and sending chips flying.

** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** 

Oh Sehun sighed and clenched his jaw. He quickly walked out of the large building and ran a hand through his hair. He needed a drink.

He mounted his bike and put on his helmet, smiling to himself at the hum of his motorcycle. He loved how smoothly it felt under him, the feeling that it could take him anywhere, however on this particular night it was going to take him to the nearest bar.

The nearest bar was actually quite a ways away but with how his last meeting had gone he was almost grateful for the distance from his hometown. The city zipped past him and he contemplated seeing how far he could get away, he could go to the launch station, find a ship headed to another planet, he could go far far away and not have to deal with anything.

He saw the exit sign for the airport and almost took it, but something kept him grounded, probably because you couldn’t get alcohol on off planet flights. The next exit led to a tiny part of town, run down, unassuming. Just what he needed.

He found a pub and parked his bike, locking it up. He looked in the rearview mirror to make sure his helmet hadn’t ed up his blond hair and shoved his hands in his pockets to walk inside. This was a “no lightsaber” bar, those were rare. Sehun sadly handed his light saber to the bouncer. It was stupid of them to collect them, though, if anything were to happen he could just use the force to summon it from the little bin behind the bar which housed all the sabers. Sehun saw his was the only one. Good, he didn’t want to deal with any more Jedi ever if he had the option.

He sat at the bar and got a drink.

** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** 

Kim Jongin could never sleep alone. If he was alone he slept in the bathtub, it was easier for him. The bathtub gave him a sense of security, it was hard and cold, small, and he could curl up and feel safe. This time, he didn’t even have the energy to change into more comfortable clothes. He had almost lost, his arm was bleeding, and his head had a scrape.

He had done basic first aid on himself but he knew that when…he knew that it wasn’t as good as it could have been. He curled up and put his head on his knees. He managed to doze off for a couple of hour’s maybe, it might have only been a few moments. He could never really tell anymore, sleep was sleep though and he took what he could get.

He stood up and stretched out his limbs, sleeping in the tub was comforting but it wasn’t easy on his joints. He cracked his back and rolled his neck around as he made his way to the sink to wash his face.

The man in the mirror was someone Kim Jongin barely knew. The pink hair, the puffy lips, the tired eyes. He didn’t want to keep looking but he had become transfixed by his reflection. The only thing that startled him out of it was the sound of the door opening.

He glanced out of the bathroom to the hotel room, the way it was set up though prevented him from seeing the door. The door closed slowly. Jongin went on alert, ready to get his lightsaber and fight. The footsteps were soft and familiar.

“Jonginah? Are you here?” A soft voice called out. Jongin almost started crying at the sound of it.

“Yes, I’m in the bathroom.” He said, waiting for his heart to calm down, “I forgot I had given you a key.”

Taemin walked up, he was still in his uniform, his hair was messy from his helmet and his face had dirt on it. He smiled when he saw Jongin and somehow Jongin managed to return the smile. Taemin was older but shorter and his uniform never managed to fit him right, he looked like a little kid.

“Jongin what happened to your face?” Taemin stepped forward and reached up a hand to push Jongin’s hair out of his face and look at the blood. Jongin reached up and covered Taemin’s hand with his own.

“Don’t worry about it.” He said softly, kissing Taemin’s hand. Taemin looked at him with a face full of worry and Jongin wanted nothing more than for him to smile again.

“Look at your arm, did you bandage yourself up?” Taemin lifted Jongin’s sleeve and looked at the dressing. Jongin sighed,

“Yes but it hurts so please don’t touch it. You’re a mess too, here” Jongin reached up and grabbed a washcloth, “wash your face.” He handed it to Taemin and walked past him to the mini fridge. Taemin sighed but proceeded to wash his face and his hand. Jongin saw his helmet on the chair in the corner.

Taemin must have come straight there after he got back. “When did you get back?” Jongin asked. Taemin stepped out of the bathroom with half his uniform off.

“Do you have pants I could borrow? I just got back” He said, going to Jongin’s luggage. He pulled out a pair of pants and put them on quickly, abandoning the idea of a shirt. “Soojung said she would be back around morning,” Taemin informed him. Jongin nodded.

“Are you hungry?” Jongin asked. Taemin shook his head and flopped down onto the bed, reaching out to Jongin, “sleepy?” Jongin asked, a slow smile spreading on his face. Taemin nodded and continued extending his hand.

Jongin smiled and crawled into the bed, wrapping his arm around Taemin and pulling him close. Taemin smiled into Jongin’s chest.

“I missed you.” He said quietly, “and I’m still worried about your arm. Can I redress it in the morning?”

“Yes you can” Jongin mumbled, already falling asleep, comforted by Taemin’s presence. “I missed you too” he said.

They didn’t’ get to be this close often so when they were they both milked up the simple joy of their company. Jongin thought about what he would have to do in the morning ad felt his heart rate increase.

That was tomorrow. He told himself, Right now, he was safe. He was with Taemin. They both managed to get a solid six hours of sleep that night.

** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** 

When Baekhyun was finished throwing things around in the store he went to the fridge and took out a bottle of water, not caring that it was dripping down his chin and neck as he drank. He was overcome again with exhaustion and found himself sitting on the cold floor leaning against the freezers. His saber was on the floor next to him but not in his hand. His head was bowed. He would sit for a few more seconds then get up and leave. Someone was probably going to come soon and he didn’t want to forget about Woozi locked up in the closet.

He had reached the point of exhaustion where time wasn’t real anymore and he had no ability to tell how much time had passed before the lights started flickering dangerously. He didn’t react quickly, partially because he knew he could if he needed to and partially because he was tired. He did, however, reach for his saber. The lights changed color, bathing him in a red glow.

“Byun Baekhyun” A deep voice chuckled. Baekhyun looked up and saw a cloaked figure standing in the isle.

“Kris.” He responded simply, he realized quickly what was going on. The man in front of him had many names but the one they knew him as was Kris, an enemy to SM and everything they stood for. He must have a hand in this. Baekhyun still looked relaxed but his grip on his saber tightened.

“I’m surprised to see you here.” Kris was still hooded, Baekhyun could tell he had his saber though and was ready for a fight.

“Oh?” Baekhyun took another sip of water.

“Where is Woozi?”

“In the closet. He’s safe.”

“I was surprised to see you here because I would have thought this mission would be too…insignificant for you. Unless T is mad at you again.” Kris smirked. Baekhyun didn’t flinch.

“Well we have our disagreements, but-“

“You will always be her little ” Baekhyun didn’t disagree, “Anyways I’m assuming you did what you had to do here so I’m gonna give you thirty seconds to leave before I take care of you.”

“You know I can beat you in a fight, Kris,” Baekhyun said, they both know that was a lie. Kris laughed.

“Oh, I wasn’t going to fight you Baekhyun. I called the cops. A rouge Jedi with an unregistered saber vandalizing an innocent convenience store. What would T say if she had to come bail you out?” Kris turned with too much flourish and walked out. Baekhyun heard sirens and swore.

He stood up and ran outside but remembered he had left Woozi inside the store. He turned back and unlocked the door, allowing the teen to stumble out. “You never saw me here,” Baekhyun said,

“I never saw you here” Woozi repeated obediently. Baekhyun felt another pang of guilt. Woozi looked pale, the weak minded bastard. He pushed that thought out of his head as the sirens got closer.

He rushed out of the store hoping he made it but there were already cars surrounding the place. “PUT YOUR HANDS IN THE AIR AND DROP YOUR WEAPON” A voice shouted over a megaphone. Baekhyun looked around for an escape, “WE HAVE YOU SURROUNDED” A man about his height walked forward pointing a gun directly at Baekhyun. “DROP YOUR WEAPON” he glanced around, there were at least six more cops pointing guns at him. He saw Kris across the street watching.

“And if I don’t?” Baekhyun asked the cop right in front of him.

“Don’t try me, buddy.” The cop responded.

“Buddy. Cute.” Baekhyun still hadn’t budged. If T had to bail him out, again, she was not going to be happy. He would have preferred fighting Kris. “I prefer the nickname Sport, or y but only if we are in bed.”

“Just drop your weapon and get on the ground” The cop sounded tired.

“Fine fine fine.” Baekhyun tossed his lightsaber at the cop, gently using the force to guide it into the cop’s hand.

“Tassel. Classy.” He didn’t miss the sarcasm. When did cops get personalities?

“Well you know, gotta stay up with the times,” Baekhyun said,

“Now on your knees” The cop hadn’t lowered his gun and was taking a step forward.

“Damn, usually when guys ask that I, at least, know his name first but okay"

“Now”

“Alright alright calm down don’t get your in a twist” Baekhyun put his hands above his head and slowly lowered himself to the ground. The cop put his gun away and came up quickly, cuffing Baekhyun.

As soon as the handcuffs were in place Baekhyun felt a surge of pain through his whole body as if he was being set on fire from the inside. It only lasted a second, but he still cried out and collapsed. “What the ?”

“Like them? They prevent you from using the force.” The cop grabbed Baekhyun’s arm and lifted him to his feet roughly. Baekhyun groaned, he felt heavy and empty at the same time, he decided he didn’t like this feeling at all. The cop shoved him into the back of one of the squad vehicles and got in the front seat. As they drove away Baekhyun saw Kris smiling at him and knew he had already told T. There was no way Baekhyun was getting out of this completely intact.

** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** 

Sehun had just enough whiskey to make it unsafe to drive, but not enough to forget his problems. He laid his head on the counter, sadly forcing peanuts through his lips.

“Long day sweetie?” The bartender was cute sure, but she wasn’t his type. He wasn’t even phased by her chest or the way she laced her tone with the opportunity to ‘forget his problems’. Most bartenders moonlighted as es, especially on this planet, but Sehun wasn’t interested in that night.

He ignored her and sat up, a bad feeling had crept into him. He looked around but nothing seemed off. He reached out to summon his saber nonetheless. Before he could get it through a hand was on his shoulder and a voice was whispering in his ear.

“Follow me.” Sehun didn’t recognize the voice but he was also drunk, almost too drunk to think clearly. He staggered up and almost fell over, leaning into the person. They put money on the counter and grabbed his saber on the way out.

As soon as the cold air hit him Sehun began to sober. He looked at the person who had ushered him out. “Hello, Sehun.” It was a girl, and he did know her. They had trained together years ago but now she was working for the light and he was on the dark side. A true tragedy.

“Krystal. What do you want?”

“I have a job for you”

“No.” He turned around but she grabbed his arm and spun him around. Even though she was shorter than him she was still intimidating. Her hair was long and red, it flowed around her face and shoulders. She wore an eyepatch but he knew it was just for dramatic effect. She was beautiful. Sehun felt dizzy.

“You’re drunk” She noted with a scoff. “And this wasn’t a yes or no question.”

“I’m not working for the light side anymore,” Sehun said, more bitterly than he intended.

“Listen I know ever since-I know you want out. I’m not asking for the Jedi order. This is a …freelance thing.”

“No” Sehun started walking towards where he thought he parked his bike. She walked up and put her arm through his.

“You have two options right now Sehun, either you agree to do this job, I give you your saber back, and we work together just for a bit, or you refuse to do this job-“

“I choose that one-“

“-I don’t give you your saber back and I take you directly to the order so they can have fun with you. It’s been so long since they’ve had a real sith to deal with they would have a field day.” Sehun stopped and shook her away. He was too drunk to deal with her.

“What type of job?” He asked slowly so he wouldn’t slur his words.

“I need a bodyguard.” She said simply.

“You, need a bodyguard?”

“Not me, but someone I work for does, or rather, my boss’s boss needs a body guard.”

“Who is that?”

“I can’t say until you take it. But very high profile.”

“This isn’t for the order? I don’t want to guard a knight. Or any Jedi to be honest.”

“He isn’t a Jedi. He just needs a friend.” She said smiling,

“Would you pay me?”

“I thought that protection from the order would be payment enough.”

“I can evade the order myself. I need something else.”

“What?” Krystal leaned against a mailbox, crossing her arms.

“I want a ship”

“No.”

“It doesn’t need to be fancy, I need off planet and I can’t go without a ship.”

“Fly commercial. Do the sith not have frequent flier miles?”

“No commercial aircraft goes where I need to go.”

“And where is that?” Krystal cocked her head to the side. Sehun almost told her but thankfully the cold air was sobering him.

“None of your business. It doesn’t have anything to do with the order or whatever crusade you are on right now. Just promise me a ship and fuel.”

“Fine.” Krystal tossed his saber at him, “I’ll be in touch” She turned and sauntered away, leaving him alone in the street.

** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** 

Jongin woke up before Taemin, slowly opening his eyes and smiling at the sight of his companion. He was sleeping softly, his black hair falling in his face. He slept on his side, his hands were clutching the covers near Jongin. He looked so peaceful, so beautiful. Jongin brushed a strand of hair out of Taemin’s eyes and kissed his forehead softly before getting out of bed and dressing as quietly as he could.

He put on an eggshell turtleneck and slicked back his hair, he knew it would be a long day. The door opened and Krystal walked in, Jongin put a finger to his lips and nodded towards Taemin. Krystal nodded and walked up quietly to give Jongin a hug.

“You smell like booze.” Jongin commented.

“Good to see you too.” She retorted. They both smiled. Krystal started rummaging through Jongin’s suitcases and found an oversized shirt which she quickly changed into, washing her face in the sink. “I’m going to bed.” She said, kissing Jongin’s cheek, “Be safe with whatever you’re doing today.” Jongin smiled and ruffled her hair.

She carefully crawled in bed next to Taemin and in his sleep he clung to her, like a moth to light Taemin was to Krystal or Jongin. She also brushed the hair out of his eyes and smiled. Jongin wished he could get back in bed with them, he wished he didn’t have to go, but he had received a call from a police station that they had an unregistered Jedi and he was closest to the town they had him in and duty called.

Jongin went to the bathroom once more time and when he came out Krystal had fallen asleep. He wrote a note to them and left it on the mirror before grabbing his bag and leaving with a heavy heart.