Friday cold.

Rock Bottom

It was friday night, and the air was friday cold.

Friday nights have always been Moon Byul's favorite, the bustling people going about to celebrate the end of a stressful week oddly satisfies and relaxes her mind. She sat in her usual bench facing the mirror-like river reflecting the lights from the bridge over it, a cigarette tucked between her fingers, its light consuming almost half of the cancer stick. The water was calm, unmoving, as if it was sleeping while the whole city is awake. She smiled a little at that - realizing how everyone, including her, have had the same routine and how they never get tired of doing it over and over again.

 
Moon Byul looked down on her silver wrist watch, its hands pointing at quarter to seven in the evening. Taking note of the time, she lift her head and focused her eyes on the pathway just a few steps away from her. A small smile broke from her lips when she saw the familiar running shoes. She had been noticing the girl a couple of times now, at exactly quarter to seven in the evening in her running shoes and running clothes. Moon Byul would be lying if she would say it wasn't the exposed abs that got her noticing the girl the first time she saw her jogging there, sweat trailing down her delicate neck.
 
The girl was petite, her hair tied in a lose ponytail just like in those other nights. She had black running clothes - last week it was a combination of pink and black - which Moon Byul found so y on the stranger. The girl is walking now, which surprised Moon Byul since she had never seen the girl stop to admire the calm river, nor slowed down as she pass by this part of the park. Tonight though, she stopped to look at the river, much to Moon Byul's delight. That gave her more time to watch the girl (although, she must admit, it's a little creepy) because she reminds her a lot of Solar.
 
The girl moved from her position and Moon Byul thought she was going to continue her jog when suddenly she turned around and walked towards Moon Byul before sitting down on the bench just beside Moon Byul's. There was a little smile on the girl's face and a dimple on one cheek as her head bobbed to whatever was playing on her earphones.
 
Moon Byul may have stared a little longer because she noticed that the girl was glancing at her, obviously uncomfortable at the attention. With a shake of her head, Moon Byul turned to look forward, deciding to just watch the river instead, but immediately regretting it; because walking in the pathway was Solar and her fiancé. She blinked once, twice, then thrice to make sure her brain wasn't making up scenarios. That she's not just "seeing things" because she miss Solar. No, it was real. They were real. And they were... happy. Solar laughed along with her fiancé as he wrapped an arm around her. Solar's laughter disturbed what peace friday night had given Moon Byul. Solar's laughter was like strong wind blowing straight toward Moon Byul's eyes as she felt them watering. Solar's laughter made Moon Byul's heart flutter, then break as the fiancé stopped to kiss Solar. Solar's laughter faded in the background of the thud Moon Byul's cigarette created as it slipped between her fingers. Solar's laughter haunt the air of friday night.
 
It was friday night, and Moon Byul's heart is friday cold.