In the park

Kiss it better
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

The day of her graduation came. I wore a suit and tie which I’ve never worn for many years.  Her family was there. I watched how happy they were. They looked at Dara with all proudness. She was wearing her black toga. She looks so... “Beautiful, isn’t she?” I got startled. I looked at my back and saw my dad. “Appa! Geez.. . you scared me.” He laughed. I stared at him as he cheerfully observed Dara, too.  “I’m going to invite them to a thanks giving dinner at our house.” He said. I got startled by what he said.  “But dad, it’s best to give them some time to celebrate. I mean... You know... She’s been working hard to reach this stage in her life.” I said. “You’re right, son. But, Dara is family, too.” He looked at me with a smirk on his face. “You’re plotting something, aren’t you?” I said and I watched how his smirk widened. I sighed. I looked at him again and said “There’s nothing I can do to stop you, isn’t there?” He looked at me and replied, “No, son. Unfortunately...” He started to walk towards them and spoke with them. It was a sight to see. My mother arrived and approached my dad. He made a gesture and called me to join them as he ceremony is about to start.

 

My father arranged a small celebration for Dara. Though, she already refused him to do so. But ‘begged’ should be the right word for it. Dara’s friends and co-workers were there. I invited a few of my close friends as well as unnie Chaerin was there as well. Everyone enjoyed the party. We held a mini-concert and we made sure we were singing Dara’s favorite songs. I could see here happiness as if she was having a private concert. After the whole fiasco, we bid our friends adieu. I started talking to Dara’s parents and made sure they had enjoyed the party as well. They were too formal towards me. I made sure that they had a good impression on me. I wanted to let them see me as a person not with power and money but a man who loved their daughter. My dad called out to us to have a small cup of tea before we retire for the night. I’ve already made arrangment to have Dara, and her family, stay at a hotel for a week. We settled in the round dining  table. Dara sat beside her parents and I sat beside my father.

 

“Thank you Mr and Mrs Park for joing us today.” Dad said. They nodded in response.

“I understand that today was indeed a very busy and tiring day. But, I wanted to make sure that I would be able to get Dara’s consent as well as yours for this proposition that I am about to give.” He said with his usual business-like manner.

I straightened my back. I started to sweat and get nervous. I wondered what proposition would he be offering to Dara and her parents. I glanced over to Dara’s side and I saw her eyes widened. She was uneasy.

My father continued. “I would like to offer with your consent,” and looked Dara, “that I will be hiring you as an apprentise in my company.” I heared a gasp. I’m not sure who it was. I was too busy staring at my dad as I tried to process the news.

“What do you mean about hiring her as an apprentise?” I heard Mr. Park asked.

“We will be opening a pioneer branch in this city. We needed a team of expertise to have this whole process be managed well. This is indeed a very big project. Clearly, my son has no interest in business but I saw Dara had a great deal of potential and I am needing her help.” He said. I finally looked at Dara and she was silent. She looked down in deep thought.

My father added, “Dara,” she looked  at him, “you are not ob

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter