Arranged Marriages

One

Fifteen Years Later

Jinki, Minjung, Jonghyun, Gwiboon 50 / Taemin, Jongin 47

Yunho, Jaejoong, Siwon 78  /  Hee 79  /  Donghae, Eunha 77

Changmin 29 / Junsu 27 / Sehun 26 / Jinri 25 / Yoochun 23 / Minah 21 /  Amber + Junghee  25.5

~~~~~~~

 

“Gwiboonie, I have aual babies,” Minjung wails to her best friend who is busy blowing on her nails to dry her nail paint.

“What do you mean babies? All of them are in their twenties, Minnie. And there is nothing wrong with your angels. I want my Amber and Junghee to be more like them. They have been through 35 boyfriends between the two of them,” Gwiboon scowls at the memory of the last boy who had whimpered as Junghee recounted all his faults and labelled him a bad boyfriend before breaking up unceremoniously, just after dating him a total of four times.

“I have six kids, counting Sehunnie, and not one of them has shown the slightest interest in any one, of the opposite or same gender. You are lucky you at least have a chance to get son-in-laws. I am not sure if any of mine will ever marry,” Minjung puts her head on Gwiboon’s shoulder and moans.

“Dearest Minnie, grass is always greener on the side. Count yourself lucky,” Gwiboon shrugs off her complaining friend. “You have no idea how many times I had to calm down Jonghyunnie from making a mincemeat of the boys that hover around our girls. And that is not counting the dark aura Dad gives off if any of the boyfriends attends our family events.”

Minjung thinks it over and nods her head, “Yes, Jonghyun and Uncle Siwon do glower the whole time. Uncle Hae is really sweet and keeps asking the boys to have more food.”

Gwiboon snorts, “Not sweet, Minnie, a little slow to catch up. By the time he realizes he is feeding his granddaughters’ new boyfriends, the meal is over and he spends the rest of the time trying to get into Dad’s good books again.”

Minjung laughs, “You can’t blame him, Gwiboonie. Amber and Junghee do change boyfriends very frequently. I don’t think the same boy has attended any of our parties more than once. Uncle Hae keeps assumes whoever the new boyfriends are to be my boys’ friends.”

“Losers!” Gwiboon purses her lips. “How could they have dated so many losers? Do they have a loser radar? Why can’t they find good steadfast boys like your brood?”

Minjung squawks like mother hen, “Don’t say that. My boys consider them like sisters. If they even look at them wrongly, both Jinki and Jonghyun will tear them apart.”

“Ha!” Gwiboon pauses in her sarcasm when Jinki and Jonghyun enter the restaurant, together, to join them.

“What has you snorting like a fire dragon, Gwiboonie?” Jinki pecks his wife on her lips and sits down next to her.

Jonghyun hugs his wife and occupies the chair next to her, opposite Jinki, before protesting, “Don’t call my wife names.”

Minjung shakes her head in negative but Gwiboon ignores her to explain, “I was wondering why Amber and Junghee do not date one of your boys, Jingles?”

“No, I am going to lock them up in their rooms and throw away the key. I will not allow them to date anymore,” Jonghyun is quick to refuse. Gwiboon swats her husband’s arm to stop his protests and when he turns puppy eyes at her she rubs his back to calm him.

Jinki watches his friends in silence. He looks at his wife to find her staring back at him with her eyes all round and wide in surprise. He is certain, it is not her brainchild to get their kids dating. He takes a few more moments to compose his thoughts before asking Gwiboon, “Hmm, which ones do you have in mind?”

Gwiboon grins at him, “At the moment, I wouldn’t mind any of them. Even Yoochun, who is younger to the girls, will do.” Jonghyun violently shakes his head. He glares at his wife and flexes his muscles hidden under his office suit.

Jinki leans and quietly whispers in Minjung’s ear, “Baby, I don’t mind. Amber and Junghee are lovely girls. And none of our boys have shown any interest in anyone till now. But it’s your choice.” Minjung looks at her husband and thinks over his words. Gwiboon watches her best friend with baited breath. Jonghyun is equally tense, uncertain whether to be upset about the discussion or be happy that at last he will be rid of the useless frogs his princesses keep finding.

Jinki puts his hand on his wife’s thigh and gives it a soft squeeze, letting her know he trusts her judgement. Minjung takes another look at her smiling husband and takes a deep breath before facing her friend, “Changmin and Junsu, as they are the eldest at 29 and 27.” When Gwiboon begins to smile, Minjung puts her palm up in warning, “But, let me warn you. Ming does not suffer fools gladly. And Sui has a tendency to live in his own world sometimes. But, both are excellent businessmen and will inherit different businesses from their father. They need strong wives to love and support them.”

Jonghyun bursts out before Gwiboon can respond, “No, my princesses are too young to marry. They are only 25, small babies. Your boys will have to wait till they are 30. No, no. I think 40 will be the right time for them to marry. Yes, your boys will have to wait till my princesses are 40.” Gwiboon immediately swats her husband on his shoulder, again. Jinki leans over the table and raps his knuckles on Jonghyun’s head.

While Jonghyun rubs his head, Gwiboon scolds him, “How can you do that to your own daughters? Which father in his right mind wants his daughters to be old maids of 40 before they marry? Let me tell Mom and Mama Eunha. They will beat some sense into you with their frying pans.”

Jonghyun whimpers, “No, don’t tell Mom and Mama Hee. Last time they hit me, I was in pain for a week.” When her husband cowers at the thought of his mother and mother-in-law hitting him, Gwiboon sits back in satisfaction certain that he will not interfere any more with her match-making.

She smiles at Minjung and Jinki, “Yes, Changmin and Junsu are excellent choice.” She ignores Jonghyun’s pitiful whimper at the thought of losing his princesses. “Though Junghee is younger by half hour, she gets along better with Ming. And Amber will be just right for Sui. She is practical and will balance out his tendency to get lost in his dream world. What do you think?”

“I think it’s wrong,” Jonghyun responds before his friends can. “Don’t frown at me, sweetheart, think about it from my point of view. How can I hand over my princesses to Ming and Sui? How can I be sure they will be treated like princesses? What if Ming is snarky all the time and breaks my Junghee’s heart with his mean comments? What if Sui loves someone else in his head and has not told any of us? Amber is a bit of a tomboy. What if Sui does not like it and asks her to change? Amber may dress as a man, but she has a tender, sensitive heart. No, no, they cannot marry anyone and live a life in pain. Only you and I can love them the way they deserve.” He turns his teary eyes to his wife as he entreats her to understand him.

“Dino face, I am very upset with you right now,” Jinki rebukes his best friend. When Jonghyun looks at him in surprise, Jinki clarifies, “How can you think so little of our upbringing? Ming and Sui are our boys. We have brought them up well. Do you honestly believe that there is any other family out there who will treat Amber and Junghee better than us? Love them more than us?” When Jonghyun speechlessly shakes his head, Jinki adds, “If Amber or Junghee shed even one sad tear, Papa Jae and Dad will raise hell. That is not to mention what Minnie and I will do to our boys for hurting the girls.”

Minjung’s rubs his arm to calm him, but Jinki shakes his head at her in sadness. He looks at Jonghyun straight in the eyes and continues grimly, “Lee Jonghyun, for the first time in our friendship, you have hurt me. I had no idea that you thought so little of my sons and family. Our family is founded on love and sacrifices for each other’s happiness. I am seriously hurt, Jonghyun.” He looks at his friends staring at him mutely in shock and stands up, “Excuse me, I will be back.” When Minjung stands up to accompany him, he pushes her shoulder to keep her seated, “I need to visit the washroom.”

When Jinki disappears from view, Minjung stares sadly at Jonghyun who, in the meantime, has steadily turned paler at his best friend’s pain-filled words. Never in their fifty years of friendship has he seen Jinki upset with him before. He looks at Gwiboon for consolation, only to find her staring daggers at him with her lips tightly compressed. He quickly scrambles after his best friend to make amends for his ill-considered words.

He finds Jinki pacing outside the bathroom and back-hugs him, “I am sorry. In love for my daughters, I forgot to whom I was speaking. I can never think badly of anyone in your family. I helped in the delivery of all your children. Please forgive me, my friend. I lost my head for a moment. I am just a stupid dino.”

Jinki turns around and hugs him back, “Yes, you are stupid. But, you are also my best friend and I am stuck with your stupidity for life. Amber and Junghee are as precious to me as Jinri and Minah. Think, Jonghyun, who can love them more than us?”

Jonghyun chokes in his friend’s arms, “I don’t want them to leave me. The house will be so empty without them. I don’t want them to marry anyone. I want them to stay with me forever. It’s not fair that daughters get married and move away. You have so many children, why do you want my daughters also? I cannot live without them.” By now, he is sobbing miserably.

Jinki rubs his back and tries to comfort him, “You will survive the same way Uncle Siwon and Aunt Hee did when Gwiboon married you. You will survive the same way Minjung and I will when Jinri and Minah marry. You will live like we did after giving Sehun to Tae and Jongin. To let your children go is the cycle of life, my friend. We all live through it. Just think how often you are at our place? Almost daily. Because when Gwiboon and Aunt Eunha don’t cook dinner, which is usually the case, everyone gathers at our dining table only. Why are you so miserly that you cannot buy furniture large enough to accommodate my family?”

Jonghyun sniffles, “I am not a miser. I see no reason to waste good money when you have a house and furniture big enough for all of us. Who told you to have so many children? Sane people stop at one or two. Minjung must have turned your brain to mush.” He slaps his friend’s head.

“Don’t blame my Minnie,” Jinki smiles, “We can’t help it if our babies kept getting stolen by Papa Jae, Dad and Tae. You are lucky no one claimed your twins and let you enjoy 25 years with them. But, my friend all good things sometimes come to an end. Minnie and I have decided to end your monopoly on your girls. Either you agree peacefully or we will hogtie you and put you in a corner and make you watch the wedding from afar.”

Jonghyun has stopped crying by now and snorts derisively at Jinki, “You and which army? You are still the same idiotic bully of our teenage. As my best friend, can’t you see beyond my objections and know I am happy I will not have to chase away any more boyfriends? What kind of a best friend are you to make me cry? Jingles, you are a horrible friend. I am sure I will be better friend to you when Jinri and Minah decide to marry.”

“I think Minnie is ready to advertise to find boyfriends for them. The worst thing is they have their grandfathers’ support. Every time they turn down a confession, those two old and completely crazy men gift them with whatever they want. Jinri is already the owner of one modelling agency and Minah is learning her way up in another. Frankly, they show no interest in any boy at all. Could it be that they are interested in girls?” Jinki has his own set of daughters-related problems to share with his friend.

Jonghyun rubs his chin and shakes his head, “No, I have not heard any rumors about their love interest in anyone. Could it be that they are aual?” He begins to whine again, “Why are you so lucky to have aual kids? Why did mine have to begin dating non-stop?”

Jinki walks his friend back to their table, “I think my kids are confused. With gay grandfathers and uncle, and so many siblings, none of them quite know which uality to adopt. Maybe it is Minnie’s strict academic discipline. Do you think we did not give our kids enough time to explore their uality?”

They were seated in their chairs by this time and their wives smiled in relief seeing them talk as usual. Jinki picked up Minjung’s hand and placed a kiss at the back of it. Jonghyun kissed Gwiboon’s neck who answered Jinki for him, “Jingles, Ming is too interested in food for any girl to tolerate the competition. Most girls see only money when they see him and it turns him totally off. He has complained of it often enough to Junghee.”

Minjung smiles at the mention of her first-born, “I am so glad that Junghee knows to cook well. Ming loves the food she prepares. We will have absolutely no difficulty getting him to marry her. Sui, I am not sure.”

“Sui is as pretty as Amber. They will make a good match. Both smile non-stop. Put them in the most awkward situations and they will smile their way out of it,” Gwiboon is confident of her newly found match-making skills.

“When do we announce this?” Minjung asks Jinki.

Gwiboon interrupts before Jinki can answer, “Are Tae and Jongin back from Japan?”

Minjung nods, “But Sehun is still in China. Jinki when will he return? I miss his smiles around the house.”

“We can announce the wedding plans next week when Sehun returns for Jinri’s birthday.” Jinki responds happily, eager to see his son after many long months. “He has done a good job setting up our Shanghai offices.”

Jonghyun winces on hearing this, “Don’t remind me, please. Why did you have four sons, while we have none? Both Dad and Papa Hae are upset with me for not giving them grandsons to help run their business, like yours do.” He bangs his head lightly on the table, “Is it my fault that all the female raced ahead of the male ones?” Other three laugh on hearing his complaint.

“Ignore them, Jonghyunnie, they are old fashioned. Amber and Junghee are more than capable of succeeding them. And their husbands can help the two if needed,” Gwiboon plans proudly on behalf of their daughters. Jinki and Minjung nod in agreement.

Minjung suddenly grins, “That’s two down and four to go. My babies have hope.”

Her announcement meets with laughter from others and Jonghyun orders Champagne to celebrate the new bond of their friendship.