Mother Knows Best

Forever Mesmerized

Hello dear dear readers!! It has been a long time that I've updated and I apologize for that. Between college and work and trying to have a social life, I've been buried in work.

I've been going on Junah withdrawal. I know Beast is busy with their World Tour and 4Minute is getting ready for comeback but why can't they spare us a Junah moment?? Aish.

Anyway this one-shot is inspired by that article about how Junhyung's father approves of Hara. This is my best attempt (failed) to give it a Junah spin. I hope you guys wil enjoy it and it'll be like a drop of rain in this Junah drought.

 

Mother Knows Best
Summary: Just because Papa Yong is team Hara doesn’t Mama Yong is. After all, doesn’t a mother know best?

 

Six exhausted boys dragged their foot inside their dorms, their eyes heavy and their shoulders sagging. After a hectic schedule that included a whirlwind world tour, recording random variety shows, going into studio to record several new tracks, they were just completely worn out.

The familiar sight of their dorms greeted the Beast boys as they entered, not minding to keep things neat and tidy by opting to throw their stuff all over the floor. The maknae let out a huge groan before diving face-first onto the hardwood floor.

“Ugh!” Dongwoon moaned. “I’m so tired. I can just fall asleep right here.”

“Seems like you already are.” Yoon leader teased before joining the maknae. “Ah, the floor feels so good.”

“Anything feels better than the uncomfortable airplane seats. I’m so sick of them. I swear I’m becoming claustrophobic just being on so many of them.” Hyunseung complained, exaggerating as always.

“Here.” Kikwang handed each of them a water bottle, before taking a seat next to Junhyung on the floor. “At least there’s no other schedule for us today. I just want to sleep in.”

“And do nothing.”

“Pig out!”

“Play games!”

“Sleep. Sleep first!” Junhyung mumbled, before putting his head back down on the floor.

Smiling at Junhyung, the rest of the boys relaxed again when a door bell interrupted their short relaxing moment.

They all looked up, confused at who could be at the door.

“Um, is Hara supposed to be coming or something?” Doojoon asked Junhyung.

“No.” Junhyung replied, before putting his head back down, uninterested.

“Dongwoon, get the door.” Doojoon ordered.

“Why me?” Dongwoon whined, kicking his legs in the air.

“You’re the maknae. Go!” Doojoon repeated.

Dongwoon got up, muttering under his breath. He had a few choice words for his lazy hyungs. He, grudgingly, walked over to the door and opened it.

 

“SURPRISE!!” shouts came from the other side of the door as Dongwoon opened it. surprised, Dongwoon jumped a few steps back, only to be bombarded with hugs and kisses by several women. The rest of Beast all sat up, shocked and curious about all the noises that were happening in the hallways.

“Umma!” Yoseob was the first to get up and ran into his mother’s arms.

After seeing their mothers, Beast got up immediately; ready to greet the most important woman in their lives.

“Wow! This is daebak!” Kikwang smiled, his eyes disappearing into a small line. “What are you doing here?”

“Well, we knew that you boys will be getting back today so we, your loving mothers, wanted to surprise you and cook you a delicious home cooked meal.” Kikwang’s mom explained, still holding onto Kikwang.

“Really?” Yoseob’s eyes widened in happiness. “Because I was just telling everyone that I wanted to pig out. Oh umma, you really know me the best.” He said, jumping up and down.

“We know you boys have been working really hard and you’ve been traveling non-stop.” Hyunseung’s mom said.

“And we haven’t seen you boys in a long time and I’m sure you guys are tired of eating all these take out meals. Especially you Jaesoon, I’m sure you missed umma’s famous potatoes pancakes.”

“Oooh, potatoes pancake? I love them.” Doojoon joined it. “Umma, you should make a lot for us.”

The mothers beamed in joy at the excitement of the boys.

“Come on ladies, looks like we have a lot of work to do in the kitchen.” Doojoon’s mom said, grabbing their massive bags of groceries that they brought.

“You boys take a rest in the living room and we’ll let you know when the food is ready.” Dongwoon’s mom said, gesturing the boys to living room.

 

As the moms got to cooking Beast’s favorite meals for them, Beast was in the living room, lounging around doing different things. Doojoon and Dongwoon were attempting to play soccer in the tiny space, Hyunseung and Kikwang were browsing through different magazines that they haven’t gotten a chance to look through, Yoseob was watching a movie on T.V while a drained Junhyung opted to take a nap in the corner.

After an hour, the food was finally ready for six starving boys. The moms set up the plates and called Beast over to set up the table in the living room.

“Oh I got it.” Doojoon grabbed the heavy table from Hyunseung’s mom before setting it in the middle of the living room.

“Joonie-ah.” Doojoon’s mother called. “Set up another table next to it.”

“Another one? This table is enough for 12 people.” Doojoon said, confused.

“Who said it’ll be just 12?” Kikwang’s mom said, smiling.

Just as she said that, another doorbell rang out.

 

“Hello! How are you?” Cheerful voices of 4minute filled the dorm as the five girls entered, immediately running to greet the mothers of Beast. After training for a long time together, 4Minute have became very close to the mothers of the six boys and vice versa.

“Ah, the girls are here.” Junhyung’s mom, Taehee, announced before enveloping them in a tight hug.

“Aneyong.” Hyuna greeted, before running into Taehee’s waiting arms.

“Ah Hyuna-yah. How are you?” Taehee replied warmly to the girl.

“Good. How about you? Are you living well?” Taehee nodded.

“Very well. Just following my schedule and training.” Hyuna replied.

“Hmm, that’s good. But be careful of your health Hyuna. Don’t overwork yourself. Ok?” Hyuna nodded. “Good, now come into the living room.”

“Umma, you called them? Great. Now they’re gonna eat all our food. Especially this one.” Doojoon complained, pointing to Gayoon.

Gayoon glared at him. “You are so lucky that your mom is here right now. Otherwise, I would’ve smack  you.”

“Oh Gayoon, don’t mind me. Smack Joonie all you want. After all, he deserves it.” Doojoon’s mom teased, laughing.

The girls burst out laughing. “Oh my god. I can’t even. Joonie? That is too funny.” Gayoon said, laughing hysterically.

“Yah!” Doojoon shouted.

“Ok ok. Just calm down. Let’s eat.” Hyunseung’s mom put the last plate of food on the table.

“Let’s eat!” Yoseob, Dongwoon and Hyunseung cheered.

“Wait, shouldn’t we wake up Junhyung-hyung?” Kikwang asked.

“Yes. I guess so.” Junhyung’s mom answered. She looked at Hyuna. “Hyuna dear, would you mind waking him up?”

Hyuna seemed surprise at her request. “Um..” she hesistated.

“Go on. Just wake him up and tell him that food’s ready.” Junhyung’s mom insisted. Hyuna nodded before walking over to Junhyung. The rest of Beast’s mothers smiled at Taehee knowingly.

 

 

“Oppa, I’m so glad that I’m with you.”

“This has been the best time of my life, being with you. I love you Hyuna.” Junhyung grinned so widely before leaning in to meet Hyuna’s lips. Suddenly Hyuna pulled apart and started shaking him.

“Oppa. Oppa.”

“Hmm? What?” Junhyung mumbled.

“Oppa. Oppa.” Hyuna shook him harder. Junhyung was confused as to why Hyuna keeps on shaking him.

“Hmm Hyuna. What’s wrong?” Junhyung asked, concerned.

“Oppa? Wake up!” Hyuna shook his shoulders. Junhyung slowly opened his eyes, groggy from his dreams of Hyuna when he suddenly saw Hyuna meeting his gaze. He snapped out of his daze quickly and sat up.

“Hyuna!” he shouted, surprised. “What are you doing here?” he asked confused whether he was dreaming about the kiss. The kiss. He groaned to himself. He was pretty sure that he just made a fool of himself in front of Hyuna.

“Your mother asked me to wake up you. Food’s ready.” Hyuna replied quickly and rejoined the rest of the group hastily. Judging by Hyuna’s reaction, Junhyung was pretty positive that Hyuna knew that he was dreaming about her.

He ran his fingers through his hair and placed his face in his palms, groaning.

 

“Jaesoon, come over here already. Don’t be such a sleepy-head.” His mom shouted, calling him over. He nodded and figured he might as well get it over with. Standing up, he yawned then made his way over to the table.

“Here, sit next to me.” his mom ordered, patting the empty seat next to her, which just coincidentally happened to be next to Hyuna. Total accident, it’s not like his mom planned it or anything. Riiight!

“Grilled eel. My favorite!” Yoseob cheered, taking a huge piece of eel.

“Yah, Yang Yoseob, save some for other people. It’s not just for you.” Yoseob’s mom scolded.

“It’s ok mom. Trust me. None of them like grilled eel.” Yoseob tried to defend himself.

“I like grilled eel.” Hyuna protested, teasing Yoseob which earned a merong from him.

“Oh you do Hyuna?” Hyunseung’s mom asked.

“Mhm.” Hyuna nodded. She was about to explain just how much when Junhyung answered for her.

“You should see her during summer. I swear she can eat like 2 whole eels a day by herself. I remember two summers ago when all she would eat was eel. Nothing else. I had to take her to the restaurant so many times, that the owner was thinking about dedicating a menu item in our name.” Junhyung explained, chuckling to himself at the memory.

Taehee looked at her son, eyebrows raised. “Oh, really? If I had known, I would have brought more eels.” Hyunseung’s mom said. “Next time.”

Hyuna smiled. “Thank you auntie.”

“Don’t forget. Gayoonie likes kimchi. That’s all she eats. In fact, we don’t have to give her any other kind of food now. Just put the kimchi in front of her.” Doojoon teased. Gayoon glared at Doojoon before stuffing a whole spoonful of kimichi in his mouth.

“That’s for making fun of me.” Gayoon smirked, enjoying the fact that Doojoon isn’t able to talk for the first time.

“Aish, you two are just like children I swear.” Jihyun said, trying to suppress her laughter at Doojoon trying to chew the mouthful of kimchi as fast as he can so he can retort.

Doojoon swallowed. “Yah Gayoonie, you know that’s the first time you fed me. Hehe. What? You think I’m your boyfriend or something? Aish?! I’m blushing.” Doojoon teased, making Gayoon slam her chopsticks down, fuming.

“Yah Yoon Doojoon, I wouldn’t date you if they paid me a million bucks!”

Doojoon smiled. “I know. I know. You would date me for free.” He sighed. “I guess I’m just that irresistible.”

“Yah!”

“All right you two.” Doojoon’s mom interrupted. “Doojoon, stop teasing her. You always like to .”

“That’s because she’s fun to tease. Her nostril flares really wide when she’s angry. Sometimes, I get scared that I might get in to it.” Everyone roared at Doojoon’s joke, except for Gayoon who looked like she wanted to chop Doojoon’s head off.

“All right. That was the last one. I promise.” Doojoon said, returning to his plate. Yoseob, on the other hand, was paying attention half-heartedly to the whole conversation. His attention was focused on the last piece of grilled eel  left on the plate. He had been eyeing it for five minutes now, debating whether to grab it and just stuff it down his throat. But he had taken a rather large piece earlier and he didn’t want to get scolded by his mom again.

‘Two more minutes.’ He thought to himself. ‘If no one grabs it in two minutes, that baby’s mine!’

His hope was shortlived, however, when a pair of chopstick grabbed his coveted grilled eel. He glanced up to see whom the chopstick belonged to so he can send a major round of glares to whomever that dared to steal his beloved eel.

Yong Junhyung.

He should’ve known. Junhyung, always getting in the way of Yoseob’s joy. Yoseob was about to glare the heck out of Junhyung when the rapper did something strange.

Instead of putting the piece of eel on his own plate, he placed it gently on the plate next to him. Kim Hyuna’s.

“Here. It’s the last piece.” Suddenly the urge to be mad at Junhyung disappeared for Yoseob. Now it was filled with surprise then  realization and dare he say, joy.

“Oh thanks Oppa.” Hyuna beamed, biting into the eel happily.

“I just thought you should have it before Yoseob had the chance to steal it.” Now the urge to glare at Junhyung was suddenly back again.

Yoseob  wasn’t the only one whose mind was in overdrive at the lunch. Tahee’s mind has been running nonstop since she arrived, or more specifically since 4minute arrived. By now, it was running so fast that she, herself, was having a hard time catching up.

She didn’t miss anything that went on between her son and a girl she had come to love as her daughter. She noticed the awkward look Hyuna had on her face when she was asked to wake Junhyung up. She noticed how her son shot up off the floor as soon as he saw Hyuna.

She noticed how he stiffened up every time Hyuna would talk to other Beast members, especially Hyunseung. Not that Taehee blamed him. After all, she has seen TroubleMaker promotions.

Also his eyes! When did they get so bright? In the past year, Junhyung have been inseparable with countless pairs of sunglasses, trying to hide his tired eyes. Where were they now? Where did all the exhaustion that was etched into her son’s eyes just a mere hours ago, where did they go and been replaced by the spark that were filling his eyes?

She also noticed the little things that Junhyung does for Hyuna like how he made sure her water glass was always full, that she got the last piece of eel, how he knew what she liked and making sure that those dishes were close to her. She will bet that her oblivious son doesn’t even know that he’s doing it. It all seems like natural actions that happened every day. And now she’s having a hard time trying to think why it doesn’t.

Why was her son so oblivious?

 

 

After a couple of hours and countless dishes later, everything was packed and cleaned up. 4Minute had already left, just leaving Beast with their mothers.

“Ok boys, I left the leftovers in the fridge in containers. Make sure you close the containers tight or it will go bad.” Doojoon’s mom ordered.

“Arasso!” Doojoon nodded. “Umma, let’s go to the park. You can watch me play soccer.”

“Ooh I want to come.”Yoseob and Dongwoon said. “Me too.”

“Sounds good. Why don’t we all go?” Hyunseung’s mom suggested and everyone agreed.

“Aww that’s sound fun but I can’t.” Taehee said sadly. “I promise Junhyung’s father that I’d be home before six. He made dinner plans for us.”

“Maybe next time.” Kikwang’s mom said as Taehee nodded. “Ok then shall we get going to the park?”

The boys nodded and Doojoon ran to the bedroom to retrieve his soccer ball.

“Mom, I’ll drive you home.”Junhyung offered, yawning and stretching.

“Are you sure Soonie? You don’t want to go to the park with them?” his mom asked.

“Yeah I’m sure. What’s the point of me having a car if I can’t even drive my mom home? Come on .” He said, grabbing his car keys.

Taehee smiled. “Ok everyone. I’m gonna leave first. Enjoy the park. Boys, take care of yourself.” She waved goodbye and walked out to the hall where Junhyung was waiting for her.

 

The walk to Junhyung’s car was brief. They arrived to his black Audi and got in.

“Oh before I forget, I brought you the medicine you asked for.” Junhyung’s mom said, taking a small bag out of her purse. “Are you having stomach problems Jaesoon?”

“Not me. I remember you told me how this is really good for stomach pains so I thought I should give it to Hyuna. She’s constantly having stomach problems and maybe these will help.” Junhyung said, backing out of the garage and onto the street.

Taehee was quiet, just looking at Junhyung, unable to figure him out. She chuckled quietly and shook her head.

“What?” Junhyung asked, wondering about his mom’s actions. “What’s wrong?”

“I’m just trying to understand son.”

“Understand what?”

“Why you’re not with the person you love.” Junhyung was taken aback by his mom’s statement.

“What?!” He asked, confused. “I’m with Hara, remember mom?”

“Yah, your mom is not that old yet ok? I don’t have memory problems.”

“Then why did you say what you said.”

“Because it’s true. You’re not with the person you love.” Taehee repeated, matter-of-fact. “I mean how can you be if you’re with Hara.”

“Where is this coming from? You don’t like Hara?”

“I like Hara just fine. She’s a good girl but just not for you.” Taehee explained.

Junhyung chuckled. “Oh really? Then who is?” he challenged.

“Hyuna.” Junhyung slammed on his brake, trying not to hit the car in front of him.

“Hyuna?” he repeated. “I don’t….what…I just.”

“Don’t forget Jaesoon that I raised your for 23 years. I know everything about you. And I can just see it in your eyes. It’s different with Hyuna. I saw it with my own two eyes today.”

“Mom, I don’t know what you’re talking about.” Junhyung said, getting uncomfortable. He definitely didn’t want to talk about Hyuna with his mom. It was a sensitive topic. It still is and it was something he had kept buried to himself for over a year now.

“The way you treat Hyuna, it’s different. It’s special. The way you look at that girl, it’s the way your father looks at me every day. And it is definitely not the way you look at Hara. I remember seeing you with Hara when she stopped by that one time unannounced. I know you care about Hara and it’s obvious but it’s nowhere near close to the way you care about Hyuna.”

“I thought you guys like Hara. I mean Dad seems to like her.”

Taehee laughed. “I love your father to death but that man is almost hopeless when it comes to knowing things. You must have gotten that obliviousness from him. Don’t get us wrong, we like Hara. We think she’s a nice girl and your father likes her, but when it comes to love, trust me mothers know best.”

She continued on. “And I know that deep in your heart, it’s Hyuna. I know it’s been Hyuna for three years now. You might not realize it yet or maybe you have but you’re too scared to act on it, but I promise you that when you’re with the one you should be with, that happiness is worth everything. And you’re worth it son. I just want you to be happy.”

They arrived at his parent’s house. His mom smiled and gave Junhyung a hug.

“With me and Hyuna….it’s complicated mom. It was explosive and it only got more and more complicated. I lost her once and it was really hard to get her back in my life and I just don’t want to lose…..Hara’s easy. It may not be explosive or as……….easy is what I can handle right now.” Junhyung confessed, letting his feelings out.

Taehee smiled in understanding. “As cliché as it may sound but if it’s worth having then it’s worth fighting for. I didn’t raise you to settle. But I’m not too worried. It may be hard and explosive and epic but you know what you and Hyuna are also?”

Junhyung shook his head. “What?”

“Inevitable.” Taehee kissed Junhyung’s cheeks then exited the car, waving goodbye then entering the house.

Junhyung watched as his mom made her way inside her house, thinking over everything.

Inevitable.

He smiled at that before driving off.

Inevitable, indeed.