Mamihlapinata

Limerence

 

 

Mimihlapinata (n) - The wordless look between two people who both desire something, yet are equally reluctant to initiate

 

 


 

Kibum continues to tear up the sleeve on his shirt, pulling on threads. The prince is seated infront of him, and Kibum is sitting restlessly on the bed, not knowing what to say. He is surprised, to say the least, that the prince is not afraid of him. None have said anything for quite a while, simply looking at eachother. The pricne is the first to break the silence.

"What more can you do?" Jonghyun asks softly. 

"I do not know my limits. I can create almost everything that already exists. I can give and take lives, I can heal. I can use the elements to my advantage." Kibum says as he looks down into his hands. 

"How long have you known about these powers?" Jonghyun asks. 

"I..." Kibum stops, not knowing if he has the strength to tell the whole story. "It is many years ago. In my village. There was an accident, but no one understood, they were scared or driven mad by fear." Kibum bites his lip. "I can never return. That is the reason I am a traveler, because I was exiled from my home." He whispers. 

"I am sorry, it must be difficult." Jonghyun says with a frown. 

"I have learned to live with it. But it is lonely, and my only company..." Kibum sighs. "This might frighten you, or scar you." He says, before turning to the room. "Taemin? I know you must be listening, you can come in." He says to nothing in particular. He can see the confused look on Jonghyun's face, but waits until he hears a sudden pop, then looks up. "There you are. Please behave." Kibum says. 

"Is..." Jonghyun's eyes widen when Taemin hovers down until he is almost on the ground. 

"It is a pleasure to finally meet the prince, my name is Taemin." Taemin says as he bows dramatically, making Kibum roll his eyes. "I am an elf." He adds with a smirk. 

"Amazing." Jonghyun mumbles, unable to keep his mouth shut. "His feet are not touching the ground." He comments. 

"Yeah, I do not know why. Have you ever tried actually standing?" Kibum asks curiously to the elf. 

"The ground is cold on my feet, I prefer the air." Taemin answers, making Kibum shrug. "I am surprised how well he is taking it. Jinki went completely mad when he found out."

"Jinki knows?!" Jonghyun says loudly as he stands.

"He found out, when I opened the door and Taemin was inside, it was an accident. But he does only know of Taemin, not about my powers. Though he does suspect it." Kibum explains quickly. 

"Oh." Jonghyun says as he sits down again, going back to staring at Taemin with wide curious eyes. "Are fairies not supposed to be...smaller?" He asks as he raises a brow. The smirk falls on Taemin's face, and he huffs offendedly. Kibum chuckles.

"Taemin is an elf, not a fairy. Though I understand your confusion. I usually just call him a demon or the devil." He says with a smirk towards the elf. 

"You are the one with the demon powers. I can simply fly." Taemin says with a frown. 

"Is this how you fought off those attackers that night?" Jonghyun asks after a while.

"Yes, I simply conjured up some wind to knock him off, the others were stupid to even try attacking me." Kibum says and rolls his eyes. "But I did not lie when I said I have picked up some tricks from the road. I can fight fairly if needed." He adds. Jonghyun nods, while Taemin rolls his eyes. 

"Just be glad he cares for you." Taemin suddenly comments, making both boys look at him with wide eyes, Jonghyun in confusion, and Kibum in shock and rising fury. "If someone is out there looking for your head on a stake, you want Kibum to protect you." The elf says with a smirk. 

"I have had enough of your remarks. Recedo." Kibum hisses, flicking his wrist. Jonghyun whips his head towards him in shock when the elf disappears. 

"What did you do to him?" Jonghyun asks with worry coating his brown eyes.

"Sent him into the forest where he belongs. He will be back shortly though, he never leaves my side unfortuantely." Kibum mumbles with a huff. 

"Was his words true?" Kibum looks in confusion at the look in the prince's eyes, not knowing how to read it. "About you caring for me?"

"Yes." Kibum says with a sigh. "After only a few days in your company, it is hard not to notice your kindness, and how easy it is to talk to you. You are one of the only people I have opened up to in years." He confesses, looking towards the books strewn around his room. "There are still secrets, ones I do not have the courage to reveal yet. But I promise, I will not let anyone harm you." Kibum says, turning back, surprised at the bright smile on Jonghyun's face.

"Thank you." The prince whispers. Kibum can't help but get lost in those big eyes, wondering what the other is thinking. Kibum has learned many tricks on the road, one of them is to read people's actions and expressions to know what they are feeling and thinking. But Jonghyun is another case, the other seems so open, his heart on his sleeve, but when they share a moment of silence, simply gazing into eachothers eyes, Kibum feels blank, empty almost when he attempts to read the prince.

A knock on the door breaks the moment, and Kibum looks away. "Enter." He calls loudly enough for the person to hear. He does not feel surprised it is Jungsoo that walks in. 

"Sir, Your Highness, the feast will begin shortly, the King has asked for your attendance." Jungsoo says with a slight bow. 

"Yes, of course. I forgot." Jonghyun says with a sigh. "We will be there soon, you may leave, Jungsoo." He sends the servant a small smile as he closes the door. 

"Do you not want to go?" Kibum asks.

"My father has held many feasts, all are the same. Though this is the first he has held for someone saving my life, so I guess it is worth attending." Jonghyun says and smiles. Kibum nods, standing up. "I will leave you to change." The prince says, bowing his head before disappearing.

 


 

If Kibum had been amazed by the details and the decor of the dining room, he was awestruck at the beauty in the ballroom. Golden tapestries adorns the walls, two thrones at the far end wall with a table infront of it, and a long row of food and drinks on the left. To the right there are smaller tables, filled with people in large dresses and cloaks and suits. The floor is shining, the light from the chandeliers glimmering in the reflection as Kibum tries to keep his mouth shut. 

"You like it?" Jonghyun asks with an amused chuckle. Kibum startles, having not seen the other walking up to him. The prince has changed from his normal dark red shirt and black trousers, into a white loose shirt, a dark red silk cloak over his jacket and white trousers. The prince looked stunning, gold details sown into his cloak and rings on his fingers. 

"Very much." Kibum mumbles, forcing his eyes away from the prince, not know if he was still talking about the room or the prince himself. "Thank you for lending me clothes." He says, looking down at his clothes, similar to Jonghyun, only his cloak was a sky blue and his trousers were a more cream colour. 

"It is my pleasure, one of such beauty must be shown to the world in it's finest attire." The prince says, and Kibum looks away to hide the red in his cheeks. "Shall we?" He nods, walking through the room, the people turning to look as they recognize the prince, but not knowing who he is with. Kibum looks nervously to the floor, not having been under so many stares before. "Do not worry, they are admiring you." Jonghyun whispers. 

"On the contrary, Your Highness, they are looking at you." Kibum says, his eyes pointed towards the King, giving them both a big smile as they reach him. "Your Majesty." He says as he bows.

"Now now, our honor guest should not bow so formally. Rise." Jaejoong says with a chuckle. Kibum straightens back up awkwardly, not used to such an unformal King. "Now." Jaejoong says, addressing the people in the ballroom. The chatter and laughters die down immidiately. "It has only been a day since this man saved my son's life, and I have yet felt like I have not thanked him enough. Without his courage, we would not have an heir today." Jaejoong says, everyone's eyes moving from the King to Kibum, who once again begins to find the floor very interesting. "This feast is in his honor, may you all enjoy it!" He finishes loudly, and the music begins to play as the chatter starts up again. 

"Are you hungry?" Jonghyun asks, and Kibum nods, following the other to the tables, where they both fill their plates with delicious food and bring back to the table. Kibum notices the servants bringing a chair beside one of the thrones, glancing at the King in confusion. But Jaejoong simply gestures for him to sit. Kibum can't help but feel a little overwhelmed, having simply rushed Jonghyun away from the attack, he wouldn't call it saving his life. Plus, he feels slightly ashamed that the story the King believes is a lie, and that Kibum is a fraud. He follows the gesture, sitting down beside Jonghyun and beginning to eat. He watches as several people in very extravagant clothing walk up to the King, bow and comment on something. He spots the General in the crowd, also a few of the soldiers, Minho included. Jonghyun gives him a grin when he points the soldier out to him. 

The night moves on, the music making a soft atmosphere as the ballroom fills with couples dancing in the middle, dresses swaying elegantly to the rythm, dazzling smiles all coming towards the prince, not going unnoticed by Kibum. One would be blind to not notice the other's beauty. Though the prince often points out beauty in other things, like nature or even Kibum, he never speaks of himself, making Kibum wonder if the older even realizes how perfect he is. 

"I see you are enjoying yourself." A soft voice startles Kibum, looking behind him to see Jinki with an amused smile. 

"Hello, yes I am. Though this is all very new and strange for this all to be because of me, it is nice." Kibum says honestly, knowing Jinki is not one to judge. He looks back almost longingly to the dancers in the middle, small memories of smaller ballrooms filled with similar music and dashing smiles. Though that is an old memory, Kibum still remembers it clearly. He does not notice Jinki's knowing look, as the physician moves to the other side to grab the attention of the prince. As Jinki points to the dazed look on Kibum's face, Jonghyun follows his gaze to the dance floor, his eyes brightening. 

"Would you like to dance?" Kibum looks to his side, Jonghyun looking at him with a smile that would easily win over anyone in the room, challenging the chandeliers in it's brightness. Kibum can't find words, nodding sharply as a warm feeling spreads through his body, making his stomach twists in the most peculiar way. He follows the other to the dance floor, knowing the people around are watching like hawks, but for once, he chooses to ignore it. Jonghyun asked to dance, and that is all Kibum will focus on.

He startles out of his thoughts at the light press of a hand on his waist, Jonghyun unable to hide his smirk at how easily Kibum gets lost in thought. Kibum lets the prince grasp his hand, as he moves his own to the other's shoulder. Kibum lets him lead, easily falling into the rythm, the steps coming back to him after a while. It has been so long since he has danced like this, but it is the first time he has danced under everyone's attention, in the most dazzling ballroom in his life, with the most breathtaking man in his arms. 

He can feel a nagging at the back of his mind, distant but there. It reminds him of Taemin at first. An annoyance that just won't go away. He ignores it, letting it fade for a while as he enjoys himself. Jonghyun smiles, effortlessly twirling the younger as they dance, making Kibum chuckle. It is like their surroundings disappear, the music is the only thing he can hear, the man infront of him the only thing in his vision. Everything else is dulled or faded away. Except that nagging feeling in his head. Kibum frowns, knowing something must be wrong, as the feeling grows until he feels almost nauseous. 

Jonghyun notices the frown on his face. "Is everything alright?" He asks. 

"I am fine." Kibum tries to brush it off, but the feeling simply won't go away, and the longer Kibum ignores it, the worse it gets. 

"That is a lie. You are obviously not well. What is the matter?" Jonghyun asks at the pained look on Kibum's face. 

"I think it may be something I ate. I would like to return to my chambers." Kibum says as Jonghyun stops moving, looking at him worriedly. Kibum lets go off him, their surroundings coming back in tenfolds, shocking him with the noise and the lights. In addition to the feeling it makes him dizzy, unable to take a step back without swaying. Jonghyun reaches out and catches his hand.

Colours flash before his eyes, images that makes his heart race. He sees the prince, almost like a dream, or a nightmare. The images move so fast Kibum has a hard time differencing them. When they disappear, he stares in frozen shock at the man infront of him, and down at their joined hands. As the feeling grows stronger, he feels the energy left in him drain away until he collapses on the floor.

 


 

 

Lol, Kibum has visions too?? There is really nothing I haven't given him in his powers XD Kibum is almighty alright!

 

I really hope you liked the chapter, and that you'll leave a comment below to let me know what you think!!

 

Thanks bye

chu~~