10. First Date

For the First Time


Jungsu felt angry.

And the other members--save Kangin--knew it too.

A week after Taeyeon’s surprise phone call in the middle of the night, he overheard Kangin talking to Sungmin in the kitchen about the best places to take a girl on a first date.

“Hyung, why are you asking me?”

“Well, I’m sure you’ve taken Sunny on some dates before, right?”

Jungsu saw Sungmin blush. “Well, no, they’re not da--”

“Come on, help me out here! I wanna make a good impression on Taeyeon.”

Just hearing that name now made Jungsu’s chest ache painfully.

“Hm, Taeyeon’s kind of like a kid, so I think an amusement park would be really fun for her.”

Jungsu suddenly recalled a conversation he had with Taeyeon, years ago.

“You’ve never been to an amusement park?” he had asked, eyes wide.

“No,” Taeyeon sighed sadly, “I was always too busy studying, taking care of my little sister--then I came here and I’ve been training so, no.”

“I’m gonna be the first one to take you to an amusement park then, got it?” he grinned that day, “After you debut, you know.”

“Got it,” she grinned back.

He wanted to storm into the kitchen and rage at Kangin.

No, that wasn’t sensible. Kangin was his friend. Taeyeon was his friend. Why was it his business, wherever Kangin would take Taeyeon?

They’re two kids, he told himself; let the kids have fun.

“Oh, hi, hyung,” Kangin greeted, smiling easily.

Jungsu put on a wide and happy grin and patted Kangin on the back. “Hey, Kangin-ah.”

Kangin returned the grin and walked off. Jungsu instantly went back to his livid demeanor.

“Hyung, do you want a massage?” Sungmin offered, noticing the scowl on his face.

“You know, that actually sounds good right now,” Jungsu removed the scowl and replaced it with a half-smile.

-----

Taeyeon felt on top of the world.

Her members could tell, too, the way the leader carried herself nowadays.

“An amusement park?” Tiffany repeated.

“Yeah, doesn’t it sound fun?” Taeyeon sighed happily.

“It does,” Tiffany agreed, smiling, “But...”

“But what?” Taeyeon asked, tilting her head to the side.

“Never mind,” Tiffany dismissed, eye-smiling brightly.

“Okay then,” Taeyeon laughed.

Tiffany left Taeyeon’s room and headed for the kitchen, where all the other members were gathered solemnly.

“So she’s going?” Yoona looked up from her bowl of ice cream to confirm.

“Soon, in a few hours,” Tiffany replied, “She’s going to an amusement park.”

“I’ll go help her get ready,” Sooyoung grinned, trying to lighten the mood.

“I wanna help!” Sunny argued.

“Girls, girls, let’s all go together!” Yuri took them by the arms and the three disappeared down another hallway.

“Unnie, what’s wrong?” Seohyun asked.

“I just remembered something, from a few years ago,” Tiffany said in a low voice.

“I think I know what you’re talking about,” Jessica nodded.

“Me too,” Hyoyeon joined in, “She told practically everyone.”

“Ah, I can’t wait until I’m done training.”

“You wanna debut that badly?” Jessica had laughed.

“Well, of course, yes, but Jungsu--”

“Always Jungsu,” Hyoyeon teased playfully.

“He told me that he’ll take me to an amusement park when I debut!” Taeyeon put a fist in the air excitedly, disregarding Hyoyeon’s comment.

Tiffany giggled, “He did?”

“He said he’ll be the first one to take me, since I’ve never been to one.”

“How sweet,” Hyoyeon remarked, grinning furiously.

“What?” Taeyeon had asked innocently.

“Nothing,” Jessica, Hyoyeon, and Tiffany had said back in unison, trying to hard their smiles

“Taeyeon’s happy though. Let’s go help her get ready.” Jessica pushed her shoulders back and dumped the ice cream in the trash.

“Sica, why’d you throw that all away? I could’ve eaten it!” Hyoyeon whined, slapping Jessica on the arm.

“OW! That hurt!”

“Wimp.”

“Harasser.”

“Unnies, please don’t fight,” Seohyun pleaded gently.

Tiffany smiled at the scene, in spite of everything else going on at the moment.

Let’s make Taeyeon’s first date count,Tiffany sighed, Even though she’s going with the wrong guy.


Time Frame: Mid-2008 (a week after Chapter 9)

Song: Chiisana Inori - Seikon no Qwaser