Chapter 1: The Prologue

His Last Words

7.00 pm. Club S. Vancouver, Canada 2007

 

Choi Sooyoung is standing with her both hands grabbing with handbag and a blue jacket. She just wears a simple dress in black and ponytails. She really dresses in simple that night. After a few minutes, she began to complain to herself as she waiting for him.

“Hey girl, wanna make out?” A man, probably in his 20’st tries to flirting Sooyoung who is standing beside the door’s club. “No, thank you” She just give a smirk for the return that cause the man to grab her wrist. “Go away!” She said as she struggles to release his grab.

“Sorry man, she is my date”. A voice probably a man in his 20’st too touches the man’s shoulder from behind showing his charming smile. “Why should I trust you, man?” That man reply, hoping that this gorgeous is not his date. “She is my girlfriend. Please remove your hands please”. He said while grabbing the man hands that grab Sooyoung wrist in sign to remove it from her. After that, he grabs her shoulder in case to make her feel safety. “Well then, we should go first. Have a good day, man”. He said as he takes Sooyoung with him.

To be leaving the unknown man in confusion.

 

***

 

“I hope that you just punch that guy from earlier” Sooyoung said, breaking the quiet situation between them even though the sound of the music can actually make someone goes deaf. Kris just stay in silent. He prefers to just keep quiet, enjoying that loud club’s music. Sooyoung too, she remand silent, she knew that Kris always like this, enjoying the music that actually peace to his mind while thinking about something to say. “You know, it is no good like that” He said, finally to reply what she said. She is glad that he hears what she said earlier. “Are you sure that you are a gangster?” She said, purposely arousing some angry to him, but he just keep quiet. Then, the silent come again between them, with just the loud music that entertain them. Sooyoung is purposely to quiet. She knew Kris since his childhood days. No, ever since they open their eyes they are friends. Sooyoung and Kris both is an orphan. They both had born in Korea with different races to each other. Sooyoung still remember how Kris always throws a prank to her, knowing that she hate cockroach really much. She even remember how they always cycle together every evening, wasting their time praying in the church every Friday and Sunday and also how they use to observe each other height growing 1cm to another 1cm. She smiles, life are surely valuable. Then, after few years growing, Kris is taken to by the Wu’s family. Creating a new name for him which is already made an awkward encounter every time she called her that: Kris. She called him always, Li Jia Heng or Kevin, his original name. She said that those names remind her of a naughtier boy who use to pranks her with cockroaches, than a rich boy that always appreciate her lot (Kris).  In the 8th grade, they confess of their love. They were leaving each other lovey-dovey moves that get an attention from everyone including his family. But, unfortunately, it comes that they dislike Sooyoung, who is poor and an orphan. After that day, Kris began to be rebellious, grabbing Sooyoung with him, she began to rebel too. But, still, they always are spending their time at the church, cycling and measuring height. They do not this kind of bad boys and girls, but pretty sure that they just a rebellious young teenagers.

 

Beijing, China/ 10 a.m/Home  2007

 

“Lu, you should wake up now”. Lu han stumbled from his bed. His mom just had disturbed his deep and sweet slumber. “Oh, okay…” Sigh Lu han while walk through the door. “You’re disturbing again, Mom” the first word Lu han said after sitting on the dining chair. “What? You should have a girlfriend now. You’re old now, man. Stop dreaming with that fantasize of yours. That woman from your sleep will impossible to come here”. She said while placing the dishes to the dining table. “But, she’s pretty…” Lu han replied hesitate. He plus, “Today, she wore a black simple dress with her blue denim jacket. She also tied a ponytail.”. “If that’s true, then I have such humble lady as my in law”. His mom said, laughing.

“But, you never have a girlfriend”. His adopted brother said, while walking through the staircase. He continued, “How can I expect you have a girlfriend while you never fall in love. The fan girls are just wasting their time, energy and money to wait for you. How pitiful this life shouldn’t have been because of you, Lu ge” (In Chinese, they called brother as ‘ge’)

“Stop it Tao, I know that you’re jealous. You know, that woman in my dream is totally gorgeous”. Lu han said while smirking toward Tao. “Okay, then you win again, Lu ge. I’ll wait for next time” He said while wearing his sneakers. 

  Then, Lu han too, going to his mom to bid some farewell.

 

“What in the world are you saying?” She startled. As she known, He never left her alone. “It must be something that urgent… family?” she continued. She always care about him; his life, his health, his relationship. “It is a family problems…” he said, replying. The sorrow face shown through her face; her lips pouted, her eyes shown some disagree, and her hands shown to make a fist beside her waist. Yes that’s shown of her disagree. “Don’t worry; it’ll be okay... promise” He grab her hand by promise, linking her fingers with him. “Then, promise” she replied, trusting him on his decision from now. She knows if his real loyalty yet can be trusted. He knows that this woman beside him is a lot tougher that him. She’s a rose; seems to be weak in the outside that actually a tough woman that he ever met.

 

Luhan’s late again. But, for this time, even his cute pout can’t safe him. Then yet, he stands outside the class with his both hands stretching his ears, again. He used to it, yes very used to it. He may not a good grader but he’s a great athlete. He may doing his punishment, but he’s popular enough for people to make the other student to not bother him.

“Punishment again I guess…” She stands in front of him, with her eyes gazing through his eyes. “Stop it, you’re burning my eyes, Summer” He said. She stops as to take his hand from his ears, reminding him as to stop doing the punishment. He’s shocked but still succeeds to cover it, asking her questions about class that he used to miss. “Since when did you interest in class?” Summer asks, making Luhan to burst into his blush. “You’re blushing, Lu…” “No, I’m not…” “Yes you’re”  “Hey, didn’t you have a dance class after this?” “Yes I am” “Then go…” “Okay, see you later”

Luhan blushed entirely after Summer went to her dance class. He admits, his relationship with Summer is yet a friendship one. But, strangely for him to flutter if Summer is there with him. He thought that no way he will fall in love with his own best friend that he knows for thousand years.

Yet he feels weird again. That woman, that he always fall in love with, the one that always visiting him on his dream, resembled Summer so much. The way she’s smile, the way she’s walk. But, Summer are meant to be harsher, meaner and a wilder. That woman seems to be pure, good and kind.

 

She always spends her time dancing with the rhythm. Her moves are rather y yet appropriated. Not to be mean by powerful, yet sharp, but smooth. Choi Summer always satisfied with her moves. She may a meaner in her life but then her heart to be the opposite. Her heart to be like caring, understanding then she looks like. She may be the same person that dances gracefully on the stage and the one that wear black mini dress with a cap in the prom. But, her heart still knows how to do something nicer. She likes hip hop and then she shows in the prom wearing a cap, a mini dress and shoes; yet to be stylishand to be stands out, that is her, the woman that Luhan said to be a pineapple; look rough at the outside but soft in her inside.

 

***

 

“So, what it is?” A voice was asking him from the back. He knew the owner of the voice really well; that nasal voice that he grown up with. She got him, he thought. “What do you mean?” He answers the question while slowly smile to her. “You’re weird, you know…” She honestly said. “I hate it, you’re hiding something from me right?” She continues. He silent, like his unusual type; he continues to stare at her. “Choi Sooyoung, you said that you’re name means luxurious flower petals, right?” He suddenly asks. “Yes, but…” “You know, you really are” he said then smiles at her. Sooyoung confused by Kris sudden action. Why all of sudden? She thought. He grabs her hands, tighten her grip with him and smile. “I told you that this hand will always be with you, tighten its grip with your hand…” he said. Then he continues “So don’t ever wonder, don’t ever hesitate about us” “Kevin…” She said still confused. “Choi Sooyoung, I will be busy for a week, family matters and trust me. Don’t worry; didn’t I have promise to you that I will protect you from anything until my last moment on this earth?” He said; trying to regain her trusts.

Then she smiles

That moment he knows for sure.

He got her trusts

 

Summer wakes up from her deep slumber. She dreams of him again after a long time. Her heart was flutter as his words echoing in her mind. To be honest, she almost forgot about him. Her breathing was unstable and her hands keep shaking. She thought it just over about 5 years ago. No, it supposed to be. She succeed to calm down after stare the ceiling about 15 minutes. She looks at her phone; no message, no chat, no calls, no notification. She’s feeling lonely. She knows really well, that she’s not that favored at school and only a brave and stupid man will make a move to her because of her image; a tough girl. She is not that kind of bad girl; being tough is not bad girl.

She’s thirsty,and decided to go to the kitchen for a drink.

She lives as an heiress of the Season Company at Beijing. She lives all his life devoting to her parents and takes a dancing lesson when she’s 10 for her stress management. Her live were always like that until the moment she met Luhan, a particular boy that she met in middle school. She smiles. Luhan was always be right next to her; because she knows that he likes her even though he were denying all the time. But then she thought, she always relieved for having him besides her; her childhood friend, her companion, and her enemy in the art world; well he is not that bad dancer too.

Her night gown was dancing with the wind as it was light as feather. She passes a few picture; with a lot of family picture in it, a stairs, a long corridor and living room. She stops, now she remembers. That woman in her dream that look so much like her. She knows that woman is not her. That’s a mistake. She thought. “I shouldn’t fell for his words”

Before she goes sleep, she decided to check on her phone again. 3,20 am, the clock shows and a chat from her kakao apps. It’s Luhan. She smiles quietly. She replies and thought.

 

She is not going to sleep tonight.