SPRING - CHAPTER 6

Spring
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Hello, my lovely subscribers! I'm back! Today we get to meet Chan Hyuk. And without further ado, here is chapter six. Enjoy!

Chan Hyuk got out of the SUV and looked up at the modern building of the Engineering and Research Department. They had dropped off Seung Hoon and Hayi on the way to Seoul University.

"Have a good day, dolyeonnim," Chan Yeol said with a bow before getting back in the driver's seat and driving away. Chan Hyuk climbed the steps leading up the building, each step heavier than the last.

Several students and professors were already making their way into the building. He saw a couple of students glance and point at him, oggling shamelessly. As the youngest student of Seoul University he had become used to it. He entered college at age 11 and finished his first degree in Physics three years later. He was currently taking another degree for robotics engineering because he thought it sounded cool.

Most of the other students looked out for him since they thought it was cute that he was in college. But despite that, Chan Hyuk still felt left out. Even though he was smart enough to attend college, he was still too young to hang out with everyone else. He attend the classes with them but he was outside their social circle. He didn't have anyone on campus he could consider as a friend.

He looked back in time to see his chauffered car go around the bend that lead to the campus exit. The  moment the black car was out of sight, Chan Hyuk bolted back down the steps and hailed the next taxi that passed by.

He got into the car breathlessly and the old driver gave him a questioning look.

"Free Spirit Studios in Hongdae, ajjushi," Chan Hyuk instructed and they sped away.

It wasn't the first time he was running away and skipping lessons but it still felt exhilerating for him every time. It's been five months since he started skipping lessons. At first it was just a once every two weeks deal. Then it became weekly. Today he was skipping for the third consecutive day and he felt like a badass.

Chan Hyuk knew that his father will find out about it soon so he was making the most of his newfound liberty while it lasted.

He checked his watch. He was running a bit late. Sung Ha hyung would be pissed, he thought with a laugh. He got his phone and dialed his friend's number.

"Yah! Eodieseo?!" an angry Sung Ha snarled at him over the phone.

"Sung Ha hyung, mianhe, I'm running late. Don't worry, I'm already on my way. I'm in the cab," Chan Hyuk explained.

"We only have the studio for three hours. You are wasting precious time and a lot of money. Palli!" Sung Ha said.

"Neh, neh. Arrasso. I'll be there in 10 minutes, hyung," Chan Hyuk said before ending the call.

He and Sung Ha had pooled together their allowances to rent out a small recording studio in Hongdae. They were making a demo that they want to send out to record companies just for for the heck of it.

Sung Ha talked him into it. Chan Hyuk would not have deviated from the path that was set for him by his family if he hadn't met Sung Ha several months ago, that first day he skipped classes.

It was after lunch when he feigned sickness and asked Professor Kim that he be excused from class. Thankfully the old man believed him and he was allowed to leave. Chan Hyuk felt extremely guilty for lying but really, he didn't want to stay in class since half the students still reeked of alcohol.

His driver wasn't scheduled to pick him up until late in the afternoon. He could have called Chanyeol but Chan Hyuk knew he'd be taken straight home. He didn't want that either.

Not knowing what else to do with his free time, Chan Hyuk searched on the Internet for Nakwon Music Arcade. He's heard of it from his older classmates but has never been there and he was thoroughly interested in the place. He heard it was just full of musical instruments and he didn't believe it.

The first time he went inside, Chan Hyuk thought he was in paradise. It was slightly chaotic with tons and tons of instruments piled in the center hallway and even more inside the various music stores. There were a lot of people milling about, mostly high school and college kids browsing for instruments.

He walked around the mall for god knows how long, just taking in the sounds of the shopper's voices and the random instruments being tested out by customers. He must have looked out of place because someone came up to him.

"Yah, kid. Are you lost?" a tall boy probably just a year or two older than him asked. The boy was wearing a high school uniform and had a guitar case slung over his back.

"A-ani," Chan Hyuk stuttered.

"Um, yeah, say that again without lying and I might believe you," the older boy said with a laugh which surprised Chan Hyuk. He thought he was in trouble.

"So, is this your first time here?" The strange boy asked.

Chan Hyuk nodded.

"You came alone?"

He nodded again.

"You came to check out instruments?"

Chan Hyuk didn't really know why he came here but nodded anyway..

"Arrasso. I know just the place for you. Follow me," the tall boy said with a friendly smile.

Chan Hyuk knew he shouldn't follow strangers but the boy didn't look menacing or suspicious in any way so he walked behind the other boy who seemed to know his way around the mall very well.

They stopped outside a large store that had the words Jung Music Palace written in blazing bold letters.

"Welcome to Jung Music Palace! My family owns it. Come on inside. We might have what you are looking for," the tall boy said with a friendly smile.

They entered it and the older boy greeted the staff.

Chan Hyuk looked around the store in amazement. There were plenty of guitars, several drum sets, and countless instruments that Chan Hyuk had only seen in books and TV, all displayed around the shop. An upright Kawai piano stood in one corner and Chan Hyuk approached it and played several bars from Pachelbel's Canon in D. It was one of the pieces he learned when he was still taking piano lessons as a kid.

Their mother had signed them up for lessons for different instruments when they were younger. Hayi learned the violin while Seung Hoon learned the Cello. They also took voice lessons. Their mother loved music and one of her greatest frustrations in life was the fact that she can't sing so she made sure her children could at least carry a tune. When she was alive, their old house, although much smaller, felt warmer and was always filled with music. After their mother's death, their father hated hearing music in the house and the children stopped their lessons altogether. Now, their new house is always eerily quiet and cold which Chan Hyuk hated.

Chan Hyuk was surprised when the tall boy walked up to him, an electric guitar in hand.

"You know how to play the whole thing?" The boy asked. Chan Hyuk looked at the piano and then back again at the tall boy before nodding. It has been a while since he played it since he broke the Steinway at home that one time he snuck into the old music room when their father was on a business trip, but he knew the song by heart since it was among their mother's favorite.

"Play that again from the start," the older boy instructed as he plugged his guitar on a nearby amplifier and fiddled with the settings.

Chan Hyuk sat on the seat in front of the piano and played a few practice bars to loosen up his fingers. He looked up at the boy who gave him a signal to begin playing.

Chan Hyuk began playing the classical piece on the piano and was surprised that the older boy was playing the same piece on his electric guitar. The contrast between the refined melody of the piano and the rugged sounds of the guitar was oddly beautiful and Chan Hyuk found himself thoroughly enjoying the music.

They finished the first movement of the piece and gave each other high fives. The staff and several customers were also applauding them and Chan Hyuk felt excited for the first time in a long while.

"Yah, kid, you have some pretty mad skills on the piano. How long have you been playing?" The tall boy asked with a grin.

"Thanks. I started learning when I was three. Haven't played in a while, though," Chan Hyuk said sheepishly.

"That's cool. You play other instruments?"

Chan Hyuk shook his head.

"Want to learn?" The taller boy asked and Chan Hyuk gave him a big smile.

Fast forward three months later and Chan Hyuk has also learned how to play the guitar, the bass and a bit of drums. Sung Ha's father was nice enough to let them use the instruments on display in their shop just as long as they don't break anything. Chan Hyuk had also opened his piggy bank (which he has been saving up for several years already but he didn't have anything in mind that he would want to buy) and bought himself a Martin&Co. guitar. He keeps it at Sung Ha's store since his father would probably not approve of him playing music again.

Chan Hyuk quickly paid the driver and hurriedly got out the moment the cab pulled up outside the small building of the studio.

He ran up the stairs and greeted some of the studio's staff and the other musicians renting out other studios either for practice or recording.

Chan Hyuk arrived in the recording studio and Sung Ha exclaimed in relief.

"Oh, finally!" Sung Ha said before pulling Chan Hyuk in front of the console to listen to the MR for two of the songs they were recording that day. Chan Hyuk asked the sound technician to add some effects and reverb on some parts and when he was finally satisfied, got inside the booth and recorded the vocals for the songs.

"As much as I think that your voice sounds great, I really think this song should be a duet," Sung Ha said after they listened Chan Hyuk's recoding for the song Melted. Honestly, Chan Hyuk agreed. In fact he wasn't fully satisfied with the MR. The piano ang classical guitar melody seemed too barebones for his taste, actually. In his mind it has violins and cellos but he didn't know how to translate that to reality.

"You should go in and record it then, hyung," Chan Hyuk suggested causing Sungha and the sound engineer in the room to laugh.

"I didn't mean me, pabo-yah! Besides, you know I can't sing. I'll just accompany you with my guitar playing skills. But seriously, don't you know anyone who can sing? Didn't you say you and your siblings took voice lessons? Maybe they can come in and sing some parts, yeah?" Sung Ha suggested.

Chan Hyuk though about this for a second. It's been years since he last heard Hayi sing and he doubted she'd agree. She was the first one to stop attending their lessons after their mother's death. Seung Hoon still listens to "music" but it was more like noise and anger blaring through his speakers than actual songs, in Chan Hyuk's opinion. SoHyun never attended music lessons but he has heard her sing when she thought no one was listening. His youngest sister surprisingly has a wonderful voice even though he's only ever heard her singing songs from children's TV shows she used to be very fond of. Her voice would suit this song better but then he can't drag Sohyun out of the house and not raise any alarms.

"I don't think that's possible," Chan Hyuk said sadly.

"Well, still ask them. You'll never know, right? I'll try and look for someone, too," Sung Ha said.

They finished one song and left Melted as is while they find someone to come in and do the duet with Chan Hyuk. They went to the cashier's office to pay for their rental of the studio for today. Chan Hyuk dug around in his bag for his wallet but couldn't find it. He checked every pocket of his bag, his panic rising everytime he had to zip a compartment close.

"Hyung, I can't find my wallet," Chan Hyuk said weakly.

"Mwoh? Are you sure you checked everywhere?" Sung Ha asked. Chan Hyuk nodded.

"I remember getting it out when I paid for my cab fare earlier. It must have fallen when I got out. Ottoke, hyung?" Chan Hyuk asked worriedly.

"I only have enough money to pay for my share. I'll have to g

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter