SPRING - CHAPTER 3

Spring
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

I have subscribers! *Giddyhappydance*

Welcome, fellow Blackjacks! ^_^

Bom was getting accustomed to her new environment in the Lee household. It was a Saturday and all the kids were at home but the house seemed empty. Bom expected the place to be lively since there were four kids but she was disappointed that there was not even a sound in the house. Add the fact that the house was so big hence the emptiness was more pronounced 

She found that SoHyun can be a difficult patient because she is rather spoiled and she likes throwing tantrums. The other house help just give in to her to stop her from throwing a fit but Bom didn't like it. 

Because of her disorder, Sohyun has to eat a special diet. During breakfast, Ajumma Kim brought Sohyun her meal in her bedroom. Bom watched as the elderly woman lay the tray of food on So Hyun’s bed. 

So Hyun looked at the food and grimaced. It was a bowl of rice porridge with chicken and vegetables, a glass of milk, and a plate of fruits.

“I don’t want to eat,” the girl says stubbornly.

“But So Hyun-ah. You have to eat. You have to take your medications,” Bom said calmly.

In a sudden fit So Hyun shoved the plate of fruits and overturned the tray of food, causing a mess in her bedroom. Milk was splashed all over her cotton duvet, and bits of fruit and rice were hanging on the lace fabric of her bed covers.

“So Hyun-ah!” Bom shouted in anger. So Hyun just glared back at Bom, her arms folded at her chest in mutiny.

The elderly woman just sadly bowed her head and began to clean up the mess. She had bits of fruit and vegetables on her navy skirt and her shoes were soaked in milk. Ajjuma Kim was about to pick up the empty bowl when Bom stopped her.

“No, Ajjuma, you don’t have to clean this up. So Hyun made the mess so she has to learn to clean up after herself,” Bom said in a clipped voice. She has plenty of younger brothers and sisters at the orphanage but none of them ever threw this kind of fit. They were taught to value food and respect the elderly by the nuns. Bom could only imagine the kind of parenting that So Hyun had to be acting like this.

Ajjuma Kim looked at Bom in bewilderment. 

“Ajjuma, please prepare another meal for So Hyun. You don’t have to take it here. So Hyun will be eating in the dining room. I just need to talk to my patient,” Bom said politely and the elderly woman gave So Hyun a small bow before leaving the room. 

As soon as the elderly maid was outside, So Hyun began throwing another fit. She threw her pillows from the bed and grabbed the dolls she had on a nearby seat and threw them across the room. She threw whatever she could reach her with little hands - porcelain dolls, colorful music boxes, her alarm clock - and threw them, making more mess in her already messed up room. Bom just watched silently, taking note of how vacant So Hyun’s face was and how silent she was as she threw her fit. The only noise that you could hear were the breaking of the dolls and the loud thud of whatever it was that hit the far wall and the floorboards.

Usually children would shout or scream when they vent out like this, but not So Hyun. It was unnerving. Like she had so much bottled up inside her that this little display was barely the tip of the iceberg.

“You do know that the more mess you make, the more you’ll be cleaning up afterwards, right?” Bom said in a deadpan voice. So Hyun just looked at her and Bom gave the girl a small shrug.

“Just letting you know,” Bom said before leaving thee room.

She just closed the door behind her when she saw Seung Hoon leaning by the double doors of his bedroom, arms crossed in front of his chest. Bom gave the eldest Lee child a bow in greeting.

She did notice that Seung Hoon looked like he was dressed to leave wearing an expensive looking bomber jacket, a beanie, dark washed jeans and boots.

“First day on the job and already making a fuss. I sure hope you haven't unpacked yet because by the looks of it, you'll be leaving tonight," Seung Hoon said with mocking smile. 

Bom tried to explain what happened but Seung Hoon dismissed her with a wave of his hand and he walked away. Bom followed the young man downstairs and saw that Seung Hoon was picked up by his friends and they drove off in an expensive looking top-down sports car.

Bom went down the dining area and found that Hayi was eating alone. She asked if Seung Hoon had anything to eat and Hayi just shook her head. Bom asked about Chan Hyuk and Hayi just stared at her plate. Bom decided to shut up and told the girl to enjoy her meal.

Bom went to the kitchen and found the maids looking at her warily. The maids told her that the last nurse managed to keep her job for four months because she only did what SoHyun wanted. They asked if Bom was worried about losing her job and she says no.

"Honestly, no. I'm more worried about SoHyun growing up a spoiled brat that losing my job," Bom said honestly. In order to keep herself busy, Bom helped Ajjuma Kim to prepare So Hyun's meal since it will be part of her job as a private nurse.

After an hour, Bom went back up to SoHyun's room. The girl was still sitting on her bed that still had dried tofu and bits of chicken and vegetables on it. The room was in a mess far worse than the way Bom had left it.

The girl stared at her mutinously. Bom walked up to her and crossed her arms in from of her chest.

It was a standoff.

"I told you to clean up your room. Why didn't you?" Bom asked sternly.

"I don't want to!"

"Well, you have to. Nobody's going to clean it up for you. I told the maids not to. You made this mess and you have to learn to clean up after yourself," Bom explained sternly.

"Shiro! I can get people to clean up for me. My daddy has a lot of money," So Hyun said mockingly, arms also crossed on her chest.

"Well, sure. Your daddy has a lot of money but that's useless if no one wants to work for you because of your rotten attitude! Even if you have all the money in the world, it wont matter because you treat other people badly. No one will work for you if you are mean to them and you can certainly forget about having friends. You can buy anything and everything else in this world but you can't buy a person's heart," Bom said sincerely.

So Hyun looked at her and thought about it. The girl stared at her hands and Bom just looked at her. So Hyun looked very sad.

"I will leave you again and when I get back, I want this room cleaned up, do you understand me, young lady?" Bom said sternly with her hands on her hips.

Bom left the room and went down to the kitchens to ask the maids for fresh sheets for So Hyun's bed. 

“Are you sure you know what you are doing, Bom-shi? You might lose your job because of this,” Nana, one of the maids said in concern. 

"Don't worry about me, Nana-yah. I know exactly how to deal with kids like So Hyun," Bom said with a confident smile.

Half an hour later, Bom went back to So Hyun's bedroom. To Bom's surprise, the girl managed to put the toys back and the garbage bin was back in its place. So Hyun also managed to mop up the dried puddles of porridge off the expensive mahogany floor and had rolled the dirty rug out of the way. So Hyun was about to strip the bed of its dirty sheets when Bom came in with fresh ones.

She silently helped SoHyun strip the bed and together they changed the sheets. She expected SoHyun to throw another fit or to shout at her but surprisingly, the little girl let her work and she even followed Bom's instructions on how to fold the edges of the bedspread and put on the covers of the duvet.

"That's better!" Bom said happily when they finally finished. She raised her hand and SoHyun gave a happy high five. 

"Good job, SoHyun-ah! Now, don't you feel better after doing a good job?" Bom asked, her stern facade gone and she was back to her normal happy self.

SoHyun nodded happily.

"Look, So Hyun-ah, remember what I said earlier, alright? It's not nice to be mean and you can't throw tantrums when things don't go your way. It's a tough world and we can't always get what we want. And just because you have money you can be mean to everyone, especially the house help. They are older than you so you have to show respect and you have to speak formally to them. I know I shouted at you earlier but you have to understand that I didn't do it to make you mad or to embarrass you. I did it because I want you to understand that what you did was wrong and that you have to be punished because of it. Do you understand me?" Bom asked kindly.
So Hyun looked at her, her face contrite, and nodded.

"Charasso!" Bom said, patting her head.

"But you still have to apologize to Ajjuma Kim for throwing food at her. That was not nice, Ok? We'll go down to the kitchens together. She already made you your meal again and you will eat it. It's for your health, OK?" Bom asked again. So Hyun looked terrified but nodded nonetheless.

They went down the kitchens and found the cook who was again making the tofu stew.

"Ajjuma, SoHyun has something to say to you," Bom said when the lady turned around to look at them. So Hyun looked at Bom apprehensively. Bom gave the little girl an encouring smi

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter