SPRING - CHAPTER 1

Spring
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Park Bom rushed to the bus station hoping that she could catch the next one that would take her to the nearest KTX station. She had less than two hours to get to Incheon airport and she was mentally berating herself for her stupidity. She woke up late because she stayed up the previous night to prepare her farewell present to her last patient, Hanna.

The girl was going to the States to undergo the latest treatments for her cancer. Bom prepared a hand knit scarf she had made herself. She had been taking care of Hanna for the past year and she had grown fond of the girl.

Bom pulled her beanie over her head. It was getting colder as they were already early autumn. She hoped Hanna packed an extra coat for the trip since the girl was very sensitive to cold temperatures.

A minute later, she managed to get to the bus stop. She heaved a sigh of relief when she saw her bus pull up to the stop. She got on and took a seat near the exit. She sent a message to Hanna telling the girl that she was on her way and that they should meet before Hanna goes into the passenger waiting lounge. 

An hour and a train ride later, Bom was rushing towards the departure area of Incheon. She found Hanna and her family sitting near the check in counters and Bom approached them. 

"Buin-nim, I'm sorry if I'm late," Bom greeted the madam politely.

"Oh, Bommie, glad you could make it. Aniya, you were just in time. We have about an hour before boarding," Madam Jung said amicably.
Bom greeted Hanna with a hug.

"Bom unnie! I missed you!" Hanna said cutely.

Hanna was in a wheel chair and she looked frail as ever but judging by the brightness in her eyes one would not have guessed that she was battling a chronic disease. She just finished a cycle of chemotherapy two weeks ago and she seemed to have regained a bit of her strength. 

"Aigoo, we've only been apart for a day. What will you do when you get to the States?" Bom teased.

"That's what I've been telling you! You should come with us!" Hanna said.

"Aigoo, you know I can't. I don't have a visa!" Bom said with a laugh. Hanna just pouted and Bom crouched low so they were eye level before she pinched the younger girl's cheeks.

"Hanna-ah! I promise, after you get your treatment you will get better and you will come back home all healthy and new. Then we'll go see the cherry blossoms in spring like we did this year, OK?" Bom said cheerfully.

"When I get back, let's go visit the aquarium, neh? And take me bunjee jumping, too!" Hana said excitedly.

"Neh! But first you have to promise to get better, arraso? Listen to your doctors and nurses and take all your medications on time, arrachi?" Bom said.

"Neh unnie!" 

"Charasso!" Bom said as she patted the younger girl's head affectionately.

"I have a present for you," Bom said as she took out the scarf she made. It was bright red and it was warm and soft. She wrapped it around Hanna's neck making sure the girl was warm.

"I knitted it myself. You like it?" Bom asked.

"I love it! It's warm and cuddly just like you! And it's my favorite color, too!" Hanna said, nuzzling her face on the warm wool scarf.

"I promise to wear it everyday!" Hanna said brightly.

"Yah, wash it every now and then!" Bom joked and they all had a good laugh, even Hanna's parents.

They chatted for a bit and Hanna's mother told Bom of her last phone call with the American doctors and the treatments that Hanna was going to get. 

"I know it's a rather new treatment but I've read that the results have been promising so far. I'm sure the doctors there will make sure Hanna gets well very soon," Bom said supportively.

A little while later, Hanna's father informed them that it was nearly time for boarding. The family prepared to leave and after a short and happy goodbye between Bom and Hanna, the family went inside the lounge. 

Once the family was out of sight, Bom went to the nearest washroom, locked herself in a cubicle and finally let the tears fall. She had kept a happy facade during the farewells because she didn't want Hanna to leave Seoul while crying. Bom got a pack of tissue from her cross-body bag and proceeded to wipe away her tears and eyeliner that had run down her cheeks. She blew her nose loudly, not caring much if others could hear her sobbing. It took her  while to finally collect herself and when she finally did, she went out of the toilet. The cleaning lady looked at her sadly.

"It's difficult to say goodbye, especially if you are the one getting left behind, neh?" The ajjuma said kindly. Bom nodded in agreement and sighed. She knew all to well how it felt to be left behind. She was an orphan, after all. But despite that she still refused to get used to feeling the pain.

Bom didn't want to talk about what she was feeling and thankfully the older lady did not pry further and instead proceeded to clean the cubicle farthest from the entrance. 

Bom washed away the tear stains and her runny eyeliner, she fixed her make-up and when she was finally satisfied that she looked presentable, she smiled brightly at her reflection in the mirror. 

"Himneh, Bom-ah! Aja! Aja! Hwaiting!!!" she said, giving herself a pep talk.

She bid farewell to the ajjuma who gave her a bright smile and a thumbs uo sign and went on to head to the train station again.

Now that Hanna has left, Bom was now officially unemployed once again. She sighed heavily. She knew she needed to find another employer soon but for tonight, she just wanted to relax and she knew just the right person to call.

She dialed her phone and waited for her best friend to pick up the call.

"Oh, Dara-yah! Where are you?" Bom asked cutely.

Three hours later, Bom was at a small boutique cafe in Hongdae with Dara and her boyfriend, Dong Hae.

Dong Hae had ordered a caramel machiatto. Since neither of the girls could drink coffee they had ordered fruit smoothies instead. They have already tried every available variant of fruit smoothies and also successfully demolished a good portion of the cafe's stock on pastries, much to the amusement of the staff.

"Oh, my god, why did we just discover this place now?! This is heaven on earth!" Dara gushed shamelessly as she scooped another large chunk of the red velvet cake into . She gave a soft squeal of delight as she chewed on the decadent pastry.

"I know right? Thank goodness both of us didn't have a sense of direction and we got lost in this neighborhood!" Bom agreed, before popping a pastel pink macaroon into . She closed her eyes as she relished the sweetness of the pastry.

Dong Hae just sat back on his seat and stared at the two women in amazement.

"Wah... how could you finish all that food?" Dong Hae said in disbelief as he eyed the growing pile of desert plates on their table.
Dara glared at him causing him to raise his hands up in mock surrender.

"So what's the plan? You two are just going to binge on sweets the rest of the evening? I mean, I don't mind, really. This is the best mokbang battle I've seen, ever," Dong Hae joked and that earned him a hard smack from his girlfriend.

"You've eaten over a pound of chocolates and you're still grumpy?" Donghae teased again and this time Dara laughed.

"I did not eat a pound of it! Just half. Bom ate the other half!" Dara said with a laugh.

"Aniya!" Bom said defensively, her cheeks still full of pa

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter