A Fresh Chapter

Hope Springs Eternal
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

"We should end this," he started the conversation.

“Do you at least have a reason?” Hyemi looked at him with tear filled eyes as he ran a hand through his chestnut brown locks.

“I-“ he paused struggling to form the answer he was looking for “I just don’t feel the same about us anymore,”

“That’s okay,” she mumbled not even bearing to look at him any longer and stormed off to her first-period class.

That was the beginning of the end.

 

A Fresh Chapter

Here I was Choi Hyemi, attending my first ever class reunion. Five years had passed and it all seemed as though it was just a distant memory. Like something from a past life playing mind tricks on you. One thing was for sure I never wished to look back on the good old days of high school. Everyone chants at you during your high school years that they will be the best years of your life but for me, that’s not the case. I mean I find it intimidating and overall depressing to think of those four miserable years as the best ones I’ll ever live.

It was also not my idea to even attend this reunion in the first place but rather my best friend’s. With her being the social butterfly that she is insisted I that come with her. Also, by “insisted” I mean barged into my apartment unannounced and practically abducted me. Her excuse is I’m not allowed to become a hermit and she wants what’s best for me.

Hong Areum, she was the best friend a girl could ever hope for. She was outgoing, social, and not to mention the kindest girl I had ever known. I knew she always had my best interest at heart, but I was seriously starting to doubt her judgment.

When we arrived, it seemed as if the party was already in full swing. To be honest I was surprised at the turnout and it was quite entertaining to see all my classmates actually acting like adults for once. Well almost all of them.

“Look there’s Soojin,” Areum laughed and I looked up to see the girl already tipsy with about three guys around her “I swear she gets worse and worse every time we see her,”

Soojin was one of the most popular girls in our class and a total boy magnet. From seeing her on social media from time to time it seemed she was totally content fulfilling her role as a trust fund baby.

I laughed and pushed her towards a table where I spotted some of our other friends already sitting.

“Hyemi!” our friend Lynn beamed as she stood up and hugged me “You look amazing!”

“Thanks! You haven’t changed one bit!” I smiled hugging her back looking over her shoulder towards the bar. My eyes caught the familiar silhouette of a slender man from across the room and I had to force myself to glance away. I laughed feeling a bit uncomfortable as I sat down next to her, but I couldn’t seem to stop staring.

Stealing one more glance at the man I noticed his arm resting across some girl’s shoulder as they talked at the bar. As if he sensed my intense gaze his eyes shifted from the girl he was talking with to mine. I diverted my attention back to the group, but my heart was racing. It couldn’t be him.

He hates things like this so why was he here?

“It’s good to see you guys,” I smiled as I sunk down into the seat and began trying to be a part of their preexisting conversation.

“So, if we were to really pick a person who would represent our entire class the best who would you say?” our former student council president, Choa, asked in all seriousness.

“Well how about we pick a boy and a girl?” our friend Yoojung suggested and she nodded.

“Well, I think we all know who the boy would be,” Areum rolled her eyes making me suppress a laugh.

“Baekhyun, totally!” Choa giggled as I took a sip of Lynn’s drink and glanced away.

“As for girls I think, Soojin,” Yoojung smirked earning a slap from Areum.

“Why because she puts out the most!” she scoffed

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter