Eighth Page

Wishes and Dreams

 

Before fading into unconsciousness caused by sleeping, I used to paint pictures of the two of us in my head. We'll be smiling at each other. We're finally able to look at each other straight in the eye. Sometimes the picture will be you laughing because of a joke I said. I also used to wish that even for once, the dreams I had will be a reality.

 

I hoped I can make someone I loved happy.

 

My wish did somewhat came true, but the person in the picture wasn't you.

 

We had cabinets in our room where we store our books or cleaning materials. The cabinets are placed near the windows. Most of our classmates like to stay there because they can be able to look at anyone who passes by the school. They enjoy judging. I, on the other side, rarely go there. I'm scared of heights, although we were only located at the second floor.

 

One afternoon, I wasn't able to contain the heat anymore so I decided to sit at the cabinet to catch some fresh air.

 

"Excuse... Please, clear the way! Excuse!" Someone kept on shouting. I only realized that that someone was coming towards me when I removed my earphones. It was Myungsoo who was trying to catch a piece of paper. At first, I ignored him. Then I discerned it was his homework being thrown by the air. He worked hard on it. I also tried to grab hold of the paper, but it was falling too fast.

 

Together, we stared at his paper getting wet by the rain. I was about to say sorry to him for not catching the paper for him when he said, "Why are you here?"

 

I was taken aback by his question. "This is still part of the classroom.", I said defensively.

 

A shy grin appeared in his face. "What I mean is, you never go here.", he said while touching the back of his neck.

 

"Just... Coming out for air."

 

I was busy watching people walking fro and to the university yet I still felt the creaking of the cabinets when Myungsoo sat in it. He opened the windows fully, making a strong wind blow towards us.

 

"I'm hungry." I was not supposed to say it out loud but it slipped out of my tongue. It's already quarter to five and we were also practicing for a dance presentation so my stomach can't help but scream. "I need chicken. I need it as much as I want a love life."

 

I saw in the corner of my eye Myungsoo smiling. Everyone is present at the room, but it felt like we were alone during that time. The only thing we can hear is the whooshing of the air.

 

Myungsoo has a distinctive smell. According to Yuna, it's because of his uni Channel perfume. The confusing thing is I can smell him even though he's meters away from me. Whenever I can smell him, I already know he is inside the room or he's near.

 

No, I don't smell anything from you.

 

"Is your boyfriend starving you?" He curiously asked.

 

I looked at him, then I started laughing. I laughed until my stomach hurt. It was clear in Myungsoo's expression he didn't know the reason why.

 

"What's funny?"

 

It took me several tries before I was able to calm myself. "Me," I pointed at myself. "A boyfriend?" After it, I can't help but laugh again.

 

How would I have a boyfriend if no one even dares checking me out?

 

Myungsoo must have thought I was laughing because I was underestimating myself. The truth is I was laughing because I am slowly becoming like the Nerds.

 

A hopeless romantic.

 

After three years, you were my sole target. All my attention and time was poured out to you. I didn't have any boyfriend for I wanted it to be you. I was dreaming about it even if a meteorite falling to Earth which may cause the world's destruction is more possible to happen than for an 'us' to happen. We don't even have communication, how much more with developing feelings for each other?

 

"You never had any boyfriend ever since?"

 

I agreed with what he said. I never had any boyfriend ever since because of my characteristics- I'm pretty enough, smart and kind. These said characteristics are also the same reason why people became afraid of liking me. I wanted to say those words to him, but I decided not to.

 

"Me too. I also didn't have any girlfriend ever since."

 

Silence followed our conversation. Interestingly, it wasn't because the talk became too awkward for us to follow but because we don't have anything to say anymore. We both wanted what he said to be hanging.

 

"We were too perfect for their standards." Myungsoo decided to break the ensuing silence. "They're afraid of liking us because they can't be compared to us. There are two things humans hate the most: being compared and losing."

 

I looked at him straight in the eye. He stared back. His eyes were glinting because of the light bulb ahead. Then, slowly, my lips drew a smile. As if on cue, we both laughed at the same time. We have too many similarities, even the way we think.

 

I had many wishes that should have happened about us, Jungkook. I did everything, so I can fulfill even one out of the thousands I had. But with Myungsoo, I didn't even think about it, but it happened.