Eleventh Page

Wishes and Dreams

Three weeks after Myungsoo and I became seatmates, we had an orientation about writing a good research paper. You can hear students heaving sighs as our teacher announces that we will begin writing our term papers about literary works the very same day. As if it t was hard enough- having a limited scope- she pressed us further by stating that it will be done individually. Nevertheless, we cannot do anything but listen to our teacher's further instructions and silence our rallying hearts.

 

We had our Research Paper Lecture at the school auditorium. It has a sitting capacity of 200 people and can have 500 when standing. It has a stage and a podium, where our teacher was standing and was staring blankly. The seats were like those seats found in the cinemas. You still need to lower down the seat before you can sit down. I noticed that I was the only one who sat partially slanted. I can sit in those chairs with my foot not touching the floor. It was weird, but I found that position most comfortable.

 

We were seated at the middle row. Myungsoo was between me and Jiyi. It was obvious that Jiyi planned the seating arrangement. The man she loves who doesn't return her feelings was located at the opposite side of the world so she's making me and Myungsoo be her temporary 'source of butterflies'. That time, I've told numerous people about my discovered crush in my seatmate and Jiyi was one of them.

 

Several seconds have passed when Myungsoo suddenly stood up and walked to towards the direction of the Boys seated at the back row. Jiyi immediately slumped back in her chair. She gave me sad puppy eyes, as if she was saying sorry to me for her failed plan. I smiled a curt smile at her, assuring her that it was not her fault. Then I also stood up and sat in front together with the Nerds.

 

The lecture was about to start when I heard someone shouting my name.

 

"Suji-ssi! Suji-ssi! Suji-ssi!"

 


My name was repeatedly said like a broken gramophone. I looked around to search for whoever was calling me and know what they wanted from me. The calls sounded so desperate. It was Myungsoo, and he was waving his hands up in the air.

 


"Ms. Lee, please sit down if you don't want to be kicked out of the room." The teacher whispered in my ears discreetly so I was forced to sit down without ever knowing why Myungsoo was acting that way.

 


The lesson had ended, but it signaled the start of a new practice. Everyday, after that boring-but-we-should-not-sleep talk, we go to the library and bury our heads in hundreds of books just to find evidences and sources for our project. English was before lunch so most of our classmates don't bother to eat anymore. They prefer to spend their lunchtime on books rather than foods. But since I have hyperacidity, I always make sure that I eat at the right time

 

.
Did you know that Myungsoo used to call me "good girl' when he found out that I never skipped meals?

 


Completing the required 40 sources was a piece of cake for me. I was no stranger to the library. I was a regular there and I was even able to finish reading all books in the two-shelved fiction books. This advantage of mine helped me a lot. While the others were still thinking where they should start searching, I was already going back to the table with five or less books stacked in my head as if I was training to be a beauty queen.

 


It only took me three days to reach halfway of my research proposal. I can still recall the title of it. Dante's Inferno: A Genius of Combining Allegories and Symbols to Form Imaginations Into Puzzles. In it, I compiled some highlights showing reasons why one should praise Dante's work. He was able to sew allegories in his story without making it obvious that it contains a different meaning, and not just the literal one.

 


I was helping one of the Nerds when Myungsoo texted me to go to the Almanac Area. The Almanac Area was the farthest section in the library. It was also the most remote. I guess it ran out of date, considering the easy access of internet at modern days. Nevertheless, I still went to where he told me to be.

 


"Suji, I know I still owe you a favor, but for this one moment only- this will happen only once, I'd like to ask a favor from you." He said, both of his hands placed on top of my shoulders. He took a deep breath. I sensed that he was hesitating. He looked at me straight in the eye, although he still needed to look down to do so. "Can you help me in completing my sources? Please?"

 


I didn't answer his question right away. I told him I'll think about it first.

 


I went back to my table with the Nerd who immediately grilled me with questions. They asked me where I came from and why I suddenly disappeared like a bubble fading in the air. I answered their question by telling them Myungsoo's request. I saw Yuna, the ever frank, shake her head disapprovingly.

 


"Don't help him." She coldly said.

 


I asked her why. I asked her if helping someone in need is wrong. Sharing is caring.

 


"You're being a fool, Suji." I was used to Yuna's unfiltered mouth, but hearing those words come out from her own mouth astounded me. Even the way she's saying it. It felt like she was a parent who grew tired of scolding her hard-headed child."How many times has he asked a favor from you? In Math? In Physics? In Economics? And now, English? What are you, a dog that can be asked to do any errands anytime?"

 

Her statement hushed the other Nerds.

 

"Your parents raised you like a princess, but you're willing to be a slave and do whatever he says just because you have developed feelings for him? Yeah, we all know that Myungsoo's not that kind of a bastard, but we also don't know him very well yet. Learn to say no, for God's sake. Not just with Myungsoo, but with everyone else, because people will abuse your kindness. Be assertive."

 


She packed her belongings. All the Nerds also did so, even though some were not yet done with their own affairs. Yuna gave me a piercing stare, but deep inside, I saw warmth in it. Her words might stung, but it was done for my own good. She was just doing her task as a real friend. Which is to protect me.

 


Yuna sighed. "You're going to be a doctor. Not a saint."