Who's Chasing Who? (II)

Race You To Her Heart

 

RACE YOU TO HER HEART;
Chapter 12: Who's Chasing Who? (II)

 

The long awaited winter break finally rolled in casually, and Nayeon and her fellow highschoolers all leaped for joy. Highschool was indeed no joke, and Nayeon really needed a break. 


She thought of plans on hanging out with her friends, getting a part time job, watching movies, reading all the books she didn't have time for, and of course plans to hang out with Dahyun. But any hope for that last plan of hers was dashed, as the younger girl had to go visit her home town most of the winter break. 


Still, Nayeon did have a good winter break hanging out with her other friends. She was close with her seniors in showchior so, when she wasn't busy working as a part time tutor, the big group of them would all go shopping or karaoke together. 


She'd hangout with her best friend Jeongyeon at malls and arcades or at Jeongyeon's father's restaurant. Some of the guys would ask her out too (be it to hang out as friends or on casual dates) and she would find herself at movies or having dinners at various sort of places – from having steaks in fancy restaurants to ttoekbokki at roadside stalls – and it was rather interesting for her. 


Out of all the guys that asked her out, Nayeon was most comfortable with Nichkhyun – a sunbae (senior) she respected and who was her main dance partner in show chior. 


The two had spent a lot of time together ever since they were paired together when she was in her first year of high school. Thus, they were no doubt close. Nayeon admitted that they had chemistry too – everyone could sense it – so there were definitely rumors about the two of them dating; they were both well aware of that. 


It wasn't long before they had tried dating for a bit. They even went on a couple of serious dates before too... 


Nichkhyun was a great guy to be honest. But Nayeon found that she could only treat him as more of an older brother, a sunbae she'd look up to, and a close friend than anything more. The idea of being with him wasn't terrible at all... (They even kissed once and it didn't feel so bad.) 


But it just didn't seem right to Nayeon. 


Of course, everything made more sense once she realised how she already had somebody else in her heart... a certain anemic runner.


Nichkhyun was cool about it though (him and Nayeon not working out), sure he was interested in Nayeon before, but he does see her as a good friend too and he also respected her as a lady. So even if they didn't end up as lovers, he was perfectly okay with it. Besides, he knew he was popular in school... And how there were plenty of other fishes in the sea; if he really wanted to date someone for real he was sure he'd be able to find someone. 


Still the two remained as close friends and the rumors about them dating didn't seem to ever fade (no matter how many times they denied of it or tried to explain themselves...) Until the both of them kinda got use to it one day – being seen as the model couple in school – and neither of them even bothered to correct anyone who assumed they were together anymore... Especially those fans they had who would often watch and support them at their performances. Gosh the wild nonsensical imagination they had of Nayeon and Nichkhyun together – that they had spread along as more rumors – were just hilariously ridiculous.


So yeah, apart from the bratty rich kid she had to tutor,  Nayeon's winter break wasn't so bad, since it was filled with memories she had made with some of her closest friends.


It would've been better with Dahyun around though. Nayeon really missed the younger girl... Just texting her simply wasn't enough. She couldn't wait for school to start so she could see Dahyun again. 


When school did start though... things started to get more hectic for Nayeon and half of her sort of wished  winter break would return soon. 


She did get to see Dahyun again though – the girl would be dressed in her spring uniform and it was simply adorable – and Dahyun seemed to still be always waiting for Nayeon after school.


Some of her friends started to notice the younger girl – who  had now decided to wait right outside of Nayeon's school gate instead – and they would ask about her.


"Hey Nayeon there's always this kid waiting for you after school, is she your cousin or something?"


Nope.


"Nayeon-ssi does that friend of yours happen to have a boyfriend?"


What? No. Not that I know of...


"Hey Nayeon do you think you can introduced that friend of yours to me? She's cute."


Hah no way! You can dream on... Why would I introduce Dahyun to you.


And Nayeon started to get a little worried about the boys from her school bothering Dahyun. So she tried her best to leave school earlier if possible, so that the younger girl doesn't have to wait too long. But Dahyun always seemed to be there waiting a whole lot earlier than Nayeon could ever be released from school... So the older girl could only resort to praying that those y highschoolers don't prey on her innocent little Dahyun.


She also warned those guys in her school not to even dare try and hit on Dahyun or they'd have to face her wrath - and  Nayeon wasn't the easiest person to deal with when she was really mad. On Dahyun's side, Nayeon made an effort to try and brainwas-  um... ahem, or rather, tell Dahyun, to not care or be too friendly with those guys from her school if they ever approached her.


"Just don't entertain them, if they ever talk to you! You can even ignore them if you want to," Nayeon told her.


"But why?" Dahyun had asked her innocently. "They seemed nice, especially Jun.K sunbae-nim and Wooyoung sunbae-nim..."


"Oh God, you even know their names now?" Nayeon said with slight frustration in her voice, as she ran a hand through her hair. She wanted to bang her head against the walls of the bus she and  Dahyun were in... Or even better bang her annoying friends Jun.K and Wooyoung's heads against each other's.


"What's wrong Nayeon unnie?" Dahyun had wondered on, concerned about Nayeon's reaction.


"Nothing's wrong... J-just... Don't talk to them too much  okay?" She almost plead. Damn it... Why did her friends had to be good looking and annoying flirts.


Dahyun had nodded obediently at that with an adorably clueless grin plastered on her face. And Nayeon felt like banging her head against the wall again... But this time though for different reasons.


Argh... Seriously... 


Why was Dahyun so damn cute? 


Why was Dahyun so trusting of Nayeon? 


How can Dahyun just obey Nayeon like that, agreeing to whatever she told her without giving it much thought... and then go on grinning like that... Like the precious being she was.


Nayeon really wanted to kiss her then.


Nayeon really wanted to make Dahyun her's.


But Nayeon couldn't. 


So, she had controlled herself – trying hard to calm her racing heart – and settled with pinching Dahyun on the cheeks instead.



-



Since more performances were coming up, show chior practice started to get more intense. Everything had to be perfect for the show, so everyone of them practiced hard. 


Apart from club practices, the students all had extra rehearsals by themselves; including Nayeon and Nichkhyun. The two were once again paired together for the upcoming spring festival performance and Nichkhyun – who had high standards – would drag Nayeon to practice with him since they had many 'couple dance' and duet parts together. 


Nayeon didn't mind though; she loved being in show chior so even though it was tiring, she did enjoy herself. Or at least she tried her best to.


Along with the heavy amount of school work and her other responsibilities in the student council, Nayeon found that she had lesser time to spend on other things. One of them being... going home with her favorite Kim Dahyun.


"I can't go home with you today Dahyun-ah, I'm going with Nic oppa," Nayeon would say.


"Ah, you can leave without me I have plans again. Sorry..." Nayeon would tell her.


"Eh, sorry Dahyun-ah... I have a project to do today with my classmates. Tomorrow! I'll take the bus with you tomorrow instead."


But the showchior coach just wouldn't let her off. Nichkhyun didn't either... That guy could be so uptight sometimes. Maybe it was because he was graduating soon? "We have to practice more Nayeon!" He always told her.


"Um... it turned out I can't make it... I have to meet Nic oppa later on. Sorry again Dahyun-ah!" She had to tell Dahyun. 


And Nayeon felt her heart  sank because... Was that a frown on Dahyun's face?


Was Dahyun perhaps disappointed?


Still, the younger girl would  always put on a smile after, telling Nayeon, "oh okay Nayeon unnie... Then I guess  I'll get going first."


Nayeon truly felt bad inside to  be honest, especially since she knew how the younger girl had been waiting for her for awhile. But it couldn't be helped... Yes, Nayeon had a huge crush on Dahyun, but Dahyun wasn't her girlfriend (at least not yet)... Heck Dahyun probably only saw her as a good friend and nice unnie (that thought had made Nayeon kinda bitter) and so Nayeon decided that she had other priorities in life.


Besides... Dahyun would always be waiting for her right?... If she got tired of  waiting, she could just leave first anyway... Dahyun had a life too didn't she?


Ah, but why does Nayeon not  like the idea of that?


Perhaps Nayeon was being  selfish... But she had really  hoped that Dahyun would be  waiting for her forever.


She had secretly hoped that, each time she left the school  with Nichkhyun by her side... Dahyun would feel the slightest bit of jealousy... Just like how she felt when she  always saw the younger girl with Jackson.


Ah, but Dahyun couldn't possibly be jealous... After all  Nayeon was the only one in  love... 

 

right? 

 

-

 

"Annyeong Dahyun-ah!" Nayeon yelled when she saw Dahyun outside her school. Her show chior coach  had finally decided to let her off early that day.


She saw Dahyun's face lit up upon seeing her, and Nayeon's heart leaped inside. Jihyo was standing there too, probably waiting for her ride home. Nayeon pondered on for a second if she should greet her schoolmate... But Jihyo ignored her, as usual, and Nayeon dropped that idea.


Dahyun was not focusing on her as the younger girl waved back at Nayeon; she seemed to be looking pass Nayeon instead.


'Is there someone behind me?' Nayeon thought curiously.


"Where's Nichkhyun sunbae-nim?" Dahyun then asked.


Nayeon looked at her with an eyebrow raised, "He's still practicing in the music room," she said. Nichkhyun the perfectionist was as uptight as always...


"Oh..." Dahyun said.


"Why? Aren't you waiting for me?" Nayeon asked, a little upset. Why was Dahyun  looking for Nichkhyun? Did she have another handkerchief to return again? Was there something going on between the two of them?


"Not everyone has to wait for you all the time, Nayeon," Jihyo cut into Nayeon's  thoughts.


Nayeon sighed, "I wasn't talking to you Jihyo." ... The world would definitely be a better place if Jihyo could be nicer to her... Oh and pigs  could probably fly.


"But I was waiting for you though," she heard Dahyun continue. "I was just wondering if you'll be off somewhere with Nichkhyun sunbae-nim again..."


Nayeon's smile returned then. "Oh," she breathed simply. She was suddenly hopeful... Had Dahyun been jealous of Nayeon going with Nichkhyun all the time? "Well, I'm not. So... let's go home together Dahyun-ah."

...

 
On their way back home Nayeon told Dahyun about the performance coming up and about practicing all the time with Nichkhyun. "We're dance partners again for the annual spring festival's performance," Nayeon told her excitedly. 


She was holding Dahyun's hand lightly, playing with her fingers. Honestly, Nayeon didn't know why she was doing that but somehow her hands always found it's way to Dahyun's. "It'll be like a school dance party with loads of food and music and performances," Nayeon continued saying.


I wish you could come too, Nayeon had secretly thought. And Dahyun could, if Nayeon decided to ask her along... The school did say that the students could bring along one person... as their date. So if she did do that, she would have to ask Dahyun along... as her date.


Her date. 


Nayeon would have loved that. Slow-dancing with Dahyun in the school hall, with everyone  else there watching. As though they were a couple... As though they were in love... As though Dahyun was her's.


But she didn't have the guts to ask Dahyun.


What if Nayeon came off as too aggressive and it scared the younger girl away? (Well... A date was a rather  scary title after all.) 

What if Dahyun didn't feel the same way about  Nayeon? 

 

What if Dahyun rejected her?

 

"Ah I see," Dahyun said, making her snap out of her thoughts. "I thought you guys were dating." 


"What?" Nayeon laughed. "No we're not! We're just really good friends!" 


She watched a relieved expression take over Dahyun; and for a second there Nayeon wondered if Dahyun was relieved over the fact that Nichkhyun and her weren't dating.


Why is that though?


Was Dahyun worried that  she'd date Nichkhyun?... 

But why? 

Did Dahyun secretly liked her too?... Nayeon thought to herself, feeling hopeful again. 

But wait... What if the one Dahyun liked was Nichkhyun instead?


Maybe she should test  Dahyun...


"Oh but... he did ask me to be his date at the dance..." Nayeon decided to trail off, looking away. "Should I... say yes?"


The younger girl stared at her as though stunned... And Nayeon didn't know what to feel.


She nervously expected an  answer... But instead the younger girl only shrugged, looking away. 


"Dahyun-ah?" Nayeon called her. Why did the younger girl seem upset? 


She watched as Dahyun looked out of the window... Was Dahyun sulking? 


At that, Nayeon tugged at Dahyun's chin gently to make the younger girl face her. She met eyes with Dahyun, holding her gaze for a moment. 


What exactly are you thinking about... Please tell me Dahyun-ah?


"Do you think I should go with him?" Nayeon asked again softly.


"I..." Dahyun stuttered out. "I-I don't know..." She mumbled. "You should... just do whatever makes you happy," Dahyun finally said.


Nayeon let go of the younger girl's chin then, and Dahyun went to looked away again.


Nayeon didn't know if she should be glad. Dahyun wanted her to be happy... That was sweet of her... But still, she didn't get the answer she  wanted... She had wanted Dahyun to tell her not to go with Nichkhyun.


It was childish of her – Nayeon  admitted – but she was a little mad.


"Fine..." Nayeon said while letting go of Dahyun's hand. "I will."



-



"So about the spring festival... Have you considered my offer?" 


Nayeon felt like a coward.


She'd hate to admit it but she was indeed behaving like one.


"Sure Nic oppa, I'd love to be your date to the dance," she replied while packing her stuff. As usual Nichkhyun and Nayeon were the last to leave the music room.


Nichkhyun smiled, "Really?"


"Yeah," Nayeon nodded. "It's not like we aren't already going to be dancing together anyway."


"Whoop that's great!" Nichkhyun cheered childishly. "It's settled then, you're my date to the dance."


And Nayeon giggled, amused; not many people got to see  this side of him. "Yes I am," she happily said while carrying her bag. "Hey Nic oppa I'm done packing so..." I'll see you tomorrow, she was about to say.


"Oh I'm done too!" He told her before she could. "Shall we leave together then Miss Im?" He asked playfully, extending his arm for Nayeon to take.


Nayeon rolled her eyes jokingly at his nonsense, while going to hook her arm around Nichkhyun's. "Let's go already."



-



When the two of them strolled together towards the school gate, Nayeon kinda expected to see a bored Dahyun waiting for her. But what she wasn't expecting to see was a cheery Dahyun chatting up a storm with her classmate Ok Taecyeon. 


"Oh look at Taecyeon flirting  with little Dahyun and all, aren't they cute?" Nichkhyun had casually commented.


Nayeon had laughed after that. It was the kind of  laughter that sounded as though it meant 'Hahaha you're so funny Nic oppa!', when  what it really meant was 'Ha. Ha. Ha. What are you talking about, you can't be serious Nic oppa.'


"Annyeong Dahyun-ah," Nayeon greeted her. Followed by a surprised look towards Taecyeon, as though asking what was he doing talking to Dahyun. Taecyeon just shrugged with a grin.


"Oh Nayeon unn-" She heard Dahyun say happily when the younger girl froze, eyes staring at something.


Nayeon followed Dahyun's gaze to her arm on Nichkhyun's... And suddenly she felt a sort of panic... 


What if Dahyun got the wrong idea about Nichkhyun and her? 


Well, from the way Dahyun was looking at them, the younger girl probably was thinking what the rest of Nayeon's school had thought about them; that they were a couple.


Nayeon felt as though she was caught cheating or something and she had momentarily wanted to let go of Nichkhyun's arm... But then she remembered how Dahyun wasn't even her girlfriend... So she stood there watching as Dahyun's wide grin faded into a forced smile when Nayeon continued to let her arm be hooked with Nichkhyun's. "H-hello Nayeon unnie..." Dahyun mumbled eventually.


Nayeon doesn't know if she should be happy about getting this sort of reaction from Dahyun or not. Yes, she wanted Dahyun to be jealous. But no, she most certainly didn't want Dahyun to be upset. And right now, Dahyun definitely seemed upset.


"Hi Taecyeon, hi Dahyun-ssi, are y'all having a good day?" Ah, that Nichkhyun... he just had to be so clueless about the situation, cheerily greeting them to make it worse.


"Dahyun-ah l–"


"I have to go," the younger girl rushed out before Nayeon could even finish.


"Huh but aren't we–"


"I suddenly remember that I have to do something," she said while looking down. "Um... I'll see you guys around." Dahyun bowed, before hastily jogging away.


That was unusual... Dahyun never bows to Nayeon, they were too close for this sort of formality. But Dahyun just bowed a goodbye to Nayeon. She didn't even meet her eyes.


"Hm? Seems like she really had something important to do," Nichkhyun said. "Shall we have dinner together then? Since you're not going home with Dahyun today?"


And Nayeon felt her heart break a little bit as she let her arm slip away from Nichkhyun's. "No thanks, I think I'll just go home."


What was that all about... Kim Dahyun?


 

-



Nayeon doesn't see Dahyun at all the following week. 


She'd leave her school hoping the younger girl would be waiting for her as usual by the gates... But Dahyun wasn't there. It was obvious that the younger girl was avoiding her. 


That week was a terrible week for Nayeon.


Her show choir coach seemed to be making practice more difficult for her too. She couldn't seem to concentrate in class. While the teacher was busy plotting some stupid graph about velocity and time... All Nayeon could think about was how fast Dahyun could run on the field... And how much time she hadn't seen the girl. Needless to say... She got called out a lot.


"Im Nayeon-ssi, please pay attention!"


Hence, it was a rather terrible week for Nayeon.


That's not all. Nayeon also noticed how every time Jihyo and her bump into each other, Jihyo would cast her a look of distain... She would also deliberately bump her shoulder into Nayeon on purpose.


Which was more mean than usual... and not to mention a little odd, since Jihyo would usually just ignore her presence as much as possible. 


Nayeon just couldn't take it anymore one particular Friday, so she went ahead to questioned the big-eyed girl when she once again threw Nayeon that offending glance.


"Could you stop giving me that look? I don't owe you a living you know."


Jihyo only clicked her tongue, going to look at her phone. "Player." She muttered under her breath.


Nayeon wasn't the type to respond to gossip and rumors about her... Nor did she usually bother to entertain Jihyo's negativity... She also wouldn't pick a fight on purpose with anyone. The Im Nayeon everyone knew was usually rather calm and composed and always nice... But Nayeon had a terrible terrible week then and a horribly tiring day and she had no Dahyun to cheer her up and... Nayeon just snapped. 


It couldn't be helped. 


She was only human after all.


"Yah!" Nayeon stormed in front of Jihyo. "Park Jihyo what did you mean by that!"


Jihyo ignored her. Which made her even more pissed.


"Park Jisoo I'm talking to you!"


Jihyo glared at her. "What's your problem Im Nayeon?"


"No, what is your problem Jisoo?!" Nayeon half-yelled. 


"I've been tolerating all your crap for the past two years  and I'm sick of it! Sick. Of. It. I tried being nice to you, I really did! But why can't we- no, why can't YOU just let us get along like normal people? Why are  you making life so difficult for me?!"


"Oh wow," Jihyo scoffed. "Don't make yourself sound so considerate Im Nayeon, when you're just like the rest of them."


"What are you even talking about Park Jisoo?!" 


"Stop making use of that poor kid," Jihyo snapped.


"What? Who on earth did I make–"
 

"Dahyun," Jihyo sighed. "Stop toying with Dahyun's feelings."


Well that definitely caught Nayeon off guard. "Since when did I toy with her feelings?" she asked, this time softening her tone. Nayeon would never delibrately toy with Dahyun's feelings. Who would even do that to someone like Dahyun? "D-did she tell you that?" Nayeon whispered out. "Does Dahyun think that I'm toying with her feelings?" Is that why she has been avoiding Nayeon?
 

"No," Jihyo scoffs, "but I could tell. You have been manipulating the innocent kid."
 

Nayeon sighed in relief, glad that Dahyun didn't actually say any of that (thank God!), before glaring at Jihyo. "Don't casually say things like that, when you don't even know anything Park Jisoo," Nayeon said, feeling so done with their conversion. Why did she even decide to pick a fight with Jihyo that day? She must be out of her mind. She starts walking away from the big-eyed girl.


"Dahyun can be a little dense, but she's still a good kid," she heard Jihyo say to her back. "so if you don't feel the same way towards her, you should make it clear and stop giving her false hope." And Nayeon stops walking. "What do you mean feel the same way towards her?"
 

Jihyo looked at Nayeon as though she's stupid. "Yah, Im Nayeon don't pretend that you don't know."


Nayeon furrowed her eyebrows, "Well I really don't." Whatever that even meant.


Jihyo rolled her eys, "Well the kid obviously likes you, stupid."


For awhile, Nayeon found herself to be speechless after that. 


"Hah," she later scoffed at Jihyo. "Stop talking nonsense Jisoo." Then she continued walking away.
 

Inside, Nayeon's heart was ramming against her chest so quickly, she had found it hard to breath.

 

She couldn't sleep when she got home that night... Nayeon spent hours pondering over what Jihyo had said.


She prayed – from the bottom of her heart – that it was true.


That Dahyun indeed likes her back.


That all this time,
she wasn't the only one

 

in love.

 


 

A/N Hi everyone, whew that was one long chapter huh? I hope you enjoyed it though kekeke. Ah I said I'd update in 2 days but i was late haha, please forgive me. I'm excited for what is about to happen in the next two chapters so I hope you'll bear with me for now. Have a great Sunday everyone!:)