Chasing Im Nayeon (X)

Race You To Her Heart

 

 


 

RACE YOU TO HER HEART; 
Chapter 10: Chasing Im Nayeon (X)

 

Nayeon was awfully silent throughout their bus ride home together. Which was a little odd to Dahyun since the older girl was usually all bubbly and chatty when she was with Dahyun. The silence wasn't uncomfortable though, in fact it was too comfortable, with Nayeon clinging onto Dahyun's arm, her head resting on Dahyun's shoulder and her scent invading Dahyun's senses. Yes, it was too comfortable... And Dahyun was about to fall asleep.


...


Dahyun later wakes up to a ticklish sensation on her nose. She sniffs, hand going to scatch it only to feel something else on her face. "W-wahh?!" She let out, startled. "N-nayeon unnie!" She whined, realizing how the older girl was messing with the tip of her nose. 


It turned out Dahyun did fall asleep anyway.


She heard Nayeon chuckle softly. "Finally awake?" Nayeon said with a small grin. "It's your stop soon, silly." 


Dahyun lifted a hand to rub at her eyes, "Oh..." She murmured sleepily. "Hey Nayeon unnie," she mumbled out, still half-asleep. "Are you and Jihyo unnie friends?"


Nayeon blinked, staring at Dahyun for a moment seemingly surprised, before her expression changed into something else... Something Dahyun can't quite fathom. "I don't know," Nayeon deadpanned, looking away. "Why don't you ask her..."


Sensing Nayeon's mood change, Dahyun was suddenly more awake. "Oh..." She whispered awkwardly. Was she not suppose to ask that? She was really curious though. Maybe she should really ask Jihyo about it instead.


"I'm sorry," Nayeon sighed. "It's just... I don't want to talk about it."


Dahyun giggled softly, "It's okay," she said. "You don't have to apologize."



Nayeon stared at Dahyun, her lips slowly tugging downwards before she sighed again. Dahyun felt her heart ache for a second. It was obvious that Nayeon was upset, and Dahyun didn't like that. 


Nayeon continued resting her head on Dahyun's shoulder, as she played with the younger girl's fingers. "Dahyun-ah, do you... have time today... Like Right now?"


The younger girl glanced at her hand in Nayeon's. She was probably going to ask Dahyun to go somewhere with her.  Dahyun had mixed feelings on whether she should say she's free, she also had mixed feelings about whether she should pull her hand away from Nayeon, since she was starting to enjoy having her hand in Nayeon's too much. 


Does Nayeon do this to Nichkhyun too?  


"Hmm... Well I finished my homework early so..." Dahyun eventually breathed when Nayeon stared at her with puppy like eyes. Dahyun just couldn't say no. "Yes, I'm free I guess."

 


-

 

Somehow they ended up at an old deserted playground in their neighborhood. The sun was setting as they stared out into the distance, Dahyun was sitting on a swing, and Nayeon was sitting on a bench in front of her. Dahyun swung on the swing by herself, while Nayeon sat there watching her.  


"Where did you go?" Nayeon suddenly asked. 


"Huh?" Dahyun answered, confused, as she flew up and down. "I'm right here?"


"No... What I meant was... I didn't see you for awhile," Nayeon said. "Have you been busy lately?"


"Oh yeah," Dahyun went. "Track practice got more intense lately..." 
'Also I was kinda avoiding you...'' Dahyun thought, but she couldn't possible tell Nayeon that.


"Ah it did? Do you have sports events coming up?"


"Yeah," Dahyun nodded. "Oh and coach even made me vice-captain today!" Dahyun chirped. 


"Really?" Nayeon gasped at the news. "Congratulations Dahyun-ah, that's great!" 


"Thanks hehe! Jackson was so happy he carried me to the cafeteria and forced me to buy him drinks!" Dahyun told her. "Ah but... I hope I don't disappoint my coach though..."


Nayeon casted her a gentle smile, "You won't, I'm sure you'll do fine. You're a champion after all."


"What?" Dahyun giggled. "You think too highly of me Nayeon unnie, but yeah I hope so," Dahyun grinned. She placed her legs on the ground to stop the swing from swinging. "How about you? You seem busy too Nayeon unnie," she commented while looking at the older girl. Oh how she had missed her so... 


"It was... Okay," Nayeon said. 


Dahyun looked at her with doubt. "Are you sure?" She asked. 


"No... Highschool ," Nayeon admitted after awhile. "And... I miss you." She whispered that last part out while looking down. 


Dahyun blushed. I missed you too, Nayeon unnie. She wanted to say... But somehow she couldn't bring herself to. 


"There's so much work to do now and tests are coming up... But showchior practice is crazy..." The older girl continued, sulking as she spoke. "And the teachers are crazy and Jihyo is crazy and everyone is annoying and stressful and just... Argh!"


"I see..." Dahyun nodded along. She hopped off the swing walking directly in front of Nayeon, who had a small frown on her face. "You're super stressed out huh?" Dahyun asked bending down lower to meet Nayeon's eyes.


She can't help but notice how her heart would skip a beat every time their eyes met...

 

It's funny though... Now that she knew that she was in love with Nayeon, the fluttering feeling she would feel in her chest had intensified. Before, Dahyun would have nervously darted her eyes away... but now she found that she wanted to gaze into Nayeon's eyes for as long as possible... until that feeling became too much for her.


It was rather thrilling.


Dahyun would have compared it to a similar feeling as when a horn or a gunshot went off right before a race started. Or that feeling when she accidentally tripped over something, only to have regained her balance from luckily holding onto something – or better yet – have someone there to catch her. No, maybe it was more like the feeling when you rode a rollercoaster; right before you fell off from a great height... the part where you'd involuntarily hold you breath.

 

Whatever it was... Dahyun liked it – this feeling Nayeon gave her – she liked it very very much.

 

Why had she only noticed this now though? Perhaps it was because she had finally realised her feelings for Nayeon that she became more well aware of these things.
 

How interesting...

 

Nayeon sighed again before giving her a nod, and Dahyun tries not to be too distracted by that feeling.


"Hmm..." Dahyun thought for a moment. "You know what you should do?"


"What?" Nayeon asked. 


"Nothing," Dahyun said simply. She then went to grab Nayeon's hands, tugging her onto her feet. 


Dahyun led the older girl to the swing, motioning for her to sit down, before going behind to start pushing her. 


The swing creaked softly as the older girl let out a small laugh, "What are you doing?"


"Shhh..." Dahyun shushed her. "You're suppose to be doing nothing Nayeon unnie."


Nayeon shook her head at the younger girl's antics. "And how am I suppose to do that?"


"Hmm... Just empty your mind." Dahyun told her. "Enjoy the fresh air... Close your eyes and imagine that you're flying!"


"What?" Nayeon laughed. "That's silly."


"Shhhh," Dahyun tried again. "Just try it."


After awhile a comfortable silence fell between them. It was rather therapeutic, hearing nothing but the occasional creaks from the rusty chains of the swing - repeatedly at intervals - paired with the soft rustling of the leaves when a gentle breeze blew by. 


Nayeon definitely felt less stressed when the swing finally stopped, Dahyun could tell because she had that familiar warm smile - that Dahyun loved - plastered across her face when Dahyun went back in front of her to check on her later on. 


"Do you feel better now?" Dahyun asked, concerned as she stared at the older girl who had her eyes closed. 


Nayeon blinked her eyes open to see Dahyun, who was bending down closer to her with an innocent look on her face. 


She smiled, standing up to wrap her arms around Dahyun's neck.

 

"Yes..." She murmured into Dahyun's shoulder, and Dahyun's heart fluttered.

 

"Much better."

 

 

And Dahyun decided at that moment that she didn't want to avoid Nayeon anymore. 


 

-


 

Dahyun went back to her routine of waiting for Nayeon after school. She was glad to do so, why did she even stop in the first place? 


She'd still see Nichkhyun and Nayeon together most of the time, but Dahyun chose to ignore the unpleasant feeling she felt when she saw them. 


"Still hanging around Im Nayeon?" Jihyo asked her one day. 


"Yes," Dahyun said with a smile. And Jihyo scoffed. 


"I don't understand how you can be so passive about this," Jihyo said while looking at her phone as usual. Dahyun raised an eyebrow, confused. 


"I mean, if you're not going to give up," Jihyo paused looking up at Dahyun. "Shouldn't you do something about it?"


"About what?" Dahyun asked. 


"About that..." Jihyo muttered, nudging her head towards the two people who were walking towards the school gate. It was Nayeon... and Nichkhyun, with his arm around her shoulder. 


"Well..." Dahyun sighed helplessly. "What am I suppose to do about it?" Yes, what was she suppose to do? Dahyun couldn't possibly tell Nayeon what to do, nor who to hang out with, or who to date... Who was she to do so? 


Jihyo clicked her tongue. "Gosh you two are equally as hopeless..." Jihyo muttered. 


Dahyun was about to ask her what she meant when she felt a pair of arms encircle her waist. "Annyeong Dahyun-ah..." She heard Nayeon greet her, before she placed her chin lightly on Dahyun's shoulder. 


Dahyun could feel her heart racing as she greeted Nayeon back. "H-hi Nayeon unnie." She also saw Jihyo roll her eyes at them, going to look at her phone again. 


"What were you and Jisoo talking about?" Nayeon asked casually. 


"Yah Im Nayeon, for the last time, stop calling me that," Jihyo spat. "And we don't have to tell you what we were talking about. Who do you think you are?" 


Dahyun kept quiet, taken aback by the change of atmosphere. It made her more curious about Nayeon and Jihyo's past friendship... If they even had one. "Um... Let's go home together Nayeon unnie?" Dahyun mumbled, trying to change the subject... Which (luckily for her) worked, because Nayeon totally ignored Jihyo. 


"Okay, let me say goodbye to Nic oppa first," Nayeon said. 


"Sure," Dahyun replied. You can say goodbye to him forever for all I care.



-



On their way to the busstop Dahyun heard someone call her from behind. "Yo, Dahyun wait up!" 


The two girls stopped walking and a breathless Taecyeon managed to catch up to them. "Oh hello Nayeon," Taecyeon said and Nayeon looked at him oddly.


"Hi Taecyeon," Nayeon greeted him. "What's wrong?"


"Nothing's wrong," he said while waving a hand in front of him, smiling sheepishly. "I just have to um... tell Dahyun something."


Nayeon glanced at Dahyun in question and Dahyun looked at Taecyeon, equally as clueless. "What's up Taec oppa?" She asked. 


"Well um... What's the size of your face?" He asked. 


"What?" Both Nayeon and Dahyun let out simultaneously. What kind of question was that? 


"Is this some kind of joke?" Nayeon asked taking a step forward, as though protective of Dahyun. 


"Oh no no, I guess that came out wrong," Taecyeon tried to clarify. "What I actually meant was, I need to know the rough measurements of your head so I can better prepare a mask for you for the spring festival."


"Ah..." Dahyun nodded in understanding. Nayeon only raised her eyebrows at them, "Wait, why would Dahyun need a mask for our school's spring festival?"


"Well, you see, Dahyun's my date to the school dance," Taecyeon said with a grin, proudy.


"Oh... she is?" Nayeon asked looking at Dahyun and Dahyun threw Nayeon an apologetic look. Dahyun felt slightly guilty about this... She had totally forgetten to tell Nayeon about it. 


"So... What's your face size?" Taecyeon asked again. 


"I don't know, honestly," Dahyun said, now feeling bad for having to trouble Taeceyeon to get her a mask... Even though it was really he himself that had caused him this trouble. 


"Aha I kind of expected that," Taecyeon chirped. "So I came prepared." Taecyeon took out a strip of ribbon and a marker from his backpack. "Mind if I wrap this around your head?"


Dahyun shrugged, "Sure." And Taecyeon gently placed the ribbon on Dahyun's face, using his tumb to hold the strip just below her eyes. He wrapped it around her head and Dahyun started to laugh, "It tickles!"


Taecyeon chuckled along, "Oops sorry, hold on I'm almost done just let me draw a line here..." He said with his eyes squinting and a tongue sticking out. "... Done."


"Sweet," Dahyun said. "You better make me a super cool one okay?" She joked. 


"Of course! It'll be the coolest mask at the festival!" Taecyeon replied and they both laughed.
 

Nayeon didn't seem very happy though.

 

"Okay I'll be going now, you two go home safe alright?" He said patting Dahyun on the head, like a doting older brother would, before going off in the other direction. 


"Bye Taec oppa!" Dahyun yelled, and Taecyeon waved, with his back facing them. 

 

Nayeon started to walk in front of Dahyun as they continued their way towards the busstop. Dahyun quickened her pace to catch up to her. And Nayeon tried to walk even faster... 


"Hey Nayeon unnie why are you walking so quickly? Is the bus coming already?" Dahyun asked. 

But Nayeon ignored her. 

'What in the world?' Dahyun thought confused. 

 

"Hey Nayeon unnie, wait up!" 

 

"Nayeon unnie?"

 

Dahyun was jogging beside Nayeon now, having no problem keeping up with her. 

 

"Yah, Nayeon unnie you know I'm a sprinter from track, right?"

 

But Nayeon still ignored her. That made Dahyun a little bit sad inside. Why was Nayeon suddenly being like this?... Could it be that... Nayeon unnie is mad? Was she mad about me not telling her about going to the festival with Taec oppa? 

 

"Hey Nayeon unnie? Are you mad at me?"

Still no response. 

"Well if you're upset about me not telling you about the spring festival then... I'm sorry?"

Nayeon stopped walking at that. 

"I didn't not tell you on purpose though, it really just slipped my mind... I'm telling the truth!" Dahyun explained. 


Nayeon suddenly glared at Dahyun... "Really?" She asked Dahyun. But her glare was the sort of glare that Dahyun couldn't take seriously. In fact,  Dahyun had even found it cute. Dahyun couldn't help but let out a small chuckle. 


"Yah! Why are you laughing?" Nayeon scolded. 


Dahyun held her laughter in. "Pfft- I'm sorry. I didn't mean to laugh."


"Well what's so funny?" Nayeon huffed. 


"It's just... You're really cute Nayeon unnie," Dahyun admitted. 


Nayeon kept quiet for a while after that, before her face got red and she stormed off towards the bus stop.

 

And Dahyun couldn't tell if Nayeon was angry... Or just embarrassed.

 

"Hey wait up Nayeon unnie!" Dahyun yelled with a grin.

 


I'll definitely catch up to you one day. 


 

 

-
-


 


"Hey on the bright side though, I'll get to see you perform Nayeon unnie!" Dahyun was telling the older girl excitedly. 


Nayeon had long forgiven Dahyun, as they both sat on the bus. She wasn't even truly mad at Dahyun in the first place... How could she stay mad at someone like her? 


Dahyun had thought that she was mad at her for not telling her about being invited to the festival... But the truth is,  Nayeon was just annoyed at the fact that Taecyeon had asked Dahyun to be his date. 


She was even more annoyed that Dahyun was going to her school's dance with Taecyeon... When she could have jolly well gone with Nayeon instead. 


She had no one to blame except herself though. Nayeon could have very well asked Dahyun to go with her if she wanted to... But she was too much of a 'chicken' to do that. So she said yes to Nichkhyun instead. 


Never had she thought that Taecyeon would actually ask Dahyun to the festival. 


"Isn't that great? I've never been to a high school party!" She heard Dahyun continue. "And you'll be performing right? I can't wait to see you perform!"


Nayeon rolled her eyes before chuckling at how excited the younger girl was. She was glad that part of the reason Dahyun had said yes to Taecyeon was because of wanting to see her perform.


Dahyun started to yawn as she continued chatting with Nayeon about school amongst some other things. 


"Tired?" Nayeon asked her. 


Dahyun nodded, sleepily rubbing at her eyes. 

 

Poor thing, Nayeon thought. 

 

Dahyun's anemia might not be so bad anymore, but she was still constantly having these random sleep spells often. Thank goodness most of the time when this happened, Dahyun was sitting on the bus next to Nayeon.

 

"You can sleep on my shoulder, I'll wake you up when it's almost your stop," Nayeon told her. And Dahyun rested comfortably on Nayeon's shoulder. 

 

The older girl started to hum a tune, her hands playing with Dahyun's fingers as the younger girl began to fall asleep. 

 

Nayeon secretly loved watching Dahyun sleep.

The younger girl was just so adorable. 

 

She remembered the first time she saw Dahyun; the anemic girl had fainted into her arms. 

 

Nayeon had sent her to the hospital in a frenzy (she was even late for showchior practice) only to be too worried to leave her alone after that. So she waited for the young stranger to wake up in the ward, while making good use of her time by studying her biology text book. 

 

That was probably one of the best decision Nayeon has ever made in her life. 

 

She got to watch Dahyun sleep that day... (Talk about being creepy... But Nayeon didn't care.) Dahyun was like a pale beautiful Korean doll on the hospital bed; and Nayeon couldn't stop staring at her. 


Somehow the younger girl had seemed so fragile... Nayeon had felt the urge to protect her... To watch over her forever. 


The best part was when Dahyun woke up. Because then Nayeon got to see her dark brown eyes for the first time. Nayeon had started to panic then – when Dahyun started to stir... How would she react if she had woken up confused, in a hospital ward, with a stranger staring at her? So Nayeon had flew to the chair next to the bed, pretending to be asleep, with her biology text book still with her. 'What on earth are you doing Im Nayeon?!' She scolded herself. 


Later on she heard the nurse come in, conversing with the pale girl before she came to wake Nayeon up. 


"Yes, what is it?" Nayeon mumbled out.


"Your friend is awake now," the nurse told her. "She may be discharged. Are you seeing her home or are her parents going to come fetch her?"


"Oh I'll wait here with her till her parents get here to fetch her," Nayeon replied casually.


With that the nurse nodded and left. 


Nayeon didn't remember what happen to her biology textbook after that. But she does remember speaking to Dahyun for the first time. "Hi," she had said, and Dahyun had stared at her as though she was a ghost. 

 

She's so cute.

 

"I hope you don't mind that I kinda rummaged through your belongings," she told Dahyun. "They were asking for your name and stuff in order to register you here so... yeah..."  But to be honest I wanted to know what your name was too... Nayeon could have added. But of course she left that part out. 


Dahyun continued to keep quiet so Nayeon walked over and sat down next to her. 


"Hi there," she greeted again with a smile. Since the pale girl didn't reply, Nayeon thought that maybe she hadn't heard her the first time. 


But once again the confused Dahyun just stared at her with her hazy, half-awake, dark brown eyes... and Nayeon took the chance to admire Dahyun's clear skin and sharp eyes. Maybe it was because they were so different from her own, but Nayeon had found Dahyun's eyes, especially her single eyelids, very intriguing. (Nayeon herself had double eyelids.) Dahyun looked a little uncomfortable though, so Nayeon took the initiative to introduce herself. 


"Kim Dahyun right? I'm Im Nayeon, nice to meet you."


 

 


 

A/N: Hi everyone!:D Look, I updated a little earlier than usual! Hehehe, are y'all proud of me?:) What did y'all think of this chapter? I kinda had fun writing it, and I'm quite excited for the following chapters too:) (I can't wait to publish it and move on from there.) ((On a side note, can we all please clap for Dahyun in this story who has finally realised her feelings for Nayeon. :') Like oh my gosh, it's about time girl.))

So quite a couple of you requested for Nayeon's POV and therefore... *drumrolls*... YOUR WISH IS MY COMMAND! Hahaha, as you can see, the ending part of this chapter is in Nayeon's POV hoho. How was it? TBH I already had plans to write in Nayeon's POV, I was just waiting for the right time to add it in. So here you go my dear readers (this seemed like a right time), I hope you like it. :)

Have a great weekend all, I'll see you soon!

 

~ strangemagnet